carat
color
clarity

Newfie Puppy

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love those snow pictures @AGBF!

Thank you. One person who saw them said that they frightened her and she was glad she lived where it didn't snow and that she didn't have a Newfoundland because if she ever saw her dog buried under the snow the way Griffin allowed himself to be, she would have a heart attack. :))

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
That pic was at a pee pee stop halfway (about a 2.5 hour tip). I can already tell that he’s going to be chilled out and less than 24 hours in, he’s responding to his name (or at least our voices). His name is Teddy! Probably a common Newfie name but I love it anyway.

At the halfway point, we put out a water bowl for him and as you may have predicted, he splashed in it a bit!

I have two other dogs - the really crazy one is fine with Teddy( he’s like a skittish house cat inside and loves other dogs; treats can be a problem but we have a system for that). Our shepherd mix isn’t as sold in general but she’ll get there. We’re already in love even though we know the work ahead through the puppy stage.
I think Teddy is a PERFECT name @eapj!! He is gorgeous! The stories of the drool are SO true! LOL It's much like my SIL's Great Danes....they're drool factories, and love to put their feet and butts in the water. THEN shake! :lol: We dress differently when we go visit. :lol-2: Try to get him used to deshedding early, as that will help you in the future.

They are water dogs, Patty. Only they and Portuguese water dogs have webbed feet for swimming. They are enormously strong swimmers. The webbed feet help them to push through the water as if they had on flippers or were ducks. They also have an enormous lung capacity, which gives them a very low bark. The lung capacity is for swimming. Their mouths are configured to repel ocean waves.

Newfies were not bred only for water rescue; they were bred to help haul in the fishing nets on boats. They are classified as working dogs and they love to work. They do, however, have a natural lifeguarding instinct that was either bred into them or developed over their years on and around boats. Sometimes they object to their owners trying to jump off a diving board or to enter a pool in any manner. There are videos on YouTube of Newfies crossing in the paths of their owners in an attempt to block a dive. There are also videos of them attempting to drag their owners out of the pool by their upper arms.

Newfies have been used for water rescue, including being trained to jump out of helicopters. This program was started in Italy and the dogs were incorporated into The Coast Guard after proving themselves to a very skeptical Italian military.

There are videos showing all of this, plus Newfies pulling boats full of people (their strength is enormous) on YouTube. I know where the videos are and if anyone would like me to post any, just ask.
@AGBF I saw some of those videos when we were studying breeds in grooming school. I had no idea how strong and rugged Newfies were before that. Having lived in Miami most of my life, I never saw one in person. They're just gorgeous and SOOO sweet. Everything you posted is true and is part of Newfie's AKC description. Wonderful babies! I'm sorry you lost Griffin....that must have been awfully painful.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, Teddy is so handsome!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is adorable. I love it when dogs lie on their backs like that. Pricescope has shown me that cats do it, too. Owners have their own names for this positions. My husband and I always used to call it "chunking". I think it started with the first dog we shared, a Golden Retriever named Brit (short for "Britannia").We would always alert each other if Brit was "chinking" on her back so that the other wouldn't miss it because it was so cute!

Absolutely adorable. Tell Teddy to keep that tummy showing!

Deb :wavey:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As Requested :)

Oooo, that first picture - he's mastering the doggy voodoo "pwease?" look at a very early age! You're gonna be in so much trouble! ;)2

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is gorgeous!!! And he looks soooo sweet!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Sooo cute!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is really beautiful. What breeder did you get him from?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He is really beautiful. What breeder did you get him from?

Thanks! A pet breeder called Heinrich Family Newfoundlands. It’s not a fancy operations but they are nice people who love their dogs, get all of the clearances, etc. AKC registered, etc. I love the temperament of the dogs they have and if they look good, that’s a bonus!

I told my husband about you calling your current dog the terrorist. It fits our female shepherd/terrier/lab/who knows what mix so we’ll he’s stolen the term! She’s a pain in general and still doesn’t like this sweet Newfie (no fights, she just doesn’t enjoy having him around). Our other dog is ambivalent about him. In both cases, this is what we expected! They all get lots of attention and supervised time together but plenty of alone time, too.

I may be hooked on Newfies, though. ;-)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results