shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie here! Question re: Novo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I stumbled upon this website and I am hooked! I was recently in Tiffany and tried on the Novo. I thought it was really beautiful but of course don''t want my boyfriend to pay that premium. Is this ring a modified brilliant cushion or a brilliant cushion?

Another question about cushions since I have not seen too many (most stores I have been in don''t carry them) - are they always less sparkly than round brilliants? I like round brilliants too but would like something a little more unique.

Thanks so much and sorry for my ignorant questions!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
too funny, I happened to try on a Novo today at Tiffany''s myself and it is stunning indeed. it''s a special cut by Tiffany''s but I think are cushion brilliant would give you the same look. cushions can range in look and I''d suggest contacting Mark t at www.engagementringsdirect.com for cushion info. he seems to have the eye for cushions and being in NY can find the good one''s easier

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sunnygirl,

I also really liked the novo. The novo is actually more of a square H&A cut, so it is very brilliant like a round. Tiff's calls it a cushion I think, but it is much less cushiony and more sqaure H&A IMO. The sales associate also said the same thing about it. It is more brilliant than most regular cushions, but also doesn't have the same cushion look as most if that makes sense. It certainly doesn't look like my cushion brilliant we just bought. It is a patented cut from them, so if you want it exactly you need to buy it from them.

We ended up going with a cushion from Mark @ ERD and the Ritani endless love ring w/o halo. Looks just like the novo but the band is much more delicate. You can get a better stone AND still a stunning setting if you go with Mark.

My ring will be in my BF's hands tomorrow and hopefully in mine shortly after! I will post pics once I get it, so if you're interested in seeing the finished piece, be on the lookout in the next few days.

ETA: Round brilliants are the most sparkly of all diamonds. Cushions are gorgeous, but different, so make sure you like the different look.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
If you want the Novo look without the premium, your best bet BY FAR is Good Old Gold, which carries beautiful Square H&As.

Mark is great to work with for cushions (and I''m biased, as a used him), but I don''t think Square H&A is his forte.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2007 7:51:07 PM
Author: boston_jeff
If you want the Novo look without the premium, your best bet BY FAR is Good Old Gold, which carries beautiful Square H&As.

Mark is great to work with for cushions (and I''m biased, as a used him), but I don''t think Square H&A is his forte.

100% agree with Jeff. Cushion-> Mark, Square H&A-> Good Old Gold

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Novo is still on sale at signed pieces! http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=5626

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
IF I remember the Novo discussion on this board... the Novo is NOT proprietary Tiffany cut... so it is likely that someone else sells the same facetting patern or something substantially similar. I TOTALLY agree with the square hearts and arrows though. Very similar look.

winnie

Rough_Rock
Hi all
mark can get the square cut H & A- it''s just a phone call- mark knows good stones/cutters and his prices are the best...he has gotten all of my friends and family every shape- but he does great cushions but they are popular now so he''s become infamous!

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your helpful posts!

Hmmm, I like the look of both the square H&A and the more cushion-y cushion brilliants. I need to try more on but again it is hard since most stores dont carry cushion cuts. Neatfreak, I cant wait to see your ring!

One thing I have noticed is that most people who are getting cushions are getting big rings (like 2 carats+). Do they not look as good smaller? I want something 1.5 or less because my hands are on the small side and I think it looks better.

Now, I just have to figure out ways to drop subtle (or not-so-subtle) hints.

Neatfreak, do you have a link to your specific Ritani setting?

Thankks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2007 9:26:37 PM
Author: sunnygirl
Thanks everyone for your helpful posts!

Hmmm, I like the look of both the square H&A and the more cushion-y cushion brilliants. I need to try more on but again it is hard since most stores dont carry cushion cuts. Neatfreak, I cant wait to see your ring!

One thing I have noticed is that most people who are getting cushions are getting big rings (like 2 carats+). Do they not look as good smaller? I want something 1.5 or less because my hands are on the small side and I think it looks better.

Now, I just have to figure out ways to drop subtle (or not-so-subtle) hints.

Neatfreak, do you have a link to your specific Ritani setting?

Thankks!

Well you''ll have the chance to see a small one, mine is only .81! There is a thread around here somewhere where someone just got a new .66 Novo... Here it is

The setting I am getting is this one, but there are many others that are similar and also very nice! The pave is a bit smaller than the Novo, but I like that!

