shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie buying diamond online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so pleased that the stone is on hold for YOU!!!

Remember that JA can set the stone for you too.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bank wiring is easy and I have done it before. You will need info from Jim such as his bank and a routing or ABA number if I remember rightly. Then you go to your bank and get them to wire transfer the funds to James Allen using the info he will give you, the bank give you a receipt and it is done. It is a very safe method of payment and the majority of business in the online diamond industry is conducted this way. So no biggie there. Not all diamonds are inscribed but if it makes you feel better then go ahead for security and identity. You can get a 10x loupe and get to know your diamond too - fascinating and useful!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 11:35:06 AM
Author: SpideyWeb
How about Jim just replied and said he placed the 1.36ct on hold for me!!!!!

I am so thrilled!!!!

Now inscription service costs $50. Is it worth doing?
Woohoooo!
36.gif

I want you to know I stopped cleaning just to check on you and this diamond.
2.gif

I was really wanting to believe that Jim wouldn''t sell that out from under you. Great guy!

I ditto Lorelei on bank wires and the inscription.

So happy you got this!

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
You people are the greatest!
9.gif

Now I am thinking of how to "test the water". I am not good at asking her something and not let her know. I am also debating on whether to set it locally or to let JA set it for me. I knew she like classic tiffany style but I am wondering whether to go for 4 prongs or 6 prongs.
33.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 12:25:28 PM
You people are the greatest!
9.gif

Now I am thinking of how to ''test the water''. I am not good at asking her something and not let her know. I am also debating on whether to set it locally or to let JA set it for me. I knew she like classic tiffany style but I am wondering whether to go for 4 prongs or 6 prongs.
33.gif
Does she have a friend you could ask (that you can trust!), that knows what she likes? Or her mom?

As for where to set, if you have a local jeweler, who doesn''t have a problem setting a stone they didn''t sell, and you trust their work, I''d say go local, and try to get the setting from them. If not, get Jim to set it.

As for 4 vs. 6 prong, it''s personal. From the polls I''ve seen around here, I''d say 6 may have a slight edge.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Dear all, quite a bit of stuff happened over the last few hours. Would like to share with you.

Something actually cropped up in the family (of all times) and I might need some cash in the near future. Hence I was not able to give Jim a firm answer, yet he gave me till Monday to decide. A really really cool guy, he is.
12.gif

And then, I received the reply from the consultant from WF with regards to my initial query on the ACA diamonds. And guess what, he did a search for me (really great customer service as well) and then offered me the VERY SAME 1.36CT rock!!! (of course, with a slight increase in the price for the in-betweener). I knew it had to be the same since the depth, table colour and clarity are EXACTLY the same! Has anyone ever had this happened to him/her before?

I really feel some connection to this rock. Now if only my problems did not happen...
39.gif
7.gif
8.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww, I can imagine your disappointment. However, I have lived long enough to know that if it''s meant to be, it will be. I know that''s probably not what you want to hear, but try and believe it is so. And see what happens.
2.gif

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Now I am just looking at setting of diamonds (which i did not think too much before). I prefer classic solitaire "tiffany" kinda design and leaning more towards 6 prongs. However, I find the setting from JA is a little on the pricey side (compared to similar setting in WF). And if I get the stone set by JA then I will not be able to really see the diamond loose.

I realise I am a problematic kid...
38.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey I wouldn't worry about not being able to see the diamond loose - you can trust Jim 110% and he will do a great job on the setting for you.

I am sorry too you have had a major spanner thrown in the works.
15.gif
I agree with Ellen - I feel the same way that if it is meant to be it will be. I had a look as you know yesterday when we thought this diamond was a no go and it wasn't easy to find another as good as this one, in fact unless we went smaller I couldn't find anything to match up for the size and quality of the diamond at this price. Also Jim says it is a beauty and that is worth a lot as he is seeing them all the time.

Personally if you can swing it I think you should really try to get this diamond. Prices are still rising too. If you can manage it I say go for it! But that is only my opinion, there are other things more important but this rock seems too good to lose....
15.gif

I hope everything gets sorted out quickly for you Spidey.

PS - 6 prongs are thought to be more secure and make the diamond look rounder. Some prefer 4 as they feel they can see more of the rock, but it is a matter of preference.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Looking at things, I just might get the diamond!

Anyway, I have a few queries:

1. How do I go about having the rock set by another online vendor (e.g. WF)?

2. Understand that if I do the inscription, it will be done by James Allen and the cert will not reflect anything of this sort. And to get AGS to do the inscribing, then additional costs will have to be incurred. Is this right? Because if the inscription is done by JA and not by AGS, then AGS will not consider this diamond "certified", or so to speak right? I am not very particular about the inscription, just that I am not sure without inscription, will the buy-back and upgrade policy still hold? Also, without inscription, I am worried that the rock might be swapped in future if I decide to reset it or to polish it.

