shape
carat
color
clarity

Nightmare on ebay street

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think we should buy one of these sapphires and resell it to Smithsonian as an example of archaeopteryx''s droppings - or, hopefully, Nicholas Cage will buy it when he pays off his debts!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t buy from NileGem. For one thing, they are overly kind in describing their own stones, which gives an impression of insincerity/untrustworthiness. Also, is it just me, or are their prices really high? Look at this spinel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-65-CTS-VERY-NICE-GEM-NATURAL-Sri-Lankan-SPINEL_W0QQitemZ170108292335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item279b3e8cef

It''s not a total disaster, but 256$ for a 2.65 carat stone with a huge window and a colour that is closer to newspaper gray than purple?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2010 5:50:48 AM
Author: Kim Bruun
I wouldn''t buy from NileGem. For one thing, they are overly kind in describing their own stones, which gives an impression of insincerity/untrustworthiness. Also, is it just me, or are their prices really high? Look at this spinel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-65-CTS-VERY-NICE-GEM-NATURAL-Sri-Lankan-SPINEL_W0QQitemZ170108292335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item279b3e8cef

It''s not a total disaster, but 256$ for a 2.65 carat stone with a huge window and a colour that is closer to newspaper gray than purple?
Srilankamall is an ebay seller that sells very similar colored Sri Lankan spinels, but in better native cuts, and for much much less. I bought these two, which are about a carat less than that (around 1.5 cts each), for around $20 each and free shipping. I liked the lighter tones, but they turned out to be too grey for my particular liking, even though you can still tell they''re lavender. Although they do have nice sparkle and no windows. Therefore, I think it''s appalling to see how much some dealers charge for very grey and washed out stones like this. Although Srilankamall doesn''t have the absolute best quality, you are paying rock bottom prices for nice native cuts, and free shipping! The large stone was not from Srilankamall, but put in the photo for comparison.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooops forgot photo.

TLspinelscompare22.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look lavender in photograph!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, guys, I came across another paleolythic piece yesterday, and in a bypass setting no less. But it was auctioned and the guy honestly said that he was new to ebay and did not know the rules well. He was from one of Southern states in the US. He was not unsure as to what the stones were, but at least did not say his products were top of the line. Should I post it here (it looks funny) or show clemency?
What I am going to start posting are some stories I find on ebay that accompany the products. These guys should be mystery writers!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2010 1:39:20 PM
Author: crasru
They look lavender in photograph!
They have a heavy grey mask, but there is lavender apparent. I thought they were a good buy for what they are. When I received them, I was pleasantly surprised for the price. Had I paid $250 for them, I would have been very disappointed. I actually think they would make nice accent stones to a larger more saturated stone in the same color family, or they would look nice offset by a baby pink spinel, and they would look nice in a bezel as well. I know there are many fans of more grey spinels on this board, so I point out Srilankamall as a more affordable option. They are pretty stones, and at least they do not have windows.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
For 20 dollars a pop, those two aren''t bad, TL - yes, they are grayish, but they don''t have that wet newspaper look that the insultingly expensive NileGem spinel has.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just
The seller''s name is akcmh and the item number is 200429571934. For reason yet unknown, I can not copy the link on my home computer. But maybe you''ll take a look and tell me what you think? He is in ring setting.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/23/2010 4:53:03 PM
Just
The seller's name is akcmh and the item number is 200429571934. For reason yet unknown, I can not copy the link on my home computer. But maybe you'll take a look and tell me what you think? He is in ring setting.
I am recovering from a BAAAAD cold/flu and I swear I coughed up something this morning that looked JUST like that (minus the metal). Now I am paranoid someone is harvesting my loogies under my house....

I also like the disclosure that you may find car hair in it....yum.

On a nice note....he does have some cute costume jewelry pieces in his stock.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2010 5:57:17 PM
Author: Tropicgal10

Just
The seller''s name is akcmh and the item number is 200429571934. For reason yet unknown, I can not copy the link on my home computer. But maybe you''ll take a look and tell me what you think? He is in ring setting.
I am recovering from a BAAAAD cold/flu and I swear I coughed up something this morning that looked JUST like that (minus the metal). Now I am paranoid someone is harvesting my loogies under my house....

With the latest trend...I''d say, save your wastes! Your cat"s, too. Maybe five years from now, you''ll make a fortune selling it on the ebay. And I agree with you on his costume jewelry.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/23/2010 6:38:41 PM

Date: 1/23/2010 5:57:17 PM
Author: Tropicgal10

Just

With the latest trend...I''d say, save your wastes! Your cat''s, too. Maybe five years from now, you''ll make a fortune selling it on the ebay. And I agree with you on his costume jewelry.
I dont have cats...just dogs. But dogs produce more carat weight. LOL EWWWWW! Ok grossness over.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if anybody else watches the show, but Jamie and Adam on Mythbusters proved that it is possible to polish a turd...

