shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie here - Fair Price on Estate Pear Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 12/19/2006 1:21:22 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

It sure is purdy! BTW, did you mention that you were having it reset into a pendant? Another variable to consider (potential ''problem''?) given the inclusion.

cheers--Sharon
oh i missed that! i thought it was staying as is.
well...it will be lovely either way but if it is getting reset i would definitely make sure that it is insured...just in case.
2.gif

I like it. A lot. It''s big. LOL.

I would keep it... unless the mind clean thing was going to bug me... then I wouldn''t. But it sounds like its pretty good deal and if you insure it and it comes out of the resetting fine... as a necklace it wouldn''t take the beating it would as a ring.

Points about the insurance well taken - thanks for the advice, Sharon, belle, and Gypsy! Also, good point gypsy about the stone not taking quite the beating as a ring if it''s set in a pendant. Here are some hand shots, even though it''s not going to stay a ring.

PearRingLight5.jpg

Last hand shot. I should have worn a white sweater!

PearRingLight6.jpg

HI:

I like it very much! BTW, may I ask how you came to make the $$ you did? Was the vendor "shocked" given his original price to you?

cheers--Sharon

Hi Sharon. Wasn''t sure I understood the question - you are asking me how I made the deal, right? Here''s the story:

First, I had looked at the ring at least a year ago. The jeweler had the ring on consignment, so he had no money in it - he makes 20% and the rest goes to the owner. So for whatever reason, I guess no one around here wanted a pear.

I watched the Sotheby''s jewelry auctions and used some similar sales to run a comparison. I saw a few pear plat rings with side baguettes that sold. Sotheby''s lists auction results, so I back-figured the per carat price and offered less. I wound up coming up a little, but not much.

I told him I wanted to make it into a pendant and would like him to do this work for me. From there, I stuck to my guns. Emotionally, I had to tell myself I didn''t want it. That was the hardest part.

Do you think it''s a good price? It seems fair to me - it is an estate piece afterall.

HI:

I apologize if my question was cryptic! Thanks for sharing the history, and yes, you answered my question. Good to do your homework--and checking auctions is a neat way to provide buying guidelines (besides the jewellery offered at Christies/Sotheby's usually amazing to look at).

The ring is very lovely and IMHO, I think you did AOK!

cheers--Sharon

Hi Starry,

Thanks for sharing your appraisal session. Enjoy your new "big" diamond!
Once it''s out of the ring...have the diamond weighed before resetting.
It would be a great opportunity to take a closer look, also.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Sharon, pardon my ignorance, but what does IMHO mean? Thanks for the compliments!

Jeff, that''s a good idea to weigh the stone when out of the ring. I''m thinking about sending it to GIA for certification, before making it into a pendant. Any idea of their lead time?

Date: 12/19/2006 8:47:55 PM
Author: starryeyed
Sharon, pardon my ignorance, but what does IMHO mean? Thanks for the compliments!

Jeff, that''s a good idea to weigh the stone when out of the ring. I''m thinking about sending it to GIA for certification, before making it into a pendant. Any idea of their lead time?
IMHO= in my humble opinion

You can call GIA directly.Turnaround times will vary. I had a client drop off three of his own diamonds for grading reports in NY at GIA lab last Monday. Two were done in 4 days.
One is still not done. Their website is www.gia.edu. Consumers can call direct for information. Follow the menu for laboratory services.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP