shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Junebug, I totally understand what you meant and thank you so much. You have been nothing but supportive, warm and encouraging and I appreciate that. Sharing my feelings here does help you are so right. It's just that this year has been so much of me not being my happy self due to health issues and it is weird for me to see it all written down like that sometimes. People who don't know me would think I am a different person reading some of what I have written over the past year but that's OK. As long as it continues to help and my PS friends continue to support and encourage me I will continue posting in this thread. I do look forward to the day though where this thread is more for sharing happiness and health.

I am dealing with seborrheic dermatitis of my face but as with many conditions there is no cure for seb derm but there are treatments that can help control it. Sometimes finding the treatments that work for each individual can be difficult and not straightforward. Today I am applying MCT oil on my face (my dh is so good to me as he went out as soon as the health food store opened this morning to get some for me) for moisturizing as all my other moisturizers irritate me. I hope the MCT will help. It is fractionated coconut oil and does not feed the yeast in seb derm as Coconut oil does. Basically I have an allergy to the naturally occurring yeast we have on our bodies. Nice right haha. Leave it to me. First rosacea, then eczema and now seb derm. I think I have had almost all the skin conditions (with the exception of psoriasis that is) one can have lol.

Have a great weekend Junebug and thank you for listening. (((Hugs))).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, now that you mention it, I remember the combo that my dermatologist that finally worked on the severe eczema on me as a kid. It was three creams, a bactroban, (probably an old name), one cream to deal with yeast, and a steroid cream. I had tried so many dermatologists before her, probably no less than 10. It was going on for about 2 years nonstop before I found her. I owe my teenage years to her. I guess it shows that so many things can be going on at the same time. With meds that didn't work, the wound would heal up for a couple of days, and then break open and puss up again. It was in a spot where I could not wear a normal bra. Clothes rubbing would open up the wound. I could not do anything active when I was 12-13 cause it would hurt too much. Maybe that is why I feel unleashed as an adult. Lol! I feel for you Missy. I will keep praying that the right combo of meds, weather conditions, emotional conditions, hormone conditions will help you heal up. If you are interested in maybe talking to my derm, let me know. She's in SF but in today's day and age, there must be a way to communicate right? My whole family goes to her now.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1417251303|3792207 said:
Of course I missed things, LLJsMom really you saved the bag for me? That is so sweet! I have no clue what to say here but perhaps there is a way that we can connect as I would love to know all about it.:)))

Junebug hi! Nice to have you here!

Callie you are so very sweet for saying that you missed me! I promise that I will come back tomorrow.

Hi Ovi, wow, a Russian ball in Vienna? That's a whole other world... Wow... You sound like a princess. My handle on ebay is pjajanpat. You can send me an email through ebay if you are interested. I haven't posted it yet but I will so you can see the pics. I don't think I will get many offers on it but I am in no rush. I'm kind of a loser seller because I feel emotionally attached to my pieces so I have no problems refusing offers that are too low for me. If you like it, let me know. I would not mind going lower if I know it will go to a loving home. :)

As an aside, being in trade means you can't post your pieces? Oh, I'm not familiar with PS rules for trades people.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls, it sounds like everyone had a nice Thankgiving.

Missy, I'm sorry you are still having problems with your face. In the pictures you have posted your skin looks beautiful. I believe you when you say that is not the case. Do you think it's a matter of finding the right combination of medicines? The problem lies in how the heck do you find the correct combination. That has to be so frustrating. The whole trial and error thing instead of just applying something and having it work. What you have sounds exactly what my niece as. At first she kept thinking it was standard breakouts. After seeing her skin the other day there is no way that is the case. Her description is exactly what you are saying. The bumps look like a skin condition to me and not normal breakouts. She is as frustrated with her skin as you are. She told me she just wants to cry when she looks in the mirror. Like you, she has always had beautiful skin, which makes it all the more hard to deal with. I bought her a new bottle of her favorite cover up, which made her extremely happy. I told not to stress too much because at least we found her something to hide the outbreaks. That seemed to calm her down A little bit.

I'm terrible about exercising. I even joined a gym near our home and after six months cancelled the membership because I never stepped a foot in the place. I think I will join again after the first of the year and force myself to go. My weight hasn't changed but I have noticed my body has changed a bit this past year. I need to get off my butt. I have done nothing but eat for two days straight and tonight we are going to my brother and sister in laws for pizza. I dread jumping on that damn scale tomorrow.

Junebug, I'm glad you seem to be hanging in there okay. I'm glad you are posting a little bit more. You and Missy were the reason I started posting in the first place. I really have missed you and worry about you. I know how thought this past year has to have been on you. I'm glad you are going to therapy. It amazing how that help us deal at times. I have gone myself in the past and it really help me put things in perspective and just deal with everything. Do you have a close friend you can get out with? Sometimes it really helps to go sit with a girlfriend for a few hours too. It is nice to be able to post here as well. I know I have said way more then I probably should have on this site. Please know you are not alone in dealing with your mom.

How old are your kids? I remember you saying you are close to your daughter. I had to laugh at your Chinese dinner on Thanksgiving. My brother and his kids were joking about how next year they wanted to have pizza for Thanksgiving dinner. He said it's their favorite dinner. My mom said if thats the case next year she was making spaghetti and we could all come over for that. We are not huge turkey lovers. My husband was complaining yesterday because we had another Thanksgiving dinner with his family. He kept saying that he had a taste for pizza.

OV, I hope you have a wonderful time at the ball. Tell us about the dress you are wearing? I'm sure you will look gorgeous. I hate the fact that you can't show pictures of your jewelery. Can you tell us about the gems you found?

LLJSMOM, How is your father in law feeling? Where do you live? I'm assuming someplace warmer since you are looking at bikes.

Marcy, We miss you. I hope your having a wonderful time.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi girls, I wanted to write really quick, I am very tired after the ball last night and spent the night in Vienna. It is kind of fun but it is also work related too, I mean balls are new to me, I love dinners and events but balls are completely different. They are more modern though these days, there was one room with great jazz music. Lots of wine of course, no wonder I feel a bit tired even now. I do love getting dolled up Missy although I did my own hair this time, I hate what they did to it last time. It made me look old I think. I thought of posting a photo but again probably not as I am obviously wearing bling. Gemstones, well, that is also something I cannot discuss here sadly but I fell for something not expensive so that will make it as part of my collection tomorrow, then so many projects I need to think of but it is a lot of fun, takes long and it is very plausible, keep changing my mind and then finally the process of making and having something completed is so wonderful and then of course wearing it. Dresses, now I wore the same dress to both balls as I am not that into ball gowns, I wear dressed all the time, I never wear pants but I normally wear an evening gown to these balls and my fave was the one I wore to both. It was a great buy at a great price last year, many of my coctail dresses cost more but this dress is pretty unique.

LLJsmom it is really nice to have you here on this thread! I will check out your account, thanks a lot. I tried searching but had no luck. Junebug great to have you here too! I need to address more of your posts just a really busy time for me. Callie, you are such a sweethear and I miss Marcy too.

Please let us know Missy how this new treatment works for your face, hope you are feeling better. Honestly, on the photos you do look awesome, I think you overworry like me, ok I know this feels very uncomfortable to have the itching but you look flawless and really gorgeous, hope that in another 9 years or so that is between us I would look anything close to what you look like, well, I may not be as thin but you excel at maintaining wonderful condition in all regards. I think your previous sport hobbies will also really help with your healing.

Hugs to you all and will try to come back as soon as I can, I have three crazy days coming up with travels, meetings, fun and work, lots of things, then I will have two days off to write more. I cannot wait but I also love being busy at times, all the action in the fall and winter is great because otherwise it can be a pretty depressive time for me as I really am a warm weather person.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies, hope everyone enjoyed the rest of their weekend.

LLJsmom, thank you for sharing what you went through regarding your skin issues. I can only imagine how difficult that was at such a young age. I am glad you finally got relief though it took so long and glad you have such a good derm. Thank you for offering to help facilitate a phone conversation or such with her. I hope my derm is able to figure out something that will help me but I will keep your offer in mind just in case. My face feels like it is on fire and the last 2 days have been awful skin days. My face is burning and itching at the same time and nothing I do helps. I am trying to put it out of my mind and we did have a good weekend despite the discomfort.

How is your FIL doing? He must be so glad to be at home with family.

Callie, I so feel for your niece. I wish I had some advice or recommendation for her. I had high hopes for the raw honey treatment and perhaps I gave up to soon as I didn't go past 2 and a half weeks and should have probably given it a month. So I might start that again as I am feeling desperate. Does your niece have a good dermatologist? If she does have seb derm she should avoid certain ingredients that feed the yeast so that leaves out the standard moisturizers that make it worse. Again I am so sorry she is dealing with this and I hope she finds relief soon.

Did you enjoy the pizza last night? I say don't step on the scale as the number doesn't matter. It's not a good time to do that anyway. The hardest part about exercising is just starting in my opinion. Just pick something you enjoy or dislike the least and start. Also diversifying what you do can help with the boredom. Even just walking is a great start. I know with the weather being cold it is not conducive to getting out there and walking but do you have any large indoor malls near you? That might be a good way to start walking when the weather is not nice out. Or an indoor track near you?

How is your mom doing? I hope she is feeling better and stronger and not being stubborn or giving you a hard time. I am thinking of her and hoping she is well.

Ovi, I bet you looked gorgeous at the ball! And I wish you would post a pic. I cannot see why that would be against the rules as long as we don't talk about your jewels. I would love to see your favorite evening gown. I just love getting dressed up as long as I am feeling well that is.

I hope the next few days you anticipate being crazy busy aren't bad at all and go fast and easily for you and are productive. I know what you mean about this time of year. It gets dark early and even in the mid afternoon it feels dreary. It has that winter feel to the air even though we are still in autumn. We will be here whenever you have a chance to come and chat. (((Hugs))) to you too.

Marcy, I hope the vacation with Marty was a success and you are both all rested and relaxed. Thinking of you and looking forward to catching up soon.

HeyJunebug, I hope you are feeling relaxed as well and enjoyed a good weekend. And hope your mom is doing well.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies!

Missy, your nieces are adorable. I can tell they are pretty happy and proud to be posing with Aunt Missy. Greg’s dinner looks delicious! I am glad you had a nice Thanksgiving with good food and your family. I hate to hear your face is so irritated. Sometimes when my skin gets bad I do better to simply leave it alone for a few days then try topical stuff in small places to see what might help. The worst rash / hives attack I ever had was from some anti-inflammatory meds prescribed for me knees. There wasn’t a spot on my body that wasn’t broke out. It lasted about 2 weeks. I swear I itched so bad I was almost insane from it. I sure hope you get some relief soon.

Callie, sorry to hear it has been snowing there. It was around 60 where I live yesterday but the cold came back today. It sounds like you had fun with two thanksgivings and seeing your families; but agreed food this week has been awful. It seems like that is all we did on vacation is eat. How fun to go shopping for baby clothes. I am with you – the older I get the less I like to be cold. I am a big fan of heated seats; my car also has a heated steering wheel. I love it.

Junebug, we did enjoy our vacation. Did you have a good Thanksgiving? How are you doing? Thank you (for my shutters).

LLJsmom, I am glad to hear your FIL is home. Hopefully he’ll adjust to the new diet with time. I was excited to see the BGD sale but I’ve spent far too much money on jewelry this year. Wouldn’t we have a blast all going shopping together? I am with you on only having and buying things I really want. We simply have too much stuff we don’t use or wear.

Ovi, the Russian Ball sounds like a divine evening. I love colored gemstones so can you at least tell me what it is? Color? Shape? What you would do with it? That peaked my curiosity immediately.

We got home about 6 pm yesterday. Our flight home didn’t go as expected. They overbooked first class and since we bought our tickets with miles they downgraded us to economy. Marty will be calling and calling until he gets his miles back. We were not pleased. They had a major traffic jam on the interstate but we were able to take an exit to head back towards Denver and drove over to state highway and came home that way. I miss the warm weather but I am glad to be home.

I honestly didn’t buy much in Arizona. I did some shopping online this afternoon though. I ordered a custom t-shirt for Marty with a picture of one of his poker chips on it; he had them made for his mancave. I ordered myself a new Tumi bag and wristlet. I have the same style of bad now in 3 colors. It just “works” though. I also ordered some gift cards for my employees and a friend to Olive Garden.

Take care everyone!
Have a great Monday.
Marcy

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Marcy, you're back! Sorry about the airplane thing. SOOOO annoying. Yeah, you should get your points back. Not your fault THEY overbooked.

Hi Ovi, a ball? Sorry, not exactly over it. Still sounds so glamorous. Wait a second. A ball. Does that mean that you would need a "ball gown", like those fancy long, sequined dresses that people wear for like the Miss USA pagent? I'm not exactly of that crowd so I didn't even know there were balls anymore. But, this is in Europe, so maybe it's different. Also, I'm sure that "upper" classes in the US have the events. I can't wait to see you new gemstone. ;))

Hi Callie, I know exercising can be hard. You just need to take the first step. You can do it! I believe in you! Just make yourself do it until it becomes an addiction. I know I am addicted to the high that I get after working out hard. I know. Maybe what I am saying sounds pretty far fetched, but it can happen. Don't wait until your health is in serious danger.

Missy, I am SO sorry it has been bad-skin days recently. I can only imagine your pain and discomfort with the itching and burning. What are things that you do to distract yourself from the discomfort, even temporarily? At least, you probably don't eat your stress away. ;-) You're so slim and in trim. I have to say. Given that you can't go all out exercising, I am amazed and so impressed that you are able to stay in such good shape. Btw, you mentioned that my DH shouldn't use Shimano SPD pedals. Can I ask why? He ended up buying a Specialized Tarmac, entry level. It came with the pedals. I have a girlfriend who had a really bad accident b/c she used clips. If you have any advice in general, I am happy to pass on to the DH. This is his first road bike. And he loved it. He randomly went out on a 17 mile ride yesterday, and said it was so easy.

Ok, here's the shopping low down. Only bought something from lululemon yesterday. I get a down jacket on sale for $99. It has vent zippers on the left and right side. They said it was for running, but I could not wear it on a hard run because I would get too hot. However, it would be great for wearing day to day cause I get cold all the time. I wear heavy jackets in my office. DH got a jacket from lululemon, and I got one for my son. That is it. I am so proud of myself. Did not OD. and I skipped the intergem show. Since I have a ring coming, I don't want to be tempted. Bad PSer must not come out to play. :devil: Marcy, you were pretty restrained too! However, we are just on Sunday. Things can get bad between now and New Year's day...

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy And All:

I've been AWOL from the thread. MAN that Greg he can COOK! I love me some man with cooking skills! :appl: Missy, you married well, hahahaha.

My beloved 12-year-old Westie, Finn, we thought we would have to euthanize him the day after Thanksgiving so Tgiving was a painful painful day for Bob and me and our female Westie, Maggie. Many, many trips to the vet to try to save him. He woke up with a sore paw one morning that lamed him on the right front leg. The tripoding that resulted from nonuse of the right front leg trashed his right rear leg which has patellar luxation and was kinda not the best. So he had two legs, both left side, that were functional which meant he could not walk, stand, pee/poop, eat/drink you name it. We carried him everywhere, we handfed him, etc. He's our baby boy. On Friday at the vet as a last ditch we put him on prednisone and an antibiotic since we believe he badly sprained the right front paw but there could be skin involvement too.

He walked on his own yesterday, used all 4 legs albeit looks like an ex-NFL football player, kinda gimpy and sore looking, but my baby is walking, eating and drinking and peeing on 4 legs.

I was thinking of VL and Murry and I hoped I could handle things as well as VL did, he made Murry happy and secure his last 2 years.

I'm telling you all, I don't know that I could get a pet ever again. I feel like I've been hit by a train.

Thank you for 'listening' and Missy, its a threadjack but I thought you would understand.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kristie I'm so sorry about your past few days. Thankfully Finn is doing better. In all honesty this is one of my worst fears so I can imagine how awful the past few days had to be for you and your husband. I think saying you feel like you've been hit by a train is putting it mildly. I'm so happy he is improving. I had not had a pet since I was a child and we got a dog almost four years ago. I'm in my fifties and can honestly say I am amazed at how this little baby has my husband and I wrapped around her little finger. I don't have children so she literally is our baby. It doesn't hurt that she is only 7 pounds and loves being cuddled. My heart broke for VL when I read he lost Murry.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Callie: thank you for you caring response. I'm 55, no children, and my DH and I just adore these dogs. Maggie, our female, we took her to Houston twice for bilateral hip replacements (only 4 vets in the US do small dog hip replacements, best one and originator, dr William Liska, is who we chose). I hope your sweet pup is healthy and had lots of wonderful Thanksgiving treats :dance:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I'm so glad I didn't inadvertently make you feel bad, what a relief! Thank you so much for the explanation of your skin issue, I have a much better understanding now. Sounds like a lot of trial and error is involved in figuring out what will relieve the condition, and you have to give whatever you try enough time to see if it works. Ugh, SO frustrating! Your dh is a real sweetie but you already know that, fingers crossed the MCT oil helps. Like LLJsmom, I hope you can somehow reach the point where everything falls into place and you start to heal. I'm pulling for you, and don't hesitate to vent whenever you want! I'm a big believer in venting lol.

Calliecake, thanks for your concern, it feels nice to have someone thinking of me! My daughter is 25 and my son is 22. I cannot believe how old they have gotten! I honestly don't know where the years have gone, it almost frightens me sometimes how quickly the time goes by. I unfortunately have lost touch with the few friends I have because I'm at my mother's so much during the week - I'm home on Wednesdays and on weekends but those days are taken up with family things, errands, housecleaning, etc. And honestly I just don't have the energy to pick up the phone and get back in touch with friends, although I know I should because it would be good for me. I do visit a really good friend once in a while and stay for a weekend at her condo - it is so much fun! Like a mini-vacation. Of course by Sunday I'm homesick and ready to go home haha, but getting away for a few days is very refreshing and invigorating. I hope everything is going ok with your family. How has your mother been doing recently?

