shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie buying diamond online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Hi all the pros out there! I am a newbie just getting to know more about diamonds. I am trying to buy a diamond (1ct) online for engagement ring for my gf as I''ve heard that buying online actually saves some money.

I am based in Singapore. I am not sure which sites are recommended for buying online.

I did a search and found these following. Not sure which one below would be a better choice.
Click Here

Maybe any locals can also advise me on which B&M I can actually go to. I know of Janet''s in Orchard, but does she offer the same grade of diamonds as the sites? Also, if I get a diamond online, where can I go to get it set on a ring.

Please pardon me as I am really really new to this.
19.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey welcome
35.gif

Wow, you have certainly done a great job with your diamond choices, any of these would be fantastic - you can't go wrong! I take it that F VS is what you want for colour and clarity?

WF can set your diamond no problem, are you saying you would prefer to buy the diamond then have it set yourself elsewhere?

Yes, buying online will save you money and you will generally get a far better diamond in many ways with an educated online purchase. I don't know what import duties and customs etc you would be responsible for with having a diamond shipped - set or unset?
34.gif
But I am sure WF can advise you should you decide to purchase with them.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Any ACA will be fairly priced for a great diamond, and F VS2 is a sweet spot.

Consider using an expert''s expertise at WF to ferret between the 4.

Understand that, although local setting may be an option, and will have some advantages, WF certainly can do this, too, for you.

Happy shopping, and welcome to Pricescope.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei! I am actually selecting the diamonds based on the following priority:

1. Size (I wanted to propose using a 1 ct)
2. Budget (<US$9000)
3. Cut (H&A)
4. Colour (I wanted something good, so I was looking for a D to F, but my search only yield the few results)
5. Clarity (VS2-1 range, some SI can really see even under normal lightings)

The above priority I somehow followed from the tutorial I got from this site tailored to my own constraints. I still have lots to learn! Just wanted some valuable advice before I really proceed on to purchasing it. I would like to set the stone locally though.

PS: Would also approeciate if anyone from Singapore can bring me through the steps to buying the stone and maybe can PM me if there are anymore recommendations.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Hi,

thanks for your advise, but I am not too sure what you meant by using the experts at WF to ferret amongst the 4. How do I go about doing this?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey - What Regular Guy meant is to have WF look at the stones and let you know which is the "best" since all of your choices are very close on paper.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''d add this to DJ''s comments...as it''s not necessarily clear how high up the pecking order you can go, and the customer service reps who answer the phone there are supposed to be really pretty good. Still, I''m told you can ask for Brian Gavin''s help for such things, he''s their top dog, and so...you could say you heard third hand you could ask for Brian''s advice on this, and could he help discern between those 4 the best one...pretty please?

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, only problem is that I am from Singapore so calling them might be slightly difficult.

I am just wondering if I am chasing something that is too high up the "standings". Should I drop the clarity a grade further to get a bigger stone and/or save some cash? I am just wondering how high each clarity might impact on the diamond's appearance.

PS: A question that had been bugging me. Sometimes when I search on pricescope. There is this "Spread" value which can range from -3% to 3%. Just wondering how is this calculated? Don't seem to see it anywhere in the tutorial.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 11:26:37 AM
Author: SpideyWeb
Hmmm, only problem is that I am from Singapore so calling them might be slightly difficult.
You can try e-mail. You know, someone from there is maybe even reading this now...

I am just wondering if I am chasing something that is too high up the ''standings''. Should I drop the clarity a grade further to get a bigger stone and/or save some cash? I am just wondering how high each clarity might impact on the diamond''s appearance.
Now that''s a different, and personal question. I would say the choice of F & VS2 is solidly conservative, and consistent in a balanced way with your budget.

To test the choice further, as to whether you can really benefit best from those distinctions, shop locally, and see.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey, I ditto Ira's suggestion about seeing if someone from WF can advise you as to which diamond has the best personality. Clarity will only impact a diamond's appearance if the inclusions can be seen or are a durability isse - not a concern in the diamonds we are discussing here. With that in mind, even an SI2 clarity diamond - if eyeclean - will look as good as the VS, assuming the SI2 is eyeclean and the cuts and colours are equal for comparison's sake.

However all SI grades aren't created equal, some may be clean and some may not. Of couse dropping the clarity is fine, especially as you have a great vendor such as WF who will advise you if the diamond is eyeclean. It is purely your decision if you decide to lower the clarity to go larger.
1.gif

PM's are no longer available, but regarding purchasing advice, email WF - they are used to sending diamonds out all over the world and can advise you.

Regarding your spread question, does this help?

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/spread.asp

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 11:26:37 AM

PS: A question that had been bugging me. Sometimes when I search on pricescope. There is this ''Spread'' value which can range from -3% to 3%. Just wondering how is this calculated? Don''t seem to see it anywhere in the tutorial.
See first comment from Garry here.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your replies! You peeps are the best!

I just had a reply from WF. Brian is out of office for quite some time and they offer me help from another guru. However they preferred me to call them but as I am from Singapore I tried to ask if emails are possible. No matter, good response time from them!

As for the spread, I understand that even if the spread is good, it might not mean that the stone is good. But I still do not understand the value of -3% to 3%. How do I get the figures? And what number do I look out for? Is zero the best?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good spread depends on a specfic set of proportions. But if all the proportions are good and work well together, then the spread will be good. Don''t worry about it too much. ACA is a very consistent brand.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Thanks JulieN!

Now looking through various threads, I see many many nice diamonds which are "less than" ACA. And they look fantastic! Since I am not one with tons of spare cash to distribute, I was thinking maybe I should actually "downgrade" such stringent cut such as ACA to just an Ideal and get a bigger (yet cheaper) rock.

But because this is for engagement for my gf, I still would want the best for her. At least the best to what I can afford now. I think the century long question is, size vs cut or top notch cut.

I know eventually I will do an upgrade for her but I want this rock to be sentimental and special so I chose from ACA grade. Dilemma dilemma...
40.gif
40.gif
40.gif

She has a friend who got engaged recently. Her friend''s e-ring was 1.5ct! But I have yet to see the specs. If I had not surf here, I would have been conned just by the size too. I mean, most girls are just happy by bragging about the size and disregard cut/colour/clarity. I just wonder how the diamonds I have chosen will stand against others...
33.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 9:55:53 PM

She has a friend who got engaged recently. Her friend''s e-ring was 1.5ct! But I have yet to see the specs. If I had not surf here, I would have been conned just by the size too. I mean, most girls are just happy by bragging about the size and disregard cut/colour/clarity. I just wonder how the diamonds I have chosen will stand against others...
33.gif
Just a personal opinion, here, but I think that size matters!
1.gif

Since you''re going for a top quality cut stone, with a reputable and knowledgeable vendor. I think you could easily drop the color to a G or even H, and the clarity down to an SI-1 and still get a magnificent rock...and a bigger one, too!

That''s what I''d do....
widget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 8:56:31 PM
However they preferred me to call them but as I am from Singapore I tried to ask if emails are possible.

spideyweb,
you might ask WF in an email if they have any special phone hours coming up. I do know that from time to time they extend their hours to handle oversea''s/different timezone calls.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey, ACA is a branded cut - a fantastic one - but you don''t have to have that to get a beautiful sock exploding diamond! So you could take a look at other options such as Expert Selection or any of the other great cut diamonds out there and still end up with sublime beauty and sparkle!
3.gif

If you would prefer something larger, drop the colour and clarity some, and look at non branded cuts to get there.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Maybe I should. Thanks for the advice!

In fact my budget is around US$8 to 8.5k and I was hoping to get a diamond that is around 1.25ct (min 1ct). So now the issue is whether to get the better ones like ACA, which can only get around 1ct, or a larger but less branded.

33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No prob Spidey, us PS super sleuths will go to work on your behalf to find some suggestions for you!
3.gif
If we stick to GIA Ex or AGS certed diamonds we should come up with some winners.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Thanks peeps! I am eternally grateful!

I just want to get a ring which I can use for proposal to a gf (turned fiancee) with a smile on her face that cannot be any wider...
She deserves it...
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2006 7:50:10 AM
Thanks peeps! I am eternally grateful!

I just want to get a ring which I can use for proposal to a gf (turned fiancee) with a smile on her face that cannot be any wider...
She deserves it...
21.gif
Of course Spidey! I have found one here for starters, an H colour and VS clarity for the first example. Will add more as I find them.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2323730.htm#

Best of both worlds maybe with this one, lower colour and clarity but branded cut and more SIZE!
31.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2302/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fine, could be tighter on the symmetry, but do you really want a D? You will pay a premium for a D colour....OK maybe I misread one of your last posts, you wouldn't mind dropping the clarity but not the colour?

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
No I don''t really need a D I guess.

Selecting a diamond is really an art. You gain some you lose some. Why can''t we have the cake and eat it?
32.gif

I was told that cut is most important to a diamond, and hence I went to search on a top grade cutting of ACA. But size matters followed by colour then eventually clarity.

Please pardon me. This is the first time I am actually doing an "educated" purchase of a diamond (previously I always buy off the rack at B&M. Not to mention this is the first time I am buying diamond online...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey please don't worry - I am just trying to find out your priorities and help you find what you want and where to compromise. Take all the time you need, this is a big decision and purchase and we want to get it right! The others here would say the same!

Check out this one.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=860714

The price of this diamond might be in budget according to the search by cut feature. Cut is the most important thing for a diamond's beauty, but it doesn't have to be a branded cut like ACA to be fabulous, as long as the diamond is well cut with great proportions which work well together that is the main thing.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2006 8:12:11 AM
Author: Lorelei
Spidey please don''t worry - I am just trying to find out your priorities and help you find what you want and where to compromise. Take all the time you need, this is a big decision and purchase and we want to get it right! The others here would say the same!

Check out this one.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=860714

The price of this diamond might be in budget according to the search by cut feature. Cut is the most important thing for a diamond''s beauty, but it doesn''t have to be a branded cut like ACA to be fabulous, as long as the diamond is well cut with great proportions which work well together that is the main thing.
This looks like it has a lot of potential!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ellen, I thought so too and a lot of diamond for the money!!!!

Spidey the lines on the GIA cert are twinning wisps which may or may not be visible to the naked eye, you would have to ask WF. My guess is looking at the pic that this diamond might be eyeclean, but check anyway.

Here is some info on twinning wisps if you scroll down the page.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/classic.php?page=gallery_of_inclusions.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results