shape
carat
color
clarity

New to PS -- aged in gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello Gemaholics!
I am new to Pricescope, but have been lurking a bit to see if there are areas where I can contribute. Hopefully what I have to share is of some value.

Began in the gem trade in 1981, and due to some unusual circumstances, took up faceting in 2001. Even though gems are how I make my living, they are also where my passion is. Of course, if one is passionate about gemstones, one is also passionate about finding them! And there lies my other interest, going to unusual places around the world to locate them -- in the rough. In the last ten years I have made 7 trips to Africa, and the search continues as next month I will be traveling there again with two cohorts, Peter Torraca and Gene Flanigan - which I believe some of you may know.

I have also traveled to visit mining and gem markets in India, Sri Lanka, South America, SE Asia and Madagascar, but currently Tanzania is the next location. I am very certain that the three of us will bring back some very nice goodies! (Yeah, I know, you all will want to see pictures....
9.gif
)

So here''s a pic of one of my recent favorites. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Lg-Morganite32_77ct_Asscher.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

We are always glad to welcome passionate and knowledgeable professionals to the boards! I''m sure I''m not the only one who anxiously awaits the goodies you and your cohorts will be bringing back after your next trip!

That is a stunning morganite! I''m assuming you faceted that yourself?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi Roger, I'm looking forward to reading about your gem experiences.
35.gif

The morganite is very elegant and beautiful, it'll look great as a centrepiece for a necklace.
30.gif

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/23/2009 8:58:23 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Welcome!

We are always glad to welcome passionate and knowledgeable professionals to the boards! I''m sure I''m not the only one who anxiously awaits the goodies you and your cohorts will be bringing back after your next trip!

That is a stunning morganite! I''m assuming you faceted that yourself?
Hi MTG,
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am the cutter, although I can not take credit for the photo. It was performed by a friend of mine, Jeffrey Hunt of northern CA. The rough came from Madagascar in 2008, and it was a honker. From the same piece, there was another 17ct Asscher cut! It too, was awesome.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/23/2009 9:02:34 AM
Author: Lovinggems
Hi Roger, I''m looking forward to reading about your gem experiences.
35.gif

The morganite is very elegant and beautiful, it''ll look great as a centrepiece for a necklace.
30.gif
Lovinggems,
Well, I have lots of "gem experiences", and some are very funny. I''ll share some from time to time. As for the Morganite, it has not found a home yet, though I''m sure it will make a great centerpiece.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Love the Morganite! How neat to be able to travel around in search of such beautiful gems! Looking forward to what you have to show us!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Roger! It''s always fun when the experts weigh in, so I''m already looking forward to your comments on PS. Also, I was just reading part of your blog on your latest Africa trip - very interesting! I especially liked seeing the Umba River mining camp. It looks like exhausting work though, and it''s funny how pictures just can''t capture the heat that I''m sure you endured.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Cind11,
Thanks. When I started in the trade I had no idea I would travel as much as I do. Great fun, and great experiences in other cultures.

Cellentani,
We were in Tanzania during their summer. It was hot by my standards living in Michigan. It was also fairly dry, not truly desert-like, but not humid so it wasn''t so bad. Highest temperature during our time at the camp was around 95*F. Which, after swinging a pick-axe for a half hour, it was near unbearable. The locals made us look bad though, as they were accustomed to this kind of work. I''m looking forward to going back, but I''m going to skip the camp!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Roger and welcome to the forum. You may not remember me, but last year, you were in Kettering, OHIO and my husband I were lucky enough to meet you! We met you at a gemstone showing/bidding through Ted Herzog. I really enjoyed seeing all the beautiful gems you brought in and how you faceted some of them! I still can''t get that gorgeous blue zircon out of my head! Nice to see that you will be chiming in and sharing some of your gems on the forum. The morganite is just gorgeous! What a lovely paperweight that would make!
3.gif

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi CCN,
That was a wild night at Ted''s roundtable! Hope you had as much fun as Ginger and I. As you may recall, Jacob and Katie ended up with the 6.30ct Blue Zircon oval. Not to worry though, there will be more. Good to hear from you.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope. The morganite is gorgeous!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hi Roger and Welcome! I''m pretty sure I''ve met you and your wife in San Francisco. I looked at your gems, maybe two years ago. Your wife had pearl and zircon earrings on.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I love the photo you posted of the morganite!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS. It will be good to have another expert on board. Lovely stone you cut!