Ovi, the ball sounds so glamorous! I hope you enjoy yourself, even though it's also work-related. I'll bet you look just beautiful in your gown and jewelry!

Welcome home marcy! So sorry about the seat snafu, beyond annoying - I had to laugh when you said Marty was going to keep calling until he gets the miles back, my husband would do the same exact thing!

Kristie, I am so sorry to hear about Finn's health crisis and all you have been through these past days - you're right, it's really traumatic to go through this - and it does feel like being hit by a train. I am thrilled to hear he is doing better, I'll be hoping he continues to improve - keep us posted and hugs to you!

LLJsmom, your new jacket sounds really nice! I was just thinking today I need a new winter coat, something really warm. Hate the cold weather, a lot. You showed great restraint in not going to the intergem show! Lately I've had such an urge for new bling, I know I use it as an escape and a diversion from stress and anxiety - but I can't help it, I love the sparklies! ;(

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone, I hope all is well.

Missy, I hope your face is feeling better soon. I talked to my niece today and she still has no relief. Her family teases her which I think is down right cruel. I'm just glad she takes it well. I swear she calls me for sympathy. When she is home she puts nothing on her face hoping that will help but so far nothing has. I believe she goes to the doctor next week but even that doesn't make her feel much better because nothing they have given her in the past couple months has helped much. She is seeing her friends dermatologist because she couldn't get in with with hers until January. Thank goodness for cover up makeup. How is your toe feeling?

Marcy, I laughed out loud when I read about the miles. I swear our husbands are so similar. There is no way my husband would give up until those miles were back in his account. He flys American and they have really been good about putting the miles back anytime there is a problem.

OZ, I'm so glad you had a good time at the ball. What a glamorous life you lead! I hope your work week goes well and isn't too stressful this week.

JuneBug, Please just try to make some time just for yourself so you don't get burned out. Being the caretaker is stressful and can be so overwhelming. Like you really needed me to tell you that. It sounds like you are close to your kids and your right, the time does go by so quickly. They are the same ages as my nieces and nephews and the time seemed to fly by. The grew up so fast. Do they still live at home or are they on their own now? One of my girlfriends is recovering from knee surgery. I wanted to go see her this week but my husband is having surgery on Wednesday so I may have to put it off until next week.

LLJsmom, I'm really going to try to at least use the treadmill this week. Not too difficult considering its in the basement. I just have to get motivated to actually do it. I'm lucky in I don't really think I've gain much weight. I just need to get more exercise in now that I'm not out working in the yard. Congrats on not going crazy shopping this week. I purposely didn't go shopping this weekend because I knew I'd just buy something I really don't need. Jewelry is out of the question right now as I've had two really big purchases in the past 18 months. I need to give jewelry a rest a bit longer or my husband will kill me. I love the necklace you purchased for your daughter. She is going to be thrilled when she sees it. My nieces are in their twenties and I know they would love it. You are a good mom! How is your father in law feeling?

Kristie, Please let us know tomorrow how Finn is feeling. Has Maggie been fine since her surgery? That had to be scary as well. It must be a difficult surgery if only 4 doctors will perform it. How old are your dogs? I'm freaking out because they want to put our dog under anesthesia to clean her teeth. Have your dogs had to have this done? The vet reassured me last week that she will be fine. I can imagine how I'd be if she had to have a surgery.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kristie, please let us know about your darling baby. Now I must have missed what happened that led to you thinking you have to put him down. I understand that he became all of a sudden unable to walk, go to the bathroom but how on Earth did this happen, was it sudden? I sure hope he does improve. I am very scared for you and him. I hope he only needs the steroids short-term and remains well afterwards. My Pumie too has PL and hip dysplasia, I know it is very painful for them, he has such a hard time moving around but is still doing really well in general and seems happy. I wonder if something else happened to your baby. I am so glad he is still with you and improving.

Today I have to run but will be back as soon as possible. Girls, yes, this year is the first time I am going to these balls, it is also work related but definitely cool and I sure love getting dolled up. The dress, well, it varies what women wear but anymore I see less and less women in really nice gowns even though balls are so much interconnected with Vienna, it is a tradition. I should buy a new gown since I wore the same evening gown to the last two balls, the Hungarian and Russian ones, totally different people so it was ok. Problem is with these long dresses it is impossible to dance even though I kind of felt like it at the last ball, so they defeat the purpose.:))) Maybe I need something a bit shorter. Some ladies wore such long tails that others kept tripping over, it was quite funny.:))) I think the most high end though that I saw women dressed though was when I visited Cannes, there I saw an incredible show of dressed and bling.

Missy, I hope you are fine today. I loved hearing from Callie, LLJsmom and nice to have you back again Marcy! Sorry about your trip not being as smooth as planned, it just seems that anymore things like this happens a lot to us. Hugs to you all and sorry I could not address everything now,

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kristie, I am so relieved Finn is walking now and that the prednisone helped! I totally get how you are feeling about Finn and you know my heart goes out to you. Losing a beloved fur baby is horrible and heartbreaking and soul shattering. I am sending powerful PS healing vibes to Finn for a complete and long recovery. (((Hugs))) to you both!

Also just want you to know this thread is as much your thread (and everyone who is posting here's thread) as my thread and sharing feelings here is what this thread is about so it is not really a threadjack at all.

Marcy, that sucks about the downgrade and of course the airlines should give you those miles back. I know your dh will make sure they do. Unbelievable. Why did they have to put you in coach? Was there no business class on the plane? No seats available there either? I am glad you guys were able to navigate the traffic on the way home and figure a better way to avoid the huge backup. I hate traveling on the holidays. Too many people everywhere lol.

LLJsmom, I had the Shimano SPD clipless (despite the name the shoes clip into the pedal) pedals when I had my cycling accident and the reason I was so badly injured was because my shoes would not unclip from the bike when we fell. So my the bike and pedal went one way and my foot/leg still attached to the pedal during and after the fall went the other and broke. It turns out that it is not easy to unclip from those pedals when you fall horizontally. There are much safer clipless pedals out there. My dh has the LOOK clipless pedals and they unclip way more easily.

