shape
carat
color
clarity

Newfie Puppy

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Calling @AGBF - thanks for offering to share info!

A male Newfoundland pup is coming to join our family in about two weeks. I’m a rescue dog gal (I’ve had 4 in total in pairs of 2; the Newfie is joining the 2 we have now). I grew up with various breeds and my adult siblings all have dogs of all kinds; we’re a dog family for sure. The two we have now are 8 (female, probably shepherd mix but who knows) and 9 (Coonhound mix). They’re not the easiest dogs I’ve known but they’re pretty chilled out now and we know their quirks. I love them.

My husband is already upset about them passing away so he wanted a transition dog. He’s always wanted a Newfie and here we are (or will soon be). I’m pro-rescue for me (no judgment for others - honest!) but here I am going downtown the breeder road. We’ve been approved through a few rescues for a few years and none have come up (or we weren’t first in line, maybe). I wanted to wait until my guys left us but I’ll do anything for my husband so three dogs well have. I’m hoping this Newfie will be typical of the breed and chilled out.

Any Newfoundland advice/info appreciated!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so very happy to see this thread, eapj. I have been longing to find out more about the Newfie puppy you are going to be bringing home. I can guarantee that you will be in for a lot of work and a great many laughs. Newfies are all unbelievably lovable, but they make huge messes. I am sure you have been warned about this. You could clean all day and still never have a clean house if you had a Newfie living with you.Usually when one is considering the breed he is warned about the mess they make right off the bat. Not only are they incapable of drinking water without flooding the house, but they drool and their drool flies huge distances. You will find it 20 feet from where the dog shook his (massive) head. It will be on the walls and on the ceiling and it will have his (black) Newfie hair in it. So you will be finding little curls of black Newfie fur plastered to your walls and ceiling everywhere and it will become a new condiment that you have with all your meals.

I know you saw some videos of Newfies "drinking" water when I wanted to make mrs-b smile. They often put their paws into the water dish and splash it when they are young. Sometimes they put their heads in the water dish. Sometimes they sit in it. When I brought my (late) Newfie home from Cape Cod to Connecticut I put him in the back of my Jeep with a big water dish. He sat in it. That was my introduction to the water dish relationship.

Here is one early photo of my dog, Griffin. He is from the Mooncusser* line of Newfoundland dogs.

*http://mooncussernewfoundlands.com/pages/Griffin.html

GriffinInTheSnow.JPG

Last edited:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@AGBF, Griffin was such a handsome boy! I’m so sorry for your loss. Loosing a furry friend is never easy.

I have been warned about the mess and it’s good to hear this confirmed. I’m not obsessed with a perfect house although I’m sure the mess will be eye opening! I’ve had prolific shedders in the past but no slobberers. My current mail dog is a drooler when he’s begging but I know it’s not it the same ballpark.

The water thing - it sounds like it will be funny and a mess. I’ll be sure to have multiple towels nearby!

Q

Queenie60

@eapj - I am excited for you. And I understand the feelings of your husband, having a younger dog when the others pass can help with the heartache. This is one of the reasons I am bringing a pup home next week, it will be much easier on my heart when my little guy leaves me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The water thing - it sounds like it will be funny and a mess. I’ll be sure to have multiple towels nearby!

It's funny how quickly you forget! I have had my current "rescue" dog since July 14, 2018. I had already forgotten that when we had Griffin I had stacks of white terrycloth towels that I laundered constantly. I am talking about stacks under tables and stacks near the front door and the washing machine always going. When we adopted Hero, I needed one or two "dog" towels in the house instead of (literally) 100.And I only have to wash one of those every few weeks unless we have heavy rain and mud!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Patty, your sister's dogs are really beautiful! I would give anything to be able to have two or three Newfies at once. One has to have the room and the ability for them to get enough exercise, though. I don't think I could handle walking a young Newfie now. By the time Griffin got older, I could handle him, but when he was younger, if he pulled either he went off on his own or I was dragged. Despite obedience training. (I know if he had had enough he could have been trained to perfection, but he was not.) At any rate, your sister's dogs are fabulous.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@pattie oooh I wanna hug them! Are they as soft as they look?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Patty, your sister's dogs are really beautiful! I would give anything to be able to have two or three Newfies at once. One has to have the room and the ability for them to get enough exercise, though. I don't think I could handle walking a young Newfie now. By the time Griffin got older, I could handle him, but when he was younger, if he pulled either he went off on his own or I was dragged. Despite obedience training. (I know if he had had enough he could have been trained to perfection, but he was not.) At any rate, your sister's dogs are fabulous.

Yes, they do require a lot of time and room. My sister got their third when their oldest dog was pretty disabled with arthritis so she has only ever had two walking dogs at a time. The third was a rescue and a lot of people applied to adopt it. I think their experience with Newfies helped them get that dog. She and her husband are very active and do walk them a lot, but not at the same time. My sister’s hand was injured once when one of the dogs pulled. But now they are down to one who is not a year old yet And she definitely keeps them busy!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
F3D7DBCB-33C2-4F62-850C-660AF8EA5660.jpeg
Correction...there was a time when they walked all three at once. I usually just see their dogs when our family vacations on Lake Michigan. You’re right about Newfies and water, @AGBF. Their dogs have always loved swimming in the lake. I think they were bred as water rescue dogs, weren’t they? Once I stayed at my sister’s house and when I tried to get in the tub, I had to climb over two dogs. My sister said that they were the lifeguards.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg!!!! If that isn't living the dream I don't know what is!!!

