shape
carat
color
clarity

Not sure where to start with Diamond Pendant Necklace

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Hi All :wavey:
I have been longing for a classic, diamond pendant to wear on a daily basis. I think I have convinced hubby this is my gift for Christmas. I’m not sure where to start…diamond size, style/setting (pros/cons of bezel vs. non bezel), chain size & style, metal, etc. I’ve been interested in seeing an OEC in real life. Would it be wrong to have an OEC pendant, but modern cut for ER and earrings? Would you even be able to tell in .5-.75 ct? For reference I have ~1.8 ctw diamond studs (white gold) that I wear often. My ER is a 2 ct ACA with Emilya Cushion setting (platinum). Budget is probably between $2.000-$3,000, would be nice to stay closer to the $2k side.

Also, with a pendant I do not need to spend the premium for a super ideal cut. I obviously just don’t want a dud.
Any suggestions on where to start? I have been looking around on pricescope/online and did see these settings that caught my eye. Although I don’t think I would like the gaps in the first setting.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/72ct-old-european-cut-diamond-bezel-pendant#.WEDvEX1RS_A
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/65ct-old-mine-cut-diamond-bezel-pendant#.WEDwVX1RS_A

Thanks!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting ready to have a 3 stone diamond pendant made and the one thing I know for sure is that I am having it made as a true pendant, not a fixed piece on a chain. Too many people complain that it never sits right on the neck when thr stone is fixed.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Good to know, thanks. What style is your 3 stone? I was also debating a 3 stone as I have three kids and eventually want a piece of jewelry that represents them but haven't found a 3 stone design I love for everyday. Was thinking maybe a bracelet eventually.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a .69 carat J AVR, fixed in a white gold basket and a rose gold chain. I love it and wear it daily. My daily, never take off studs are 2.3 ctw. My e-ring is a 3.04 carat OEC. I have always known I wanted a small diamond pendant, .75 carat or less. The size is perfect for me and I have no desire to upgrade. Weird huh? And it pretty much stays in place. It's on a 16 inch chain.

_2027.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lljsmom! I forgot how cute that gold skull pendant is! I need to find one for myself!

I think frame plays a part in how a necklace and diamond will look. LLJSMOM is clearly quite slim the way a 16" chain dangles from her neck and the presence her 0.69 has on her. For me to get a similar look I'd need 18"+ and probably 1.2 carat no bezel :lol: . I am also obese. The plus side of having extra fat is that the fat on the back of my neck keeps the chain from moving much - just a few degrees left or right of center.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agree with Pinto Bean.

I am a size 16 and small delicate pieces are easily overwhelmed.

I would make sure you try on a number of pieces before spending any money. You can do it pretty easily. Just go to Tiffany. Or any place that has a number of solitaire pendants, and maybe some halo ones and go from there.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original engagement diamond is a .75 RB, Color H, clarity I1 (eyeclean). I'm adding two .37 color I diamonds and I plan to have them placed in 18k white gold with thin miligrain bezels. The jeweler is the one who suggested making ot a true pendant.

I also have three kids, an older child and then twins shortly thereafter, so I thought this would be a great symbol of them. (They are newrly out the house now, thank goodness lol).

I'm giving DH a break becore getting the setting done, so I hope to have it completed by the summer.

Q

Queenie60

img_1837_1.jpg

This is my pendant. Set in platinum milligrain. The stone is a 1.0 carat mrb. Does not move on my neck and I am not super slim, just average. I happen to like the fixed pendant and wear it daily.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
img_1743.jpg

Similar to this...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Queenie60|1480660605|4104237 said:
img_1837_1.jpg

This is my pendant. Set in platinum milligrain. The stone is a 1.0 carat mrb. Does not move on my neck and I am not super slim, just average. I happen to like the fixed pendant and wear it daily.

That sucker is GORGEOUS. And the double bezel setting makes it look much larger than diamonds set differently.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 pendants that I alternate. They are both certed. The original from my then boyfriend 11 years ago is a .40 CT F vs1 on a 17 inch plat chain. The second he bought for my 40th & is a .75 CT F vs2 on a 16 inch plat chain. Both are xxx & sparkle like crazy. The small one I am very attached to & is the one that never comes off. The bigger one I wear when going out. My engagement ring is only a smudge over 1ct, so I don't want to look off balance. I am 5' 7 & slim, for reference on proportions .

img_20161202_114332779.jpg

mns12

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom|1480653796|4104216 said:
I have a .69 carat J AVR, fixed in a white gold basket and a rose gold chain. I love it and wear it daily. My daily, never take off studs are 2.3 ctw. My e-ring is a 3.04 carat OEC. I have always known I wanted a small diamond pendant, .75 carat or less. The size is perfect for me and I have no desire to upgrade. Weird huh? And it pretty much stays in place. It's on a 16 inch chain.