Obviously I didn't know about that feature of the Shimanos at the time and had been using them successfully for 15 years. The big difference is I never fell with them until this past June. So please ask your dh to do some reading about all the available pedals/shoes out there to find the right ones for him. Good for him for cycling and I hope he loves his new bike! Do you ever cycle with him? It was (is?) one of our favorite things to do together.

What happened to your friend who had the bad cycling accident? Is she doing OK? I am so sorry. It's amazing how you don't really even think about an accident happening to you till it does. I was/am risk adverse and still this happened. No way you can be 100% prepared all the time but if I can prevent what happened to me from happening to others I will. So I am spreading the word about those Shimano SPDs and warning about clipless pedals in general. If you are a serious cyclist you do need some form of attachment to the pedals but there are options available.

About how I handle the stress, well not working out for over 3 months was very emotionally challenging as that is how I deal with stress. Working out and exercising and just moving getting those endorphins going. So it was a challenging time emotionally as well as physically. I wasn't perfect eating wise but I tried my best and knew if I ate junk it would make me feel that much worse.

So I ate well (as per the surgeon's instructions) and didn't skimp on calories or nutrition because that would hurt my healing process. I allowed myself the treat of cashews and pistachios (love nuts of all kinds including people haha) and I didn't care if I gained some weight as all I wanted to do was heal properly and get better. I knew if I had to I could get back to where I was shape wise as soon as I was stronger and more capable.

So not stressing about not working out was something I actively worked on mentally as well as taking it one day at a time because looking ahead too far was too overwhelming. That's what worked for me. One day at a time and compartmentalizing my feelings so they didn't get out of control. Tried not worrying about everything all at once if that makes sense. I also knew there was a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel based on other PSers sharing their similar experiences and based on what my surgeon told me. That got me through the toughest times. Now with my skin issue I don't see that light and I am very scared.

Junebug, I agree with Callie. Please take it easy and make time for yourself too. You are an amazing caregiver but if you don't take care of yourself then you won't be as able to take care of your mom and your family. I know it is easier said than done but I am saying it from my heart.

And vent here whenever. I am also a big believer in getting our feelings out and sharing them as it helps lessen their weight somehow. (((Hugs))).

Callie, the only good thing (LOL this is as far from good as anything ever has been right now) about my face issue is I don't even care about my leg and toe right now. Not kidding. I feel for your niece and I cannot believe her family teases her about her skin if it is as bad as all that. Please tell your niece I understand how she is feeling and I am thinking of her.

I hope you get on the treadmill today and just do a little bit if that's all you feel like doing but at least do it for a bit. You'll see. It's just getting started that's the hardest part. You go Callie!

Hey Ovi, have a productive few days and we all look forward to hearing from you. We want deets on the dress and the ball. :appl:

I am beside myself right now as I woke up and my face is worse than ever. A red bumpy mess and I am not exaggerating. I am trying to hold it together as there is nothing to be gained from freaking out but I am totally at a loss as to what to do. If I apply steroids in a couple of days it will be better but then I go through the rebound horror again. Not sure this is what I am experiencing now or not or a reaction from the MCT oil or not. I don't know. Appointment with my derm is next Tuesday Dec 9th but like your niece Callie I am not sure they will be able to help as nothing he or his associate gave me so far has helped besides steroids which is NOT a fix and in the long run will make it worse.

I truly feel like this is as bad or even worse than my accident. I seriously cannot look in a mirror without feeling sick to my stomach. Not to mention the discomfort is up there. Not as bad as my leg pain obviously but very unpleasant. And I have PT this morning and my breast mammo/ultrasound tomorrow and am thinking of canceling. I don't want to show myself in public right now. Makeup cannot cover this. ;(

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy, like you I really dislike using steroids.
however, they are not meant to be used just periodically.
once you start using it you really should complete the course.
I had to do this and it still took me years and many times repeating the course of steroids.
I had three steroid creams that I used in a specific order for a certain number of days/weeks as the dermatologist prescribed.
now? if I have a flare up I can use one for a week, sometimes less, to get rid of the flare up.
the hard part is that it took years to get to where I am now with my facial skin.
like you I didn't care about the other areas of the body.
I know how frustrating this is on so very many levels.
the important thing is to get stabilized and then branch out.
also, if you haven't tried it yet: Egyptian Magic.
it can be used over the steroid to create a sealing barrier and just used on its own as well.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Missy, I'm so sorry. Is it bad in one spot or all over? Are you sure makeup won't cover it? Are you wearing makeup in your photos? I'd be freaking out too, it's your face for heavens sake. I wish I had some suggestions but I've got nothing. My niece was using the honey treatment you recommended but she said that didn't seem to be working as she noticed no change at all after about a week. The thing that amazes me is both of of you started experiencing all these problems when the weather changed. Could all of this be due to the cold dry weather or do you think it would of happened anyway? Do you think the doctor has diagnosed the problem correctly? Maybe getting a second opinion is needed now. I'm so sorry I have nothing helpful to add. Please know I'd feel the way you are feeling.

Please try to get yourself in the mindset that they have to find the correct combination of medicines to get this under control. It's not hopeless they just have to figure out what works for you.

It's fine for you to tell me to just be quiet (or you can use stronger words). This must be so frustrating for you.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my experience is that wearing makeup over the area just further damages that area and increases the time it takes to heal and move on. if also increases the chances of creating a chemical allergy............

only now can I wear a bare amount of makeup w/o inviting a flare up......

sigh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1417450760|3793278 said:
missy, like you I really dislike using steroids.
however, they are not meant to be used just periodically.
once you start using it you really should complete the course.
I had to do this and it still took me years and many times repeating the course of steroids.
I had three steroid creams that I used in a specific order for a certain number of days/weeks as the dermatologist prescribed.
now? if I have a flare up I can use one for a week, sometimes less, to get rid of the flare up.
the hard part is that it took years to get to where I am now with my facial skin.
like you I didn't care about the other areas of the body.
I know how frustrating this is on so very many levels.
the important thing is to get stabilized and then branch out.
also, if you haven't tried it yet: Egyptian Magic.
it can be used over the steroid to create a sealing barrier and just used on its own as well.