I have wanted a Newfie for years but they are very hard to come by in Australia. Also realistically I'm not sure how we'd manage the mess so we ended up with golden retrievers instead.

But I'm so in awe and envious of anyone who has had this life experience of owning a Newfie!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are water dogs, Patty. Only they and Portuguese water dogs have webbed feet for swimming. They are enormously strong swimmers. The webbed feet help them to push through the water as if they had on flippers or were ducks. They also have an enormous lung capacity, which gives them a very low bark. The lung capacity is for swimming. Their mouths are configured to repel ocean waves.

Newfies were not bred only for water rescue; they were bred to help haul in the fishing nets on boats. They are classified as working dogs and they love to work. They do, however, have a natural lifeguarding instinct that was either bred into them or developed over their years on and around boats. Sometimes they object to their owners trying to jump off a diving board or to enter a pool in any manner. There are videos on YouTube of Newfies crossing in the paths of their owners in an attempt to block a dive. There are also videos of them attempting to drag their owners out of the pool by their upper arms.

Newfies have been used for water rescue, including being trained to jump out of helicopters. This program was started in Italy and the dogs were incorporated into The Coast Guard after proving themselves to a very skeptical Italian military.

There are videos showing all of this, plus Newfies pulling boats full of people (their strength is enormous) on YouTube. I know where the videos are and if anyone would like me to post any, just ask.

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

F3D7DBCB-33C2-4F62-850C-660AF8EA5660.jpeg
Correction...there was a time when they walked all three at once. I usually just see their dogs when our family vacations on Lake Michigan. You’re right about Newfies and water, @AGBF. Their dogs have always loved swimming in the lake. I think they were bred as water rescue dogs, weren’t they? Once I stayed at my sister’s house and when I tried to get in the tub, I had to climb over two dogs. My sister said that they were the lifeguards.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg!!!! If that isn't living the dream I don't know what is!!!

I have wanted a Newfie for years but they are very hard to come by in Australia. Also realistically I'm not sure how we'd manage the mess so we ended up with golden retrievers instead.

But I'm so in awe and envious of anyone who has had this life experience of owning a Newfie!!!

Australia may be too hot for them. They love the cold. When we first brought Griffin home he refused to come inside for three nights. We had always had pets we kept indoors. He insisted he stay outside. It was January, which is winter here. It was 17 or 19 degrees Fahrenheit, I have forgotten which. He loved it. Eventually he came in. :))

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! Can't way to see pics when your new pup arrives and becomes part of the family. :) Personally I find 3 dogs no harder than 2 dogs and we walk our dogs for at least a mile every day. The biggest challenge is getting them all to behave on a walk and not be leash reactive. One leash reactive dog will turn the other dogs leash reactive. But besides that- no other real issues with having a third dog.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LisaRN that’s kind of a relief to hear!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is he home? You didn't specify whether he is home or if the photo was taken by the breeder. I am hoping he is home. Did you already tell us his name? I will have to go back in the thread to look. He looks like a little black bear, which is good. Newfie puppies should! Too cute for words. Congratulations!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I saw from the first post in this thread that today is the day your Newfie was supposed to come home. Happy Father's Day to your dh!

I do not see the name you chose for your new guy anywhere in the thread. Did you chose one already or were you waiting to see what your puppy was like?

Information and photos welcome!

Deb :wavey:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Oh oh oh my goodness! What an adorable little fluffy bear!
Please give him hugs and pets from me!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He's adorable! I am up with my pup at 5 am daily. Sleep deprivation. I am sure that having two others will help. Congratulations.

This guy didn’t love the crate last night and we’re both so tired. But we try again tonight!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, I saw from the first post in this thread that today is the day your Newfie was supposed to come home. Happy Father's Day to your dh!

I do not see the name you chose for your new guy anywhere in the thread. Did you chose one already or were you waiting to see what your puppy was like?

Information and photos welcome!

Deb :wavey:

That pic was at a pee pee stop halfway (about a 2.5 hour tip). I can already tell that he’s going to be chilled out and less than 24 hours in, he’s responding to his name (or at least our voices). His name is Teddy! Probably a common Newfie name but I love it anyway.

At the halfway point, we put out a water bowl for him and as you May have predicted, he splashed in it a bit!

I have two other dogs - the really crazy one is fine with Teddy( he’s like a skittish house cat inside and loves other dogs; treats can be a problem but we have a system for that). Our shepherd mix isn’t as sold in general but she’ll get there. We’re already in love even though we know the work ahead through the puppy stage.

Attachments

• 205EA1C5-0DBD-4B4F-B392-159A8109C17D.jpeg
    205EA1C5-0DBD-4B4F-B392-159A8109C17D.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 35

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2: Absolutely gorgeous! One of our friends has a Newfie called Ursa, gentle giant and one of the few dogs our Dottie wasn’t scared of.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Austina, your friends must have taken Latin. Like "Teddy", "Bear" is a very common Newfie name. Sometimes when my Newfie got loose in the neighborhood, people who didn't know him started reporting that there was a bear loose. ;))

Newfies love the cold. Sometimes Griffin would climb up onto a huge snow bank and lie down on his back as if he were lying in front of the fireplace, his legs open to invite the the nice cool breezes in.

Sometimes he fell asleep during a snowstorm. In this series of three photos I show that he was asleep. I deliberately woke him up to make him get up. That way I could show him getting up and letting you see there was a dog under that snow. He would have been perfectly happy to have been left there to sleep.

Newfies are great fun.

march202015c.jpg _38683.jpg march202015a.jpg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is soooooooo cute!!!! I adore puppies. Not sure anything can make my heart smile as a pup can! He's beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results