shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, if Greg’s headache doesn’t get any better, then contact a Dr. if only to get reassurance that it’s nothing serious. Better not to worry yourself ill too. Xxx

Thanks Austina. It's Saturday and well I am hesitant to contact the surgeon on Saturday plus Greg feels it could be due to the muscle stress and nerve manipulation from the surgery. IDK. Of course I am worried. I am going to respect his decision to not yet contact the surgeon but if it gets worse today or doesn't get better by tomorrow I am going to overrule Greg.

He says it is a 6 on a pain scale of 1-10 so that makes me worried :(
but he does say it was a 7 in the middle of the night so maybe it is getting better.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good plan @missy, you know him best. If his pain is lessening, even slightly, then perhaps tomorrow it won’t be as bad. It could be perfectly normal to be in this much pain after such major surgery, trouble is, unless you’re going through it, it’s hard to know. I know you’ll make the call based on how things go. Just remind Greg, he doesn’t have to be a hero as far as the pain is concerned.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy I Googled “headache back of head after thyroidectomy”. It seems really common. In fact some surgeons use a block to relieve pain in the area of the head, cervical area. It should lessen over time. I would still call the surgeon but it said something like 80% of people get this referred pain.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good plan @missy, you know him best. If his pain is lessening, even slightly, then perhaps tomorrow it won’t be as bad. It could be perfectly normal to be in this much pain after such major surgery, trouble is, unless you’re going through it, it’s hard to know. I know you’ll make the call based on how things go. Just remind Greg, he doesn’t have to be a hero as far as the pain is concerned.

Thank you @Austina. XO.

@missy I Googled “headache back of head after thyroidectomy”. It seems really common. In fact some surgeons use a block to relieve pain in the area of the head, cervical area. It should lessen over time. I would still call the surgeon but it said something like 80% of people get this referred pain.

Thanks Joanne. It started last night watching TV. He couldn't even handle wearing his glasses on his head. He is still in a lot of pain but it is reassuring that 80% of people who have this surgery get headache pain in a similar location. Thank you for googling it for us. XO.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just checking in to see how both of you are doing. Sorry to read he has such a bad headache. Sounds like it’s part of the recuperation. Hopefully it will subside soon. Take care.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Austina. It's Saturday and well I am hesitant to contact the surgeon on Saturday plus Greg feels it could be due to the muscle stress and nerve manipulation from the surgery. IDK. Of course I am worried. I am going to respect his decision to not yet contact the surgeon but if it gets worse today or doesn't get better by tomorrow I am going to overrule Greg.

He says it is a 6 on a pain scale of 1-10 so that makes me worried :(
but he does say it was a 7 in the middle of the night so maybe it is getting better.

Sometimes, if I’m in pain, I get a headache simply from the pain and biting my teeth too hard and the muscles in my neck straining up. Fingers crossed that’s all it is. Pain is never good, but with surgery... maybe difficult to avoid.
hugs

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Weecam and @Scandinavian

I ordered Aspercreme 30 minutes ago from our pharmacy and wow they just delivered it. Talk about great service and on a Saturday.

Fingers crossed this helps him because I am getting anxious about this headache. If it doesn't get better soon I might just text the surgeon though I really don't want to disturb him on a Saturday if this is just normal post op headache pain if you kwim. I need to save texts to him for serious matters. The problem is figuring out which is serious and which isn't.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:
I called the surgeon because Greg can’t lay down without the headache getting worse. He had me check his blood pressure which was 120/80 so a bit high for him but normal.

I also took his temperature before I called him and it was 98 so again a little high for him but still no cause for alarm.

The surgeon told me to give him Advil in an hour because I just gave him Tylenol 3.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:
I called the surgeon because Greg can’t lay down without the headache getting worse. He had me check his blood pressure which was 120/80 so a bit high for him but normal.

I also took his temperature before I called him and it was 98 so again a little high for him but still no cause for alarm.

The surgeon told me to give him Advil in an hour because I just gave him Tylenol 3.

