color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1405002181|3710451 said:
missy|1404989687|3710334 said:
Are saltine crackers OK? I have been having them before my meds just so I don't take the meds on an empty stomach. Any foods you recommend for nausea? Thank you for looking out for me (((hugs))).

I did Internet research on foods that prevent nausea last night (and also came up with other ideas on how to prevent it besides food), and everyone loves saltines! (As if they needed further endorsement after the years and years of endorsement they have received from pregnant women with morning sickness!) I used to prefer Ritz crackers to saltines, but have been assured that when one is nauseated, that they are too oily and that saltines are better! So go for it, missy! Coat your stomach, and do yourself some good mentally, too. Everyone endorses real ginger as well. In ginger ale or in tea. Cold water and fresh air help (my suggestion of splashing cold water on your face is a variation on the cold water theme). Also cutting a lemon in half and sniffing it is said to help.

Good luck to you, sweetheart!

Deb :wavey:

Thank you so much Deb. Definitely going to try out all those remedies you kindly found for me as I am still very nauseous.

I'm home! Yay!!! I am not going to lie and say I was/am not apprehensive about leaving the hospital because I am. I knew that no matter the emergency there were capable people to help me there. But I am glad to be home.

azstonie said:
Second ginger including the pieces you chew on (candied ginger is fine), try Whole Foods or Trader Joes, etc. Its the only thing that works for me when I have nausea.

movie zombie said:
reeds' candied ginger seems to be the most potent and quickest working for me........be prepared for that "bite"! love it!

Thanks azstonie and movie zombie. I will try anything because this nausea is bad. Right up there with the pain in affecting me in every way. The pain is not bad now (about a 5 or 6) but the nausea is unwavering and awful right now.

movie zombie said:
missy|1404989687|3710334 said:
......I will say the coffee here is delicious. :lickout:

you crack me up, missy! even with the pain and everything you've got an essential that keeps on ticking: your sense of humor!

I am totally serious MZ. ;)) I don't joke when it comes to a life essential like caffeine and coffee haha.
The coffee was delicious and the nurses so nice because we usually didn't get coffee till breakfast which was around 8AM or so but my roomie and I were usually up at 5AM (and 3AM and 1AM for vitals every 2 hours) for the day and always brought me coffee. My roommate doesn't drink coffee because she thinks it's bad with the pain meds but I love my coffee and it was all good as far as I am concerned. Didn't affect me negatively to have it. Anyway the nurses always insisted on bringing me my coffee at 5AM as soon as they realized we were awake which was so lovely. And the last 2 days they brought me saltines to help with my queasiness. Not sure it helped but it didn't hurt.

Tourmaline said:
I took Zofran through two of my 4 pregnancies (the 3rd and 4th). I still threw up once or twice a day, but before Zofran it was every fifteen minutes. Good luck! I hope it works well for you.

Oh no poor Tourmaline! Being nauseous and throwing up is one of the worst feelings ever IMO. I am glad that is over for you and I know it was worth the end results!

I am not sure the Zofran is helping but I know it is not hurting. They did offer e Reglan and Scopolamine patches and maybe I was stupid for turning it down but I just didn't want to keep taking more meds to counteract the side effects of the pain meds. We are not sure I am nauseous like this from the pain meds though but will find out in time because I am trying to reduce the pain meds again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1405005413|3710482 said:
Hi Missy, I'm sorry I didn't post a message to you yesterday. Please know I have been thinking of you often throughout the day. I did read your posts and am happy you were able to stay another night. The only thing I know for sure is if your pain cannot be managed, you need to stay in the hospital longer. Hopefully you are still in the hospital and are feeling better today. I'm so glad to hear your stay went well and you met many nice people. It really makes a difference in how you feel if you are happy in your surroundings and your roommate sounds wonderful. I'll keep checking for your posts today to see how you doing. Thank you for continuing to update everyone on your progress. You are very loved Missy!

Dear Callie, there is no need or reason to apologize!!! You are so thoughtful and kind and generous! Thank you for thinking of me and I know that your thoughts and everyone else who wishes me well is helping me get through this. Big (((hugs))) and much love being sent your way.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on being home! Hope the nausea and pain continue to subside!

Can you believe the surgery is over and you're home? So happy for you! Those bones are knitting back together as we type!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1405015728|3710655 said:
Congrats on being home! Hope the nausea and pain continue to subside!

