carat
color
clarity

Newbie Diamond cloud inclusion help D|SI2|3 Ex

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Jonomino,
Just a point about reading a GIA report. The first feature listed under Keys to Symbols of the stone plot indicates that it is the main grade-setting feature. The comments that there are other clouds not shown in also relevant. In an Si2 grade you need to be concerned not only with inclusions being visible to the naked eye, but also affecting transparency. Compromised transparency means that the light transfer through the stone is impeded, which can diminish brilliancy and fire.

Clouds, in and of themselves, are not necessarily a problem. But as you go down in clarity grade they are more likely to be, and require more scrutiny.
I second that assessment. And add that as diamond size goes up SI clarity inclusions become larger - or in this case ding the transparency.
I would always prefer an inclusion that I can see sometimes in some lighting than a dull and boring couldy diamond that talks in a low gruff voice rather than sings and shouts!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 10.02.23 PM.png

i used this chart to set parameters. all candidates i found scored excellent hca scores. hope it helps.
Appallingly bad in my opinion.
For example there is an inverse law that as pavilion angle goes up or down the crown angle optimal goes up by 5X.
So if your pavilion angle is 40.5 then that is lower by 0.25 degrees from Tolkowsky.
5 x 0.25= 1.25 +34.5 = 35.75 degrees for the optimal crown angle.
In that case the depth should be more than 62%.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
If not refundable- if you care to share how much of a deposit you are losing? Cos if it is a sizeable deposit, then keep showing us the stones to guide you what is a good stone.

alternatively- to minimise the stress and you can get refund or willing to lose the small deposit-seek out Garry cut nut, who is based in Melbourne to help you out. He is a sponsor for this site. I will look it up for you later.

I agree.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
Appallingly bad in my opinion.
For example there is an inverse law that as pavilion angle goes up or down the crown angle optimal goes up by 5X.
So if your pavilion angle is 40.5 then that is lower by 0.25 degrees from Tolkowsky.
5 x 0.25= 1.25 +34.5 = 35.75 degrees for the optimal crown angle.
In that case the depth should be more than 62%.

agreed, this chart is not everything. definitely still requires judgement. it's more like a high-level guidance for people to help set their parameters when search for stones. probably should have clarified that. thanks for clarifying.

Jonomino

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses (sorry for the late reply - dashed out on a road trip for a few days)

To answer a few questions:
- Confirmed with jeweler, im not locked to that stone he can try for another (yay)
- Based in Sydney Australia
- Ring design includes a half PAVE style encrusted band (front,top,back) & halo so it hit 16k due to that (else the quotes ive been getting from a few places is 12 - 14k)
- Budget is 12-16k but will bump up for quality
- Really appreciate the offer of finding me a diamond. I can do the legwork if someone points me to a wholesale website.

Next steps for me is to see what the diamond looks like to the naked eye. My partner and I don't have shaprened eyes like yourselves so our vision might not see the inclusions/cloudiness even when pointed out.

I would mention the jeweler but i don't want to slam any place when i physically haven't seen the material yet nor hear their thoughts after seeing the diamond(they might advise against it as well). Its a known one in sydney CBD

Last edited:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
If you are based in Sydney and will only want to see jewelers in Sydney, I have a contact in Sydney that maybe able to help you. She will not know anything about ASET or ideal scope imaging but she can bring in stones for you to see. Joey at Jenny Bay.

Blue Nile is a US based company but has a presence here in Australia- Brisbane I think. So all research can be done online, but unable to see stone unless you pay for the stones and have it shipped to you: they have a return policy. But of course you Pay for postage.

If you want to continue to use your jeweler- ask him/ her to look at the angles we posted.

there are some guidelines as to angles/ parameters to look out for in a RB.
colour- you may be colours sensitive... some will say J is ok, some say G. you chose a D, so stick with a D or E.
Clarity- definitely SI and eye clean nothing lower than that clarity.
others may be able to guide more....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results