Good that you were able to reach the surgeon and that he's not worried. I'm sorry Greg's in so much pain though. Big hugs across the miles!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you were able to get in touch with the surgeon @missy, hopefully the meds will help.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good that you were able to reach the surgeon and that he's not worried. I'm sorry Greg's in so much pain though. Big hugs across the miles!!

I’m glad you were able to get in touch with the surgeon @missy, hopefully the meds will help.

Thank you @kipari and @Austina. Sorry to be monopolizing this thread. I am still anxious as the Tylenol 3 and Advil did absolutely nothing. I gave him a CBD gummy and no relief from that either. He is now in bed laying down in pain. And I can do nothing for him. Just sitting here worried about him feeling helpless to relieve his terrible pain. :(

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @kipari and @Austina. Sorry to be monopolizing this thread. I am still anxious as the Tylenol 3 and Advil did absolutely nothing. I gave him a CBD gummy and no relief from that either. He is now in bed laying down in pain. And I can do nothing for him. Just sitting here worried about him feeling helpless to relieve his terrible pain. :(

Gentle hugs to you both ❤️

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy I don’t understand why the surgeon wouldn’t at least give him at least Tylenol 4. Percoset would probably help him but it is an opioid. Even if the surgeon gave you a small prescription and you spaced them out...he would have some relief. :(2

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
Hi Missy, has he used T#3 for his pain in the past? Tylenol #3 can be a terrible choice for pain medication, as a certain percentage of the population does not metabolize it correctly leading to poor effectiveness. His surgeon should be willing to change it to something else.
You can try Voltaren gel instead of the Aspercream, it is an OTC NSAID gel that used to be a prescription.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, has he used T#3 for his pain in the past? Tylenol #3 can be a terrible choice for pain medication, as a certain percentage of the population does not metabolize it correctly leading to poor effectiveness. His surgeon should be willing to change it to something else.
You can try Voltaren gel instead of the Aspercream, it is an OTC NSAID gel that used to be a prescription.

Thank you @oakleaf79. We have Voltaren and I did suggest that to Greg since Aspercreme did nothing. I will tell him that again and I appreciate you weighing in, thank you.
I wish the surgeons were more knowledgeable about pain meds.

ETA: He is feeling better pain now about a 4-5 so yay! I am getting some food into him right now. :)

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy - ice? As a migraineur, ice normally eases some of my pain. Ice also helped after my spinal fusions - on my throat where the incision was. Hope he gets some relief soon.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @oakleaf79. We have Voltaren and I did suggest that to Greg since Aspercreme did nothing. I will tell him that again and I appreciate you weighing in, thank you.
I wish the surgeons were more knowledgeable about pain meds.

ETA: He is feeling better pain now about a 4-5 so yay! I am getting some food into him right now. :)

Can he say onomatopoeia? That is always the test here. As long as you can pronounce that, you’re fine! (Sorry. Humour.)
Hugs.

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
@missy -- if Greg's mouth pain continues at level 5 or above out of 10, you might consider asking whether he can have a small prescription for an oral morphine rinse (used for head and neck cancer patients getting radiation, etc.) The other possibility is "magic mouthwash," which we used to give to people with severe mucositis, consisting of viscous lidocaine, liquid benadryl and an antacid. The recent research indicates that the morphine rinse is more effective.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy -- if Greg's mouth pain continues at level 5 or above out of 10, you might consider asking whether he can have a small prescription for an oral morphine rinse (used for head and neck cancer patients getting radiation, etc.) The other possibility is "magic mouthwash," which we used to give to people with severe mucositis, consisting of viscous lidocaine, liquid benadryl and an antacid. The recent research indicates that the morphine rinse is more effective.

Interesting!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @missy Just catching up. Sorry to hear about the pain Greg has! I do hope by tonight he is feeling better. Again, why couldn’t they give better pain meds?
((hugs)) and prayers that this is soon over for good! ❤️

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee i plan to set the new pink spinel in a pre loved BG Summer setting which has .2 pears on each side. I am waiting for it to arrive. I'll have a Summer ring like you if that's OK! It's a different design though lol. I hope you're having a great weekend! I'm so thrilled for you for your new diamond!
@canuk-gal I can't for you to have your Tiffany!!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee i plan to set the new pink spinel in a pre loved BG Summer setting which has .2 pears on each side. I am waiting for it to arrive. I'll have a Summer ring like you if that's OK! It's a different design though lol. I hope you're having a great weekend! I'm so thrilled for you for your new diamond!
@canuk-gal I can't for you to have your Tiffany!!!