Endless Loveghdkd.jpg

la petite amie

Rough_Rock
You''re so right, the novo is just gorgeous. I saw it in the store and I''m absolutely obsessed with it. I''m hoping I will get one soon
1.gif

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
Neatfreak,

Do you happen to have a side view of the Ritani setting? I have noticed that when I don''t like a setting, it is usually because of its side view. I tried looking on the Ritani website but I dont think I found that exact one without a halo.

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure do! Here is a thread from PS with a whole bunch of pics. I know what you mean about the sideview, I actually liked this one, so I knew I had a winner for me. It sits at a nice height too FYI.

Link to Ritani views

Cosmogrrl

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow Novo-lover!!
As someone said in a previous post, I just received a Novo ring less than a month ago!
I agree with pretty much what everyone has said. I don''t believe it is a propriety cut (although I wasn''t there when FI bought it!), so you may be able to get something similar through another vendor. My documents state it is a "Square Cushion" Brilliant Cut. 5.18mm x 5.08m x 3.38mm .61ct F colour VS1
I am in LOVE with it, and I know he could''ve gotten something more inexpensive through a vendor, but there is a very cute story to go along with the ring. You can read it in my original post, someone reposted the link cause I don''t know how to!! It is titled "I''m ENGAGED!!"
So yes, my cushion is quite square, and is very sparkly! I think you would get more sparkle from a round, but this could be the next best thing!!
Good luck with your decision! :)

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the pics of the setting neatfreak! Very beautiful! I can''t wait to see your ering.

Cosmogrrl, your ring is gorgeous! It looks way bigger than 0.61. Can you please please post more pics! I would especially love to see the side view. You are such a lucky girl (for having that ring and for having such a wonderful man!)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
sunny, did you see the 1.5 carat Novo for sale from signedpieces? check out the link about b/c they have pictures of the ring from several angles. it''s gorgeous and I don''t know your budget but it''s a great price for what it is.

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
1.5 carats would be verrry nice. But what about the I color? I was thinking as low as H but not I. The ring size is the same as mine though! It''s a sign!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 8:31:41 PM
1.5 carats would be verrry nice. But what about the I color? I was thinking as low as H but not I. The ring size is the same as mine though! It''s a sign!
I would get it in a heartbeat. In a well cut diamond the color won''t be as visible and plus, if it is your size, the budget fits and it is a Tiffany without the Tiffany markup . . . if you are still concerned. Go to Tiffanys and ask to see an I color novo in 1.5 carats or bigger and look for yourself.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say jump on that Signed Pieces Novo! (It''s easy for me to say that since it''s not my $15,000!)

But seriously, if you like the Novo and that one fits your budget, I would totally go for it! And just an FYI, it looks like SP has a 30 day return policy, so you could always return it if you were unhappy with the color...

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
unfortunately, it is not my decision to make.
7.gif
I just emailed a link to my boyf! How is that for a subtle hint hehe.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 9:05:31 PM
7.gif
I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you. You would be getting a great deal!!!! And it''s your size!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 9:05:31 PM
7.gif

Hahaha...that''s my kind of hint! Seriously, I just made my boyfriend let me pick out the diamond and design the setting...at least I let him pay for it!
28.gif

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
Is it a good deal? I have no way of knowing...The symmetry is only v. good. When I was in Tiffany a little while ago, they didn''t have any I-colored novos. Is Signed Pieces reliable? Eeek!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Mark at ERD is great! I was on a cushion hunt as well--there are SO many variations so you need to look in person. I went with a ''rounded corner'' looking square--most people don''t notice the shape (or at least they don''t say anything) but I love how it''s different but no too trendy

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
Jas,

If that is your ring in your avatar, it is gorgeous!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 1:45:13 AM
Jas,

If that is your ring in your avatar, it is gorgeous!

I agree. Jas, what ever happened with your ring? Did Michael B fix it?

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
so i noticed that the novo on signed pieces was snatched up. Not by my boyfriend! But that is okay, I really would prefer to have at least an H color. I wonder who the lucky winner was!

Also, Cosmogrrl, if you read this, I would LOVE to see more pics of your novo. It is so beautiful!

Cosmogrrl

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 7:00:52 PM
so i noticed that the novo on signed pieces was snatched up. Not by my boyfriend! But that is okay, I really would prefer to have at least an H color. I wonder who the lucky winner was!

Also, Cosmogrrl, if you read this, I would LOVE to see more pics of your novo. It is so beautiful!
Thanks so much!! I have a really crappy camera (as you can see from the original shots), I am trying to figure out whose camera I can borrow to do another shoot! I will keep you posted!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results