shape
carat
color
clarity

New to the forum, just starting E-Ring Search

furs

Rough_Rock
So for a high level, I don't have many resources in family for advice on this important search. I'm somewhat traditional and would like to surprise my gf with a ring rather than ask her to help chose one. Although I do intend to ask her parents permission, I don't think it's a good idea to get there opinion on rings just because I'm worried my gf would get wind of it.

So I am somewhat lost and would love this forum's help.

Here is what I know:
I personally am not a big fan of diamonds, but I know that's what she wants. I love the idea of a blue sapphire with diamonds on either side, but because I intend to give my gf (later in life) a family heirloom ring that has a tanzanite stone with small diamonds on either side, I think I am best going with a single diamond for the e-ring.

Budget:
$30-40K, I can spend more if need be, but I have that range because my goal is to get a stunning ring, not an obnoxiously large one.

About GF:
Late 20's, very tall, pale skin, and dark hair. She has a "classy style" and typically wears suit pants, dresses or skirts to work, with a nice blouse. When we go out it's usually dresses, or more causally might be jeans. As for jewelry she often wears many pieces together, which honestly is not entirely my own taste, but for more formal settings she ops for modest matching jewelry. She often mixes both silver and gold though.

Style of the ring:
So since I plan on this being a surprise the ring has to be perfect without knowing exactly what she wants (I know that's not easy and is more luck that anything else). I plan on going simple, elegant, and getting a single high quality stone in a platinum setting. I'm thinking F or better and VS1 or better, but open to comments on that. I would most likely get a custom setting, I just prefer the idea of a one of kind e-ring.

Cut of the stone:
This is where I really need help. I like Emerald cut, cushion, radiant, and asscher, but this isn't about me so I'd like a better understanding of what is common these days.

I'm familiar with the sites: goodoldgold and bluenile, but not sure if this type of site is the best step forward. What are your thoughts on all of this?

furs

Rough_Rock
Okay so I've spent the last few hours researching, mostly on this site.

I think I'm now looking at either round or cushion cuts. What are people's thoughts on the differences? Round seems so much more popular, is there a big difference in $/carat between the two cuts.

Clarity: VVS2 or higher
Color: E or F

I am just starting to learn about HCA, but frankly it's all a bit overwhelming.
One aspect of quality that doesn't seem to get talked about much is polish. From personally working with finish coatings I have a feeling that the level of polish on a diamond could have a big impact on it's appearance. Is there any thoughts about the level of polish on a stone?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lower the clarity back to VS1 (a lot on here will recommend eye clean SI1 to eek out a bit more size), and include G colour as well.

Cushions will face up smaller than a round, but are a bit cheaper per ct.

You have a large budget, is the setting part of the budget or not? You could reach out to Leon mege, Victor Canera and Brilliantly engaged and get some quotes going. I'll see what's available in your price range.

furs

Rough_Rock
My budget is flexible. My goal is to get a diamond that makes her say wow, but doesn't cause everyone that seems it to wonder how much I spent on it. I actually like that the cushion cut has smaller face value for that reason. I'm guessing a custom setting is less that 5K? Is that a fair guess for a custom setting in platinum, plan band with 4 double prongs? If not what can I expect for a setting.

I am struggling with evaluating the quality of cushion cut stones however because it seems like HCA cannot be used. Is there another method of evaluating stones, based on their GIA report information?

I like the look of the August Vintage at Good Old Gold, but not sure if a lot of that is just marketing I'm falling for. Additionally I cant seem to find any on their site that's colorless.

I am somewhat sold on going with a VS2 or better in D, E, or F because I know that's the criteria that Harry Winston uses (I've always loved their rings, but can't justify the markup). Since I'm going with a solitaire Platinum setting I think the true colorless diamond will be more important.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The AVC (and AVR) are both very beautiful. Its a vintage look with ideal light performance. There was a thread just the other day about a custom cut AVC ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gog-custom-cut-avc-experience.219656/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gog-custom-cut-avc-experience.219656/[/URL]) if that's something you want to look into.