Can you believe the surgery is over and you're home? So happy for you! Those bones are knitting back together as we type!

Thank you MissGotRocks! Yes I keep thinking those bones are now starting to mend bit by bit and it's all healing from here on in so no matter what else I am dealing with I can make it through knowing I am getting better and improving each day no matter how small the improvement- it is still happening. Whether I realize it or not as I know the pain and nausea might come in waves and vary from day to day and hour to hour. It's all going in the right direction re healing at least. Thank you so much.

Return trip home continued:
OK so of course the ride home from the hospital was not uneventful because little in my life these days is lol. Picture me sitting in the back of the cab with my leg up on the seat and my dh sitting in the front of the cab which is our usual MO these days in cabs. I am fighting nausea the whole way with a throw up bucket next to me and some blood leaking from my arm where I had the IV inserted since Monday AM. As many of you might know NYC cab rides are hardly smooth and calming. Plus add some hot temperatures (despite a/c in cab) and we have potential for disaster.

Anyway, I am just focusing on maintaining my calm and resisting the urge to throw up and just getting home. My mobile rings and it is my (ex) roommate whom I just left a little while ago. She has a 2:30 PM plane to catch to get back home to California so she left the hospital at noon (late because we were both waiting for our med delivery from a pharmacy across the street before we could leave the hospital). She left at noon and my dh and I left at 1PM.

So it is about 1:15 and my mobile rings and it is Suse. And I had just been talking about her to Greg about some funny things that happened to us last night and this morning. I excitedly pick up and she is sobbing and I can barely understand her. English is not her first language but she speaks better than most people born here it's just she was upset and so I had difficulty. And I am fighting wave after wave of nausea in a warm bumpy cab ride and I think you get the picture. Anyway I finally understood what she was saying. Some highly bright :evil: airline employee at LaGuardia noticed there was blood dripping down her leg and even though she had a letter from her doctor and hospital clearing her for the flight they were holding her back and not letting her fly home!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

So I calmed her down as best I could and told her to not move and I called the hospital and got in touch with the head nurse on our floor and recounted what happened and pleaded with her to call the airline. Long story short (well at least less long) the nurse promised she would take care of it.

I tried calling my roommate back on her mobile a few times since I got home but it goes to voice mail so I am hoping she is on the plane and everything is good to go. Fingers crossed. If not she knows she can stay with us till she can get a flight back home but I know that would not be her ideal. Let's hope the airline responded to reason. I mean she has a note from her doctor and the hospital stating it is safe for her to fly. Stupid bureaucracy. :wall:

I am home in air conditioning now with my kitties around me. They weren't aloof like I thought they would be given I was away for 3 nights almost 4 days and brought a new toy home from the hospital (a walker-my new best friend) that smells I am sure of the hospital. As do I but it seems they have already forgiven me and are ready to move on so yay to that.

Thanks to everyone who stood by me during this scary surgery and hospital experience. It was much less scary with PSers standing by me and supporting me the whole way. I know I have a huge amount of this journey left to travel but I think (and hope) that the beginning was the toughest part as getting started often is and I am still taking it one day at a time. Thanks and Hugs to all. :wavey:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you're home, Missy! I hope your roommate gets home safely.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1405017534|3710679 said:
I'm glad you're home, Missy! I hope your roommate gets home safely.

Thanks Zoe!

I am adding a cropped (cutting off the heads to respect privacy) pic of us. Please keep in mind we were not allowed to bathe or wash our hair for all the time we were there. I thought she looked amazing still but no matter we both have looked better haha.

suseandmeathsslastday.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Missy, I'm glad you're home with your kitties & DH & walker and that the pain is lessening. Nausea is awful awful awful, but will eventually subside. Getting a handle on the pain alone is a big step forward. It's a happy thing to imagine you in your own house! The most dramatic worst part is o.v.e.r. & now, picture your bones knitting up perfectly -- the mind can influence the body, definitely.

The ride home sounds like crazy city -- you're right, nothing smoother and more peaceful than a NYC cab ride! Plus your poor roomie -- I hope she made it back quickly. How upsetting for her. I am in awe of your nurses! Not only (good, yet) coffee at 5, but bothering to make calls to help Suse out -- can you imagine how few would do that? Treasures beyond measure.

