shape
carat
color
clarity

Next move? Over graded

dad

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the replies... I agree that the vendor is being reasonable and that I do not want to press my luck. Having said that, it seems like people on the forum recommend shooting for a potentially better diamond. Because this is the case, I wrote a sensitive note to the vendor to ask if there might be any other candidates for the swap. Specifically, here is what I said:

"Thanks for sending the certifications, I appreciate you selecting a few diamonds to choose from. I have had a chance to look at the diamonds via the certifications and I think we are close! I really like the 1.55 (G, SI1). In addition, I liked the 1.52 diamond (G, SI1). The only concerns I have with the 1.55 carat diamond are that the crown angle is a bit low and the pavillion angle is a bit high. This is what makes the 1.52 carat diamond appealing - however, the concern I have with this diamond is the lack of a 3X cut. Having said that, I was wondering if you might have any options that combine the characteristics of the two? Thanks for your consideration!"

I feel like if the vendor doesn't want to select more diamonds, he can say so and I can choose between the two mentioned here (they are cert 2 and 3, btw). If these are the three diamonds from which I must select, I will do so and I will be more than happy about the exchange. Still, based on the feedback I received today, I wanted to at least ask about other diamonds. In regards to my reading of the interaction so far, I don't think asking about other diamonds in the manner described above oversteps the boundaries of our relationship. Then again, I could be wrong. I'll keep you posted.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dad|1463705540|4033782 said:
Thanks for all of the replies... I agree that the vendor is being reasonable and that I do not want to press my luck. Having said that, it seems like people on the forum recommend shooting for a potentially better diamond. Because this is the case, I wrote a sensitive note to the vendor to ask if there might be any other candidates for the swap. Specifically, here is what I said:

"Thanks for sending the certifications, I appreciate you selecting a few diamonds to choose from. I have had a chance to look at the diamonds via the certifications and I think we are close! I really like the 1.55 (G, SI1). In addition, I liked the 1.52 diamond (G, SI1). The only concerns I have with the 1.55 carat diamond are that the crown angle is a bit low and the pavillion angle is a bit high. This is what makes the 1.52 carat diamond appealing - however, the concern I have with this diamond is the lack of a 3X cut. Having said that, I was wondering if you might have any options that combine the characteristics of the two? Thanks for your consideration!"

I feel like if the vendor doesn't want to select more diamonds, he can say so and I can choose between the two mentioned here (they are cert 2 and 3, btw). If these are the three diamonds from which I must select, I will do so and I will be more than happy about the exchange. Still, based on the feedback I received today, I wanted to at least ask about other diamonds. In regards to my reading of the interaction so far, I don't think asking about other diamonds in the manner described above oversteps the boundaries of our relationship. Then again, I could be wrong. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like you are handling this transaction with your vendor in a very understanding and sensitive manner indeed - I look forward to the response! It's so nice to hear a positive story from a new poster about a PS-unknown vendor, I'm really enjoying this ::)

As you and Bryan have already noted, even if these are the final options you have two very promising stones to choose from and both are HUGE improvements over your current! You will be blown away :sun:

dad

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Yssie!

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
One of they very good cut stone has a small culet (as opposed to none or pointed). It also has extremely thin to slightly thick girdle (which is what gives it the VG cut).

In the world outside PS Excellent cut stones have better value over VG cut stone and HCA scores or IS images play a very small role (if any, mind you) on valuation of stones.

I do think the vendor is doing right thing by you and going from 2.11ct J I2 to 1.55 G SI1 is a big step in the right direction.

If i were you, while I'll try and push my vendor for a better stone, if he's unable to do it I'll be pretty happy with the Excellent cut G SI1 stone.

At the end of the day YOU are in a position you need to come out of winner with a nice looking diamond that is valuable universally and protect your spendings.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the formulation of the sentence.

Of course on PS Excellent have better value too. But even in this particular situation when VG has apparently better numbers than the Excellent, my advice would be to stick to Excellent cut if you don't have anymore options.

dad

Rough_Rock
Okay... we are down to just two. I am attaching the certs here again for those of you who have not seen the certifications yet.

I spoke to the vendor and these are the diamonds I am going to choose from. I don't think there are others I can get for options.

Cert 2 looks better on paper. It is slightly bigger and has a better cut than Cert 3. The vendor sent the stones to me (physically) and when I looked at them without any magnification they both look "eye clean." Then again, that is eye clean for me - a total noob who doesn't know what to look for.

Went ahead an bought a 10x loupe to take a closer look. Cert 2 has easily detectable inclusions (remember, I am a noob). Looks like they are more noticeable than even the cert shows. As for Cert 3, I can't really find any inclusions at all.

So... the bottom line is I need your help for a final decision. Y'all think I should pull the trigger on Cert 2 or 3? I am not looking to resell this. Just to wear and enjoy and to think about love.

Thanks for your consideration.

Attachments

• cert2__hca_2.pdf
    726.7 KB · Views: 82
  • cert3_hca_1.pdf
    737.4 KB · Views: 78

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
You have seen both stone with your own eyes.

One passes the HCA test. And the other fails. What do you see?

You've seen both the stones naked eyes. Eye clean is eye clean. You don't have to be an expert at this. That's the whole point of eye cleanliness.

You're able to see inclusions on one of them easy. Clean the diamond and try again. Can you still see it? It's probably that sizable crystal on the table.

In terms of value - both stones will be similarly priced. One because of VG cut grade other because of fluorescence.

Cert 3 has better proportions. The likely reason this stone gets VG grade is because of the girdle thickness variation.

Compare both the diamonds side by side. Face up and through the Pavilion. Which one do YOU like better?

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Which one is more pleasing to your eye (making sure they are both clean)? I would choose the one that sparkles more.

However if choosing based on the certificate alone, I would choose a GIA triple excellent over triple very good.

Let us know how you go.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
Personally I would go with any GIA 3ex over 3vg every singe time. It's just a better choice. Don't put too mu ch emphasis on the HCA tool, it puts a lot of emphasis on shallower diamonds and not everyone prefers that. It's a good tool but it is an opinion, just as GIA gradings are opinions. So don't throw out a nice GIA 3ex diamond based on a higher HCA score than what is recommended. I prefer a lot of diamonds that are not in recommended HCA range.

That said, 60/60 diamonds, essentially what the 3vg is, can be stunning or horrible. There doesn't seem to be anything in the middle there. So it's possible it could be a very nice diamond even though scored with 3vg. However, so many diamonds can qualify for GIA excellent cut that it's hard for me to recommend anyone buy a vg cut. However I have seen some pretty ones.

I think the only thing you can do here is choose which one looks better to you in person. View them in different lights and tilt them very different ways to decide. Move them around a lot, look for weird patterns or darkness.

Good luck.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Also while HCA scores can be helpful in eliminating some poor diamonds - it's only upto the personal level and not industry. Nobody is going to pay you a penny more for a diamond that scores well on the HCA over a GIA graded Excellent diamond (keeping other things the same). Most of the people haven't even heard of HCA. That's the reality.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results