shape
carat
color
clarity

New to PS -- aged in gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Hi Roger, I''m glad to see you!
35.gif

Love your Morganite avatar!
30.gif

Lori

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/23/2009 1:02:31 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Welcome! I am amzaed by the calibre of posters here in PS and I am sure you will be another valued contributor.
Lady Disdain,
What a fun name/handle you have! I find myself smiling when I see your name
18.gif

Thanks for the welcome.... I hope I can live up to expectations as I see there are many well-informed gem folk on PS.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Welcome welcome! The Morganite is lovely and can''t wait to see what else you show us.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 2:33:56 PM
Author: cushioncutnut

Date: 5/23/2009 12:53:45 PM
Author: Cind11

Date: 5/23/2009 9:52:01 AM
Hello Roger and welcome to the forum. You may not remember me, but last year, you were in Kettering, OHIO and my husband I were lucky enough to meet you! We met you at a gemstone showing/bidding through Ted Herzog. I really enjoyed seeing all the beautiful gems you brought in and how you faceted some of them! I still can''t get that gorgeous blue zircon out of my head! Nice to see that you will be chiming in and sharing some of your gems on the forum. The morganite is just gorgeous! What a lovely paperweight that would make!
3.gif
Hey cushioncutnut, I live in Ohio! Do you live here too? Sometimes it seems no one from PS lives here but me!

I sure do! Whereabouts are you from? I live close to Dayton!
I am in Huron which is right on Lake Erie. I live about 15 minutes away from Cedar Point Amusemaent Park. We don''t get to Dayton much, but we do go to Columbus occasionally.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 4:26:48 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 5/23/2009 2:33:56 PM
I sure do! Whereabouts are you from? I live close to Dayton!
Hey, I used to live in Ann Arbor!
My DH and I go to the Ann Arbor art fair every summer. Ann Arbor''s a great city!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome Roger!!!!!! Love that Morganite, it''s gorgeous. Loved looking at all of your beautiful gems, they had me drooling.

Linda

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chrono -- thanks for the welcome.
Lauren -- thank you, can see there are some topics I should have responded to....
TL -- thanks, the mint Garnet was a very bright stone, even in very low light. It has since sold, though.
You were thinking of this one?

Lg-GreenGrossularAntCu_5_53ct.jpg

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Harriet -- stated: "I love that flame spinel you have on your website. The "sold" sign keeps taunting me."
Thank you, I assume you were thinking of this one?
(photo credit due to my friend Richard Homer - as he offered to do it as a favor)

RedSpinelRd432.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
those are heavenly Roger! Of course they sold!!!!!

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Richard -- thanks for the welcome.
Icekid -- thank you!
LtlFirecracker -- thanks
Catmom -- thanks
loriken214 -- thanks

Really appreciate the warm welcome everyone.

Warmest regards,

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2009 8:56:52 AM
Author: Roger Dery
Chrono -- thanks for the welcome.
Lauren -- thank you, can see there are some topics I should have responded to....
TL -- thanks, the mint Garnet was a very bright stone, even in very low light. It has since sold, though.
You were thinking of this one?
Yep, that''s it.
30.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Roger!

I can't wait to read more about your travels. I'd specifically love to hear more about your time in Sri Lanka. My husband and I have been talking about traveling there for awhile now. I need to go!!

The antique cushion cut peridot on your site is lovely. Looking forward to seeing more of your gems.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 9:05:32 AM

Harriet -- stated: ''I love that flame spinel you have on your website. The ''sold'' sign keeps taunting me.''
Thank you, I assume you were thinking of this one?
(photo credit due to my friend Richard Homer - as he offered to do it as a favor)
Roger,
Yes! Great colour, cut and size. Please stop breaking my heart.

Cushioncutnut,
I''d love to meet you, but I''ve left the midwest.

Cind11,
Ann Arbor is a nice college town.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hello Roger,

Thank you for coming to Pricescope. I love looking at all of your gems.

And I have to tell you, that Morganite is quite the most spectacular thing of beauty I have ever seen. The colour is fabulous. I have also seen Wink''s video of it, and I am in awe! You are amongst at whole host of asscher lovers here.

I also really loved that pair of natural aquamarine asschers that you submitted to Spectrum this year - just fabulous!