I'll bet your kits were overjoyed to have you back. Cats are far more dependent on their people than they're given credit for, as you know. We're all cheering for you as every day brings a step toward health again. You'll be breaking the speed limit with your scooter before you know it! :wavey:

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1405018257|3710690 said:
Missy, I'm glad you're home with your kitties & DH & walker and that the pain is lessening. Nausea is awful awful awful, but will eventually subside. Getting a handle on the pain alone is a big step forward. It's a happy thing to imagine you in your own house! The most dramatic worst part is o.v.e.r. & now, picture your bones knitting up perfectly -- the mind can influence the body, definitely.

The ride home sounds like crazy city -- you're right, nothing smoother and more peaceful than a NYC cab ride! Plus your poor roomie -- I hope she made it back quickly. How upsetting for her. I am in awe of your nurses! Not only (good, yet) coffee at 5, but bothering to make calls to help Suse out -- can you imagine how few would do that? Treasures beyond measure.

I'll bet your kits were overjoyed to have you back. Cats are far more dependent on their people than they're given credit for, as you know. We're all cheering for you as every day brings a step toward health again. You'll be breaking the speed limit with your scooter before you know it! :wavey:

--- Laurie

Haha yes I will be breaking those speed limits as I have the need for speed. :appl:
But not any time soon I can promise you that. Those scooters seem like they can be fun but on the broken NYC sidewalks with other crazy folk in the way well I am thinking that I don't want to be back to HSS that soon if you kwim. Plus my orthopedic surgeon told me no scooter until he says so. Bossy doctors yanno? Let them operate on you and they think they own you haha.

Thank you so much for all your positive energy and good thoughts Laurie. Many many hugs to you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad you are home, missy! I hope your husband waits on you and gets you candied ginger; ginger tea; lemons to cut open; saltines; and everything that will make you well. Some people recommend the BRAT diet:

"What is the BRAT diet?

If you have recently had an upset stomach or diarrhea, your doctor may suggest that you limit your diet to bland foods that won’t irritate your stomach. The BRAT diet is a bland-food diet that is often recommended for adults and children. BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. The BRAT diet can help you recover from an upset stomach or diarrhea for the following reasons:

It includes 'binding' foods. These are low-fiber foods that can help make your stools firmer.
It includes bananas, which are high in potassium and help replace nutrients your body has lost because of vomiting or diarrhea.

You can add other bland foods to the BRAT diet. For example, you can try saltine crackers, boiled potatoes or clear soups. Don’t start eating dairy products and sugary or fatty foods right away. These foods may trigger nausea or lead to more diarrhea."

Deb
:wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1405023104|3710773 said:
I am so glad you are home, missy! I hope your husband waits on you and gets you candied ginger; ginger tea; lemons to cut open; saltines; and everything that will make you well. Some people recommend the BRAT diet:

"What is the BRAT diet?

If you have recently had an upset stomach or diarrhea, your doctor may suggest that you limit your diet to bland foods that won’t irritate your stomach. The BRAT diet is a bland-food diet that is often recommended for adults and children. BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. The BRAT diet can help you recover from an upset stomach or diarrhea for the following reasons:

It includes 'binding' foods. These are low-fiber foods that can help make your stools firmer.
It includes bananas, which are high in potassium and help replace nutrients your body has lost because of vomiting or diarrhea.

You can add other bland foods to the BRAT diet. For example, you can try saltine crackers, boiled potatoes or clear soups. Don’t start eating dairy products and sugary or fatty foods right away. These foods may trigger nausea or lead to more diarrhea."

Deb
:wavey:

Thank you Deb! I like all the food on the BRAT diet but I can assure you that I do not need to be any more binded up than I am lol. But I am definitely going to ask my dh to get us toast and saltine crackers and applesauce (love applesauce) as we have none in the house. Bananas are something I eat everyday so that's good and we have lots of rice so easy to make that. I cannot eat dairy or sugary foods in general so it is looking like I already do a BRAT variation.

I am sucking on some ginger candies right now and it is helping though I am about to take a pain med because the pain is getting stronger and I don't want to let it get out of control. I have lemon at the ready as well as ginger tea. Thank you for all your recommendations. You are always so very helpful Deb! :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I hope I never have bad nausea, Deb. I absolutely HATE ginger. It should be outlawed, it's so awful! :nono: Saltines are good, though I don't think I've eaten any since we got them with orangeade in kindergarten. Good thing Missy likes ginger.

