shape
carat
color
clarity

New small OEC-can you help me with the math?

SparkleFest

Shiny_Rock
I have recently purchased a GORGEOUS small-stone OEC ring. Oh my, this stone is just wonderful. Anyway, it was sold as center stone being 4.3 x 2.85 mm deep, - .33 ct in size.

As an aside, I estimate the crown angle is 1.5 mm.

Is the depth percentage found by dividing in this case 2.85 x 4.3? If so, it would be .66

Do I have that right?

Also, at what level of magnification does one determine clarity? Is that on an individual basis or is there a standard on that?

I am so enthralled with this stone. Sold as VS2, it is just as clear as can be but I don't have much magnification yet, no loupe to check. H or I color so you can imagine the sparkle. No nicks anywhere I can tell either! I will be planning on a larger OEC purchase later down the road.

Thank you in advance and for all your help on this site! I know you all usually deal with larger stones, but I have to start somewhere!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The math looks right, but if the crown height is actually 1.4 mm the depth drops to 63%, so this is not something you can do without some serious tools.

Clarity is graded at 10X, but there's a whole process to it.

If you really want to know, I'm afraid you'll need to pay someone trained to look at it, which isn't a bad idea in any case. Or, just relax and enjoy the flash.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crown angle is measured in degrees, but crown height is measured in millimetres.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results