Hi Movie Zombie, thank you for sharing and getting how I feel. I am sorry you had to deal with something similar and am very glad you have a handle on it now. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving btw.

I checked out your Egyptian Magic rec thanks and it looks great but I cannot use it as olive oil is food for seb derm and it would exacerbate it. As for the topical steroid application, my derm told me to only use the steroid for a day or 2 (his colleague said several days). Just the minimum I need to quiet the inflammation as it will worsen my rosacea and will also make the seb derm flare when I stop it if I use it longer than that.

It sucks and I am hoping it will quiet down without needing more steroid application but I am getting close to breaking down and applying because my face is so darn uncomfortable right now. Irritated, red and itchy and hurting.

Calliecake said:
Oh Missy, I'm so sorry. Is it bad in one spot or all over? Are you sure makeup won't cover it? Are you wearing makeup in your photos? I'd be freaking out too, it's your face for heavens sake. I wish I had some suggestions but I've got nothing. My niece was using the honey treatment you recommended but she said that didn't seem to be working as she noticed no change at all after about a week. The thing that amazes me is both of of you started experiencing all these problems when the weather changed. Could all of this be due to the cold dry weather or do you think it would of happened anyway? Do you think the doctor has diagnosed the problem correctly? Maybe getting a second opinion is needed now. I'm so sorry I have nothing helpful to add. Please know I'd feel the way you are feeling.

Please try to get yourself in the mindset that they have to find the correct combination of medicines to get this under control. It's not hopeless they just have to figure out what works for you.

It's fine for you to tell me to just be quiet (or you can use stronger words). This must be so frustrating for you.

Hey Callie, thanks so much and I know you understand how I am feeling as well. I am just so sorry your niece is dealing with this too. At least I am a grown woman and more able to handle something like this (well you know what I mean as I don't feel very able to handle it just right now...too much going on this year yanno?) but your niece is at a different stage in her life and appearance is just so sensitive an issue at that age. As for the honey I started it again today as I didn't give it enough time. It is advised to do it every other day for a month or so before you really see results so I am trying again. Tell your niece that it has to be raw (unheated) honey so the enzymes in the honey are intact.

I definitely think the weather changing had much to do with this for both me and your niece. Too bad there is no definitive treatment that provides relief. I am trying to get to that mindset that I will find something that helps but when my skin hurts me so much and when I look in the mirror it is hard not to feel overwhelmed and hopeless. I am strong mentally though so don't worry. If only tears would cure this though I would be all better LOLOL.

LLJsmom, you asked how I handle stress etc well I have to laugh. I have been working out 3 hours every day since I have been weight bearing and then walking outside if weather permits. Today after my 3 hour workout (90 min elliptical, 50 min treadmill, 40 min stretching and Pilates and not counting my PT session with Victor this morning) I walked about 3 miles in my neighborhood as it is relatively mild temp outside for Dec. So I guess I am a bit obsessed with working out but really it helps quiet my mind and also I am doing it for my rehab. No way will I maintain this kind of workout when I get better. Though I do enjoy my normal 90 min elliptical I could do without the treadmill walking for sure. Hate walking on the treadmill.

OK it isn't easy to capture how bad the seb derm is on my face but I took some pics and this is the best I could do. Sorry for the weird and unflattering angles but I was trying to show how red it is. For some reason I couldn't capture how bad it looks in these pictures. It looks much worse IRL. Believe me.

closerupsebderm.jpg

incognitowithsebderm.jpg

uglysebderm.jpeg

uglysebderm.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy and All:

okay, pics, Missy not to minimize this but the way I would describe it is if you had been blowing your nose a lot and the skin got red, dry and irritated around your nose. nothing to run off and become a carnie over :D

it's just something, the way our bodies change on us! my broken leg/knee was my first injury or physical problem and I could not believe how much it messed with my head! it still does but 2-1/2 years out I'm toughing up mentally. but your skin and your face, very 'public,' I understand the frustration every morning. I got a diagnosis of eczema 2 months ago, a spot on my foot and calf, and when the dermatologist told me I assumed she was wrong!!!! researched eczema, yeah, she was right dammit, and thank god for children's benadryl camphor because 5 seconds after reading eczema can be itchy I thought I'd scratch my foot right off!! I take 20 of Atarax if itch is really bad.

I just feel bad for you, Missy, that your pretty face is feeling so raw. I prescribe those rockin' boots of yours, that GORGEOUS hair you possess, as much bling as you can load on, and that arm-candy husband of yours! no one will see that seb derm!!!!!!

Ovi, Missy, Callie, junebug17, thank you for your good thoughts for Finn, my darling Westie. he woke up a week ago Friday with the sore paw, would not weightbear on that foot, and he fell apart musculoskeletally every day. the only thing that turned it around was the prednisone. he's 12, so he needs this. ran all blood tests, extremely healthy, vet said more like a young adult dog than a 12-year-old. we all thought Finn would live to 15-16 so the close call on thanksgiving shocked us. I don't know if Finn will recover most of his mobility or just some, or if it will be days or weeks or months, but we love him so much we will do anything short of extending pain or loss of will to live. my heart is breaking but I try to remind myself that no one is promised tomorrow. no one. I remind myself of how VL took such good care of murry his last months and I want to do that well for my sweet Finn.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
callie, re the anesthesia for your tiny dog, the danger is in the details-----must get the mathematics right for the weight of your dog, the amount of time to be sedated should be as short as possible. when we had Finn's knee operated on and Maggie's two hip replacements an actual canine anesthesiologist was used. well worth some extra bucks. Dr Liska/Gulf Coast Veterinary Clinic uses them routinely, the surgeries he does are complicated and lengthy. the guy who did Finn's knee was thrilled we would pay the extra $150 for the anesthesiologist so he could concentrate exclusively on the knee and not also on keeping Finn anesthetized and yet still alive.