Missy, you & roommate are so cute -- despite icky hospital life. Love this:
missy said:
Bossy doctors yanno? Let them operate on you and they think they own you haha.
Right.

You'll be on that scooter soon enough. Weaving at warp speed past old ladies, crazies & dog walkers down Madison Ave. When my mother was in a wheelchair, DH pasted a NASCAR sticker on it; she loved it.

Are your kitties hanging out with you, Missy? Hope they're giving you some happy purrs. Here's a photo to keep you cheery -- one of the 2 fawns born in our backyard. I took this from the patio door about a week ago. He has left since then with his mama; the other one & his mama exited a few days earlier. We leave the gates open once they're big enough to keep up with the herd.

Have a nice peaceful non-barfing evening!

--- Laurie

fawn_7-14_2.jpg

fawn_7-14_3.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1405027715|3710828 said:
Oh, I hope I never have bad nausea, Deb. I absolutely HATE ginger. It should be outlawed, it's so awful! :nono: Saltines are good, though I don't think I've eaten any since we got them with orangeade in kindergarten. Good thing Missy likes ginger.

Missy, you & roommate are so cute -- despite icky hospital life. Love this:
missy said:
Bossy doctors yanno? Let them operate on you and they think they own you haha.
Right.

You'll be on that scooter soon enough. Weaving at warp speed past old ladies, crazies & dog walkers down Madison Ave. When my mother was in a wheelchair, DH pasted a NASCAR sticker on it; she loved it.

Are your kitties hanging out with you, Missy? Hope they're giving you some happy purrs. Here's a photo to keep you cheery -- one of the 2 fawns born in our backyard. I took this from the patio door about a week ago. He has left since then with his mama; the other one & his mama exited a few days earlier. We leave the gates open once they're big enough to keep up with the herd.

Have a nice peaceful non-barfing evening!

--- Laurie

Hi Laurie, thank you for those wonderful pics! That baby is so sweet and precious and innocent. So beautiful. Perked me right up. :appl:

I think you need to reconsider ginger. If you don't care for the candy at least try a lovely ginger tea if you are ever nauseous. You might like it. Republic of Tea makes a nice Ginger Peach black tea.

Love the Nascar sticker on your mom's wheelchair lol. Fantastic. :cheeky:

I am very happy right now because Suse called me from Chicago on her stop-over to California. She made it onto the flight at La Guardia finally but OMG what a horrible ordeal the poor dear went through. I am upset for her because it was such an abuse of power and I have no clue why the airline employee harassed her like she did trying to cause her to miss the flight. :blackeye: And unfortunately because of her impaired condition due to the surgery she couldn't easily get the info she needed (i.e. names) to write a letter of complaint to AA but I am going to figure it out for her because we cannot let people behave maliciously without consequences. At least we have to try.

The main thing is she is on her way home thank goodness. :appl: :appl: :appl:

And yes the kitties are hanging around me though Francesca is a bit more aloof than usual. The male kitties are just as loving as before and I am sure Francesca will warm right up to me tonight when we go to bed. You know we females like to make it a bit challenging. I mean where's the fun in just giving it away. :angel:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's good to see the picture of you to get a visual of what you're dealing with now. I'm sure that all of the cast and gauze are very heavy and difficult to maneuver but it makes me feel good to see you standing and able in every other way! I hope your friend got home safely too - I feel for her having to get on an airplane to get home!

Slow and steady wins the race - there will be bumps in the road but you're on your way. Just hoping the pain and nausea subside quickly for you!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, Your cab ride sounds awful! Being nauseous is almost as bad as being in awful pain. If New York cab drivers are on par with Chicago cab drivers, I can only imagine what you went thru. Thankfully you are safe and sound in your home surrounded by Greg and your babies. Don't worry, Francesca will ćome around in a few hours. She's just being a drama queen at the moment! She knows you love her.

