shape
carat
color
clarity

New to OEC''s, advice on a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I am getting a new engagement ring (long story about the Natural Sapphire Company on that one! Another post...), and I just discovered Antique Cuts! They are fabulous, and add the character to diamonds I have always craved.

I've been looking at stones on Old World Diamonds, because it seems like they have a really good selection. There's one I really like, but I want to get some opinions on it. I've attached a picture(I think, tell me if I did it wrong!), but, of course, the pics on this website really don't seem to do the stones justice compared to the pictures I see people posting on this website!

Here's the stats:
2.10 Carats
VLY color
I1 inclusion
8.49*8.34*4.6mm
54.8 depth
44 table
Good polish
Good symmetry
vtn girdle
medium culet

I really like warmer colors, oddly enough--especially on these antique cuts!-- and I don't care much about inclusions unless they are very visible in normal light. I really like the size of this one, and the warm quality, and the cut looks nice to me (from all that I know about OEC's, which are very new to me!).

I see that there is a chip, and that the girdle is very thin, which isn't good. It looks like maybe that chip could be covered up by the setting, which would be fine with me. And, I could always get the girdle re-cut a little.

Opinions? Other things to look for in stones that I am missing?

bigOEC.JPG

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe it's just me or the picture, but I don't think it's a good looking stone. but some other posters will be along eventually to give their opinions.

It looks fish-eyed, to me, actually, but it supposedly has a VT girdle, so I may be mistaken.

Also, I think those inclusions would be visible...

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s very difficult to select old cuts based on one photo and specs alone. Each one is so utterly unique that different stones will "speak" to different people.

That being said, given the chips and clarity of the diamond above, I encourage you to contact OWD and speak to someone there to help in your selection. Describe what you are looking for and allow them to make specific stone recommendations - important to have a pair of eyes helping you when shopping online. It''s possible there may be other stones without photos that are better candidates, or perhaps the stone you identified above is indeed the perfect one for you.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
From that photo, it looks like the chip may be much more serious than just a bite taken out of the girdle. I''m seeing opaque-looking stripes extending down from it and reflecting in the stone. Could the chip be extending into the pavilion?

I''m a big fan of I1 clarity and I don''t much mind chips that can be covered. (here''s a thread about my Infinity I1.) But at least in that picture, the stone you''re considering looks too damaged even for me.

However, it''s impossible to tell from one photo. I could easily be wrong.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, talk to Adam at OWD and ask for more pictures, but based on that one I would probably pass on that stone. Doesn''t look great.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the great comments--these are the sort of things i needed to hear!

I do wonder about the things that look like opaque streaks. I would just think that if there were indeed 2 opaque streaks on the stone, it would be graded worse than an I1. But, who knows, I certainly am new to how this stuff works (in detail, anyway).

I have written to Old world diamonds about this stone and a couple of others--haven't heard back yet. Does OWD have a good reputation? I just had a very bad experience with the natural sapphire co., so I am wary to buy online again. But, I live in a small town/state with 0 OEC/OMC diamond resources "in person."

Also, one more thing--what does it mean for a stone to be "fish eyed"?

Thanks, and if anybody has advice of other places to look for stones, let me know!
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
An I1 stone is often fairly included...only rarely are they eyeclean.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A "Fish Eye" is when a stone has an opaque ring near the center- which looks quite like...well, a Fishes eye!

I''m also a big fan of I1 diamonds- because they are so affordable.
I like to find ones that have non offensive imperfections.
The nature of an imperfection can make a big difference on whether or not it''s very detrimental.
For example as a rule, black carbon is thought to be undesirable.
Sometimes black carbon is very bad- you can see it.
In other cases, a black imperfection seems to blend into the diamond, while a white imperfection might actually be worse.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's too many things bothering me about this stone:
1. Really large chip; it's so large that I'm not sure it can be fully hidden by a prong (this could be the reason for the I1 rating)
2. Some strange opaque "things" across the diamond
3. Can't quite see the cut on the OEC.
4. Extremely shallow at 54% depth which could account for the fish eye (weird thing in the center)

Having a very thin girdle is extremely common in old cut stones.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about OEC''s but that chip bugs me as well as the opaque thing going on. It''s also difficult to see tha patterning on it. Not sure why?

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for the info and feedback--if there is more, keep it coming!

I kind of wonder if this stone would look better from a different angle, it seems like a weird angle to view it from--as you said, you can''t see the pattern very well. However, it has a lot of flaws and I could probably find something better (though, definitely not as big)

Thanks for the info on I1''s, I have definitely noticed in pictures of these old cuts that I1s aren''t as bad as they are in modern cuts. And, as you said, it depends on where/what the inclusion is.

I''ve just been looking on oldworlddiamonds.com, any other advice of places to look? (there''s no where local)

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
www.jewelsbyericagrace.com

They have lots of lovely stuff.. most of which I''ve seen in person. Gorgeous stones and finished rings! Erica and Grace are so patient and helpful!!

My boyfriend has also purchased from Oldworlddiamonds and was happy with the service and the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results