shape
carat
color
clarity

Obama to announce tighter gun laws this week

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Australia has one of the most strictest guns laws in the world and the least number of gun related deaths. Please tell me there's no correlation? *

*so I can judge your ignorance.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1451964818|3970791 said:
momhappy|1451956125|3970721 said:
kenny|1451949306|3970672 said:
momhappy|1451949044|3970669 said:
California has some of the strictest gun laws in the US, but that didn't stop San Bernardino.
And as for having the "balls" to do something, this is like the umpteenth time he's pushed for it, so.....not sure about those balls you were referring to ;-)
Now I shall slink back to the mascara thread since these threads about the gun control debate seem to go round and round in circles =)

Okay.
But before you go, thanks for giving this Merry-Go-Round (that you criticize for being a Merry-Go Round) a push. ;-)

Well, somebody had to give it a good push :lol:
And I'm not criticizing your thread, kenny. It's a valuable topic, but it just seems to be one of those topics that goes around and and around with the same dialogue each time. Obviously, everyone should feel free to post away if they so choose to =)
It will certainly be interesting to see if any changes towards sensible gun control are actually made this time.

Often on an Internet forum a poster will 'leave' a thread saying some thing like the thread is so low it is not worthy of their perspective ... of course only AFTER posting their perspective. :roll:
Then of course they keep reading and keep posting. :roll:

Better to just not even open a clearly inferior thread started by a clearly inferior poster.
... or/and after taking their marbles and shunning the 'inferior' thread ... actually shun it ... as in, stop reading and posting.

I get the eye roll, kenny? Clearly, I've ruffled your feathers, so I apologize for that.
I suppose if I'm going to claim to do a drive-by post, then I should post and actually leave, but I never said this was an "inferior" thread - I just said that it's a controversial thread that often has a similar dialogue each time (which doesn't make it inferior).

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1451990356|3970915 said:
Exactly the point! So then kids don't get Mom/Dad's gun and shoot themselves or a family member. A parent doesn't hear a noise in the night and shoot their teenager. The kid planning a school shooting doesn't have access to weapons.

That will save some lives.

The kid planning a school shooting will just get his guns the way any other criminal does, illegally.

For every idiot parent that shoots his own kid, a lot more home invasions are stopped by a responsible person having a gun when they need it.

As for a kid of the wrong person getting ahold of the gun, I'd rather the gun owner take a little personal responsibility and secure their gun properly. Just like you don't leave your electric chainsaw plugged in around your 5 year old, you shouldn't leave your gun where they can get it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are more kids killed by parents who think they're burglars, or are more kids killed by people who have illegal guns? Gang related for instance?

We've discussed many a time the difference between Australia and the US.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gr8leo87|1451993900|3970918 said:
Australia has one of the most strictest guns laws in the world and the least number of gun related deaths. Please tell me there's no correlation? *

Round we go!

Australia already had low numbers of gun related deaths based on their population and numbers of guns. Their gun confiscation law reduced gun related suicides and accidental gun deaths but not violent gun related crime. Voluntary buy back and confiscation will not work here and attempted confiscation would turn violent. Tens of thousands of federal officers or the National Guard going door to door to take weapons from law abiding citizens - not going to happen in this country. Australia does not have a constitution like the US. No other country does. I, for one, thank God every day that I live here.

There are many articles and studies to read on Australia, Japan, Europe, etc. and their gun control. When you hear politicians talking about Australia or the UK they are really talking about gun confiscation but won't actually say it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1451976902|3970866 said:
Dancing Fire|1451976016|3970863 said:
Andelain|1451968379|3970821 said:
What I don't like about it is that he wants to make it harder for law abiding people to get guns, but it won't slow the criminals down.

No law ever will.

The whole point, exactly! The good guy will give up their guns, the bad guys will get more.

Exactly the point! So then kids don't get Mom/Dad's gun and shoot themselves or a family member. A parent doesn't hear a noise in the night and shoot their teenager. The kid planning a school shooting doesn't have access to weapons.

Exactly. A lot of shootings happened with legally obtained weapons. I don't believe every single one of those would obtain them illegally. Some would have been prevented.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Andelain|1451999193|3970938 said:

The kid planning a school shooting will just get his guns the way any other criminal does, illegally.

For every idiot parent that shoots his own kid, a lot more home invasions are stopped by a responsible person having a gun when they need it.