How upsetting Suse had to go thru such an ordeal at O'Hare. The AA terminal is always extremely crowded with many people rushing to make their connecting flights. I can't believe the airline was rude and unsympathetic to her situation. You would think they would have bent over backwards to help her. I'm sure she will have some interesting stories to tell you.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh missy, that ride home was quite the adventure - the kind of adventure you could do without ! You must have been so happy to finally make it home. How wonderful that the surgery and hospital stay are behind you, I'm so glad about that! :appl: Let the healing begin!

So sorry to hear about the nausea , that's the worst and can really wear you down - I hope it lets up for you very soon. Glad to hear the ginger is helping a little.

Had to laugh at your coffee comment - you're a girl after my own heart, I love my coffee too! Makes life worth living some days lol

You continue to be in my thoughts every day, I'm hoping and praying each day brings you less pain and nausea; get lots of rest and try to relax as much as possible. We're all rooting for you!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1405037525|3710940 said:
It's good to see the picture of you to get a visual of what you're dealing with now. I'm sure that all of the cast and gauze are very heavy and difficult to maneuver but it makes me feel good to see you standing and able in every other way! I hope your friend got home safely too - I feel for her having to get on an airplane to get home!

Slow and steady wins the race - there will be bumps in the road but you're on your way. Just hoping the pain and nausea subside quickly for you!

Thank you MissGotRocks. I appreciate you hanging in there with me. Slow and steady indeed. I slept like a log last night. My leg looks like a log so might as well as sleep like one haha. Fell asleep before 10PM first time since the accident and woke up briefly at 2AM because of pain but took a pain pill and went back to sleep till 6AM. So first almost uninterrupted night of sleep woohoo! And my friend got home safely and is recuperating in her own bed now so yay on both fronts!!!

The gauze/cast is heavy and sort of warm and right now my leg is itching around the top area of the "cast". I just applied some homeopathic itching cream around it-do you think that's safe as I am supposed to keep under the gauze/cast dry.

I am not sure what to do and I am sure itching is normal but it's not the healing itching more like an irritated itching. I am prone to eczema but I cannot see the rash since it is under the top part of the covering. Not letting my mind race ahead to the possibility of a shingles rash outbreak which I know can happen after surgery in susceptible individuals. OK so I guess my mind racing ahead haha. Sssh mind. be quiet please. :shhh:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1405039811|3710968 said:
Missy, Your cab ride sounds awful! Being nauseous is almost as bad as being in awful pain. If New York cab drivers are on par with Chicago cab drivers, I can only imagine what you went thru. Thankfully you are safe and sound in your home surrounded by Greg and your babies. Don't worry, Francesca will ćome around in a few hours. She's just being a drama queen at the moment! She knows you love her.

How upsetting Suse had to go thru such an ordeal at O'Hare. The AA terminal is always extremely crowded with many people rushing to make their connecting flights. I can't believe the airline was rude and unsympathetic to her situation. You would think they would have bent over backwards to help her. I'm sure she will have some interesting stories to tell you.

Hi there Callie. The cab driver was very nice and the traffic was at a minimal so I cannot complain. Under the best of circumstances I get a bit queasy in a jerky car so I was prepared for a rough ride. I had the pink hospital vomit bucket next to me on the seat ready to be used if necessary but fortunately I held it together. All of this is making me stronger emotionally and I am lucky I am getting such good care all around. Despite the challenges I do have a lot going for me in my situation with my doctors/hospital/friends and family and all the support I am getting. I appreciate it all and you guys are a big part of that. Thank you so much.

I already spoke with Suse and it was quite the story and as I posted before a very unbelievable situation that the airline employees would be so rude to her especially in her condition. She is a lovely person and thank goodness she can stand up for herself because I know not everyone could have handled themselves as well under such difficult circumstances especially given all the pain she was in at that time. She is good now and resting at home.

You are right about Francesca. She came around and slept on between my casted leg and my good leg on top of my red blanket that I took with me to the hospital. The hospital smell did not bother any of the kitties and I found that interesting. I had read that animals might smell the hospital on you or your things and hiss at you when you came home but my kitties seemed fine. Anyway it was very comforting when I woke up in the middle of the night and she was snuggled there on the blanket on top of my legs. At first I was disoriented as to where I was but then it all came back and it was lovely francesca was on me. Very snuggly.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1405040045|3710970 said:
Oh my gosh missy, that ride home was quite the adventure - the kind of adventure you could do without ! You must have been so happy to finally make it home. How wonderful that the surgery and hospital stay are behind you, I'm so glad about that! :appl: Let the healing begin!