I can’t wait to see your Summer! The pink spinel is so pretty...
I’ll have to think of a new name for my ACA because Summer Fling will be back at Whiteflash..She was fun this past year. Whoever she goes to next will love her.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIS.

@missy how is Greg‘s pain level today? I hate to hear nothing is really suppressing it. I am glad it is somewhat better and he is eating and drinking. Good idea to call the surgeon. I am keeping both of you in my thoughts. Big hugs to both of you.

@Austina how exciting Adam and Kim are getting married. I hope you can FaceTime to watch the ceremony.

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Sunday lovely ladies. Greg slept much better last night and his headache is down to a 3 woohoo! Thank you for your continued well wishes and warm support.

@missy - ice? As a migraineur, ice normally eases some of my pain. Ice also helped after my spinal fusions - on my throat where the incision was. Hope he gets some relief soon.

Thanks @caf I will have Greg try that if his headache gets out of control again. I am glad this helps relieve your pain. I know migraines can be challenging and am glad this helps you. I appreciate you sharing.

Thanks @springerspaniel his throat pain was much better by day 3 and he is eating yay. I will keep this in mind if he (or I) need future surgeries or radiation. Appreciate this info. XO.

Hi @missy
hope Greg's pain is getting less
poor thing xxx

Thank you sweet Nicky. He is feeling much better this morning. Headache pain is a 3 (but he did take ibuprofen when he woke this AM). It seems the magic combo is Tylenol alternating with ibuprofen.

Oh @missy Just catching up. Sorry to hear about the pain Greg has! I do hope by tonight he is feeling better. Again, why couldn’t they give better pain meds?
((hugs)) and prayers that this is soon over for good!
❤️

Thank you sweet @Slick1 good luck today with the apartment search. Fingers crossed this is the one. It's so much more reasonable outside of Brooklyn. Crazy prices where we live. As for why the surgeons aren't better with pain med RX I feel it is the fear of getting in trouble prescribing the appropriate stronger meds. It is IMO criminal not to mitigate the terrible pain especially after surgery. Stop being so freaking afraid of doing what is right for the patient. :/

Hugs and have fun today and please keep me posted. XO.

Thinking about dear Greg @missy Thinking nonstop and hoping he is no longer in pain and is eating and drinking.

Thank you sweet @bling_dream19. He is doing much better but has not eaten breakfast. He doesn't want anything right now but I will make sure he does eat something in a bit.

@missy how is Greg‘s pain level today? I hate to hear nothing is really suppressing it. I am glad it is somewhat better and he is eating and drinking. Good idea to call the surgeon. I am keeping both of you in my thoughts. Big hugs to both of you.

Thanks @marcy. He is much better this morning and fingers crossed that continues. Yeah I felt weird before I called the surgeon as I was dialing but that melted away when he picked up and I started telling him what was going on. I am a bit perturbed he didn't tell me this could happen as it seems a common side effect. In fact when I told him Greg had a bad headache the surgeon was surprised and asked if Greg got headaches in the past. Um no. And scientific evidence shows that up to 80% of post TT patients have bad headaches. Yet he seemed like this was unusual causing me further concern. But I took his blood pressure as directed and it was OK so his suggestion of taking ibuprofen was a decent one though he told me only 2. But we alternated for the rest of the day and hope that was safe. We didn't go over the recommended limit of 4000 for Tylenol or 6 Advils for the day so again hope that was safe. I was hoping the surgeon would call back and check in on Greg later but nope. So I went ahead and did what I thought was best. LOL sorry for the long explanation.

Hope you have a good Sunday and that your weekend is uninterrupted by work @marcy

@oakleaf79 thank you again for sharing that info. Which oral pain med do you recommend for post surgical pain? Thank you.