3. The setting, should I go with white gold or platinum? I have decide that I would prefer a 6 prongs "tiffany" setting but I am still torn between white gold and platinum. Jim is offering me the simple Classic Solitaire setting and it can come with 6 prongs with no extra cost. I am still thinking about it since I might want to make this a special setting instead of the "off the rack". If I were to set it here in Singapore, then point (2) is a bigger problem.

Will it be too much if I ask for a loupe to be added so I can see the diamond clearly? Will there be additional cost (sorry, cost is a problem as it has exceeded by budget already)?

PS: Alternatively, I can just get the rock first and find any local jeweler to set it when my finances allows. Maybe this is a better idea?
40.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 12:28:59 PM
Looking at things, I just might get the diamond!

Anyway, I have a few queries:

1. How do I go about having the rock set by another online vendor (e.g. WF)?

2. Understand that if I do the inscription, it will be done by James Allen and the cert will not reflect anything of this sort. And to get AGS to do the inscribing, then additional costs will have to be incurred. Is this right? Because if the inscription is done by JA and not by AGS, then AGS will not consider this diamond ''certified'', or so to speak right? I am not very particular about the inscription, just that I am not sure without inscription, will the buy-back and upgrade policy still hold? Also, without inscription, I am worried that the rock might be swapped in future if I decide to reset it or to polish it.

3. The setting, should I go with white gold or platinum? I have decide that I would prefer a 6 prongs ''tiffany'' setting but I am still torn between white gold and platinum. Jim is offering me the simple Classic Solitaire setting and it can come with 6 prongs with no extra cost. I am still thinking about it since I might want to make this a special setting instead of the ''off the rack''. If I were to set it here in Singapore, then point (2) is a bigger problem.

Will it be too much if I ask for a loupe to be added so I can see the diamond clearly? Will there be additional cost (sorry, cost is a problem as it has exceeded by budget already)?

PS: Alternatively, I can just get the rock first and find any local jeweler to set it when my finances allows. Maybe this is a better idea?
40.gif
1. Someone else will know better than me.
2. Ditto
3. It''s really all your personal choice. I have a platinum set and really I wouldn''t mind white gold at all. There are tons of threads on here about plat vs white gold. Plat is naturally white and doesn''t need to be redipped...ever. However plat does scratch and personally I find it scratches a lot. At least mine do. Keep in mind nothing that looks hideous or anything but I think sometimes people think plat is the miracle metal, whereas it does have it''s down ups and downs. White gold will need to be redipped but there are a lot of people who love it. Just keep in mind as well your going to have to match her wedding band to the metal that you pick and plat is costly. I wouldn''t stress yourself over the setting. You say you don''t want it to look "off the rack" but some women prefer the really clean classic look of a simple solitaire setting. I have a friend who wouldn''t ever consider parting with it! If having JA set your ring solves a lot of issues for you then i''d say get it set in the cheaper solitaire setting and if you think she might want something else, upgrade the setting somewhere down the line. Jim set my ring for me in the setting that I had, but changed the head on it and it came out great!

I wouldn''t worry about asking for a loupe. I guess it never hurts to ask but if you wanted to get one you can easily get them offline for very little money. I think mind was all of $3.00 USD. I paid like $1.00 shipping?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. the diamond is either shipped to the setter or the setting is shipped to the vendor. Have you seen the SuperbCert Tifany?
2. yes, without inscription, they'll still upgrade it. make sure the setter knows an inscription exists and doesn't cover it with a prong.
3. doesn't matter, preferences. Go for a Tiffany replica, it's a classic.

You can always ask. Loupes are pretty inexpensive, and you can get them anywhere. It usually takes higher power to see the inscription, though.

Maybe you can put it in the regular setting for now, and then let her pick one later (when your finances allow it?)

While I prefer 6 prongs in general, I actually prefer four on ring that you posted, as the prongs are rather stiff looking, and the less there is, the better IMO. Also ask for it to be set low, perhaps? It will be more graceful.

edit: oh, well, since it's a rather big stone, go for the 6 prongs...set low.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey that is a perfect setting for that fabulous rock, then you can reset later if you wish, but in the meantime that will be just the job!

You are going to get it then?????

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, that setting is lovely!

Are you going to be able to get the stone?

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Ok peeps, some good news and some bad.

Good news, I''m getting the rock! I felt a connection to this stone and I am pretty sure I will love it (hopefully she does, and says yes to me). I have also managed to measure her left ring finger diameter. It is 52 to 53mm and I am not sure what size that is. Help anyone?
33.gif

I will be asking for the white gold setting above but with 6 prong instead (Jim advised against platinum unless she really wants it). This will cost some $300 less than platinum. And I will also not be asking for laser inscription since I must learn to identify my dear diamond by her feather!

