shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for help with sapphire e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''ve been lurking around this forum for a month or two, trying to figure out my plan of attack for a sapphire e-ring. I''ve come across several examples on this site I''ve really liked:

#1a (really like this setting!)

#2 (this is my favorite--I wish I could remember where I found it on this site. If anyone has an idea let me know)

#3a

I really like the concave cut, but it appears all the concave cuts (at least Homer''s) are heat treated. I would like to find an untreated sapphire. I''m not married to the concave cut, but it''s so far the most appealing to me.

I''ve found a few sites (NSC, Dan Stairs, Wink Jones, Wildfish) and have found some interesting stones. I was wondering if there were any particular places I should go (the listing of colored stone dealers is so long!), and if anyone knows of any reputable places in the northeast I could get to (I live in Boston, MA).

What other cuts should I think about? What kind of size is ideal? She''s pretty tall (just under 6ft). I''m planning on spending 4-7k. Is this a realistic budget for an untreated stone?

Also, sidestones? I wasn''t considering any, but the two above (linked) look so nice, that I wouldn''t necessarily mind sidestones, but it''s not something I''m actively pursuing.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should contact Richard Homer and ask him if he will cut an unheated stone for you.

In fact, it is always a good idea to contact vendors, because a lot of nice stones never get on the site.

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
Thanks--I actually have emailed Homer (and a few others on other sites). Hoping to get some responses soon!

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
First off, make sure your FF is cool with a colored stone e-ring. Some girls are uber-traditional and have to have diamonds. Secondly, you need to make sure she likes the concave cut stones if that''s an avenue you''re considering. Some people really don''t like that cut and some are crazy about it. Absolutely contact the vendors listed when you narrow it down a bit to see what they can come up with. They can source exactly what you''re looking for and most of them are super friendly. With your budget I''m absolutely sure you can come up with a gorgeous untreated ring that your FF will love!
1.gif

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
I''m certain she''ll love the sapphire, being her birthstone. And she''s not crazy about diamonds, and usually doesn''t like conventional e-ring, so I think she''ll be happy.

Dan Stairs just emailed me back and he has been super-nice. One good question he asked me is if I have a setting in mind. I don''t, as I hadn''t exactly thought that far ahead.

So, advice on how to go about finding a setting would be appreciated. While I obviously have more choices with the web for getting the right stone, my plan was to get a stone and then find a setting for it in a B&M store around here. Should I consider getting a setting off ebay or another site, then having a local jeweler put the two together?

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 3:05:39 PM
Author: Rizajj
I''m certain she''ll love the sapphire, being her birthstone. And she''s not crazy about diamonds, and usually doesn''t like conventional e-ring, so I think she''ll be happy.

Dan Stairs just emailed me back and he has been super-nice. One good question he asked me is if I have a setting in mind. I don''t, as I hadn''t exactly thought that far ahead.

So, advice on how to go about finding a setting would be appreciated. While I obviously have more choices with the web for getting the right stone, my plan was to get a stone and then find a setting for it in a B&M store around here. Should I consider getting a setting off ebay or another site, then having a local jeweler put the two together?

One of the things to think about when considering settings is that most settings I''ve seen are "calibrated" in terms of the size diamonds they can hold. Since colored stones that are the same carat weight as a diamond equivalent aren''t usually the same size (mm wise), you just need to make sure you know what the setting can accommodate in terms of measurements.

There''s always the custom option too...good luck!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would not want an e-ring setting from ebay... ebay can be great for "fun" rings, but it''s too risky for something as meaningful as an e-ring IMHO (you might want to read up about LOGR settings here in "colored stones" - some have had great experiences with these settings, others not so much).

If I were you, I''d start looking around at settings at your local (not mall/chain) B&Ms so you can get a feel for what you like. Often what you thought you liked in the beginning is very different from what you end up with, therefore I think it''s important to figure out what options are out there (also, I think custom is an option in your budget range). Looking around at settings will also help to determine what size/shape sapphire you''ll want. Ultimately you may choose to go with a reputable online vendor for the setting, but I think looking at settings in person is invaluable when you are this early in the process.

What is your FF''s finger size? (Her height/build doesn''t give any indication for finger coverage.)

Is your FF going to be involved at all in the ring-shopping process or are you doing this alone?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 3:05:39 PM

Please don''t get a setting off ebay. Just too risky and there are a LOT of bad quality settings around here. Dan asked you about a setting because he can custom cut a stone for you to fit it. The other option is to have a stone cut and then find a setting for it, which would work in your case since you aren''t married to one particular setting.

I would have a look at Pearlman''s Jewelers for settings, they have a TON:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
ok I wont be getting a setting off ebay! At least that''s squared away.

FF is not shopping with me, I would like to surprise her. Makes it a lot harder for me!

Richard Homer wrote back and was very nice but basically told me he doesn''t deal with untreated stones because he doesn''t feel that they are a good value, since the market is skewed. I''m a little torn myself, to be honest with you.

Okay, I did some more searching through this forum and found this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgraded-sapphire-ring.86101/

I really really like this setting and sapphire. It''s very close to what I had imagined. How do I go about finding out where she got it? I can''t figure out how to PM her.

thanks again everyone!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 5:03:56 PM

FF is not shopping with me, I would like to surprise her. Makes it a lot harder for me!

