shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Diamond cloud inclusion help D|SI2|3 Ex

Jonomino

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Very new to the engagement ring thing and forums. Put a deposit down on a diamond based on the assurance from a jeweler that it was of quality.
1.2 Carat, SI2, D, Ex/Ex/Ex None
Comments: Additional clouds not shown. Additional pinpoints not shown.

The diamond is on order so i couldnt see what is actually coming my way in 2 weeks. Should i be concerned by the large cloud inclusion in the centre? I feel like I'm being gipped our of a true D rating cause the position might refract it to be cloudy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20200629-222514_Drive.jpg

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Photos and/or a video of the diamond will help in getting opinions on the inclusions. But have you run the HCA on this diamond? Seems like the specs might not be complimentary.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Cloud right on the table, SI2, in a colorless stone...No thanks.

D refers to color, not clarity, so you are not getting cheated out of the color, but this stone may not be transparent.

Also, "gyp" is an ethnic slur.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures would be very helpful! Personally, I prefer inclusions that aren’t on the table of the diamond, but without pics, it’s hard to even speculate whether it will be eye clean. Have you asked the vendor for pictures or asked if it’s eye clean?
The pavilion and crown angles are both high, so I’m questioning overall performance as well.
Why don’t you go down in color and up in clarity? A G VS2 should appear white and eye clean- an E SI2 will be white, but if any of those inclusions are dark, they’re really going to stand out.

Jonomino

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the quick responses.
I got a 3.5 on that tool, GIA is 6342765368

Unfortunately i don't have picture, got the GIA cert at 10pm after he placed the order so I'm gearing up for a stern conversation tomorrow with the jeweler.

Reactions: AV_

Jonomino

Rough_Rock
Cloud right on the table, SI2, in a colorless stone...No thanks.

D refers to color, not clarity, so you are not getting cheated out of the color, but this stone may not be transparent.

Also, "gyp" is an ethnic slur.

Thanks, and apologies for the phrasing, bad habit inherited from yia yia

anangel

Brilliant_Rock

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry it looks bad isn’t nice. The cloud is very apparent in the pictures and causes the diamond to have a hazy look. Although the majority of the inclusions are not dark, they are very apparent.
Because of the cloudiness, it’s not easy to judge the cut, but there is little contrast and the overall visual is very murky.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh god no wtf, thats horrible, im based in australia. They quoted me on a whole design rather than the stone itself ($16k)

Better you see it now than later!!! If he can’t give you pics, just google the Gia cert numbers. If he doesn’t have the stone, it’s likely to be in someone else’s virtually inventory and may have pictures. Also gives you a better idea for a fair price.
maybe if you gave him some specifics he would be pickier in his search. Do some poking on here, find the PS color, clarity and angle guides and use those to guide your conversation. You don’t have to be mean, but you don’t want to spend money on a project you don’t love.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the quick responses.
I got a 3.5 on that tool, GIA is 6342765368

Unfortunately i don't have picture, got the GIA cert at 10pm after he placed the order so I'm gearing up for a stern conversation tomorrow with the jeweler.

Anything above a 2 on the HCA tool we usually reject cause the angles aren't complimentary and anything below 2 is worth considering with further evaluation.

What is your budget? And preference on color and clarity?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely do not buy this stone. It does not look good and the angles arent complimentary. Can you cancel the order?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
The stone is not soemthing I would consider a great stone. For the money you are spending, I would tell your jeweler thst he needs to try harder.

tell him you googled the certificate number and you found the stone. You tell him that you are not impressed by the stone... the stone is not
Clear- the inclusions are visible and right on the table and in ya face. It is not acceptable.

there is a table on PSwhere the angles are mentions for a fairly good performing stone.

it’s late here in Perth WA. Hopes somebody can find those numbers for you to tell your vendor/ find stones within these proportions..etc,

you out deposit down, so he better work to get the 16k worth of stone and ring.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of D/E SI. Eevery detail of this stone is debatable & I do not know if I would prefer another, I have not looked.

I expect a faint smudge where GIA and the video show it, interfearing with a small fraction of reflections; the HCA number makes me wonder how the cut works & I am not used to reading this type of video for it.

Last edited:

ls430FL

Rough_Rock
I am shocked I am new to this forum but not new to jewelry. Everyone is entitled to make money as a Jeweler. However, I'm sorry but this is a stone he is probably buying for less than what it is for sale on that other site that was found by searching the cert #. There is no reasonable setting that is going to be for that stone that could bring the price up to $16,000 when the stone is only around $5,500. You really don't need this jeweler. He isn't guiding you to quality stones anyways as you have learned here. Post potential stones on here and then buy the stone you like with recommendations. Take the loose stone to a reputable jeweler and have it set the way you want it and save yourself thousands of dollars.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I am shocked I am new to this forum but not new to jewelry. Everyone is entitled to make money as a Jeweler. However, I'm sorry but this is a stone he is probably buying for less than what it is for sale on that other site that was found by searching the cert #. There is no reasonable setting that is going to be for that stone that could bring the price up to $16,000 when the stone is only around $5,500. You really don't need this jeweler. He isn't guiding you to quality stones anyways as you have learned here. Post potential stones on here and then buy the stone you like with recommendations. Take the loose stone to a reputable jeweler and have it set the way you want it and save yourself thousands of dollars.

Just a comment: the poster is Australian. $5,500USD is over $8k AUD and they have VAT, etc tax. The piece is still overpriced, but with taxes on the stone and a fancy setting, it would not be tremendously difficult to hit $16kAUD.

$16k AUD is approx $10,900 right now.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dont want to scare you away from your vendor but we have lots of Australians on Pricescope who buy from the US (its cheaper) and then pay
the taxes/import duties. I think most would say they end up with a better product for less money (maybe not a ton less).
Just something to consider.

I was just posting this up and I see @kb1gra has broached the issue.

Edit...this is at BlueNile...just a quick look. I'm sure we could find less expensive. Plus the cost would depend on the design of the setting you want.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Even this is more comvincing: E/SI1 HCA 2.2 www The cut works beyond the H&A range & the video lets me see how, as opposed to the incomprehensible videography of the other stone.

I have only looked at D & E color over 1.1cts, to start somewhere.

-

@whitewave I am also seeing the cluster of crystals & asoiated clouds, reflecting off the crown onto the pavilion facets; if the upside down look of the stone matters, this is not it.

I could be curious rather than put off by these clarity characteristics, if the HCA came out around one, not three.

Last edited:

ls430FL

Rough_Rock
My apologies I missed the part that the poster was from Australia. However I do think it is still expensive for what it is with much better out there so keep looking.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Did You place a deposit down? Is that refundable given what you have learned about this stone?
If refundable, then I would , if you will, allow the good ppl of PS to help you find a stone.

BN has a store here in Aus.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
If not refundable- if you care to share how much of a deposit you are losing? Cos if it is a sizeable deposit, then keep showing us the stones to guide you what is a good stone.

alternatively- to minimise the stress and you can get refund or willing to lose the small deposit-seek out Garry cut nut, who is based in Melbourne to help you out. He is a sponsor for this site. I will look it up for you later.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

Very new to the engagement ring thing and forums. Put a deposit down on a diamond based on the assurance from a jeweler that it was of quality.
1.2 Carat, SI2, D, Ex/Ex/Ex None
Comments: Additional clouds not shown. Additional pinpoints not shown.

The diamond is on order so i couldnt see what is actually coming my way in 2 weeks. Should i be concerned by the large cloud inclusion in the centre? I feel like I'm being gipped our of a true D rating cause the position might refract it to be cloudy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20200629-222514_Drive.jpg

No, don't do it.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is not soemthing I would consider a great stone. For the money you are spending, I would tell your jeweler thst he needs to try harder.

tell him you googled the certificate number and you found the stone. You tell him that you are not impressed by the stone... the stone is not
Clear- the inclusions are visible and right on the table and in ya face. It is not acceptable.

there is a table on PSwhere the angles are mentions for a fairly good performing stone.

it’s late here in Perth WA. Hopes somebody can find those numbers for you to tell your vendor/ find stones within these proportions..etc,

you out deposit down, so he better work to get the 16k worth of stone and ring.

GregChang35 well said

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Jonomino,
Just a point about reading a GIA report. The first feature listed under Keys to Symbols of the stone plot indicates that it is the main grade-setting feature. The comments that there are other clouds not shown in also relevant. In an Si2 grade you need to be concerned not only with inclusions being visible to the naked eye, but also affecting transparency. Compromised transparency means that the light transfer through the stone is impeded, which can diminish brilliancy and fire.

Clouds, in and of themselves, are not necessarily a problem. But as you go down in clarity grade they are more likely to be, and require more scrutiny.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of setting were you buying? Does his price include any sales taxes or not?

I'd still get my deposit back. I wouldn't trust him if he recommended that stone. And never buy a stone without seeing pictures or video. This stone shows you the reason.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results