Bad news, I will be damn broke after this purchase. I think I have to start saving for marriage again
8.gif
. But then again, if there is no proposal, there can''t be marriage right?
Also, I was damn unromantic about taking her ring size. I was jokingly talking to her about my initial promise about getting her a 1ct Destinee (Singapore B&M brand of H&A) ring and that would probably cost around US12.5 to 13k. So I said to prepare I would need to measure her ring size. Think locally the standard B&M size is 12 or something but that is different from US scale. Think she knew I would be getting her a ring, but I don''t think she expects what I will do, because she is advising me to order online to save some cash too. But I am certainly stretching my pocket here.
40.gif

Anyway I am super duper grateful to all you folks here. You have been lovely and certainly very very helpful!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are going to be so happy with this rock, it will be worth it! By the way, I received a loupe with my james allen diamond purchase and you probably will too. It came with a loupe and a temporary diamond holder. You might want to ask Jim if he is still doing this since I purchased the diamond about a year ago.

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/16/2006 3:53:28 PM
Author: kcoursolle
You are going to be so happy with this rock, it will be worth it! By the way, I received a loupe with my james allen diamond purchase and you probably will too. It came with a loupe and a temporary diamond holder. You might want to ask Jim if he is still doing this since I purchased the diamond about a year ago.
Thanks! I have asked Jim and he said he will include the loupe for me even if I didn''t ask. But what is the temporary diamond holder used for?

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if I have my diamond set at JA, will they provide a nice nice ring box? Or will I have to get one for the proposal?
33.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Best to ask, of course. Two years ago they did this for me, with a little light that would go on inside when you opened the box.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy you are getting this diamond, you won't be sorry! The temp holder is just that, a metal ring with prongs which you can slip the diamond into safely. Jim will probably supply a nice ring box with the diamond for you, just check with him as Ira says. Sounds like you are all set and we will NEED pics when that diamond arrives!

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei!

I can''t wait for it myself! Now just have to wait for Jim to get into office on Monday to settle my invoice.
19.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spidey, many of us have been broke after buying an e-ring! Enjoy the special time in your life and know what a fantastic rock you have here that you will both cherish forever. You will soon be solvent again and have a very happy girl!

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Yep. This E-ring almost wiped out my savings (goes to show how much savings I''ve got, but hey, I''ve only worked for a while).

Tough time to be spending this much but I figure I will have to spend it sooner or later, and if later, I might not find this rock at this price anymore. Anyway now I am waiting for Jim to reply me on my invoice. So nervous...
40.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2006 7:43:43 AM
Yep. This E-ring almost wiped out my savings (goes to show how much savings I've got, but hey, I've only worked for a while).

Tough time to be spending this much but I figure I will have to spend it sooner or later, and if later, I might not find this rock at this price anymore. Anyway now I am waiting for Jim to reply me on my invoice. So nervous...
40.gif
Exactly. Being nervous is natural Spidey, so don't feel bad! This is a big and very significant purchase you are making, but as you say you will have to spend the money sooner or later, prices are still rising. You are paying for this rock outright, feel good about that, you haven't had to use credit! You have the rest of your lives to save which you will. When my Hubby and I got engaged, we didn't have any savings at all, and we could only afford a 20 pointer diamond thereabouts for my e-ring. We love that ring anyway, this was 20 years ago, but my point is you are doing great to be able to afford something so nice for your GF! I always think with big purchases there is never a good time to spend the money, that seems to be life!

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the support Lorelei. I was thinking about whether I should save some grand and get a smaller rock. But my girl really deserves something better. So I ask myself if she is only worth that few grand. Then the decision becomes clear.

I really hope this diamond is as good a performer as I expect it to be!
10.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spidey, I understand your nervousness, but you''ve done good. You can start saving again, and the best part of all will be every time your girl looks at her ring and smiles (which she will). That will make it all worthwhile.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2006 8:32:03 AM
Author: Ellen
Spidey, I understand your nervousness, but you''ve done good. You can start saving again, and the best part of all will be every time your girl looks at her ring and smiles (which she will). That will make it all worthwhile.
2.gif
Ditto Miss Ellen!
35.gif

Spidey, there is something special about this rock, I am confident that it will blow your socks off AND hers! It has everything going for it, great numbers and HCA score, the F colour you wanted and a great clarity so you aren''t paying for overkill there, plus Jim thinks this rock is exceptional which means a lot! Kudos to Jim too for holding this rock for you! Trust me, diamond shrinkage syndrome is a real phenomenon - diamonds can and do look smaller once the eye adjusts, the 1.36 allows a bit of room to manouver there!
31.gif
You won''t regret going for this size, Miss Ellen has a diamond of similar size and she loves it!

SpideyWeb

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Just something. Jim sent me a mail previously and attached a picture of how the diamond set on the Tifanny-like 6 prong will look like.
sixmn3.jpg

I am really partial towards this than the 4 prong setting I posted earlier... Comments anyone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic and gorgeous! I take it this pic is a photoshop one, I would prefer the prongs to be thinner, but they probably will be in the actual ring anyway.

This type of ring really is my fave, so timeless
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results