shape
carat
color
clarity

Not a positive experience thus far...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:04:38 PM
Author: kenny
What problems do you guys spot in the ring Brian posted?

Below the lower left bezel-set RB is a ridge that is not present on the right side. That''s the only thing that jumps out at me really.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if when these customers are noticing their diamond leaning to one side, is it so big a deal? I know we are going to be paying big money and it should be correct but is this not something that would be changed anyway in the annual or bi-annual check up at your local jeweller. All diamonds should be checked for safety so if there is loose prongs the diamond will shift a bit will it not and so the prong will need to be re-tightened and the diamond straightened anyway. I was to state again I know if should be right and especially for the proposal but it would be checked and altered many times during ownership anyway, would it not?

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, a game. Much more fun than work. Here's my best guess...Still trying to get the lingo right.
The halo is uneven overall -- it tilts slightly down to the left, or is given the appearance of tilting slightly because (1) it does not appear to be centered over the point at which it connects to the shank and/or (2) the edges (milgrain?) of the sections of the halo (dividing it horizontally) are wavy. The diamond, on the other hand, appears slightly tilted to the right, but it is hard to tell given the white background. There is also a weird black thing -- maybe just a shadow?? on the left where the two parts of the shank come together. From the top view, it looks like the top left corner diamond (melee?) is set in a way that makes the diamond look awfully dark. The beads of metal between the small diamonds are all uneven.

Decode -- I can't believe I missed that big metal divet on the left. Oy.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the picture Brian posted, I see the diamond set bezel from the side looks sloping down to the left side, the diamond on the right of the shank (bezel set one) looks bigger than the one on the left. However is the ring standing tilted a bit on the surface it is standing on, that I am not sure?

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
The whole ring is totally non symmetrical, the halo is wavy, the shank appears to down from the halo on the face up pic. But mainly its the symmetry to me - just looks off in many ways.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:14:09 PM
Author: Pyramid
I was wondering if when these customers are noticing their diamond leaning to one side, is it so big a deal? I know we are going to be paying big money and it should be correct but is this not something that would be changed anyway in the annual or bi-annual check up at your local jeweller. All diamonds should be checked for safety so if there is loose prongs the diamond will shift a bit will it not and so the prong will need to be re-tightened and the diamond straightened anyway. I was to state again I know if should be right and especially for the proposal but it would be checked and altered many times during ownership anyway, would it not?

Having the head tilted off center and the diamond sloped downward to one side within the prongs is a BIG deal, well at least to me . . . I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a big deal to anyone spending thousands of $$$$ . . . but ya know I could be wrong.
Pyramid, would it be okay if your ring had the diamond off center and sloped? If it started out that way after you paid a LOT of money? Just curious? Not being aggressive with my comment/question.
Also, if you can make the above statement then a ring with lots of straches should also be okay because in time all rings get scratches eventually that would have to be buffed out? Doesn't make sense to me to not have the center stone set properly in the brand new ring. Just my $0.02 . . . for what they are worth.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:04:38 PM
What problems do you guys spot in the ring Brian posted?
I stopped counting at 12 issues.
But most of them wouldnt get past the 30 second rule but would go into my quality grade.

The center big suprise diamond being off center to the upper part would be the worst and bug me to no end however!
The uneven bezel around the suprise diamonds is pretty yucky too.
The uneven side channels is totaly yucky and wouldnt make it past the 30 second rule.
Some of the prongs in the halo need checking too.

and of course the ridge deco mentioned.

30 second rule == if I see it in 30 seconds looking 1/2 arm lenth it gets fixed.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
interesting tactic/diversion from the topic at hand....

That reminds me of when siblings get in trouble and try to say, "But mom, he was behaving badly too!!"
My response would always be, "Regardless of what your brothe/sister did or didn''t do, you are responsible for this situation."

i just don''t see the relevance of pointing out someone else''s mistakes here.
I think everyone (including the original poster) agrees that it could happen anywhere. Seeing this doesn''t fix the problem.

(and I have no doubt that the vendor can and will make things right)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2007 2:29:16 PM
Author: hikerchick

Having the head tilted off center and the diamond sloped downward to one side within the prongs is a BIG deal, well at least to me . . . I can''t imagine that it wouldn''t be a big deal to anyone spending thousands of $$$$ . . . but ya know I could be wrong.
Pyramid, would it be okay if your ring had the diamond off center and sloped? If it started out that way after you paid a LOT of money? Just curious? Not being aggressive with my comment/question.
Also, if you can make the above statement then a ring with lots of straches should also be okay because in time all rings get scratches eventually that would have to be buffed out? Doesn''t make sense to me to not have the center stone set properly in the brand new ring. Just my $0.02 . . . for what they are worth.
1.gif

hikerchick I still agree with you that it should not be like that, I was just trying to see it from another angle, and I agree the scratches are not okay either.