As for a kid of the wrong person getting ahold of the gun, I'd rather the gun owner take a little personal responsibility and secure their gun properly. Just like you don't leave your electric chainsaw plugged in around your 5 year old, you shouldn't leave your gun where they can get it.

We'll have to disagree about the school shooting point. I do think many of these kids would have trouble finding weapons if there were more regulations in place. But hard to know for sure at this point.

And I am seriously not anti gun. I'm anti stupid people with guns. Unfortunately there are many stupid people out there.

That lady who tried to shoot out a shoplifter's tires at a Home Depot a few months ago? Dumb people like her with guns scare me.

My dad has always had guns. They're locked away so no kids can get at them.

For me, it really depends on what the new regulations are and how they are inforced. I guess my feeling is so what if responsible people have to jump through a few more hoops if it stops some of the idiots?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gr8leo87|1451993900|3970918 said:

Insert ten different reasons here why that won't work in the U.S. The U.S. is a special case don'tcha know. ;-)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1452003906|3970961 said:
Andelain|1451976902|3970866 said:
Dancing Fire|1451976016|3970863 said:
Andelain|1451968379|3970821 said:
What I don't like about it is that he wants to make it harder for law abiding people to get guns, but it won't slow the criminals down.

No law ever will.

The whole point, exactly! The good guy will give up their guns, the bad guys will get more.

Exactly. A lot of shootings happened with legally obtained weapons. I don't believe every single one of those would obtain them illegally. Some would have been prevented.

So you are talking about confiscation, not better or increased background checks yes? Because background checks will not reduce accidental gun deaths. Maybe a few, but very minimal.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm seeing a lot of comments about gang related gun use. Guns are highly regulated where I live, but yeah, gang members still get them. Innocent people are caught in the middle sometimes and that is really unfortunate. For the most part, law abiding citizens aren't targeted by gangs.

As far as other criminals go, where I live most don't have guns. Friends who worked at gas stations and convenience stores at night were robbed often, but with scissors, steak knives, hammers, screw drivers. Those things can still cause damage obviously, but it's not like loads of innocent shoppers are going to get hit.

I'm not against guns, I'm just a bit floored that in some states people can buy them in parking lots.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1452004856|3970971 said:
I'm seeing a lot of comments about gang related gun use. Guns are highly regulated where I live, but yeah, gang members still get them. Innocent people are caught in the middle sometimes and that is really unfortunate. For the most part, law abiding citizens aren't targeted by gangs.

As far as other criminals go, where I live most don't have guns. Friends who worked at gas stations and convenience stores at night were robbed often, but with scissors, steak knives, hammers, screw drivers. Those things can still cause damage obviously, but it's not like loads of innocent shoppers are going to get hit.

I'm not against guns, I'm just a bit floored that in some states people can buy them in parking lots.

Hi chemgirl

The reason I am so adamant about gang related violence is the fact that the anti-gun establishment constantly refers to total gun deaths in the US. The percentage of those are overwhelmingly due to gang related activities (not adding in suicides). This skews the nation's view when causes are not linked to the numbers those people are putting forth. I am glad you live in a relatively safe area and I feel for innocent victims of any violence. And you said it, most law abiding citizens are not targeted by gangs. But those living in violent gang territory surely are. Much gang violence is against each other though and those numbers are also included in the totals.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood - why are you against registration? I don't personally have a gun or any desire to own one, but what is the problem with registering the weapon?

I'm not sure if increased background checks would save a ton of lives. I think A background check should be required, and I'm thinking these laws will address that, but a background check doesn't know if you are mentally unstable, a racist/sexist/whatever planning something or many other things.

I would also think that even if makes it a bit harder for a regular person to get a gun, is it that necessary that you have a gun w/i 24h? Why is it a problem if you have to wait a week? Unless your life is in danger AT THIS VERY MOMENT, waiting a few extra days probably isn't the end of the world. Having proper paperwork/license/etc isn't the end of the world.

I guess I'm not sure what the stricter bits will be, but I'm not sure why people are so opposed. It's not like you'll have to put your house up as collateral in case your gun is used to kill someone, so I dunno.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2nd amendment says that to maintain a well regulated militia, citizens have the right to bear arms. I don't see anywhere in that amendment it says "unrestricted access" to arms, especially arms that didn't even exist in the minds of the original writers when this amendment was created.