I asked a colleague of yours to pass on my comments about your morganite asscher to you when you were at Tuscon. I told him that had it not been the size of a cornerstone for a house, that I would have snapped your hand off for it. I hope he passed on my enthusiasm to you.

I am looking forward to reading your posts and seeing your stones. Oh, and hearing about your summer plans
emwink.gif

Very warm regards

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 9:11:24 AM

Date: 5/23/2009 8:58:23 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Welcome!

We are always glad to welcome passionate and knowledgeable professionals to the boards! I''m sure I''m not the only one who anxiously awaits the goodies you and your cohorts will be bringing back after your next trip!

That is a stunning morganite! I''m assuming you faceted that yourself?
Hi MTG,
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am the cutter, although I can not take credit for the photo. It was performed by a friend of mine, Jeffrey Hunt of northern CA. The rough came from Madagascar in 2008, and it was a honker. From the same piece, there was another 17ct Asscher cut! It too, was awesome.
Roger, do you have pictures of the 17ct? We love photos at PS, come prepared!!

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/24/2009 10:06:15 AM
Author: coatimundi
Welcome Roger!

I can''t wait to read more about your travels. I''d specifically love to hear more about your time in Sri Lanka. My husband and I have been talking about traveling there for awhile now. I need to go!!

The antique cushion cut peridot on your site is lovely. Looking forward to seeing more of your gems.
Coati,
Searching for gem rough is my other passion, so I''ve lots to share about travel. I am fearful though, that sharing travel stories may take away from what this particular forum is for. We''ll see how it works out and whether it is appropriate. But thanks for asking.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/24/2009 9:23:18 PM
Author: Gailey
Hello Roger,

Thank you for coming to Pricescope. I love looking at all of your gems.

And I have to tell you, that Morganite is quite the most spectacular thing of beauty I have ever seen. The colour is fabulous. I have also seen Wink''s video of it, and I am in awe! You are amongst at whole host of asscher lovers here.

I also really loved that pair of natural aquamarine asschers that you submitted to Spectrum this year - just fabulous!

I asked a colleague of yours to pass on my comments about your morganite asscher to you when you were at Tuscon. I told him that had it not been the size of a cornerstone for a house, that I would have snapped your hand off for it. I hope he passed on my enthusiasm to you.

I am looking forward to reading your posts and seeing your stones. Oh, and hearing about your summer plans
emwink.gif

Very warm regards
Gailey, thank you for the very warm welcome. Wink was kind enough to spend time taking some video of the large Morganite Asscher. I believe there is access to it on his website - though I have not checked that myself. As for the matching Aqua Asschers, I think they may be too large for most lady''s. And so I still have them.

I did receive an enthusiastic comment from a colleague some time ago, but I really didn''t have any context to place it in. Sorry! Much appreciated none the less.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2009 10:59:52 PM
Coati,
Searching for gem rough is my other passion, so I''ve lots to share about travel. I am fearful though, that sharing travel stories may take away from what this particular forum is for. We''ll see how it works out and whether it is appropriate. But thanks for asking.
We can excuse the travel stories as learning about gemstone mining and rough buying - they are still related and relevant to gemstones, right?
31.gif

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gailey,
You asked: "Roger, do you have pictures of the 17ct? We love photos at PS, come prepared!! "
Yes, I do have a pic. However, it was sold last year during an event at a retailer in St Johns Newfoundland. And I am still waiting for pictures of the final piece. Here it is....

Morganite17_73ctAsscher.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 11:18:37 PM
Gailey,
You asked: ''Roger, do you have pictures of the 17ct? We love photos at PS, come prepared!! ''
Yes, I do have a pic. However, it was sold last year during an event at a retailer in St Johns Newfoundland. And I am still waiting for pictures of the final piece. Here it is....
Be still my beating heart! (Gailey picks herself up of floor!)

Gorgeous Roger. Cut em a bit smaller in that colour and you''ll be able to retire next year - eh ladies?

As for those aqua asschers - gorgeous, but I don''t need my ear lobes sinking to my knees - I''m at that unfortunate age you see!