Richard Homer wrote back and was very nice but basically told me he doesn''t deal with untreated stones because he doesn''t feel that they are a good value, since the market is skewed. I''m a little torn myself, to be honest with you.

I really really like this setting and sapphire. It''s very close to what I had imagined. How do I go about finding out where she got it? I can''t figure out how to PM her.

thanks again everyone!

There are no PM''s here but I believe Marcy usually shops at a few local stores in Wyoming if I am remembering correctly. It''s something you can replicate very easily though.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I think Marcyc buys most of her stuff from a local jeweler. There''s no PMing here, but you can bump her recent thread and ask her, or start a new thread with her name in the title.

This chart is useful in talking with jewelers about exactly what blue you''re looking for. I know that Katrina Mattei in Brookline has worked with Dan Stair''s stones before and Persona Jewelry in Kenmore has some cool custom stuff.

There are some nice vendors in the Jewelers building too, but I don''t recall the names of any of them
38.gif
so maybe Alj or someone will see this and chime in.

The stone is a lovely color, good luck in your search!

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 5:03:56 PM

thanks again everyone!
Like neatfreak said, there''s no PMing on this site, but I have seen others create a brand new thread and say "so and so [the person''s username], I have some questions about your sapphire ring" or smoething as the subject and the person will (hopefully) see it and reply. I hope that helps you?

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Rizajj:

I've spent quite a bit of time researching for my e-ring (no, have not yet found it). I have tried on a lot of rings and have narrowed my setting preference, but I still have an open mind. I am in search of the stone first and have decided to look at oval or cushion shaped sapphires. I guess knowing your setting preference, budget, etc. will dictate the shape, size, etc. of the sapphire.

It seems that you prefer the three-stone ring design with sapphire as the center stone and diamonds on the sides. With regard to the shape of the sapphire, it seems that you've selected sample rings on PS which have round sapphires. I considered a round sapphire shape, but I felt that it took too much of the sapphire away, and you'll end up with less carat weight. But, again, if round is your preference, then this would not matter. I would think that to find an untreated round sapphire would be quite challenging. You may have to get it (cushion or oval shape) re-cut to round. Jeff White does have some round sapphires on his site (whitesgems.com), and you might consider one of those and use one of Whiteflash's three-stone settings. You could also have Whiteflash do a custom, by providing them pics of some PS rings you preferred.

I used to live in Boston and have found Dorfman Jewelers on Newbury street to be well regarded. Isn't there also a Bailey, Banks & Biddle in the Back Bay? But you'll find that you would probably spend less by going the Jeff White/Whiteflash route and get the ring of your and GF/FI's dream.

There are quite a number of PS vendors from whom we could purchase sapphires -- heated/treated or not. I can share with you my short list:

Barry of http://www.acstones.com
Gary Dutton of www.diamondexpert.com
Jeff White of www.whitesgems.com
Wink of www.winkjones.com
Stephen of thenaturalsapphirecompany.com (NYC)
Richard or Reginald Miller (Reginald Miller is wholesale cutter for important stones) of www.cherrypicked.com (NYC)
Wildfishgems.com

There have been good experiences with other vendors on the long list, but my limited research has made me narrow the field to the above list. Note: My research is limited, because there is only so much time in the day for work and when my bf says, "can we please put this to rest for the night?!".
2.gif

Happy hunting! And Happy Turkey Day!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I don''t have a problem with low heat in sapphires - it will help your budget and give you a wider selection of stones.

Concave cut is a very particular style - some people love it, others do not (I''m in the latter category). Please be very sure that your girlfriend is a fan of concave cuts.

Definitely talk to vendors - I buy from Richard M at www.artcutgems and Wink Jones at www.winkjones.com and have always been very happy. I don''t tend to get stones that are on their sites - I let them know what I''m after and they often have them or know someone who does.

If you buy the stone first, you may end up needing a custom setting, so might be an idea to either buy a calibrated stone, or find the setting first.

If your budget is 7k total, you might want to try to avoid going custom (especially if you want platinum).

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
Wow, I can''t thank you guys enough for all this information (esp the Boston area info that a couple of you provided!).

I''m pretty sure I will be going the custom-cut route, but am not totally sure yet. Anyway, I will of course keep you all apprised. I''ve got a lot of homework to do still!

thanks again!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
How about getting in touch with Jeff White? whitesgems.com He cuts sapphires and has done work for lots of us. He has an untreated sapphire on his site right now, so I''m assuming that he doesn''t mind doing it. He is also extremely nice. I''ve worked with him before and was thrilled with the result, and I''m working with him on a new project now.

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
I did contact Jeff White and he has a few untreated stones there right now. I am hoping to hear some pricing from him soon!

thanks again everyone.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rizajj,
this is a little different than what you''ve been looking at, but it looks to be similar in color to what you like. Signed Pieces three stone 4K.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hi there Rizajj

First of all I want to tell you I think that it''s great that you want to plan this wonderful surprise for your girlfriend (FF). I''m always super impressed by men who do this and even more impressed with those guys who have found their way to this site and ask for advice. I''m sure whatever you decide upon, your lady will be thrilled and delighted with the thought you have put into this project.

