shape
carat
color
clarity

New shots in my inbox

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to wait until the entire project is completed and the piece is in my hands before posting pictures, but some new shots arrived in my inbox today and I don't think it's fair to hold off any longer. :lol: Special thanks to faegrace and bright ice for pointing me in the right direction. 8-)

First, Jeff's shots:
before.png
after.png

Initially, Jeff did not think that the rough was deep enough for some of his square cushion designs, and I was also open to a more rectangular cut. But after he preformed the rough he recommended this cut as the best option. The design is very deep ... ~90%.

And now, today's new shots:
BrianGavin_Aqua1b_091911.jpg
BrianGavin_Aqua2b_091911.jpg
BrianGavin_Aqua3b_091911.jpg
BrianGavin_Aqua4b_091911.jpg

I have no idea who's photos are more accurate for color as I have not seen the stone in person yet, but I think my SO should be happy with either rendition or any of the variations in between.

Now for the bad news. I originally planned to put the aqua in a bezel pendant, but Brian has advised that there's a pretty high chance of damage during the setting process, given the steep pavilion and thin girdle in some spots. Brian suggests using 4 split claw prongs instead.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to set the stone?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Holy mother of aqua :-o :o What are the stats?

I'm totally in love. I might have to contact the cutter now to see if there is more rough because I want to join the Aqua train of love :love:

I'm so jealous!!!!!! and as far as settings I actually think the double claw prong would be better. To me that goes more with the antique cushion cut vs. a bezel but that is just my .02 cents.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Yummy!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! But I am somewhat biased here. I would go with the claw prongs. It's a beautiful color :love: I think you will find Jeff's photos to be more accurate.

I look forward to see how you set it!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow, it's gorgeous!!!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the pretty blue color in both lightings!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a beautiful aqua. I can't wait to see it when you get it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting! It's so pretty.

amertrine

Rough_Rock
seriously pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful rich colour. Jeff had to cut such a deep design for several reasons: namely the low RI of aquamarine "forced" his hand. The extra depth of the stone will enhance the tone of the stone, plus the high crown and busier design of the cut will give the stone more sparkle, and lessen any chance of the usually easily seen window tilt that aquamarines are infamous for.

What is the mm measurement of the stone?
Are you planning to halo the stone or will it be a drop design with an accent stone?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Stats are 10.3 mm and 5.75 ct. When I first contacted Jeff in June, he said he has several really nice pieces from Nigeria that cut in the 3-6 ct range. He also showed me a piece from Brazil that he thinks can cut ~15 mm in his AGTA design. Sadly, the color did not match what I was looking for. If anyone gets it please please please post lots of pictures! :lickout:

Thanks for all the comments! If it looks anything close to either set of pictures in person I would be absolutely thrilled. Jeff did say that it is an extremely nice stone in terms of color before I asked him to send it directly to Brian, and Lesley confirms that it is very beautiful. I can't wait to see this project completed!

The aqua is going into an everyday pendant. I was considering a bezel setting thinking that it may offer the stone some protection from accidental knocks during daily wear. But if it's too risky during the setting process, it somewhat defeats the purpose. The original plan was for a modified Barbara Pendant http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5352 , but I'm now somewhat back to the drawing board. And after looking at more double/split claw prong designs, I have to agree that they suit the cut of the stone more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double claw prongs is going to be perfect for your new aquamarine!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, what a beautiful aqua!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to follow your thread closely. I "may" have to have a pendant myself for mine. We will see what BGD does with yours ;))

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
that aqua is gorgeous!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's going to be stunning! Knockout aqua -- what cutting!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, Jeff White is amazing! I absolutely love the color and the cutting. Applause, please. :appl: :appl:

I agree that prongs are more consistent with the stone cutting than would be a bezel, but I have one question re the cast. Are the prongs going to come together and stay together, or will the cast/design be refined to split the prongs apart at the top?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1318107022|3036136 said:
I agree that prongs are more consistent with the stone cutting than would be a bezel, but I have one question re the cast. Are the prongs going to come together and stay together, or will the cast/design be refined to split the prongs apart at the top?

Split claw prongs at the top. 8-)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks really nice. I can't wait to see the completed project. It suits the stone very well.

I am waiting to set my Aqua from JW so I am watching your thread closely :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yippee! I love split claw prongs!

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous Stone! :lickout:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
:appl: :love: :love: that aqua is amazing!!! congrats, you have a real beauty!

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
wow! Can't wait to see that finished and on your hand!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I should be picking this up next week. :lickout: Hopefully it'll look as nice in person!

1975_BrianGavin_Aqua1b_110411.jpg
7867_BrianGavin_Aqua2b_110411.jpg
2476_BrianGavin_Aqua3b_110411.jpg
3162_BrianGavin_Aqua4b_110411.jpg
3270_BrianGavin_Aqua5b_110411.jpg
5495_BrianGavin_Aqua6b_110411.jpg

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
I would love to have that. What a lucky lady!

kt

Shiny_Rock
oh wowwwwww...that is lovely!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it's so beautiful it doesn't look real! The setting shows it off so perfectly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results