I have many questions for gun owners who say they are responsible but do not want apparently any regulations on the way guns are purchased, the number or the type one owns. One of them is, why does anyone need 87 guns? Even if it is legal? Even if you are using guns for hunting? Why do you need a semi automatic for shooting? Just because it's more fun?

I have heard that there are enough guns in the US to arm every man woman and child. Our country is saturated with guns. And guns are one of the biggest targets for thefts. Personally, even if new regulations reduced accidental shootings and suicides I would still see the law as a success. Gun possession can be a right. But it should be a highly regulated right. We have more regulations about driving a car than we do for someone owning a gun.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem that you are not understanding is the very fact that we have over 300 million guns in the US precludes any kind of gun registration program from working. How will this be paid for? How will already overburdened states pay for the enforcement? Since it will not solve the violence problem it is of little use and woefully cost ineffective. And it will not be enforced. That is the hard truth when it comes to spending taxpayer dollars, deciding the cost vs. benefit. Of the 51,000+ gun deaths in 2014 it is said that about 60% were suicides.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, something that pops into my head is, we have more hoops to jump thru to drive a vehicle..but none to produce new life. There are things that should be regulated. Honestly, I do not dig having the government up my ass about every little thing but I'd rather that than what we seem to want, which is full stop run rampant I can do whatever the hell I want and everyone else has to bail my ass out no matter how stupid I am.

There should be regulations on weapons, yes. I whole heartedly agree. However-please let's just stop assuming that glitter will start falling from the sky and the angels will ahhhhhhhhhhh in glorious harmony. That's not going to happen. What will happen, however, is that it will take longer for *me* to procure a firearm, but not for anyone going the illegal route. And there is no shortage of illegal firearms in this country. And there's a reason for that.

Have to put snack out so I'll have to come back later to finish.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one answered my question. Why does anyone need to legally own 86 guns?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1452025759|3971174 said:

Collectors might own many more than that. Why do you need to know how many your neighbor has?

And no one needs anything but food, water, and shelter. One does not need a 2ct diamond, etc. We have things because we want them and it doesn't matter what it is.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1. Zombie apocalypse

2. End days

3. Alien invasion

4. Refugee uprising

5. Werewolves en masse

6. you are one of my former employers in the rural Midwest who had a giant vault full of guns and other weaponry but used to house seeds.

7. you are afraid people will attack you because you are involved in some sort of illegal activity.

8. gun fetish

9. you're planning to sell them and make big bucks when any of the first 5 happen.

10. you are a cult leader and guns are your Kool-Aid of choice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SPS.
Small Penis Syndrome.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1452026335|3971183 said:

SPS.
Small Penis Syndrome.

I don't have a penis. :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1452026503|3971186 said:

SPS.
Small Penis Syndrome.

See.
That proves my point. :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1452027276|3971194 said:

SPS.
Small Penis Syndrome.

See.

Well not really, because I don't want a penis either.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Maybe for the same reason I own 86 diamonds. They want to. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1452027429|3971197 said:

SPS.
Small Penis Syndrome.

See.

Well, speaking from experience they're rather nice ... the only gun I've ever needed. ;-)
I didn't even have to register to get mine, though I'm not sure what I'd do with 86 of them. :oops:

One of those new automatic models that can shoot 842 rounds per second might be fun for target practice.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1452027772|3971199 said:

Maybe for the same reason I own 86 diamonds. They want to. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well you must be crazy! No one should own 86 diamonds. :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1452027803|3971200 said:
redwood66|1452027429|3971197 said:

SPS.
Small Penis Syndrome.

See.

Well, speaking from experience they're rather nice ... the only gun I've ever needed. ;-)
I didn't even have to register to get mine, though I'm not sure what I'd do with 86 of them. :oops:

One of those new automatic models that can shoot 842 rounds per second might be fun for target practice.

That sounds very tiring and the ammo replenishment takes time. :oops:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So they can provision entire not-so-small ultra right wing militias antithetical to the federal government, and unlawfully occupy a federal installation while wearing camo and declaring loudly how peaceful they are.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1452028078|3971203 said:

blingbox1.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1452012677|3971032 said:
We have more regulations about driving a car than we do for someone owning a gun.

I see people on the road every day who should not have this privilege.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1452028728|3971216 said:
redwood66|1452028078|3971203 said:

blingbox1.jpg

You are certifiable and should report to the psychiatrist post haste. I don't know how you have gotten away with all of that this long.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results