What I was trying to get at, was is it really a permanent thing wrong with the ring, if the head is tilted where it sits on the shank I could see that would be permanent, but I do not know what jewellers do when checking stones for loose ones but wondered if the prongs being sloped to the side would not be a quick job fixed in 15 minutes when the stone may need fixed anyway due to working loose.

I also note what you were saying and I thought about it too that it is thousands of $$$$ and therefore as one poster said just above why should it be passed off as other companies do it too, when it is this company''s responsibility to fix it . I would not be happy either if it was my ring, having paid the money, wanting it to be perfect when new because as you said you don''t want to buy a new ring with scratches on it, IT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK BRAND NEW! I am in the UK so I would probably have to be happy with it or take it to local jeweller because having paid 17.5% vat and 2.5% customs on it, I would not want to be asked to pay that again, it is nearly a quarter of the cost of the ring. I do not know if that happens, maybe they take receipts as proof that it was imported before and I have often wondered about the upgrade thing and if that would work any other way than having to pay duty twice.

I was just writing the above to see if anyone else thought these type of errors would get fixed within the first year anyway. I am thinking sort of like when a house is built and the new owner is not allowed to wallpaper for a year incase cracks show up. I would be more unhappy though if the whole head was soldered on squint or the design of the ring was totally wrong, or the shank bent. I am in no way excusing the company or any company and I agree you are 100% correct for complaining, however I am also reminded on the thing Garry brought up once about Museum Quality not being Retail Quality and this makes me look at it from two sides. If it was my ring, I would be very unhappy too though when I opened the box and saw scratches, dents or the diamond head tilting.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 3:13:42 PM
Author: Pyramid

Date: 2/9/2007 2:29:16 PM
Author: hikerchick

Having the head tilted off center and the diamond sloped downward to one side within the prongs is a BIG deal, well at least to me . . . I can''t imagine that it wouldn''t be a big deal to anyone spending thousands of $$$$ . . . but ya know I could be wrong.
Also, if you can make the above statement then a ring with lots of straches should also be okay because in time all rings get scratches eventually that would have to be buffed out? Doesn''t make sense to me to not have the center stone set properly in the brand new ring. Just my $0.02 . . . for what they are worth.
1.gif

hikerchick I still agree with you that it should not be like that, I was just trying to see it from another angle, and I agree the scratches are not okay either.

What I was trying to get at, was is it really a permanent thing wrong with the ring, if the head is tilted where it sits on the shank I could see that would be permanent, but I do not know what jewellers do when checking stones for loose ones but wondered if the prongs being sloped to the side would not be a quick job fixed in 15 minutes when the stone may need fixed anyway due to working loose.

I also note what you were saying and I thought about it too that it is thousands of $$$$ and therefore as one poster said just above why should it be passed off as other companies do it too, when it is this company''s responsibility to fix it . I would not be happy either if it was my ring, having paid the money, wanting it to be perfect when new because as you said you don''t want to buy a new ring with scratches on it, IT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK BRAND NEW! I am in the UK so I would probably have to be happy with it or take it to local jeweller because having paid 17.5% vat and 2.5% customs on it, I would not want to be asked to pay that again, it is nearly a quarter of the cost of the ring. I do not know if that happens, maybe they take receipts as proof that it was imported before and I have often wondered about the upgrade thing and if that would work any other way than having to pay duty twice.

I was just writing the above to see if anyone else thought these type of errors would get fixed within the first year anyway. I am thinking sort of like when a house is built and the new owner is not allowed to wallpaper for a year incase cracks show up. I would be more unhappy though if the whole head was soldered on squint or the design of the ring was totally wrong, or the shank bent. I am in no way excusing the company or any company and I agree you are 100% correct for complaining, however I am also reminded on the thing Garry brought up once about Museum Quality not being Retail Quality and this makes me look at it from two sides. If it was my ring, I would be very unhappy too though when I opened the box and saw scratches, dents or the diamond head tilting.
Pyramid you wouldn''t have to pay the duty twice. If you have to return the ring to be repaired you wouldn''t be charged again provided you can prove you paid it the first time
1.gif
As for the upgrade I''m not sure, you might just have to pay the difference?