A few of the other vendors have their own custom cut as well - I linked a 'royal chandelier' from BE which is vintage look as well. VC has these:
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/qnt57k-2.470-e-si1-ideal-antique-cushion
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/fvdapm-2.100-f-vvs2-ideal-antique-cushion

It's highly (highly highly highly) you'll see any tint in a G colour, but obviously if you want to stick with D-F it's your money and your diamond!

eta - for cushions, you need an ASET. This is a light performance tool (the red/green/blue image you'll see on GOG). There are a ton of threads that will tell you how to 'read' them. But yes, you are correct the HCA does not work for cushions, or anything besides the Modern round brilliant.

furs

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1455831841|3992694 said:
The AVC (and AVR) are both very beautiful. Its a vintage look with ideal light performance. There was a thread just the other day about a custom cut AVC ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gog-custom-cut-avc-experience.219656/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gog-custom-cut-avc-experience.219656/[/URL]) if that's something you want to look into.

A few of the other vendors have their own custom cut as well - I linked a 'royal chandelier' from BE which is vintage look as well. VC has these:
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/qnt57k-2.470-e-si1-ideal-antique-cushion

It's highly (highly highly highly) you'll see any tint in a G colour, but obviously if you want to stick with D-F it's your money and your diamond!

eta - for cushions, you need an ASET. This is a light performance tool (the red/green/blue image you'll see on GOG). There are a ton of threads that will tell you how to 'read' them. But yes, you are correct the HCA does not work for cushions, or anything besides the Modern round brilliant.

I do like this one:

I am also very interested in the story of the custom cut diamond. Is this something folks here on pricescope do often? I'll post a few specific questions I have about custom cuts on that thread, but am truly impressed.

Do you think there is value in getting the setting from the same place as the stone? Maybe some room to negotiate?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe VC and LM will offer a discount if you purchase both from them. Not sure about GOG though.

There are a few threads regarding the custom cut, and you can always reach out to the vendors and get more info as well.

furs

Rough_Rock
What about a custom setting in platinum, just a plain setting with no additional diamonds. What should I budget for this, a ballpark price is fine.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TBH I've never had the pleasure (*cough* budget *cough*) to work with the vendors you're looking at. I believe with pave they were 5k+, so a nice platinum setting would likely be less. If I were to take a totally wild guess, I'd say 2-3. I know one of the other favourites (david klass) would be closer to 1k+, so these guys are a bit more.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe this is blasphemy but if you are just getting a simple, platinum setting, I don't know why you would need to go custom. There are plenty of beautiful plain platinum settings out there that don't require a LM, SK, etc. And since you are looking for a very high color diamond, I'd put that extra cash towards the stone.

furs

Rough_Rock
Very fair point about whether going custom is really worth it. The way I see it is that I would be about 3-5% more expensive in total ring cost to get a custom setting. Not saying I'm certainly going to go that root, but I am saying that if it means I have a bit more control over the outcome or process that's how I'll proceed.

It seems that most folks do not find it worthwhile to go for stones in the D, E, & F range. I understand that a bigger stone could be obtained with a less restriction on color, but does everyone agree that's wise. Can we ballpark what a 2.5ct F, VS1 would cost in a modern (but not modified) cushion cut. It seems like I am seeing some in the 20-30K range, but I'm not sure of their overall quality.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Question about your girl: how big are her hands? Point taken that you don't want a super ostentatious ring and that size isn't your priority, but the impact of 2 carats is very different on a 4.5 finger vs. a 7.5 - and vice versa.

furs

Rough_Rock
Fulvia|1455846850|3992767 said:
Question about your girl: how big are her hands? Point taken that you don't want a super ostentatious ring and that size isn't your priority, but the impact of 2 carats is very different on a 4.5 finger vs. a 7.5 - and vice versa.

I need to sneak a look at the rings she wears most frequently, but measuring another one lying around the house she seems to be between a size 5 or 6.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
That's my ring size and I can confidently say that a 2.5 is going to look beautiful - quite big mind you, but certainly not too big in my view.

Lucky girl! Can't wait to see what you decide on. :appl:

furs

Rough_Rock
I guess my next step is to reach out to Jonathan at Good Old Gold. Does anyone have any input on the quality of their settings. I'm the type of person that not only wants the setting done a certain way but wants to make sure that the quality of the metal and finial polish is second to none.

Also what's the timeline on the overall process?

furs

Rough_Rock
I think I've narrowed it down to Antique Cushion (modern style "ideal" cut) around 2.5 carats. Solitaire setting with 4 double claw prongs. The idea being to let the diamond do the talking and keep the ring itself fairly understated. For this reason I need the stone to be truly amazing.