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi marcyc, innerkitten and StoneHunter,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope my contributions offer some value to all passionate PS gem lovers.

innerkitten,
Great memory you have! My wife enjoys her earrings almost as much I did having them made.

And thanks to all for your commentary on the Morganite, it is much appreciated.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 9:52:01 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
Hello Roger and welcome to the forum. You may not remember me, but last year, you were in Kettering, OHIO and my husband I were lucky enough to meet you! We met you at a gemstone showing/bidding through Ted Herzog. I really enjoyed seeing all the beautiful gems you brought in and how you faceted some of them! I still can''t get that gorgeous blue zircon out of my head! Nice to see that you will be chiming in and sharing some of your gems on the forum. The morganite is just gorgeous! What a lovely paperweight that would make!
3.gif
Hey cushioncutnut, I live in Ohio! Do you live here too? Sometimes it seems no one from PS lives here but me!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Welcome! I am amzaed by the calibre of posters here in PS and I am sure you will be another valued contributor.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 10:07:05 AM
Author: Roger Dery
Hi CCN,
That was a wild night at Ted''s roundtable! Hope you had as much fun as Ginger and I. As you may recall, Jacob and Katie ended up with the 6.30ct Blue Zircon oval. Not to worry though, there will be more. Good to hear from you.

I had noooo idea they got that dreamy blue zircon! I told them that the color was like no one that I have ever seen and they would be hard pressed to find another!!! GOOD for them! I will have to ask Ted about this! I saw it still listed on your website not too long ago, so I didn''t think anyone purchased it! If you remember, I nicknamed it "The Blue Lagoon"! LOL! Congratulations to Jacob and Katie! I hope to run into them to see how they had it set!!! Your wife was a real sweetheart too. Lucky Lady!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roger,
Welcome to Pricescope and I am delighted you have joined us here. I have long admired your cutting and selection of gemstones.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 12:53:45 PM
Author: Cind11

Date: 5/23/2009 9:52:01 AM
3.gif
Hey cushioncutnut, I live in Ohio! Do you live here too? Sometimes it seems no one from PS lives here but me!

I sure do! Whereabouts are you from? I live close to Dayton!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 11:07:55 AM
Author: innerkitten
Hi Roger and Welcome! I''m pretty sure I''ve met you and your wife in San Francisco. I looked at your gems, maybe two years ago. Your wife had pearl and zircon earrings on.

How cool! What a small world!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Roger! What a great introduction, and you seem to keep great company! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Roger,
Nice to see you on PS. I like your mint garnet on your website. Nice picture of that stone. Is it really that bright in person?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome Roger! I love that flame spinel you have on your website. The "sold" sign keeps taunting me.
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 2:33:56 PM
Hey, I used to live in Ann Arbor!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 2:24:38 PM
Author: Chrono
Roger,

Welcome to Pricescope and I am delighted you have joined us here. I have long admired your cutting and selection of gemstones.

Ditto! Your sites is one of my favorites for drooling, Roger. So glad to have you here, imparting your knowledge. The asscher is phenomenal!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 4:26:48 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 5/23/2009 2:33:56 PM
Hey, I used to live in Ann Arbor!

LOL! Close enough! We can meet in the middle and have a gemstone party! I will have wine and gemstones!! LOL!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hi
35.gif
, sounds like you have a lot to contribute. I am excited we have another expert on the forum. I just went though your sites. You have some killer stones.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Roger, welcome to the gem asylum!!
35.gif

We are lucky when another professional joins us. Your morganite is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results