So sorry to hear about the nausea , that's the worst and can really wear you down - I hope it lets up for you very soon. Glad to hear the ginger is helping a little.

Had to laugh at your coffee comment - you're a girl after my own heart, I love my coffee too! Makes life worth living some days lol

You continue to be in my thoughts every day, I'm hoping and praying each day brings you less pain and nausea; get lots of rest and try to relax as much as possible. We're all rooting for you!!!

Aww thank you Junebug. So appreciate your enduring support. I am OK nausea wise right now and took a pain pill (smallest amount) about an hour ago. Still waiting for it to kick in fully before I decide if I need another. I would rather not take another so if I can deal with the pain I will not take more pain meds right now. And the other side effects are not so pleasant though if necessary I will not hesitate to take it. I don't want to let the pain get away from me because then it is more difficult to reign in if you kwim.

Oh yes coffee is one of the simple pleasures of life. I love love love my morning coffee. I even brought my own coffee to the hospital lol but it wasn't necessary and I didn't end up needing it. I did use my water kettle to heat water for my afternoon and evening tea haha but again it is the simple pleasures in life that make a big difference sometimes.

Thanks for sticking with me and I am now on the hopefully smooth and successful path to recovery. Let's hope all the adventure is behind me for now as I can use a quiet journey for the next few months. That would be lovely. (((Hugs))).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While anything is possible, I would doubt that you have shingles. I think anyone that is casted has that itching. The skin dries out and gets sort of wrinkly. When my son was 7, he broke his wrist and was casted for a few weeks beyond the elbow. When the cast was removed, he had long black hair on his arm! It went away quickly though and I've heard of people wanting to poke an open coat hanger down in the cast to itch! If it gets too bad, they might give you Benadryl or something for the itching.

So glad that you slept pretty well last night. There really is no place like home and your trip home probably wore you out! So glad that your roomie made it home safely! I'm sure she had quite the journey too!

Hope the pain and nausea continue to subside and that you are able to eat at least one good meal today. That would be wonderful progress!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Missy, I am not surprised that you made friends with your roommate, and I still think it's amazing and wonderful that you were so proactive to advocate for her and get her on her flight! What a great person you are!

So, are you wearing your diamond ring? :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home sweet home!... :appl: hang in there missy.. :wavey:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Missy, I'm so glad to hear that your surgery went well, and that you are now home with your precious kitties, able to sleep soundly in your own bed, and that your pain is more for less under control--such good news all around!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Healing vibes your way! Home is the best medicine.

cheers--Sharon

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good sleep AND coffee this morning, Francesca still loves ya, all is well :dance:

Re itch, I've not heard of a casted patient who did not have that itch.

If you ever feel like there is something seriously wrong with your skin under the cast, they can take the cast off and recast you, they do that all the time where I work. Its an option if you need this.

How long will you be wearing the cast?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH says the itching was AWFUL. No solution but to try to not think about it.

Glad you made it home!
The people at the hospital sound wonderful, but there is nothing like being in your own home with your kitties and your DH and all of your favorite things.

I'm reading another "Cat Who..." mystery book. It isn't great literature, but I like the cats and the main character has a thing for coffee so I just can't put them down :lol:

(Yeah... I may take my coffee a little too seriously. I buy raw beans and roast/blend them myself. Burr grind fresh every morning. Espresso machine.... All that :lickout: )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1405082115|3711319 said:
While anything is possible, I would doubt that you have shingles. I think anyone that is casted has that itching. The skin dries out and gets sort of wrinkly. When my son was 7, he broke his wrist and was casted for a few weeks beyond the elbow. When the cast was removed, he had long black hair on his arm! It went away quickly though and I've heard of people wanting to poke an open coat hanger down in the cast to itch! If it gets too bad, they might give you Benadryl or something for the itching.

So glad that you slept pretty well last night. There really is no place like home and your trip home probably wore you out! So glad that your roomie made it home safely! I'm sure she had quite the journey too!

Hope the pain and nausea continue to subside and that you are able to eat at least one good meal today. That would be wonderful progress!!

Thanks MissGotRocks.
I am glad to be home and pleased that I had a good night's sleep. Benadryl is a great suggestion, thank you.

