shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie buying diamond online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Probably tomorrow evening! I have arranged to go dinner with her after work!
4.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck with that Spidey - I am glad you are proposing soon! Please let us know how it goes, I bet she will be so delighted with her fabulous ring, not many ladies have such a fine diamond as that one!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spidey, I''m so glad to hear you''re not waiting! I was kinda sad to hear at first you might wait until right before she left, because then you wouldn''t have time to sit and watch her drool over her ring. You wanna see the fruits of your labor.
9.gif
2.gif

Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2006 8:51:08 AM
Author: Ellen
Spidey, I''m so glad to hear you''re not waiting! I was kinda sad to hear at first you might wait until right before she left, because then you wouldn''t have time to sit and watch her drool over her ring. You wanna see the fruits of your labor.
9.gif
2.gif

Good luck!

Ditto Miss Ellen - also you want to get the reflected glory as Hubby and I call it when her friends ooh and aah over it! You deserve a huge Attaboy for the great job you did!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 8:53:19 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 9/28/2006 8:51:08 AM
9.gif
2.gif

Good luck!

Ditto Miss Ellen - also you want to get the reflected glory as Hubby and I call it when her friends ooh and aah over it! You deserve a huge Attaboy for the great job you did!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Indeed!
36.gif

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
I did very little. I guess what I did extremely right was to find this place!

I must give credits to you! You people are so great that made this possible. Now I really hope she would say yes...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey, we appreciate your kind words very much that we were of help to you, and we were pleased to be able to. This is why we spend our time here and knowing that we helped you makes it so worthwhile. Of course, none of this would be possible without our hosts who do so much to keep this site running so we can help and share!
36.gif
36.gif
It has been a real pleasure to be involved in this special time in your life and I know your girl will say yes with all her heart!

DON'T FORGET THE HANDSHOTS!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto to what Lorelei said!

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
She said yes!!!!!!!!!!!

We went for dinner. The place I want to bring her closed down, so we went to another eatery instead. Was passing by the first place (on a bridge that oversee the night scene in Singapore) I gave her her first diamond ring (a GIA 0.34ct G VS1). It was quite a romantic place but then she asked me if I am giving her another, which I said "maybe".

We went for our dinner and after dinner we sat near the sea enjoying the breeze. I return her the ring which I used for sizing. Then after that I took out the box. She was so curious until I open the box. She exclaimed "Wah! That is so biiiiiiig!!!" Then I was stunned for a moment, loss for words to say and just muttered "Will you marry me?"... That wasn't what I planned but I just forgotten everything I wanted to say...

And she said yes!!!!!!!!!

Now the only problem is that the ring I used for sizing is slightly thicker and hence it fits nicely. This e-ring's band is much thinner, so now it's a little loose. Sigh... I thought a resizing can be averted...
38.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Spidey,

I missed the back story on this. Why two rings?

Date: 9/29/2006 10:50:21 AM
Author: SpideyWeb
That wasn't what I planned but I just forgotten everything I wanted to say...
of course, you could tell us....

Congratulations!!!

emfist.gif
emthup.gif
face20.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 10:50:21 AM
Author: SpideyWeb
She said yes!!!!!!!!!!!

We went for dinner. The place I want to bring her closed down, so we went to another eatery instead. Was passing by the first place (on a bridge that oversee the night scene in Singapore) I gave her her first diamond ring (a GIA 0.34ct G VS1). It was quite a romantic place but then she asked me if I am giving her another, which I said ''maybe''.

We went for our dinner and after dinner we sat near the sea enjoying the breeze. I return her the ring which I used for sizing. Then after that I took out the box. She was so curious until I open the box. She exclaimed ''Wah! That is so biiiiiiig!!!'' Then I was stunned for a moment, loss for words to say and just muttered ''Will you marry me?''... That wasn''t what I planned but I just forgotten everything I wanted to say...

And she said yes!!!!!!!!!

Now the only problem is that the ring I used for sizing is slightly thicker and hence it fits nicely. This e-ring''s band is much thinner, so now it''s a little loose. Sigh... I thought a resizing can be averted...
38.gif
Aww!
36.gif
I''m so glad she said yes, not that I really thought she wouldn''t.
2.gif

As for sizing, a small matter. Do you/she have a place there, or where she''s returning to that you''re comfortable with?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay - congrats to you Spidey!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
So happy for you and Mrs Spidey! The sizing of the ring is easy enough by a competent jeweller, I know it''s a pain but no biggie, can be done while you wait if you ask sometimes. As Ellen says, see if there is a place locally. This happens - try as you might to get the sizing right, often some final tweaking is required.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Regular Guy:
First ring was more of a Promise ring, when I asked her to be my girlfriend after dating for a while. She had been wearing that ring since. But when I was joking asking her if the ring is good enough for her, she said yeah it's nice but not good enough for an e-ring. Haha.

Originally I wanted to tell her that this ring may not be much, but it represents my love for her and my promise to her to take care of her for life. And I wanted to ask her if she would allow me to fulfill that promise. All these before the "Will you marry me?"... But it never came... Haha

Ellen/ Lorelei
We probably will go back to the local B&M to resize it. It is a chain franchise which I bought her first promise ring from... Might check out from there...

Thanks people! You are forever so encouraging!

PS: I just received a Fedex bill... Gosh... I did not escape tax
7.gif
And there was this "Duty Advancement Fee"... Anyone knows what it is?

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
One thing though... She said the diamond is too big for her daily wear... But she loves it!

But I was hoping she can wear it everyday like her promise ring... Pics up in a while!

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Pics as promised! This time on her hand!

img2651fv2.jpg

img2652ro7.jpg

A comparison shot (which is a little blur) with the 0.34ct G VS1
img2653hy4.jpg

PS: This ring size is 5.5 for those who need to know...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW what a wonderful story this whole thread is!!!!

The ring looks fantastic. You did a wonderful job with picking the stone and the setting.

Thank you for the hand shots, and for the ring size. It looks so BIG on her hand. I mean that in a good way!
9.gif

I''d love to see more photos of the promise ring and ering together.

Congratulations.
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pics!
36.gif

Tell her I said to wear it every day anyway, it most likely WILL shrink a tad, in her eyes.
2.gif

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 3:10:17 PM
Great pics!
36.gif

Tell her I said to wear it every day anyway, it most likely WILL shrink a tad, in her eyes.
2.gif
LOL. I did tell her about DSS. Let's just see if it happens to her anytime soon. But I also said upgrade in the near future is almost impossible and it will be quite some time before I can afford another diamond for her. I was really amazed at the performance of this 1.36ct rock. When placed side by side with the promise ring it puts the promise ring to shame (which is quite saddening because I was VERY VERY satisfied with the promise ring until now). But I guess DSS will not happen so soon if she still wears the promise ring most of the time compared to the e-ring.

She said she is afraid of wearing such a big rock everyday (damage etc). Well I have seen threads around talking about this, but my personal take is that indeed gals in Singapore seldom wear such big diamonds everyday. A 1ct is considered very big by normal terms, maybe this is also because of the very very heavy markup by B&M so that few, by far, can afford such. And not many people purchase diamonds over the net.

Now I have to find another US$500+ to pay for tax. Argh.
14.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can understand it if 1 ct is big there, that would really look big. And that does mean you won''t have to upgrade anytime soon.
2.gif

Sorry about the extra expense.
7.gif

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Well, I knew I had to pay the tax somehow. But I didn''t know of the "Duty Advancement Fee" that I had to pay. Don''t even know what is that!

Anyway when FedEX delivered the ring, there was no bill and I thought I had escaped. Didn''t expect them to bill me... Sigh...
40.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spidey, Congratulations!!! On everything, the beautiful ring, a yes, and an upcoming marriage! Ditto what everyone has said about insurance, insure your ring!! Not to sounds like your mama, but jewelry gets stolen, lost, and damaged all the time. The premiums are really pretty low and it''s great peace of mind.