@canuk-gal hope you get to cycle today too. I am living vicariously through you and I am also with you. I like the seasons and wouldn't want just one season despite occasional complaints of the (too) cold and (too) hot temps lol. XO.

@MamaBee a big fat THANK YOU for everything yesterday. It is so helpful being able to bounce ideas off you and get to share in your expertise. You were a big comfort and help yesterday and I so appreciate it. (((Hugs))). And girl, keep us posted. I am so impatient to get our, umm I mean your F back.

@Scandinavian haha I love anything that makes us laugh or smile. Hugs to you and hope you are having a lovely weekend.

@kipari how is the flood fix going by you? Thinking of you.

A big thank you to everyone who has chimed in with advice, hugs and good wishes. It doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. Quite the opposite in fact. Thank you so much and big hugs to all of you who are here for me. Know I am here for you too. I am a Leo and we are loyal to the max and beyond. ((((HUGS)))).

This is for @rainwood a video I took for Joanne yesterday but know you will enjoy it too. Presenting Princess Gracie in all her splendor as she was sitting on my lap kneading yesterday afternoon.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.28.53 AM.png

Have a happy big dog Sunday lovely ladies. Hugs to Bertie and @Austina too and your son and soon to be DIL. I am dedicating today's thread to them. XOXO.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning lovelies

Oh @missy, I can’t tell you how relieved I am to hear that Greg had a better night, and that his pain is less. Of course, if the surgeon had told you these are known side effects, it would have lessened your anxiety considerably. Hopefully, Greg will eat later when he feels like it, and start to rebuild his strength. Good news that his BP is ok too, hoping you’ll both have a better day today.

Nothing happening here, we’re staying in, staying safe, and have started a new series on Amazon, called Hunters. Bit undecided at the moment, but we’ll see how it goes.

Adam FT yesterday while Kim was out getting her ER checked, she knocked it the other day and damaged a claw. She was also going to look at wedding bands. He says he doesn’t want a ring, this has got to be the most no fuss wedding ever :lol: Bertie absolutely adores Adam, he sat with his head in his lap while he stroked between his eyes.

Big hug and love to all the NIRDI, hope you’re all having a good weekend. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The surgeon called me this morning. He wants Greg in Tuesday and doesn’t want us to wait til our Thursday appointment. He might have to drain the wound. He had me text him photos. It’s very red and swollen but it’s not tender so I don’t think it’s infected.

Anyway he also said no more Advil because he’s concerned about the kidneys. Idk why he’s concerned as far as I know Greg has good kidney function but he’s the expert so no more Advil only Tylenol. I hope Greg’s headache doesn’t ramp up now.

I’m glad the surgeon called but it’s a real hassle going in at the end of day Tuesday with traffic and waiting and our Thursday appointment was first thing so way less challenging and stressful but I just said ok. He is the expert and if he wants to see Greg Tuesday (Monday they’re closed due to MLK Jr Day) then Tuesday we’ll go.

One day at a time.
Thanks for letting me share. ❤️

Anyone want to see a photo? Warning don’t look if you get queasy. It’s not that bad but we all have different tolerances.

52788B85-417A-447D-8E00-49B6FFD8B058.jpeg

4EFB508A-050F-4E36-AF0E-D9D8F6015508.jpeg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s good to have clarification on the meds @missy, and better that he can see Greg sooner rather than later, even if it’s going to be difficult getting there and back. FWIW, Greg’s throat looks a lot better than I was expecting, looks like the surgeon has made a pretty neat job.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s good to have clarification on the meds @missy, and better that he can see Greg sooner rather than later, even if it’s going to be difficult getting there and back. FWIW, Greg’s throat looks a lot better than I was expecting, looks like the surgeon has made a pretty neat job.

He asked me to palpate the wound making sure it’s not hard. I have no clue. I told him it felt firm but not like a rock. I’ve no clue how it should feel. I do know it’s not hot nor tender and so I take that as a good sign. But as I wrote I follow instructions to the letter when it comes to medical issues like this. I listen to the expert. I know enough to know I don’t know enough. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results