We have had Finn's teeth cleaned twice, with two extractions of loose teeth last year. We hadn't planned to do it again, he was 10 last time we did it. Maggie has had not ever had her teeth cleaned (she is 7). We never fed her kibble so she never got plaque or tartar or any kind of dental process going on. We feed Stella & Chewy's raw freeze-dried food, highly nutritious, safe, and extremely palatable to dogs. WHen i decided to try raw food the dogs did not like the texture of raw meat, but they love the freeze dried raw food from Stella & Chewy's and the other dogfood companies who now make it. I serve it to them all crushed up in a puree of pumpkin (outstanding for good GI/good poops) and water, some Nusentia probiotics powder in each dish and voila. They also get Nordic Naturals fish oil and a Zyrtec, Westies are the poster dogs for allergies.

callie, may I ask what breed you have? I have had two Yorkies and both of them I took to a Yorkie speciality vet. (They both died spontaneously at home so this illness/possible euthaniasia with Finn is a new thing for me.)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kristie, I'm glad Finn is doing well and thank you for the back story on Finn and Maggie. I wouldn't even bat an eye about paying the extra money for her to have anesthesiologist. I just want her to be okay. She is a Maltipoo (Maltese poodle mix) and about 7 1/2 pounds. She developed severe food allergies when she was a few months old so as of now she can only have Prescription Diet low allegen food. She also gets this for treats and nothing else. So far she has been fine since we found this food. She needs a prescription for the food from her vet.

Missy, Thank you for mentioning you have to keep using the honey mask for a month before you'll see results. Do you also have bumps with the redness. It's really hard to tell from the pictures. I agree with Kristie's thoughts that the picture looks like you have a cold. Don't worry I know the picture isn't highlighting how bad it is. I also loved Kristie's suggestions for going out so no one would notice your face. My niece was very serious when she said she was wearing things to make her butt look good, so her face wouldn't be so noticeable. She also said she needed cuter clothes and she was spending extra time to make her hair look great. No matter the age, we woman think alike! Honey, I know how sad this is making you but you still look beautiful. Hopefully the doctor will come up with a solution for this outbreak so you can get some relief and get it under control. My niece also said her face is all she can think about right now.

I can't believe your work out today. I spent my day waiting for the plumber to come over. Our sump pump and back up battery sump pump both died yesterday. It made me mad at first but after about 10 seconds I realized things could be so much worse. This was just an inconvienece.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie and Callie, thank you.

Kristie, I am so happy that Finn is doing better and you know everyone here is thinking good thoughts for his full recovery. Biggest hugs to him and you!

Thanks for the advice and LOL on the carnie comment. I guess it could be a consideration should things get worse haha. Seriously the pics don't show the full extent.

I am sorry about your eczema but glad you have it under control. It's amazing how our bodies can betray us. I hear you on the mental toughness dealing with the physical injury but I swear this face thing has almost got that beat for me and I thought that was the toughest thing I was going to have to face this year. Well I will say this is a close second. One or the other but so much this year. Too much.

Callie, It is not just redness but lots of ugly bumps in the redness and a sort of dry crusty looking cover. I won't go into details because you guys have been so supportive of me and I don't want to put you through anything more grotesque.

I am sorry your sump pump and back up failed. That happened to us last summer and it was weird how they both failed at the same time. Hope your plumber got them both working again. No need to worry about venting about anything btw. This is a safe place and all problems matter. Big or small they are still our lives and matter. Please tell your niece I am thinking of her and will let her know if I figure anything out that I think can help her too. What moisturizer does she use Callie. Do you know? I ask because you have to use one that doesn't aggravate the seb derm or else it is one step forward and 2 backwards.

My dermatologist emailed me tonight in response to my email to him this morning. He wants me to apply the steroid for a few days to calm it down and then do a combination Locoid (steroid) with Elidel and d/c the Xologel for now. So I pray this will help because it is getting worse with each hour. And the itching and discomfort is getting to be more and more uncomfortable. So fingers crossed this will help provide relief and we will see what happens after that if this helps. I cannot be on the steroid (or elidel for that matter) forever but right now I will be happy if it calms it down till we can figure out what will work.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, You can go ahead with the gross details. I really think my niece has the exact same thing you have. I'm pretty sure I have heard all the really bad stuff. She has the redness, bumps and flaky skin as well. I think she has stopped the moisturizer because that also seemed to be making things worse. The cream the doctor gave her did not help at all and the itching and redness seemed to get worse when she used it so she stopped. I hope her friends doctor has a better idea of what to do. She can't wait for this appointment. I know she has always loved her skin so this has been particularly hard on her. Not to mention her dad tells her she looks great from 10 feet away....just don't get too close. I could slap my brother.

The plumber put a new sump pump in and is ordering a new battery operated back up system which he will install next week. I'm just happy everything broke now instead of in the middle of a big rain storm. As long as the basement is dry, all is good!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1417483526|3793603 said:
Missy, You can go ahead with the gross details. I really think my niece has the exact same thing you have. I'm pretty sure I have heard all the really bad stuff. She has the redness, bumps and flaky skin as well. I think she has stopped the moisturizer because that also seemed to be making things worse. The cream the doctor gave her did not help at all and the itching and redness seemed to get worse when she used it so she stopped. I hope her friends doctor has a better idea of what to do. She can't wait for this appointment. I know she has always loved her skin so this has been particularly hard on her. Not to mention her dad tells her she looks great from 10 feet away....just don't get too close. I could slap my brother.

Please slap him for me too. :cry: Your niece doesn't need that from her loved ones as I am sure she is having a difficult time of it as it is. Please give (((Hugs))) to your niece from me.

From my reading on seb derm it is important to moisturize somewhat though I guess if her skin doesn't need it and her not moisturizing agrees with her skin it might be fine. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't using one that would aggravate the seb derm. So many of them do and my favorite moisturizer (Eucerin) is one of the bad ones for seb derm. CeraVe is good but for me it stings now so I have been using the MCT oil as the expensive Rx moisturizing cream Epicerum just doesn't feel good on my skin.

I hope her friend's derm can help her Callie. Have you suggested to her to keep calling every day to see if there are any cancellations? Sometimes you can get in earlier that way. If the honey treatments are not exacerbating her condition I would suggest she continue with it every other day and see if it does help within a few weeks. I am going to keep doing them unless it starts making it even worse. The article showed a high success rate of the raw honey application but I wonder why it is not more mainstream if it is so successful.

