shape
carat
color
clarity

New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first!

dklaus2284

Rough_Rock
I tried the link for the Swiss gem lab and it seems to be corrupted? It didn’t take me to where i thought it would take me.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would sense to update this info to include the fact that many sellers advertise treated gems as "natural" as to distinguish from synthetic, but natural in and of itself does not mean UNTREATED. A "natural" glass-filled ruby or irradiated sapphire is not worth much. I still see even seasoned PS-ers overpaying for "natural" stones when the proper questions haven't been asked/answered. IMO this is the most important piece of info people should know before making a colored gem purchase, and should be at the top of this sticky note.

Anawaugh

Rough_Rock
Great Post.Keep it up!

m mirzadeh

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Please advise me about the price of this diamond

Cut: modified kite step

10.20 carat

Fancy Brown-Yellow, Even

Clarity: i2

GIA Report Number: 534394669

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

Please advise me about the price of this diamond

Cut: modified kite step

10.20 carat

Fancy Brown-Yellow, Even

Clarity: i2

GIA Report Number: 534394669
Please start your own thread.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would sense to update this info to include the fact that many sellers advertise treated gems as "natural" as to distinguish from synthetic, but natural in and of itself does not mean UNTREATED. A "natural" glass-filled ruby or irradiated sapphire is not worth much. I still see even seasoned PS-ers overpaying for "natural" stones when the proper questions haven't been asked/answered. IMO this is the most important piece of info people should know before making a colored gem purchase, and should be at the top of this sticky note.

It’s already there. Look under the section about treatments. It says to ask all the questions but then to verify via a lab.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
It’s already there. Look under the section about treatments. It says to ask all the questions but then to verify via a lab.

Respectfully, I did read it. That's why I commented. I understand the distinction between natural vs natural AND untreated, but it's not spelled out that clearly here absent my supplement. There is an assumption among many people that natural means untreated, when unfortunately, most of the time, it does not. Sellers are purposefully using language in order to deceive unknowing customers. There are plenty of times when a lab report isn't worth it, but it's always worth it to ask if a "natural" gem is also untreated. Using the word "natural" to describe a highly treated gem is a relatively new practice meriting attention.

Last edited:

cynoulet

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this informative thread! Really helps a newbie like me take the plunge =)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following the recent discussions on what constitutes to "eye clean" in Sapphire, perhaps this thread could be updated with more information on this subject matter.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results