shape
carat
color
clarity

(Not so) Rwd Ruby

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I had noticed that origin is not established by analysis, but provenance. If another lab report says 'Burma', then you might discard this report... as seems to be the norm.

My concern here is the smallnes of the thing. I remain with the impression of a staggering price drop for little stones with more presence on paper than in person - if they canot stand as single stone... I might be talking of old history here.

I hear you @AV_ and I know you’ve been suggesting a number on rubies from Starruby (now GemKeepers) because they have a large offer of untreated Mozambican material at good prices. I have seen some rubies from that region and due to the high iron content they tend to fluoresce less. And I must admit, the Burmese origin, which seems to also come with a hint of purplish hue in the rubies, paired with excellent fluorescence - won me over.

I really like the ruby I purchased and am glad with AGL’s results, which seem to confirm that color is optimal (without entering the realm of the divine which would cost even more).

Does this ruby have it’s flaws? Yes, for sure. But I learned to like them too.

As @T L said, I could have probably found a better deal had I looked long enough, but I am happy with this one - in all its 1-carat beauty :)

Have a nice afternoon!
VRed

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @T L said, I could have probably found a better deal had I looked long enough, but I am happy with this one - in all its 1-carat beauty :)

Have a nice afternoon!
VRed

...and maybe you might not! Ruby prices are extremely high right now. Enjoy your stone. Are you planning on setting it? I forget if you mentioned that, there’s so many ruby related threads lately.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
My reaction has more to do with the hike than the stone. Then again, if not ruby than what!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
...and maybe you might not! Ruby prices are extremely high right now. Enjoy your stone. Are you planning on setting it? I forget if you mentioned that, there’s so many ruby related threads lately.

Hi @T L my was something like this bit I am open to suggestions! Preferreably not a ring though :)

3696AC6D-9FD4-46D6-8945-911B44C66809.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a very pretty pendant. My only advice would be to make sure to get it in platinum and a platinum chain. You don’t want to lose that puppy!!!!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
VR, can you link or show us the new report?

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a way to check it online? I don’t find that option on their website :confused:

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Nice! Is that the biggest/fullest report from AGL? And how much was this, if we may ask? Was the import-export process to the US a problem? How did that work? Thanks for sharing.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
It was the Prestige full grading report. Price was USD 390 + 120 for international priority shipping. No problem at the customs, I suppose they know what they are doing when shipping stones around the world - i.e. I suppose there is a commercial code they use or just declare it as return shipment...who knows.

When I sent it to the US I underdeclared the value, which is pretty much the only way to avoid getting attention (plus, I did not economically export the stone :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the report was $1k, maybe for larger stones???

In any case, peace of mind is priceless. :mrgreen:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I thought the report was $1k, maybe for larger stones???
USD 390 was also the price I paid; it's the price for up to 2 ct. Maybe your stones are larger? :tongue:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
USD 390 was also the price I paid; it's the price for up to 2 ct. Maybe your stones are larger? :tongue:
I only ever bought the AGL gem brief, and they were normally $100, but I had to pay $200 for another because they needed to test it ( a sapphire) with a mass spectrometer. My stones were never a premium due to origin, so I never splurged on the prestige report. I also never paid more than 2k for any gem I own, so I didn’t splurge due to price either.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I only ever bought the AGL gem brief, and they were normally $100, but I had to pay $200 for another because they needed to test it ( a sapphire) with a mass spectrometer. My stones were never a premium due to origin, so I never splurged on the prestige report. I also never paid more than 2k for any gem I own, so I didn’t splurge due to price either.
In my case, I knew the origin already (Mozambique). I wanted the full color scan (they stopped doing it and I didn't know, boohoo) and the clarity, cut, and brilliance grading for my own education. I'm not even happy with the info on a regular Prestige report because I want a standardized clarity rating at least as much as I want the origin. Most of the time the origin is pretty clear to me, and I'm not willing to pay premium for origin, but will do so for clarity and brilliance. But the only way to get that info in a reliable and objective way is to go with AGL full Prestige. I've never seen another lab provide the clarity, cut, or brilliance grading for a colored stone other than fancy diamond.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also heard, but I could be wrong, that if you need the mass spectrometer, you have to upgrade to the prestige report. I didn’t when I had my sapphire tested several years ago.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
In my case, I knew the origin already (Mozambique). I wanted the full color scan (they stopped doing it and I didn't know, boohoo) and the clarity, cut, and brilliance grading for my own education. I'm not even happy with the info on a regular Prestige report because I want a standardized clarity rating at least as much as I want the origin. Most of the time the origin is pretty clear to me, and I'm not willing to pay premium for origin, but will do so for clarity and brilliance. But the only way to get that info in a reliable and objective way is to go with AGL full Prestige. I've never seen another lab provide the clarity, cut, or brilliance grading for a colored stone other than fancy diamond.

Agree, I also already knew origin and lack of treatment from the GRS report. I wanted the color/clarity/brilliance/cut/finish grading. Ultimately it is a great stone but the results are quite a bit different from those quoted by the vendor - e.g. clarity was very lightly included on the vendor website vs. moderately included in the AGL report. Or the brilliance - 80% vendor, 50% AGL.

