shape
carat
color
clarity

Not as sparkle as what the number reflects?

astar11

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I got my diamond from one of the vendor here. The number looks good. But I want to know if I received the same diamond as I ordered?
How do I know that?

also, I wonder why even if the number looks good but the diamond doesn't sparkle as much as I want ? :(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
astar11|1371011979|3463981 said:
Hello all,

I got my diamond from one of the vendor here. The number looks good. But I want to know if I received the same diamond as I ordered?
How do I know that?

also, I wonder why even if the number looks good but the diamond doesn't sparkle as much as I want ? :(

Compare the inclusions plotted on your report to those you see with a 10x loupe.

For more sparkle change the lighting.
No diamond sparkles under flat even lighting.
Use spotlighting, full sun outside, Home Depot and Costco have light that makes diamonds sparkle.

The smaller the light source (actually the smaller the angle, IOW the sun is huge but far away so the effective angle it make is small) the more the sparkle.
The larger the light is, actually larger angle, the less the sparkle.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto.
And clean it.

astar11

Rough_Rock
I saw my friend's ring sparkle so much when we were at our friend's home (which is using those yellow bulb).

Then when I saw my ring in the airplane, it doesn't sparkle as much as her :(

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
astar11|1371011979|3463981 said:
Hello all,

How do I know that?

Your diamond should have a number laser inscribed on the girdle. A jeweler with a microscope or sufficient powered loupe can verify the number against the report to check that it is the same stone as the report.

As for sparkle- there's always going to be some lighting that doesn't really make for good "sparkle" in a stone. Sadly, diamonds don't shoot fire at all times and I'm not sure what you are seeing. Perhaps you could post a picture for people to see what you see?

Maybe you could post the numbers from the report as well to see what the proportions are in your stone? Perhaps it leans towards white light instead of spectral color? The proportions would give people a better idea of that.

astar11

Rough_Rock
Here is the number bastetcat:

Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Carat: 2
Table: 55
Depth: 61.3
Crown: 34.1
Pavillion: 40.7

Lula

Ideal_Rock
astar11|1371078468|3464586 said:
Here is the number bastetcat:

Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Carat: 2
Table: 55
Depth: 61.3
Crown: 34.1
Pavillion: 40.7

Not all ideal cuts sparkle the same. The minor facets, e.g., stars and lower girdle facet, have an effect on the diamond's appearance, and we don't know what those numbers are for your stone. What lab graded this diamond? GIA or AGS? The stars and lower girdle numbers are on the report.

Tools like HCA and Idealscope measure light return, but they do not measure the diamond's brilliance or scintillation. Scintillation is especially important -- it's what most people perceive as sparkle. A diamond with a less-than-perfect Idealscope image can have more scintillation than a diamond with a perfect Idealscope. So there are variations in appearance in diamonds, even ideal cut diamonds.

And there's personal preference as well. For example, some people like diamonds with smaller tables; some people like diamonds with larger tables, for example.

My point is, don't talk yourself into this diamond if, to your eyes, it is not sparkly enough. Especially if you've looked at in a variety of lighting conditions, and if you've taken it into a jewelry store, or another location with very bright lights, and it still doesn't look sparkly to you. If you are within your return period, it might make more sense to return it and start over rather than trying to convince yourself that you love it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
air plane light is diffused fluorescent light. The fluorescent tubes are up near the overhead compartments. It will not be sparkly in an airplane unless you are sitting next to the window and you are getting sunlight.

astar11

Rough_Rock
Stars 55
Lower girdle: 79

how do we know whether one have great scintillation?
Hca is .8

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
astar, from the numbers you posted and your previous posts, you have a top of the grade AGS 0, and perhaps your expectations are too much?

If you watch this video, Jon is showing his beautiful Brellias in 4 different environments. You can see that each lighting environment produces a different kind of look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAQRAt8uLrc

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results