Ah, I see you come to Canada. Calgary is very nice at this time of year and we have a gal out here who likes her rocks big - eh Canuk? Perhaps we will be able to persuade you to head out West sometime in the future.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 9:11:24 AM

Date: 5/23/2009 8:58:23 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Welcome!

We are always glad to welcome passionate and knowledgeable professionals to the boards! I''m sure I''m not the only one who anxiously awaits the goodies you and your cohorts will be bringing back after your next trip!

That is a stunning morganite! I''m assuming you faceted that yourself?
Hi MTG,
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am the cutter, although I can not take credit for the photo. It was performed by a friend of mine, Jeffrey Hunt of northern CA. The rough came from Madagascar in 2008, and it was a honker. From the same piece, there was another 17ct Asscher cut! It too, was awesome.
And speaking of Jeff Hunt, I expect Roger is to bashful to plug this wonderful new website, but I will.

Lots of eye candy, photographed so beautifully is to be had at One World Gemstone

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Case in point, 7.57 gorgeous pink tourmaline cts, cut by the very talented Mr Dery. I suppose this one''s been snapped up?

Dery tourmaline.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 8:38:19 AM
Author:Roger Dery
Hello Gemaholics!

I am new to Pricescope, but have been lurking a bit to see if there are areas where I can contribute. Hopefully what I have to share is of some value.

Began in the gem trade in 1981, and due to some unusual circumstances, took up faceting in 2001. Even though gems are how I make my living, they are also where my passion is. Of course, if one is passionate about gemstones, one is also passionate about finding them! And there lies my other interest, going to unusual places around the world to locate them -- in the rough. In the last ten years I have made 7 trips to Africa, and the search continues as next month I will be traveling there again with two cohorts, Peter Torraca and Gene Flanigan - which I believe some of you may know.

I have also traveled to visit mining and gem markets in India, Sri Lanka, South America, SE Asia and Madagascar, but currently Tanzania is the next location. I am very certain that the three of us will bring back some very nice goodies! (Yeah, I know, you all will want to see pictures....
9.gif
)

You took the words right out of my mouth. Also I'd like to see pictures of Tanzania if possible. Welcome!

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chrono,
You stated: "We can excuse the travel stories as learning about gemstone mining and rough buying - they are still related and relevant to gemstones, right?"
And Coatimundi stated: "I can''t wait to read more about your travels."

So, I could put something together, but I think it may be better suited in its own thread? Yes? I have very few pictures from Sri Lanka, but have a good amount from the African trips - Namibia, Madagascar and then Tanzania. This may require some digging, but is do-able.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. My. Gosh. That spinel is making my head spin. It''s so beautiful.
3.gif
3.gif
30.gif

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Gailey,
You stated: "Case in point, 7.57 gorgeous pink tourmaline cts, cut by the very talented Mr Dery. I suppose this one''s been snapped up?"

Yes, it has a new home in Ottawa.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 8:51:02 AM
Hi Gailey,

You stated: ''Case in point, 7.57 gorgeous pink tourmaline cts, cut by the very talented Mr Dery. I suppose this one''s been snapped up?''

Yes, it has a new home in Ottawa.
Hi Roger,

Welcome to PS!
35.gif

If you want to quote what someone said, or respond to their comment, there is a "quote" button on the reply page. It will automatically post what you want to reply to. So, for example, if you want to reply to this message, you would click on the reply button above this message, and then click on quote above the reply box.

Hope this helps!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 8:43:55 AM
Chrono,

You stated: ''We can excuse the travel stories as learning about gemstone mining and rough buying - they are still related and relevant to gemstones, right?''

And Coatimundi stated: ''I can''t wait to read more about your travels.''

So, I could put something together, but I think it may be better suited in its own thread? Yes? I have very few pictures from Sri Lanka, but have a good amount from the African trips - Namibia, Madagascar and then Tanzania. This may require some digging, but is do-able.

Yes! And thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Rodger! Your pieces are to die for! I can''t wait to hear about your world travels and the treasures you find!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 12:28:48 AM
Author: Gailey
Case in point, 7.57 gorgeous pink tourmaline cts, cut by the very talented Mr Dery. I suppose this one''s been snapped up?
Oh my word! That stone brought a tear to my eye.
30.gif

Welcome! I can hardly wait to see more stones and hear of your travels and experiences.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results