shape
carat
color
clarity

New user seeking advice on Oval diamond

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,

I’ve been lurking around this site for a couple of weeks now as I’m in the process of sourcing a diamond for an engagement ring for (hopefully) my soon to be fiancé.

We have been dating for about 3 yrs, living together for about 1.5.

She has been dropping not so subtle hints about me getting a move on with a proposal but I’m deliberately trying to play it cool – I do want to surprise her and I don’t think she has any idea that I’m looking. I sort of know exactly what she wants – something very similar to Blake Lively’s engagement ring. I think that particular ring may be rose gold, she does not want rose gold, she wants a gold band. All her current rings are gold, she is not into silver or rose gold. She is a very tall girl (182 cm) and has fairly long skinny fingers.

So these are my specs and I’m willing to move things around (compromise) as I’m am out of my depth here a little. I've read heaps but yea, still very apprehensive about this.

Shape: Oval
Caret: 2.0
Colour: G-H
Clarity VS1-SI1
Cut: Ideal, Excellent – I’m not sure this matters with Oval shape?
Polish: Ideal, Excellent
Symmetry: Ideal, Excellent

My budget for the diamond is ideally USD15-17k and appreciate I might be being a bit optimistic here. I’m based in Australia so the exchange rate will hurt me plus I will need to pay additional taxes on entry to Australia.

Regarding the setting, right now I’m thinking of just sourcing the diamond and letting her choose the setting as I actually think choosing the setting is the hard part. Saying that she has made it very clear to me what she wants – thin pave band, aka Blake Lively ring so I’m really undecided whether to go ahead and also pick the setting.

I’ve read lots and lots of responses you guys have provided to other people and I’m blown away by the amount of helpful feedback that is provided on this site. I’ve seen heaps of rings on James Allen and there is a local place in Australia that comes heavily recommended, so I’m not sure whether to take the plunge online or source locally. Online being cheaper opposed to actually psychically seeing the diamond before purchase. Saying that I would happily buy online if its the right stone.

https://www.jogiadiamonds.com.au/diamonds/diamond_search.php

I’m hoping some of the experts on this forum can help me find a good stone. I’m willing to do whatever further research that is required.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hi E B,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

The first one you recommend looks pretty awesome. http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd28243.html Its seems pretty reasonably priced for a stone with such good clarity (VVS1). I'm assuming this may be because it is just below the 2ct mark. Which I don't mind btw.

The second one also looks great http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd28243.html but should I be concerned that the cut grade is only VG? Again the clarity is VVS1, would I be better compromising more on the clarity to gain something elsewhere.

I also heard very good things on this forum about ID Jewellery so I'm excited to have a couple of options that I can pursue.

I'm going to request the ASET's on both these stones.

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1470078991|4061370 said:
Here are a couple more I'd ask about ASETs for (the ones shown are computer generated, as far as I know). They look like they have potential (and are under budget!):

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd27452.html

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd28243.html

That looks like the same image for both stones but it doesnt say "Sample Image". Hmmm...anyway, I do think Yuketiel at ID Jewelry
can help you. You know you can not buy fancy cut stones by the number so you would need "real" images of these stones as well
as aset images.

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hi tyty333,

Thanks so much for responding. I've read a lot of your replies to other posters so appreciate your guidance here.

I'm happy to drop below the 2ct mark if that is going to be better value or more options. I'm assuming the physical difference between a stone at 1.8ct and 2.0ct will be very negligible.

The stone you recommended looks amazing. I will request the ASET images.

Once again thanks for jumping in.

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
"You know you can not buy fancy cut stones by the number so you would need "real" images of these stones as well
as aset images."

Ok good to know. Thanks.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one looks descent...no bow-tie, typical mush N/S but it is less than usual, looks to have a good light return on the outer edge
of the stone which you usually dont see. Lots of nice faceting turning on/off.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.80-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-840353

Edit - With fancy cuts you cant be to specific as far as specs go. You need to find a well cut pretty stone and hope that it falls
within, or above your specs. With round brilliants you can be pretty specific because they are usually plentiful...fancy cuts, not
so much.

E B

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1470092188|4061456 said:
That looks like the same image for both stones but it doesnt say "Sample Image". Hmmm...anyway, I do think Yuketiel at ID Jewelry
can help you. You know you can not buy fancy cut stones by the number so you would need "real" images of these stones as well
as aset images.

You know, I thought the same thing at first, but they just have similar specs. Here are the images side-by-side, one is a bit thinner than the other.

They're a nice size for that price, though, and good specs, too. Like tyty said, cut "classification" isn't really the way to judge fancies. If IDJ can get them in they can help you with them further (more info). That F color from JA looks like it has potential too.

ovals.png

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Thanks E B,

I've dropped an email to IDJ requesting the ASET images for both stones. I'm in a different timezone to them so expect it make take them a while to get back to me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, apparently ID Jewelry images arent working for me...this is what is coming up for both stones.

fake_stone.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey...I found the images by clicking on the round diamond image. I like the 1.94 better. The 2.01 is all white on the
outer edge. ( asets are there also)

The 1.94 is also a larger looking stone(mm wise). Here is the size difference. The 2 carat on left, 1.94 on right. Also I forgot to
make the band on the ring smaller. That is a 3mm wedding ring. Most rings would be more in the range of 2.3ish give or take.

2_carat_ovals.png

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Thanks tyty333,

Your right about the 1.94 appearing larger. This stone is about $3k cheaper than the one you posted from James Allen. The cut and clarity seem to be better with the JA stone although it is smaller in carat.

I'm thinking the 1.94 IDJ one???

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
landdownunder|1470099034|4061504 said:
Thanks tyty333,

Your right about the 1.94 appearing larger. This stone is about $3k cheaper than the one you posted from James Allen. The cut and clarity seem to be better with the JA stone although it is smaller in carat.

