shape
carat
color
clarity

New to the forum, just starting E-Ring Search

furs

Rough_Rock
I agree that the AVC is a very particular cut, but I guess the really question is do you think that most (as in more than 50%) of women would be thrilled to get a ring with a 2.5 ct, F VS2 August Vintage cushion. I know it might not be the most typical ring, but my thought is that it's nice enough she should be happy regardless.

She is not the fussy type so if the average person is happy with it, she'll likely be very happy. Also I find the idea of having a custom cut AVC somewhat romantic, and to be that adds to the appeal (I know I could have other shapes cuts as well though).

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about average haha. Do you work with any women? Maybe you can show them a picture and see what they think? Just to get an idea of what average in your area thinks.

I agree that custom cutting a diamond especially for her will increase the appeal. Does she put stock into what other people think? She might think it's cool but other people might say things like 'wow its kind of weird looking' - will that bother her?

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just a question - but can you share a bit more about why it's important to you to choose the engagement ring without gathering input from your partner? Particularly at your high budget, I wonder if you might want to bring her into the process.

I noticed in your description that it seems that your taste and hers don't match exactly (your preference for a sapphire, your comment that you don't love her preference of wearing several non-matched pieces of jewelry at once). Of course this is fine, and I'm certain you two could find something you both love - but I wonder if this "ups the risk" a bit of you choosing on your own?

The August Vintage stones are beautiful - and I agree that it's unlikely she'd dislike them. But what's your goal here?

As an example, the way you described your partner would easily describe me, and while I'd be happy to receive a beautiful 2ct AVC solitaire, what would make my heart sing is an asscher or chubby emerald in a very delicate halo.

Of course your partner is not me, and I bring up my own preferences just as an example to help you consider whether bringing her into the decision making process might help you both get a better result?

If you wanted to keep the engagement a surprise, there are a lot of things you could do:
Propose ring-less
Propose with a high quality fake (e.g., spend $250 on a high quality CZ she could wear for the weeks it takes you to jointly decide on her permanent ring)
Have a serious conversation (with pictures) about her preferences but do not look at actual stones / settings together

Please understand that my comments are not meant to suggest that your taste or your choosing is lacking - more to explore an idea that might help you and your partner both feel incredible about this special purchase.

Good luck!

furs

Rough_Rock
Tuckie,

You raise a lot of good points and I'll do my best to address all of them.

I want to keep this as a surprise and not involve her in the process partially because she will be very uncomfortable with knowing cost, and the premium associated with some of my options. For instance I'm sure if she knew I could save 50% by going to a non-branded modified cushion, in J color with eye clean SI1 she would want me to do that.

That said her financial position is different from my own, and I hate the idea of getting her anything less than I feel she deserves. She certainly likes when I get her nice things, but I know she would rather not know about cost. I think it's somewhat impossible to involve her in the ring selection process without her short changing herself. Everyone has a good sense that nicer bigger and better usually equates to more expensive. I know if she picked a ring it would likely be a 1 ct, RB solitaire, but I also know that's not what she'd really want.

My goal with the August Vintage: I personally find a typical round to be to plain and ordinary, every girl I see day to day has one. I just feel that the historic vibe of a cushion better suits my own impression of my gf. Classy, elegant, historic but in the case of the August Vintage- a modern interpretation that is "ideal" in today's world.

I hate the idea of proposing ring-less, and know that she would be less happy with it as well. One of her best friends recently got engaged in that fashion and we both commented that "he didn't even have a ring."

I have thought about having conversation with her using pictures, but at the same time I feel that only way that I can see if she will like the AVC is for me to give her the full story behind it, which ruins a lot of it for me.

I have certainly though about asking one of my female friends, but they still don't know her style or her that well. I don't want to ask any of her friends, because I don't trust them to keep the secret and since most of them are single I just don't feel that they would handle the situation or conversation well. To put it bluntly I feel this is a really important interaction and I don't involve anyone else if I can avoid it. I've always learned that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

I feel I know her well enough to know that she will appreciate the complete surprise, even if I don't know her ring taste well enough...

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If all else fails, check with GOG if they will take back a custom cut. I'm thinking that they would, being that it's a premium line and they would have no problem selling it.

If that is what your heart says, then go with it.

furs

Rough_Rock
In the case of a custom cut they would not be able to take it back, but could put it on consignment. They would be able to work with me though in finding something else.

I'm meeting with SK next week and from that I should have a better understanding of styles and therefore stones and sizes as well.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Cheers, fur.
I can understand that you don't want to bring your partner in too closely given she won't have the same ideas on budget as you do - understood. I think it's kind that you want to exceed her expectations on this.
I would still suggest some gentle discussion about diamond shape broadly (if all else were equal, does she want round brilliant, cushion, emerald, etc.)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1456415896|3995545 said:
The august vintage is a VERY specific cut. I would say it could be polarizing. A modern cut cushion would be safer if you aren't sure.

I 1000000000% prefer the August vintage cut, but I've heard some very negative things from people that don't.
I'm not an expert or long time poster but I'll put my hand up as being one of the people who doesn't like the AVC - there's something about the central facets that I don't like, like they're too broad and always remind me of a windmill. I do however LOVE love love the AVR - my general preference is for OECs so anything which has the chunky faceting of an OEC but optimal light performance is pretty much perfect.
You can square off a round with the setting if you like the squarer look of a cushion - my engagement ring is an OEC in fishtail prongs which gives it a very square/non-round appearance.

furs

Rough_Rock
Does anyone else not like the AVC? Now that you mention windmills I can't stop seeing them in every ring I see. Do others also dislike the AVC cut?

I will plan on looking at more typical vintage cushions with SK but will likely still take a look at the AVC to be sure. If I do go the route of a custom cut version will take at least 2 months. This cuts my planned timeline pretty short.

Lenapie

Rough_Rock
You can check out the AVC Stars. The maltese cross is less prominent in those ones. It's a subtle change in the faceting, but I think it produces quite a significant difference in how the stone looks. I was also watching Jon's latest video, and in it he was saying how there are going to be new August Vintage styles coming out. Maybe you could ask him about that? :)

furs

Rough_Rock
Are newly "ideal" cut with optimized lighting really worth the huge premium? If I end up not likely the AVC should I not just look for a good older cushion that looks good under an ASET scope?

Also if I do look at more traditional cuts, is there a way to know the history of the diamond. It might sound silly but I'd rather it be a new diamond that one that was repurposed from another ring or something.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mined diamonds are 1 billion years old. No diamond you get is going to be 'new'.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
furs|1456551408|3996464 said:
Are newly "ideal" cut with optimized lighting really worth the huge premium? If I end up not likely the AVC should I not just look for a good older cushion that looks good under an ASET scope?

Also if I do look at more traditional cuts, is there a way to know the history of the diamond. It might sound silly but I'd rather it be a new diamond that one that was repurposed from another ring or something.

Not really - any stone can be resubmitted to a lab and given a new cert... and voila! a "new" stone!

Older, truly vintage stones were cut differently - rose, old mine, OEC, and transitional cuts often give them selves away in their faceting patterns and lack of symmetry to the degree we expect to see it in newly cut stones.

The only way you'll know a stone is truly "new" is to get the rough cut for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results