Tourmaline said:
Missy, I am not surprised that you made friends with your roommate, and I still think it's amazing and wonderful that you were so proactive to advocate for her and get her on her flight! What a great person you are!

So, are you wearing your diamond ring? :)

Thank you Tourmaline. That is too kind. Anyone would have done the same for someone who was in that desperate situation. I am relieved it worked out for her because that was just nonsense and so wrong on the part of American Airlines. No excuse. I get upset all over again just thinking about what they did. :blackeye:

I'm not wearing my ring :oops: Truthfully this cast/wrap I have on my leg is so uncomfortable and tight and claustrophobic in a way that I am wearing as little as possible. So no jewelry and just wearing a sundress being barefoot and hanging out on my couch. I had a refreshing (though exhausting-everything is much more difficult right now) shower this morning and washed my hair finally after so many days of no shower and feel much better but really want as little on me as possible if that makes sense. It wasn't even weird being in the hospital and not wearing my rings like I thought it would be.

I trust you are wearing and enjoying your beauty though enough for the both of us! That's how I am getting my bling enjoyment these days. Vicariously through my fellow PSers. :appl:

Dancing Fire said:
Home sweet home!... :appl: hang in there missy.. :wavey:

Thanks Dancing Fire. Doing my best to hang in there. Thank you for your encouragement!

Aoife said:
Missy, I'm so glad to hear that your surgery went well, and that you are now home with your precious kitties, able to sleep soundly in your own bed, and that your pain is more for less under control--such good news all around!

Thank you Aoife! My sweet kitties and I are all happy to be reunited. Perhaps I am more aware of this than they are but still I like to think they are pleased I am home. :bigsmile:

canuk-gal said:
HI:

Healing vibes your way! Home is the best medicine.

cheers--Sharon

Thank you Sharon. I completely agree.

azstonie said:
Good sleep AND coffee this morning, Francesca still loves ya, all is well :dance:

Re itch, I've not heard of a casted patient who did not have that itch.

If you ever feel like there is something seriously wrong with your skin under the cast, they can take the cast off and recast you, they do that all the time where I work. Its an option if you need this.

How long will you be wearing the cast?

Thanks for that suggestion azstonie. The itching isn't too bd right now so I am sure it is nothing right now to be concerned about. I am not sure how long I am wearing it but I am seeing the surgeon in 2 weeks for a follow up and I vaguely remember him saying he was going to recast me at that time. Not sure into what but I hope it is less constricting than this one though probably not. I guess it feels so tight because of the swelling. I just took another pain pill because the vice feeling of the cast on my lower leg is intense right now and I think it has to be due to the swelling. I am keeping my leg high as instructed. On a wedge pillow and regular pillow on the ottoman. And I am trying to get up as little as possible but still trying to shift due to the pressure sore still being there and uncomfortable.

TooPatient said:
DH says the itching was AWFUL. No solution but to try to not think about it.

Glad you made it home!
The people at the hospital sound wonderful, but there is nothing like being in your own home with your kitties and your DH and all of your favorite things.

I'm reading another "Cat Who..." mystery book. It isn't great literature, but I like the cats and the main character has a thing for coffee so I just can't put them down :lol:

(Yeah... I may take my coffee a little too seriously. I buy raw beans and roast/blend them myself. Burr grind fresh every morning. Espresso machine.... All that :lickout: )

Thanks TooPatient. I am glad to be home and drinking my own coffee (though their coffee was very good) and in my surroundings. Just wish I could fast forward to 3-6 months and be almost all healed and freely moving. Sigh. Patience is not my strong point though this year tried teaching me how to be patient I fear I am not as good a student as I should be when it comes to patience. I certainly don't share your PS name but I wish I did. 8)

Glad your dh is over all that and doing well. :))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! I'm happy to hear you slept pretty well last night with your baby right by you. My little baby cuddles next to me all night too. They are so sweet aren't they? You must be so happy to be home. I had to laugh about the nurses bring you coffee so early. About 20 years ago I had to stay in the hospital for week. I was amazed with how some of the patients treated the nursing staff. I understood they were in pain but I could not imagine being mean to the nurse because of it. They also did lots of little special things for me. They had a stash of lime sherbet in their freezer so it would there when I wanted some. Which I believe was the only thing I wanted. I'm so glad you were treated with kindness too.