I'm thinking the 1.94 IDJ one???

Ask Yuketiel to look at it. The 1.94 has better clarity then the F I posted. The reason I posted the F is because I wasnt finding
any in the 2 carat range. The F does look to have a better cut but the 1.94 has the size. Need to make sure it has good light return.
See what Yuketiel has to say about the 1.94. You can also point out the F to him and ask him about that one if still interested. He
may be able to get it but not sure. I would like to see a real ASET image of the 1.94. Ask Yuketiel if he can do any kind of video for
you since you are out of the country. I dont think he can but does not hurt to ask.

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Just a quick update. Yekutiel from IDJ responded to my email where I requested him to send me the ASET images. He requested I call him. I unfortunately picked the email up out of his business hrs so will call him tomorrow. Fingers crossed we can make some progress.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
landdownunder|1470180367|4061852 said:
Just a quick update. Yekutiel from IDJ responded to my email where I requested him to send me the ASET images. He requested I call him. I unfortunately picked the email up out of his business hrs so will call him tomorrow. Fingers crossed we can make some progress.

Sounds good...post when you get it.

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,

Hoping to revisit this old thread and ask for some help again.

I'm still on the lookout for an oval diamond as per the specs of my original thread. I have been recommended the following and would appreciate any feedback.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD07352198

gia_6232059959-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia_6232059959-idealscope-01.jpg

gia_6232059959-aset_white-01.jpg

gia_6232059959-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

Alternatively if anyone has come across any nice looking ovals recently it would be much appreciated if you could share.

Thanks in advance.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Passs.

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Thanks for jumping in and responding Gypsy.

Just for my clarification do you mean:

1. Pass as in its no good
2. Pass as in yes buy this diamond as it’s great
3. Pass as in its just a pass (i.e. just Ok).

Thanks

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hi tyty333, appreciate your recommendation, sorry its taken me a while to respond to this thread - I got sent away on a work trip that didn't give me much free time.

So I spoke to the guys at JA and I now understand what you were saying about the limit of 3 requests for ASET images. When I was speaking to them about getting the ASET image, the rep from JA stated the following:

"I'd like to point out that this diamond is slightly deeper than recommended, which could work against the diamond producing a good image. It looks great in the video, but our ASET images are very unforgiving, and I feel that since its depth is straying from the recommended 58 to 66 range, it will not contribute to a great image, if the ASET image would be a deal breaker in your decision".

I thought this a strange comment to make - do you think the diamond is deeper than normal and what effect would this have?

If any other Pricescopers have an opinion on this stone please feel free to chime in.

Alternatively I would love if anyone had any other suggestions that I could compare with.

Thank you.

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hi PattyCo, thanks for your recommendations. I followed up on your them with JA and the first 2 are no longer available - I was a bit too slow in this case. Your 3rd recommendation is stunning but a bit outside my brief. I think it might be a bit to big for my partner.

Appreciate your assistance and taking the time to help.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
landdownunder|1473256850|4074053 said:
Hi PattyCo, thanks for your recommendations. I followed up on your them with JA and the first 2 are no longer available - I was a bit too slow in this case. Your 3rd recommendation is stunning but a bit outside my brief. I think it might be a bit to big for my partner.

Appreciate your assistance and taking the time to help.

My pleasure to help. I know the 3rd was too warm, but when I seen it's pretty face I couldn't help but suggest it. Honestly I didn't even look at the dimensions, lol! :lol:

On with the hunt!

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Yes PattyCo, on with the hunt indeed. Its proving a bit more difficult than I thought. :???:

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hi kb1gra, thanks for this suggestion. Its actually a very beautiful diamond.

My only concern here is that is might be a little too small. My partner is really tall (>182 cm) and has fairly large hands. She wants a big ring hence my spec of approx 2 cwt. This one might just be a little too small.

Appreciate your time helping out.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
landdownunder|1473292922|4074199 said:
Hi kb1gra, thanks for this suggestion. Its actually a very beautiful diamond.

My only concern here is that is might be a little too small. My partner is really tall (>182 cm) and has fairly large hands. She wants a big ring hence my spec of approx 2 cwt. This one might just be a little too small.

Appreciate your time helping out.

This 2.01 H/VS1 is only $500 over your budget wire price.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?carat_max=2.97&carat_min=1.88&heirloom=true&shape=Oval#diamond=O201-0Z9532Z62

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2012821 I would definitely get the gemologist to look at this one as the video makes it look like it may have transparency issues, but sometimes their videos are just bad

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8509494-2.01-carat-Oval-diamond-H-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

Ovals aren't my specialty but I'm sure someone will chime in if any of these are duds.

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hi kb1gra,

I'm working with Yekutiel at IDJ and he has helped me get the ASET images for one of those diamonds that you recommended. It is the one from Enchanted diamonds. Yekutiel did not comment on the quality of the diamond he only provided me the ASET images - which I found strange. In the past he has suggested a diamond that I posted ASET images on this thread previously and I was recommended to pass on this by Gypsy. From my research on this site Yekutiel has a really good reputation but I'm finding him a bit of a mixed bag at this stage. I will persist with IDJ and will likely get him to make the setting for me.

Anyway here are the ASET images for that particular diamond. Can you let me know what you think (or anyone else please feel free to comment).

Help as always is appreciated.

gia_1189507451-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

gia_1189507451-aset_white-01.jpg

gia_1189507451-idealscope-01.jpg

gia_1189507451-officelight_black-01.jpg

landdownunder

Rough_Rock
Hey guys can anyone help with with feedback on the ASET images above or wish to help me with commentary. Is this a good diamond or just Ok?

Many thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results