Congrats again!! BTW, 1.36 is an awesome awesome size!! It may be a bigger diamond than she''s used to, but she''ll never regret getting the bigger diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey thanks for the handshots it looks PERFECT on her hand, it was definitely meant to be there!!!!!!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Sorry about the extra expense.
8.gif

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Spidey,

Congrats on your engagement. What a beautiful diamond....lucky girl! And what a guy to be able to pull all that off!

I am also in Singapore and can highly recommend William at Canary diamonds at "The Delphi" for your resizing if needed. I think its the Delphi or Adelphi..Anyway its diagonally opposite the forum shopping mall on Orchard road.

I have tortured the poor guy with so many resets on my ering-he is very patient! and v trustworthy.

I am also very close to purchasing some diamond studs online. What are the two charges you were talking about....Tax and ?.

Can I just ask what was the percentage of tax charged please so I can work out how much I have to pay. Also what was the percentage of the other charge on total purchase price please.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 229px">Date: 9/30/2006 10:45:01 AM
Author: sparkles
Hi Spidey,

Congrats on your engagement. What a beautiful diamond....lucky girl! And what a guy to be able to pull all that off!

I am also in Singapore and can highly recommend William at Canary diamonds at ''The Delphi'' for your resizing if needed. I think its the Delphi or Adelphi..Anyway its diagonally opposite the forum shopping mall on Orchard road.

I have tortured the poor guy with so many resets on my ering-he is very patient! and v trustworthy.

I am also very close to purchasing some diamond studs online. What are the two charges you were talking about....Tax and ?.

Can I just ask what was the percentage of tax charged please so I can work out how much I have to pay. Also what was the percentage of the other charge on total purchase price please.
Thanks! Can the resizing be done on the spot? I am worried about leaving the ring there with the jeweler.

As for the tax charges, if the internet seller uses FedEx, you would need to pay 5% GST and 5% of the GST to FedEx as Duty Advancement Fee.

Hope this helps!

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Spidey,

Yes get your ring insured.....chubb "masterpiece" is who we are with in Singapore.

Regarding having the stone re-sized on site. I haven''t seen any jewellers in singapore that do benchwork "out the back" of the shop per se.

I can feel your anxiety about letting such an expensive purchase out of your sight.

There is no obligation....The shop is on the ground floor...you can always go and have a look at what he has displayed in the window, watch the type of clientele going in and out of the door and sit down and express your concerns to him. You should get a feel about whether you trust him to do the resize.....

I would still get the ring insured first though....

regards

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/30/2006 11:19:20 PM
Author: sparkles
Spidey,

Yes get your ring insured.....chubb ''masterpiece'' is who we are with in Singapore.

Regarding having the stone re-sized on site. I haven''t seen any jewellers in singapore that do benchwork ''out the back'' of the shop per se.

I can feel your anxiety about letting such an expensive purchase out of your sight.

There is no obligation....The shop is on the ground floor...you can always go and have a look at what he has displayed in the window, watch the type of clientele going in and out of the door and sit down and express your concerns to him. You should get a feel about whether you trust him to do the resize.....

I would still get the ring insured first though....

regards
Thanks! I wonder how the premium is like. I am darn broke now it is not funny.
14.gif

I still would prefer to do the resizing while I wait. I don''t think I can let the ring stay there for days (if not weeks).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey, congratulations! The ring is very beautiful! She will adjust to the size of the diamond in time. It''s just a lot bigger than the promise ring!

My understanding is that sizing up is a little simpler process. So I''m not sure you could expect to have the ring sized smaler while you waited. But you can certainly call several reputable jewelers and see who might do it the quickest. But like the others, I strongly recommend getting it insured first, and then you won''t have to worry so much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results