In the end it’s a ruby, color is by far the most
important and I cannot complain about it :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vendors typically come up with they’re own grading. For example, I purchased two Mahenge spinels from a well known vendor, and even though he used GIA terminology, vspR 3/5 (very slightly pinkish RED with medium tone and strong saturation), I was shocked when I got them, and they were pretty pathetic looking in color. I was glad I returned them, because I’ve purchased much more saturated Mahenge since then. I guess we all have different judgements on color, so it’s good to get a neutral expert to review the gem in question.

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FYI, I sent an emerald to AGL about a year ago. I ordered a Prestige Grading Report in order to get the color grading. Here is a copy of their price list at that time.

AGL Pricelist.png

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, I sent an emerald to AGL about a year ago. I ordered a Prestige Grading Report in order to get the color grading. Here is a copy of their price list at that time.

Thanks! Obviously shipping and handling is another surcharge unless you can drop off and pick up the stone in person.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@VividRed, did you end up keeping that AJS ruby too?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I did!

Do you care to share you experience with the vendor?

I see that they only provide 1 very "staged" picture with a possible video. I don't know how to read such image yet because it always looks very unrealistic to my inexperienced eyes. Did you request additional info before the purchase? Were they helpful in providing additional images under different lights?

Thank you. We all just got so excited about your pear and almost forgot the other lovely.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Do you care to share you experience with the vendor?

I see that they only provide 1 very "staged" picture with a possible video. I don't know how to read such image yet because it always looks very unrealistic to my inexperienced eyes. Did you request additional info before the purchase? Were they helpful in providing additional images under different lights?

Thank you. We all just got so excited about your pear and almost forgot the other lovely.

Fair enough :)

Ron from AJS was very pleasant to work with. We had a long exchange of email where he helped me understand the color or the ruby I was interested in. He sent some additional pictures which to be honest were pretty decent, especially now that I understand better how ruby appears under various light settings. Looking back I should have asked for more pictures (I totally would today!) and I am sure he would have accomodated without any problem - but at the time I felt good enough about what I saw.

When the stone arrived, I was initially disappointed because I opened the parcel in the office where fluo light is everywhere...not good with ruby, the EM spectrum is totally red deficient so the stone looked dark and dull. Not so much in natural daylight and incandescent light, where it looked but better and ruby-like!

Nonetheless, non knowing what 2k could buy, I wanted more. I asked Ron to see more rubies with a more vivid red color and medium dark tone. He sent me another one, priced at around 7k, which I didn’t like enough to justify the price gap - although it was better cut, cleaner and with much higher brilliance. A better stone overall, just not in the red I wanted. I asked if I could return it and Ron told
me that it was of course no problem and he basically factored in that would only keep one of the two stones. So I kept the 2k stone, which I actually reall like now.

Overall very good experience and easy return policy, very friendly and responsove service!

I also learned that with ruby you get what you pay for and at that price, considering it was my first serious purchase, it was a good deal!

Reactions: T L

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Fair enough :)

Ron from AJS was very pleasant to work with. We had a long exchange of email where he helped me understand the color or the ruby I was interested in. He sent some additional pictures which to be honest were pretty decent, especially now that I understand better how ruby appears under various light settings. Looking back I should have asked for more pictures (I totally would today!) and I am sure he would have accomodated without any problem - but at the time I felt good enough about what I saw.

When the stone arrived, I was initially disappointed because I opened the parcel in the office where fluo light is everywhere...not good with ruby, the EM spectrum is totally red deficient so the stone looked dark and dull. Not so much in natural daylight and incandescent light, where it looked but better and ruby-like!

Nonetheless, non knowing what 2k could buy, I wanted more. I asked Ron to see more rubies with a more vivid red color and medium dark tone. He sent me another one, priced at around 7k, which I didn’t like enough to justify the price gap - although it was better cut, cleaner and with much higher brilliance. A better stone overall, just not in the red I wanted. I asked if I could return it and Ron told
me that it was of course no problem and he basically factored in that would only keep one of the two stones. So I kept the 2k stone, which I actually reall like now.

Overall very good experience and easy return policy, very friendly and responsove service!

I also learned that with ruby you get what you pay for and at that price, considering it was my first serious purchase, it was a good deal!

Thank you for the detailed review. Very helpful. Before I asked you, I did do a search on AJS but didn't find too many on PS.

Any chance of taking photos of all your rubies together for our viewing pleasure? It must be so much fun staring at them 24/7!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the detailed review. Very helpful. Before I asked you, I did do a search on AJS but didn't find too many on PS.

Any chance of taking photos of all your rubies together for our viewing pleasure? It must be so much fun staring at them 24/7!

Ok, I will do that, although I only have 2 (plus a chatham synthetic that I will also post for comparison, if that’s allowed)

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
:dance::dance::dance:...can't wait!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
4308474F-8F0C-4161-BC20-58B36AD7C12F.jpeg 3DC223EC-7F25-42FB-B1DC-5D664160F66E.jpeg F23FD7A9-B4E2-4661-BC71-A46DC394D22F.jpeg FB76E758-E6D8-49BE-9D57-EF414F394C16.jpeg EBEBB9E7-1DE6-4817-BBB0-B79B9C0480E2.jpeg

So today I don’t know if my phone camera is striking or if the light is just bad, either way the pictures are not good and the color doesn’t come out good. Here a couple of attempts, I might try again over the weekend ;-)

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think your oval/roval is better than the pear. Just looks brighter on camera. Is that the AJS gem? What did it cost you?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
:love:...such fun! The AJS chunky oval is very nice too even though it's slightly more silky than the pear!

What is the left trillion(?)?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results