Maisie

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Maisie. I thought there must be something if we can prove it was paid already.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:49:20 PM
Author: Carlotta

That reminds me of when siblings get in trouble and try to say, ''But mom, he was behaving badly too!!''
My response would always be, ''Regardless of what your brothe/sister did or didn''t do, you are responsible for this situation.''

I think everyone (including the original poster) agrees that it could happen anywhere. Seeing this doesn''t fix the problem.

I agree with this sentiment. I got a queasy feeling when Brian puts up a picture of a competitors product and implies imperfections with it.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 3:32:40 PM
Author: whatmeworry

That reminds me of when siblings get in trouble and try to say, 'But mom, he was behaving badly too!!'
My response would always be, 'Regardless of what your brothe/sister did or didn't do, you are responsible for this situation.'

i just don't see the relevance of pointing out someone else's mistakes here.
I think everyone (including the original poster) agrees that it could happen anywhere. Seeing this doesn't fix the problem.

I agree with this sentiment. I got a queasy feeling when Brian puts up a picture of a competitors product and implies imperfections with it.

I'm sorry you missed the point here.Brian did not criticize that ring in any way.In fact, he pointed out that it’s the poster child of a national ad campaign:It’s art and he observed, correctly, that “With the power to see everything at huge magnifications we must temper expectations with reality: Jewelry is an art and even the strongest companies create with human hands.

It’s no criticism, and no diversion from the topic either:He’s stating the fact that when you operate in an internet medium as we do, people are prone to pointing out any inconsistencies in such a photo even though 2D renderings of 3D objects are limited.

The posts that followed his, doing just that, make his point crystal clear.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 3:52:12 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Not sure about that It did prove that everyone messes up sometime but Id be returning that ring and raising heck if it was delievered to me that way.
It has nothing to do with the net.

I do agree with Brian that how a company handles these problems is most important because they will come up.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
My apologies to Brian. It is this statement where I inferred he was slamming a competitor.

"Still, for perspective, here is an example of a ring made by a premier manufacturer. If this ring was put out by Whiteflash I believe we’d be raked over the forum coals due to inconsistencies seen in the photo (it’s happened before). "

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock

That reminds me of when siblings get in trouble and try to say, ''But mom, he was behaving badly too!!''
My response would always be, ''Regardless of what your brothe/sister did or didn''t do, you are responsible for this situation.''

I''m sorry you missed the point here.Brian did not criticize that ring in any way.In fact, he pointed out that it’s the poster child of a national ad campaign:It’s art and he observed, correctly, that “With the power to see everything at huge magnifications we must temper expectations with reality: Jewelry is an art and even the strongest companies create with human hands.

It’s no criticism, and no diversion from the topic either:He’s stating the fact that when you operate in an internet medium as we do, people are prone to pointing out any inconsistencies in such a photo even though 2D renderings of 3D objects are limited.

I still don''t get the relevance of Brian''s statement to the issue at hand. The original statement of the poster was that they had received the ring and could see IN PERSON the concerns they brought forward (and without magnification??). It was also stated that they did NOT get to see photos ahead of time to OK shipment of the finished product...??

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 4:23:26 PM

I still don''t get the relevance of Brian''s statement to the issue at hand. The original statement of the poster was that they had received the ring and could see IN PERSON the concerns they brought forward (and without magnification??). It was also stated that they did NOT get to see photos ahead of time to OK shipment of the finished product...??
both of the issues you bring up were addressed up front in johnq''s first post. perhaps you should go back and read the whole thread.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 4:15:38 PM
My apologies to Brian. It is this statement where I inferred he was slamming a competitor.

'Still, for perspective, here is an example of a ring made by a premier manufacturer. If this ring was put out by Whiteflash I believe we’d be raked over the forum coals due to inconsistencies seen in the photo (it’s happened before). '
That sentence isn't 'slamming' anyone. Slamming would be 'Boy this Tiffany ring surely is a complete piece of crap, we'd never hear the end of it if we put something like this out.'

The whole point of Brian posting that to me was to show that photos can be misleading OR not. They are virtual one dimensional pictures on a monitor. Until you have the ring in hand and can see with your own eye, it's hard to say anything definitively. Many times people see things in photos that turn out to be a trick of the photo when they have it in person.

I didn't take it as anything more or less.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
The unintended consequence is that the posts following Brain''s started nitpicking a competitor''s product. That''s what made me queasy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I asked what things people saw because I didn''t notice them and was curious.