I'm not sure if my GF would prefer microwave, but my thoughts are that I can offer to have it added (possibly meaning a new setting entirely) if she wants it.

I am not sure yet if I should get a stone from the same person that will make the setting or try and find it myself. Although I completely trust whoever I have working on the setting to source the best stone possible, I also understand that they are trying to do that same thing for a variety of other clients. My requirements for a stone are still quite high, F+ and VS2+

I suppose the question is should I just group purchasing the stone from the person doing the setting because I'll get a bit better pricing then (hopefully allowing me to get a nicer stone)? Also whats the reason for having a stone cut specifically for me, any benefit?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Furs,

You are getting great advice and direction (as always) here. I didn't see it mentioned - have you looked for your intended's Pinterest page? If she has one you may find an exact expression of what she is hoping for. She may have bridal magazines or articles dogged-eared, or loudly admired the ring of a friend or relative. Be sure to look for every possible sign.

You are doing Yoeman's work in parsing this all out, but iof there is a way to be sure you get her exactly what she wants - do exhaust those options.

furs

Rough_Rock
I wish I had more information on what my gf likes. We have not had many friends get married yet so I haven't heard her remark on too many rings. Although I know we both saw one that was an antique flower shape (metal flower with pave and then a round in the center) that we both despised.

I took a look at one of her other rings when she was in the shower and it seems like she's likely closer to a 6.5 size. I'll have to get a ring mandrel or something to measure her current ring for size. Is a ring mandrel the best way to find out the size of the ring she current wears?

I also order a ASET scope so I can better asses cushions in person. I certainly need to get a better understanding of how big a 2 or 2.5 carat is going to be. I know she won't want to over do on size, but I'd like to push that limit a little.

furs

Rough_Rock
I can't seem to find a side profile of those listed on VC. It seems like there is quite a premium for that European round shape when compared to the cushion shape. It looks like a 2 carat with my specifications is about 50K, almost twice a comparative cushion.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
furs|1456164219|3994032 said:
Sphene|1456132345|3993909 said:

I think that's above my budget and frankly the pricing seems high for a 2.5 Q VS1, although I'm more accustomed to cushion pricing since that's what I've been looking at recently.

Its a G and only $140 over your top budget - just thought you were considering other shapes my bad

furs

Rough_Rock
xxranda|1456265820|3994597 said:
I bought my diamond from this website. I really liked how they have videos of their diamonds and show the gia certification. they specialize in cushion brilliant cuts, so if your considering a cushion you should check them out. I came across this one that fits in your budget. Looks like a good stone.

http://www.cushionbrilliant.com/collections/all/products/2-01ct-g-vvs1

http://www.cushionbrilliant.com/collections/all/products/2-04

Hope this helps!!

The site looks good. Does anyone have any insight into how the cut of these diamonds compares to something like GOG August Vintage cut. These seem about $10K less expensive that what I've been looking at in the 2-3CT range from GOG.

I like the below diamond, but there isn't much info on the site. What are all of your assessments?

http://www.cushionbrilliant.com/collections/all/products/2-03ct-e-vs2

Also as a side note: how do Woman feel about getting a ring that has the designer (ring makers) name in it? Some of these handmade designers seems to have pretty big logos or even their entire name on the inside of the band. I feel strange giving a ring to my hopefully bride to be with another man's name on the inside.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey Furs,
As you said the ring is for her and she has to like it. If you get a cushion, not knowing what she likes, she might hate it.
Why not consider a round, I think you cannot go wrong with that and with your budget, it will look great.
Best of luck.

furs

Rough_Rock
WillyDiamond|1456351618|3995124 said:
Hey Furs,
As you said the ring is for her and she has to like it. If you get a cushion, not knowing what she likes, she might hate it.
Why not consider a round, I think you cannot go wrong with that and with your budget, it will look great.
Best of luck.

Do you really think that a cushion cut like the August Vintage is polarizing enough that someone might hate it over a RB? Rounds just seems so typical to me, and I dislike the way they often sit high in their settings (I know this is somethings that could be adjusted).

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The august vintage is a VERY specific cut. I would say it could be polarizing. A modern cut cushion would be safer if you aren't sure.

I 1000000000% prefer the August vintage cut, but I've heard some very negative things from people that don't.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results