OMG, the itching and irritation are driving me batty right now and I already applied the steroid cream so was hoping for some quick relief. On a good note this morning Victor was happy with my ankle ROM progress but is not thrilled with the tightness of my big toe tendon. LOL the fun never stops these days. ::)

YAY for dry basements! Water is the enemy in the home so very glad you got that back up and running and thank goodness it broke during a dry spell!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, Is the pain in your toe worse? Does Victor want you to do anything different with your toe or does this mean more massaging of your toe?

My niece called tonight. They moved up her derm appointment to this Wednesday. Hopefully this doctor will be able to help her. She said her face still looks hideous and she didn't do much thus weekend because she didn't want to put anything on it to give it a rest from everything. I can tell this is really getting her down. Maybe those SW boots are in her future after all. :angel:

I'm meeting one of my friends tomorrow. She called this afternoon to tell me she was laid off this morning.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you're sense of humor is wide, the carnie comment is because you're beautiful and elegant---a carnie would be a different universe in your case :lol:

in my years at Mayo I thought Derm was a tough specialty, I'm glad you have an excellent derm dude.

I thought of you and the HSS when I heard the list of everything Bono broke in *his* bike accident. you two bike survivors could get a drink or 10 together . I bet his PT won't be cut by a-holes at his insurance carrier.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1417488888|3793650 said:
I'm glad you're sense of humor is wide, the carnie comment is because you're beautiful and elegant---a carnie would be a different universe in your case :lol:

in my years at Mayo I thought Derm was a tough specialty, I'm glad you have an excellent derm dude.

I thought of you and the HSS when I heard the list of everything Bono broke in *his* bike accident. you two bike survivors could get a drink or 10 together . I bet his PT won't be cut by a-holes at his insurance carrier.

Thank you making me laugh out loud Kristie! Your last sentence is PRICELESS!!!! Missy, I can hear you laughing in Illinois.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kristie and haha you are so right re Bono's PT and insurance. I bet even with all his money his insurance company wouldn't dare cut him off PT coverage. He has a lot of metal in his arm but I still have him beat. :|

Central Park can be dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians alike. Too crowded. Bono swerved to avoid another cyclist and just a month or so ago a tourist from Connecticut was run over and killed by a cyclist. Terrible accident. From my understanding of the story the cyclist saw her crossing and yelled at her to get out of the way but never slowed down or wavered from his course and ran her over. That story is still with me it is so horrible.

Callie, I am so glad your niece is seeing the derm this Wednesday. I hope he can provide some help for her. I woke this morning and prayed that my face would look better since I applied steroid last night but it looks even worse. Bright red and bumpy and despite what Kristie says perhaps Carnie ready. :oops:

Please let me know how your niece's appointment goes. And I think she needs those SW boots. Not knowing your niece I will add that my favorite SW boots are my blue suede 5050's. I wear them as often as I can make them work with the outfit and believe me I am wearing a lot of blue these days for just that reason haha.

Callie, I am sorry about your friend's job. I know how stressful that is and I know she is lucky to have you as her friend and that you are there for her. I hope your visit cheers her up today and that she is doing OK. It's awful to be laid off at any time but especially right before the holidays really sucks. :blackeye:

You guys will be proud of me because though my face is killing me I am NOT canceling my mammo and ultrasound this morning. As much as every fibre of my being wants to cancel I am keeping both appointments. I have 2 close friends who were diagnosed with breast cancer in the last couple of years (one in her 30's and one in her 50's) and they both had surgery and one had chemo and radiation and one is just doing radiation now and well I am not ignoring the universe and its signs.

My face is hurting and itching and feeling all sorts of icky not to mention appearance but I am just going to the darn appointments. I already had to postpone them as I was scheduled this past August and my surgeon told me to postpone until I was weight bearing and more steady on my feet. We didn't anticipate this and I don't think it is a get out of mammo card lol. So onward and forward.

Now this upcoming Saturday Dec 6th my dh and I are scheduled to take my MIL out for her 80th birthday and I really hope I am better by then. It is a long trip out to her and we are taking her to a popular restaurant and I so hope I am better by then. If not and the steroids aren't working I am SOL in so many ways but I am not going to dwell on that and just hope and pray the steroids do the trick and that my derm can help me somehow after they do so I have other options.

OK guys wish me luck. I need a clean bill of health please. I have enough on my plate and just want everything to go smoothly today. Have a good morning!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, it's so funny Kristie made the Bono comments. When I heard about his accident I immediately thought of you. They had mentioned all the plates I had in his arm during the news cast. You have him beat in the metal department? Impressive LOL! I wish you'd find a better way to show him up! Good luck with the mammo today.

I'm sooooo sorry about your face. You are no where near Carnie ready. Will it take a few days for the steroids to work or does it usually work pretty quickly. When do you go back to the doctor? I felt so bad when you said you wake uo and immediately start worrying about how it will look. I'd feel the same way Missy and I know that's how my niece feels. I hurts me to hear her say she looks hideous. I will let you know what the doctor says tomorrow night about my niece's face. I hope you have some improvement so your not feeling self conscious when you take your MIL out. I'm sure she is looking forward to it.

I have to figure out a way to buy my niece the boots without upsetting her mom. My sister-in-law made the comment that she felt her girls were worrying to much about buying high end items so I know she may not be happy with me if I buy her the boots. I will talk to my sister in law first but I'm al little worried about it. I may have to come up with something else to cheer her up. If I do go ahead with the boots I would probably get her the brown or black as she would get the most use out of them. I love the blue though. They look so great on you. I don't see her wearing blue often.

My dad is having his surgery today and I was so angry last night. I called to tell him i would call him on his cell phone this afternoon and he told me his wife took his phone and gave it to her grandson. I feel terrible for saying this but I swear she is doing it so he can't call me often. So much happened a few weeks ago that I didn't share here regarding her and the money we sent. I was in tears for two days after that whole fiasco. I keep telling myself not to let her get to me and just focus on him as he was pretty depressed about the operation. My husband is having surgery tomorrow so I also have to focus on that. I'm so looking toward to meeting my friend today!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results