Sorry.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2007 4:05:46 PM
Author: strmrdr

Not sure about that It did prove that everyone messes up sometime but Id be returning that ring and raising heck if it was delievered to me that way.
It has nothing to do with the net.

I do agree with Brian that how a company handles these problems is most important because they will come up.

I disagree Storm, when you say it has nothing to do with the net.
I think the Internet is a very unique animal.
People are anonymous and that leads to problems that wouldn't happen if we were all in a room together.

Threads take on a life of their own.
The community dynamics take over.
Certain members circle the wagons to protect their favorite vendors.
Human nature results in others seeing this and circling them and trying to take them down to win the argument.
People use an inflammatory word or analogy or two and BAM, you got a war.

The original issue gets blown up all out of proportion.
The original poster gets portrayed as the most evil human to walk the face of the planet.
Feelings are hurt.
Business can be hurt unfairly.
It becomes the life purpose of a few to influence others to share her/his perspective about the issue or about a poster or a vendor.
People have to be right!

Internet forums are fascinating sociological Petri dishes.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 5:00:37 PM
The unintended consequence is that the posts following Brain''s started nitpicking a competitor''s product. That''s what made me queasy.
For the record, people were being pretty good natured about discussing the picture, not to mention that vendors'' products are posted on here all the time and discussed (or nitpicked), what is really so different about this instance? Maybe this also goes back to the point of the post Brian made which is...don''t nitpick a magnified picture.
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 5:18:29 PM
Honestly I asked what things people saw because I didn''t notice them and was curious.

Sorry.
Kenny, I swear to you... half the time I can''t see the imperfections that are completely obvious to others. I have this 4 MM RIPPLE in the basket of my setting , does it bug me? Yep. But that''s because its 4mm long. Doesn''t need magnification... it''s noticable 2 feet away from the setting. LOL. That''s pretty much what it takes to really bug me. I looked and that and though... I wonder why Brian is posting a pic of the Tiffany Legacy?

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 6:00:00 PM
Author: Mara

For the record, people were being pretty good natured about discussing the picture, not to mention that vendors'' products are posted on here all the time and discussed (or nitpicked), what is really so different about this instance? Maybe this also goes back to the point of the post Brian made which is...don''t nitpick a magnified picture.
2.gif
Because it was a vendor that originally posted the picture. What if the picture was of a setting from another PS vendor? That wouldn''t go over too well. Sigh. It''s Friday. I need some pie.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 6:25:23 PM

Date: 2/9/2007 6:00:00 PM
Author: Mara

2.gif
Because it was a vendor that originally posted the picture. What if the picture was of a setting from another PS vendor? That wouldn''t go over too well. Sigh. It''s Friday. I need some pie.
I defected from pie lovin'' today to nosh on some corporate birthday cake...mmmm white cake and whipped cream frosting. Sometimes ya just gotta have it!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

hot4teacher

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 1:27:47 PM
Author: BrianTheCutter

We want to thank and acknowledge those who have participated here. The strength of Pricescope is that it allows people to express opinions. Some we agree with and others we do not.

We owe many thanks to the members of this forum for the reputation we enjoy. We are one of the largest online manufacturers of custom jewelry in the world and without your feedback we would not be where we are. There is a reason our company is highly recommended: We¡¯ve operated for more than seven years and over time less than 1% of our daily production has resulted in customer concerns (how would we be measured in the real world with this success rate?). This is no easy task. Unfortunately that does not make it right for customers who fall in the other position, but in those cases we hope to create trust through commitment and our willingness to help them.

There are different personalities on a team. Bob has great expertise but a personality which some like and others do not. There are people who do not mix so well with me either. We apologize if any one of us fails to convey the spirit of the company in an interaction. Hopefully it will not hinder our goals to provide you with quality products or resolve concerns.

We are a company of balance. As I am committed to visual balance in my diamonds, the Whiteflash team is committed to handling concerns in a balanced and fair manner. We assess incidents individually, on their own merits. As lovers of quality our own expectation are considerable. Still, for perspective, here is an example of a ring made by a premier manufacturer. If this ring was put out by Whiteflash I believe we¡¯d be raked over the forum coals due to inconsistencies seen in the photo (it¡¯s happened before). This was scanned from a full-page ad featured in popular magazines as a national advertising campaign for its parent company. With the power to see everything at huge magnifications we must temper expectations with reality: Jewelry is an art and even the strongest companies create with human hands.