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL I saw that one! Well there ya go....that explains all the listings.Can you BE treat poop to turn it orange?

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
No, you just add carrot weight.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2010 8:41:03 PM
Author: Revolution
No, you just add carrot weight.
ROTFL! and L! and more L!
Just for this line, Jeff, I am going to buy from you whatever you post on your website whenever it is ready. March, you said?

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, thank you. (bows)

I''ll be here all week.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2010 8:05:40 PM
I don''t know if anybody else watches the show, but Jamie and Adam on Mythbusters proved that it is possible to polish a turd...

Hahaha!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Ok, that''s just wrong.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 10:44:46 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

It sure is true, based on this one listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Real-MOOSE-POOP-doo-doo-nugget-NECKLACE-jewelry-WEIRD_W0QQitemZ300389900837QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f0a22225
TL, I wonder what word did you use in the search engine?

Were it you who commented on everyone, including Pala, having trouble receiving quality material? I have a novel idea: using gallbladder stones. Why not? Better than moose poop-doo-doo, are colored, and they arey STONES. Natural. No windows. Now all one has to do is to find "poor and struggling" surgeon and have an unlimited supply of quality material. All that you need to do is to bezel set them...

And this moose-poop guy has a high rating, too!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Funny you should mention that...

My Mom had a gall stone out some years ago and it now resides in a small plastic jar on a shelf with a bunch of other stones. I admit, I have thought about cutting it. I opened up the jar to take a closer look one day. Bad idea. Lets just say it has a rather unattractive bouquet. More to the point, it smelled....funky.

I decided I didn't need to cut it after all.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 5:51:41 PM
Funny you should mention that...

My Mom had a gall stone out some years ago and it now resides in a small plastic jar on a shelf with a bunch of other stones. I admit, I have thought about cutting it. I opened up the jar to take a closer look one day. Bad idea. Lets just say it has a rather unattractive bouquet. More to the point, it smelled....funky.

I decided I didn''t need to cut it after all.
M-da-a... I think I was too quick to say that I was going to buy WHATEVER you cut. On a secont thought, I should probably ask about the origin of your material.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
"A genuine moose poop nugget, a product of Maine here in the U.S. Now you know what those folks do during those long New England winters! Go bonkers, that''s what, collecting moose droppings, drying them, coating them in polyurethane - I assure you there''s NO smell - and then making them into necklaces!. Nuggets are lightweight and 1" long; 20" black cord necklace with gold tone bead accents (INCLUDED) is 20" long. UNUSUAL GIFT for that special someone...with a sense of humor..we hope! "

Well, now I''ve seen it all.
23.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 7:34:26 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
''A genuine moose poop nugget, a product of Maine here in the U.S. Now you know what those folks do during those long New England winters! Go bonkers, that''s what, collecting moose droppings, drying them, coating them in polyurethane - I assure you there''s NO smell - and then making them into necklaces!. Nuggets are lightweight and 1'' long; 20'' black cord necklace with gold tone bead accents (INCLUDED) is 20'' long. UNUSUAL GIFT for that special someone...with a sense of humor..we hope! ''

Well, now I''ve seen it all.
23.gif
Well, I think they might be good for dieters . If you get hungry, just look at your moose poop pendant.
14.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to be a party pooper, but this thread has taken a very strange turn.
9.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://cgi.ebay.com/Real-MOOSE-POOP-doo-doo-nugget-NECKLACE-jewelry-WEIRD_W0QQitemZ300389900837QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f0a22225
Im more scared of the fact that they have 10 available?
23.gif
Who''s havesting moose poo to polish?(and wouldn''t that kinda stink??)

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 10:03:26 PM
Author: Arcadian

Im more scared of the fact that they have 10 available?
23.gif
Who''s havesting moose poo to polish?(and wouldn''t that kinda stink??)

-A
Arcadian - you leave in MA, which is close to Maine. I have made many trips to Maine in my time. THEY ARE NOT GOING BONKERS! EVEN IN WINTERTIME! Please suppot me, I just feel bad for my ex-neighbors.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
The myth busters episode is available on-line...kinda interesting! The idea for their solution came from a guy who polished a ball of dirt in his hands and it took three days for them to work on their ostrich and lion "gems".

Laura

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wonder if they would cut one of those in a cushion cut? Might have to get one of them for my MIL for her birthday...it suits her haha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results