I felt so bad for Suse yesterday. How awful it must be to fly the day you get out of the hospital. My husband is a platinum elite member with AA and they have always gone out of their way to help us if there were any problems. I'm glad she made it home safely.

How does it feel to finally be on the road to recovery? It has to be such a relief to have the surgery and hospital stay behind you. Will Greg or someone else be able to stay with you next week? Has Francesca learned how or make your afternoon tea yet? :angel:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1405112077|3711545 said:
Hi Missy! I'm happy to hear you slept pretty well last night with your baby right by you. My little baby cuddles next to me all night too. They are so sweet aren't they? You must be so happy to be home. I had to laugh about the nurses bring you coffee so early. About 20 years ago I had to stay in the hospital for week. I was amazed with how some of the patients treated the nursing staff. I understood they were in pain but I could not imagine being mean to the nurse because of it. They also did lots of little special things for me. They had a stash of lime sherbet in their freezer so it would there when I wanted some. Which I believe was the only thing I wanted. I'm so glad you were treated with kindness too.

I felt so bad for Suse yesterday. How awful it must be to fly the day you get out of the hospital. My husband is a platinum elite member with AA and they have always gone out of their way to help us if there were any problems. I'm glad she made it home safely.

How does it feel to finally be on the road to recovery? It has to be such a relief to have the surgery and hospital stay behind you. Will Greg or someone else be able to stay with you next week? Has Francesca learned how or make your afternoon tea yet? :angel:

Haha, Princess Francesca making my afternoon tea? Oh my she is not one for manual labor hahaha. Her only "job" is to nap, eat, perhaps play a bit and then nap some more in order to get ready for the evening sleep. LOL. I need to get a dog! :cheeky:

I am so glad the nurses were kind to you also. Makes a big difference to be sure. Suse and I had a blast and I think it was because we are both very intuitive and good at reading people and just clicked immediately. And I also don't get people who are not nice to others -especially people who are helping them. Doesn't make any sense to me either. :???:

It wasn't ideal that she had to fly yesterday but that's how she planned it so she didn't have to pay for a hotel for another night and also then she would be alone. I did offer to have her to come back with me and we would have my dh take care of us till she felt stronger (haha I love volunteering his services but he would be OK helping her because he is very generous that way) but she had to get home. Her dh was not happy she came here for the surgery to begin with and well it would have made things worse if she stayed.

I have no clue why the AA employee behaved the way she did and why she was backed up by others there but one shouldn't have to be an elite member to get decent treatment and kindness. I know you feel the same way Callie just venting my frustration at the way she was treated. I somehow feel it had to be discrimination of some sort. Either racist or discrimination against her being handicapped (as she was in a wheelchair at the airport) but I cannot say that for sure and it is just a thought. Who knows the reason but I do know there was no rational basis for the treatment she received.

I am happy to be home but honestly I was apprehensive yesterday as I was getting ready to leave the hospital. I almost felt like crying because I felt safe in the hospital and at home I don't have that safety net of nurses and doctors if that makes sense. I was a bit scared to come home. I know that's sort of pathetic but I am being honest. LOL Suse said one of the things she loves about me is my inability to tell a white lie. I won't go into the boring details about what brought that about and she is not entirely correct because if I have to I can tell a little white lie but lying is not my forte. You can read every emotion I am feeling on my face sadly. All the time.

My dh has to go back to work next week but I feel confident to be home alone now. I have a walker which is way better than crutches for me as I am much steadier on them. If I have any problems I can just call my doorman/super and help is right there. Plus I am really not alone if I need help there are friends/family I can call so I am just fine to be alone during the workday now.

I am glad to be on the road to recovery closer to where I need to be with each passing day. Thank you for "visiting" me here and keeping me company! :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, missy!I was away from the computer all day because I was running around and do not have a smart phone. (Imagine that!) I was glad to get back home and see that you had "slept like a log" last night. It sounds as if the pain meds must work if you do take 'em. (I also read that you are trying not to, and if they are causing the nausea, I hope you don't need them often.) Are they the source of the nausea? Can you take Motrin or Tylenol instead? You are right not to want to let the pain build up.

At any rate, you sound good. I hope you keep improving and your pain keeps diminishing!

Love,
Deb

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw this and thought of you!

_20119.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results