493-NationalExample.jpg

As internet e-tailers we realize our customers want their pieces quickly and examine them with greater scrutiny than other markets. To this end there are custom jewelers who refuse projects when they sense a client is very detail-oriented. We¡¯ve always accepted that challenge. Those who criticize us are welcome to do so. It is an open forum.

We believe the measure of a company is not whether concerns arise, but how they are followed-up when they do.

There are two things Whiteflash will always do.

Continue our ongoing commitment to quality.
Work to make things right on an individual basis when there are reasonable concerns.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I''m sorry you missed the point here.Brian did not criticize that ring in any way.In fact, he pointed out that it’s the poster child of a national ad campaign:It’s art and he observed, correctly, that “With the power to see everything at huge magnifications we must temper expectations with reality: Jewelry is an art and even the strongest companies create with human hands.

Hand made jewelry is an art-form..., just like cutting Diamonds is.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...., just like perfection... Some would get the ring that Dana got and accept it as a masterpiece and some would find the "flaws" right away... Dana looked at the ring and noticed flaws..., i looked at the pictures of the ring and saw Character not a flaw...

The luxury people like Dana have is that she can get immediate attention to her "personal" problem... and that is because the close relationship WF has with some of their clients on PS. Something that amazes me more and more since i am on PS

I created a ring for my wife with one of the "best" jewelers in the business (not a PS vendor). It was created in platinum and hand made entirely (incl. the shank!). Since I insisted on a lot of detail, the more detailed the ring was, the more flaws/character the ring possessed. I or anyone could clearly see how un-even some parts of the ring were (no close-up needed). Atop of that..., I used an Antique OMC as center-stone..., and believe me when closing-up on the Diamond you can clearly see the diamond is not perfectly cut in todays standards..., but still this ring is considered a masterpiece by my wife (most important!!), and jewelers/friends of ours are amased of the beauty of this ring, and it cost me an arm and a leg just in labor costs!!!

I am completely neutral here, as i never did any business and dont know any of the PS vendors or experts on this site personaly. But it seems to me that the nitpicking on WF is completely out of line...
This forum is a great place for consumers to learn prior to purchasing, and way beyond that....
Its easy to attack here since the majority of posters are anonymous vs. the vendors/experts who are tranparance and open and very close to PS members...

When Brian posted a picture of the Tiffany ring, i think he meant to show an example of a ring that is greatly loved here on PS..., and that ring does possess a LOT of character!!! Its a hand-made ring that is extremely timeconsuming to produce..., and yet it is marketed and advertised all over the place with huge pictures that clearly shows that no two rings are alike!!!! That is the beauty of the art..., and consumers still love it with all its flaws or as i call it character!

I take it that Tiffany would not spend huge amount of $$$ marketing a flawed product.

Dana, you have the right to demand a piece of jewelry that you will love and i am certain WF will correct your problem to your satisfaction.

As a neutral bystander, I am reminding you that being a member of this wonderfull site is a priviledge most people dont have in this industry..., the amount of information here is tremendous for you to learn and enjoy!!! Please respect the information givers as it will be easy to chase them out. And the loss will be to both sides (consumers and professionals as one).

Good luck to all,

aztec22m

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for a diamond engagement ring and called WF about a diamond listed on their site that had "very strong" blue fluorescence. I read all of the info here about fluoresence but just wanted to speak to someone there that had seen the diamond. I called and was told that people were in a meeting and someone would call me back. That was over 2 weeks ago. I was a little surprised since I had read mostly great things about them and if I am going to buy online then buying from someone that has good sales and service is as important as what the diamond. You can get a great diamond from several online vendors.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone else forget things? I'm in a relationship business, where I do alot of work over the phone, responding to incoming calls and often dealing with people with little patience. Sometimes I forget to call people back, or lose messages (you do not want to see my desk) - it happens. I can't remember the last time this resulted in someone refusing to do business with me - and I'm in a very competitive market.

I understand a lot of the issues where poeple are not happy with a product, but raking people (WF or others) over the coals for forgeting to return a call for some reasons is a little extreme to me. Yes we all want perfection, but it just isn't going to happen. I'm not picking on aztec22mm in particular it jsut brought up an issue that has come up time and again. It gets up my nose since it hits close to home for me
29.gif

Just venting.

For what it's worth I sent an email to another vendor the middle of last week, and they haven't gotten back to me. It's the week before valentine's day - and may be a little busy. I'll follow up with them later (I'm not looking to a valetines present), I'm not immediately going to switch choice of vendor because they forgot (or was too busy, or misplace my email) to get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results