_2027.jpg

I remember seeing your pendant and loving it. Love the combo with the rose gold chair. Almost like it is floating on your neck!
Question, do you think you can see the difference between and MRB and OEC in that size?

mns12

Shiny_Rock
img_1837_1.jpg

Gorgeous :love: I love the bezel setting and the fact that the chain is adjustable! Do you mind me asking ball park price for a setting like that? Not sure how much of the budget I should set aside for the necklace itself? Also, did you go to IDJ in person to view and pick the stone? If I use a PS vendor I won't be able to visit in person and will have to trust the vendor.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
whitewave|1480660755|4104238 said:
img_1743.jpg

Similar to this...

That is really pretty!!

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Alex T|1480679537|4104252 said:
I have 2 pendants that I alternate. They are both certed. The original from my then boyfriend 11 years ago is a .40 CT F vs1 on a 17 inch plat chain. The second he bought for my 40th & is a .75 CT F vs2 on a 16 inch plat chain. Both are xxx & sparkle like crazy. The small one I am very attached to & is the one that never comes off. The bigger one I wear when going out. My engagement ring is only a smudge over 1ct, so I don't want to look off balance. I am 5' 7 & slim, for reference on proportions .

So pretty, thanks for sharing!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mns12|1480712506|4104380 said:
whitewave|1480660755|4104238 said:
img_1743.jpg

Similar to this...

That is really pretty!!

That particular one is obviously OEC done by Brian Gavin that Grace had

Q

Queenie60

mns12|1480712467|4104379 said:
img_1837_1.jpg

Gorgeous :love: I love the bezel setting and the fact that the chain is adjustable! Do you mind me asking ball park price for a setting like that? Not sure how much of the budget I should set aside for the necklace itself? Also, did you go to IDJ in person to view and pick the stone? If I use a PS vendor I won't be able to visit in person and will have to trust the vendor.

The entire necklace was about $5500. Included the stone and setting. I trusted IDJ to pick the stone for me. He emailed all certificates, photos, and necessary images. It's a GIA XXX stone. It's an I - VS2, eye clean and not a hint of color. Very sparkly and I enjoy wearing it every day. Double bezel gives the stone a much larger look.

I have had Yekutiel pick a few stones for me over the past year and have not been disappointed.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I do think you can see the difference in OEC vs MRB in that size. I have a .65 transitional bezel pendant, and it definitely sparkles differently than my MRB studs. 18" chain, I'm 5'5" and slim-medium build, for reference.

I don't wear them at the same time, because the pendant is much lower in color and while I love it on its own, it looks dingy against the studs. Truthfully though I'm not sure I'd wear them together, even if they matched - I like to mix it up!

img_13849.jpg

mns12

Shiny_Rock
FightGravity|1480725335|4104436 said:
I do think you can see the difference in OEC vs MRB in that size. I have a .65 transitional bezel pendant, and it definitely sparkles differently than my MRB studs. 18" chain, I'm 5'5" and slim-medium build, for reference.

I don't wear them at the same time, because the pendant is much lower in color and while I love it on its own, it looks dingy against the studs. Truthfully though I'm not sure I'd wear them together, even if they matched - I like to mix it up!

Thanks for the information! I keep going back to 1 or 2 OEC's in the size I'm looking for but since I want this to be an everyday piece sounds like I should stick with MRB. Love your pendant as well!

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Queenie60|1480721996|4104425 said:
img_1837_1.jpg

The entire necklace was about $5500. Included the stone and setting. I trusted IDJ to pick the stone for me. He emailed all certificates, photos, and necessary images. It's a GIA XXX stone. It's an I - VS2, eye clean and not a hint of color. Very sparkly and I enjoy wearing it every day. Double bezel gives the stone a much larger look.

I have had Yekutiel pick a few stones for me over the past year and have not been disappointed.

That is helpful to know, thank you! I would like to be in the .6ish ct range so I'll have to call IDJ and see if diamond plus setting would be in my price range. I hope you don't mind if I reference your necklace. The more I look at it the more I think that is the look I am after.

Q

Queenie60

mns12|1480731852|4104458 said:
Queenie60|1480721996|4104425 said:
img_1837_1.jpg

That is helpful to know, thank you! I would like to be in the .6ish ct range so I'll have to call IDJ and see if diamond plus setting would be in my price range. I hope you don't mind if I reference your necklace. The more I look at it the more I think that is the look I am after.

Not at all - please reference my pendant. You can save $$ by using 14K gold rather than platinum. Depends on what you're looking for. I used platinum as I will keep this and wear it daily and if I ever want to go larger, will pass this on to my daughter. Had I been concerned about upgrading in the future I would have gone with 14K gold rather than platinum. Personal preference.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Considering these 2 diamonds for the necklace. Any concerns? The are priced about the same.

Does anyone have any experience with the fixed vs. slide pendant? Also, thoughts on having the bail on the back to protect the culet from touching the skin? I'm still debating on pendant style (plain or milgrain bezel or no bezel).

pendant_option_1_1.png

pendant_option_2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results