All the advice you have received so far has been "top drawer" and comes from people with loads of knowledge and experience in gems.

I have a couple of suggestions. So far, you seem to be focussing on round stones. You mention that your lady is quite tall. Does she have "tall" fingers? If so, maybe an oval would nice and would accentuate her hand. Has she expressed a preference for a round centre stone or is this something that you have thought about on your own?

Maybe a cushion is also a shape to consider if you are not completely sold on a round stone.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Good luck with your project.

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Again, I can''t thank everyone enough for the great advice I have been given so far. It has certainly informed a lot of my thought process thus far. "Top drawer advice" indeed!

Gailey, I have thought about an oval or cushion cut, and it might suit her fingers a little better, but I''m sort of sold on the round cut myself. I dont think it would be detrimental, at least. Anyway the link that Mercoledi provided (thank you!) had an oval cut in it and I actually liked it. So I don''t know.....

Okay, so I would like some input/advice on the following settings and stones:
-------
Settings:
1) SignedPieces

2) PS Forums
2a) PS Forums

3) PS Forums #2

4) PS Forums #3 (marcyc''s)

Stones:
Here are a few stones I am seriously considering:

NSC #1
NSC #2
Montana

The Montana sapphire is the real wildcard here. I can''t tell how "blue" it is. I wasn''t into it at first, but after discussing with my sister, it might be more appropriate given that it might match my FF''s eyes better (which are green with a bluish tint). Anyway I am not sure how it would look in a 3 stone setting like the ones above. Thoughts?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hey, that Signed Pieces ring is on special today for $2495!!! I would grab that in a second
30.gif

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
That deal is gone now! http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/39.gif
Insert smilie
39.gif

Anyway, though that would have been a great deal, it wasn''t an untreated stone like I am looking for. Actually it comes with no paperwork I think so there''s no telling what has happened to it.

Well I am leaning more towards the Montana stone. Any more thoughts on that one?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
On my screen the WFG Montana blue isn't really the same blue as what marcyc's kentucky blues are (Shane co Kenttucky blue ring), it's more teal. Do you prefer the teal color?

This blue untreated sapph is sold, but is closer in color to me; you could always contact Barry and see if he has/can get similar rough. It was also half the price of the WFG stone.

ETA: 1.89 ct three stone.

Rizajj

Rough_Rock
oh I know that the Montana stone is nothing quite like marcyc''s Kentucky blue from Shane Co, but I was just thinking of taking this thing in a whole ''nother direction. I wanted to see what people would think of a Montana stone that is arctic blue/teal in a 3 stone setting.

That sold Tanzanian stone is nice. I will definitely contact Barry to see if he has anything like it.

thanks mercoledi!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
The Montana is a pretty color, but personally I'd rather have a blue/green spinel or tourmaline for much less $$. I'll have to poke around to see if the price on that is competitive. It is very similar to the ring you link to in your first post as your favorite.

Link to Cross sapphire rings. They're in Portland, but it's a fun trip up there for jewelery and dinner.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This stone looks to be of similar rough to the ACS BB stone. It has a color change from purple to blue-green. Sounds like a very cool stone. Also Pala gems just got a load of Montana sapphires. I believe that Wink can source through them.

Options, options, options!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2008 4:50:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Again, I can''t thank everyone enough for the great advice I have been given so far. It has certainly informed a lot of my thought process thus far. ''Top drawer advice'' indeed!

Gailey, I have thought about an oval or cushion cut, and it might suit her fingers a little better, but I''m sort of sold on the round cut myself. I dont think it would be detrimental, at least. Anyway the link that Mercoledi provided (thank you!) had an oval cut in it and I actually liked it. So I don''t know.....

Okay, so I would like some input/advice on the following settings and stones:
-------
Settings:
1) SignedPieces

2) PS Forums
2a) PS Forums

3) PS Forums #2

4) PS Forums #3 (marcyc''s)

Stones:
Here are a few stones I am seriously considering:

NSC #1
NSC #2
Montana

The Montana sapphire is the real wildcard here. I can''t tell how ''blue'' it is. I wasn''t into it at first, but after discussing with my sister, it might be more appropriate given that it might match my FF''s eyes better (which are green with a bluish tint). Anyway I am not sure how it would look in a 3 stone setting like the ones above. Thoughts?
NSC #1 is my fav of the three above.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 3:52:51 PM
Author: geckodani
Okay... you mentioned taking it another direction, and I just wanted to point out a few beauties that I've been drooling over!

Gene has a STUNNING Purple Sapphire on his site:

http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Sapphire.html

There's also an oval blue spinel that is totally droolworthy:

http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Spinel.html

And Dan Stair does some amazing things with Spinel:

http://customgemstones.com/SPINEL/sp1020.html

http://customgemstones.com/SPINEL/sp1029.html

Which Sapphire is it from Gene? I saw he has new untreated umbra rough.
Linky

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I was looking at Gem 768 on precisiongem, in the sapphire section. Yum!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results