Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

New setting ideas for my antique pear

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2011
Messages
953
Hello! I am almost finished paying for my pear at Jewels By Grace and whilst I'll likely go down the Victor Canera emilya or Anne-marie path, I find myself loving a combination of VC's milgrained bezzeled heart (the Devine 5carat recently posted!) and the Singlestone Heidi.

I think the tri wire with "cuff" is gorgeous and I'd probably change the side details to baguettes (milgrained??) and keep a plain tri wire shank.......would this be achievable, over the top, great, baguettes wouldn't work? Etc.....

Anyway, I'd love some opinions on my ideas!

_3025.jpeg

_3026.jpeg

_3027.jpeg
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
I am also in the "what setting?" phase of my antique pear purchase. I found this on 1st dibs. I LOVE it for an antique pear. I think Victor could make something similar. I just wanted to give you some pics, since you are thinking a mil grained bezel and side diamonds.

a3150bgreenchalcedonyring_l.jpeg

a3150cgreenchalcedonyring_l.jpeg

a3150egreenchalcedonyring_l.jpeg
 

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2011
Messages
953
Thanks soxfan! I'm so excited to see your antique pear and what you do with it!! I think I'll definitely halo the pear but thought to incorporate the tri wire and cuff look somehow? This is my engagement ring upgrade not a right hand ring so I think haloing is super important to me!

Who is setting yours?
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
laurenk|1460587655|4018989 said:
Thanks soxfan! I'm so excited to see your antique pear and what you do with it!! I think I'll definitely halo the pear but thought to incorporate the tri wire and cuff look somehow? This is my engagement ring upgrade not a right hand ring so I think haloing is super important to me!

Who is setting yours?
I'm so sorry! I Thought you were looking for suggestions on a halo. I see now exactly what you are looking for. I'm also a halo gal, for sure....
:love:
I am working with Caysie. BUT.....before I decided to, I was dead set on VC. I don't think he sets antique pears often, so I thought he might be up for creating something that was one of a kind.

I think you should send him a pic of the stone, the settings you like, your wishes for altercations (baguettes) and ask if he would be willing to work with you on a design?

What do you think?
 

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Messages
3,084
Givem the curvy shape of your luscious pear & the fact that the halo will be round melee tracing the pear's outline, I'm thinking I would consider a rectangular baguette on either side to be "discordant" because of the entirely straight edges. But I couldn't quickly find a pic of a ring with a center pear flanked by baguettes, so maybe if I saw one, I'd change my mind.

I really like the idea of bezeling the pear; in fact, my favorite pear diamond ring is Niel's Ritani halo'd pear with bezel & plain shank -- the pear pops so very nicely imo:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-already-reset-9ct-ritani-halo-plain-shank-pear.181694/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-already-reset-9ct-ritani-halo-plain-shank-pear.181694/[/URL]
I don't remember if your pear is somewhat asymmetrical; if so, disguising/minimizing that (if that matters to you) makes the bezeling a bit of challenge & may up the price, but I'm sure Victor can provide good counsel about this aspect.

Also, you should discuss with him now, if you haven't already, whether he's even willing to fashion a setting that's not the Emilya or Anne Marie for which he's already given you (I think) price quotes. In light of his current FAQ about customer-supplied center stones -- which indicates only "pre-mount" designs are available for a customer's own stone
https://www.victorcanera.com/service/faqs
-- and this recent thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-customer-service-change.218063/#post-3961349']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-customer-service-change.218063/#post-3961349[/URL]
I'm not certain he will agree to work towards a new design for your pear.
 

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2011
Messages
953
MollyMalone|1460616664|4019159 said:
Givem the curvy shape of your luscious pear & the fact that the halo will be round melee tracing the pear's outline, I'm thinking I would consider a rectangular baguette on either side to be "discordant" because of the entirely straight edges. But I couldn't quickly find a pic of a ring with a center pear flanked by baguettes, so maybe if I saw one, I'd change my mind.

I really like the idea of bezeling the pear; in fact, my favorite pear diamond ring is Niel's Ritani halo'd pear with bezel & plain shank -- the pear pops so very nicely imo:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-already-reset-9ct-ritani-halo-plain-shank-pear.181694/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-already-reset-9ct-ritani-halo-plain-shank-pear.181694/[/URL]
I don't remember if your pear is somewhat asymmetrical; if so, disguising/minimizing that (if that matters to you) makes the bezeling a bit of challenge & may up the price, but I'm sure Victor can provide good counsel about this aspect.

Also, you should discuss with him now, if you haven't already, whether he's even willing to fashion a setting that's not the Emilya or Anne Marie for which he's already given you (I think) price quotes. In light of his current FAQ about customer-supplied center stones -- which indicates only "pre-mount" designs are available for a customer's own stone
https://www.victorcanera.com/service/faqs
-- and this recent thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-customer-service-change.218063/#post-3961349']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-customer-service-change.218063/#post-3961349[/URL]
I'm not certain he will agree to work towards a new design for your pear.
You're right Mollymalone - Victor really only wants to make current designs so that's ok..... I just want this to be perfect - my final upgrade and wanting it done well so I can stop thinking about diamonds hahah. I think I'll end up doing Anne Marie or emilya and not incorporate too many features.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,685
I'd be pretty cautious about bezel setting a pear. Niel did not keep her bezel set pear very long...you might want to ask her about
it. I worry that the bezel may shut out too much of the light. Face it, pears arent cut for their light return. Yours being an
antique with bigger facets will/should hopefully help it. If it were me and I wanted a bezel look, I would probably do a prong
setting with a "fake" bezel. I think I have seen where people in the past have taken tin foil and wrapped it around the girdle of their
stones to see how it effects the light. Sounds difficult but might be worth a try.

Here are examples of what I mean by prong set with a fake bezel (for lack of a better term)...

The first one is a cushioncutnut's beautiful pear...This one looks more modern but I'm sure you could do it thinner with milgrain.


The second one has more of the antique-y vibe which you are probably going for. This gorgeous setting belongs to Dreamer_D.

cushioncutnut_pear_prong_and_bezel_halo.jpg

dreamer_d_s_beautiful_stone_and_setting.jpg
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
Have you decided? My pear just sits and stares at me. :lol: I also got a quote from Victor for the Anne Marie. :love: :love: I'm waffling......
 

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2011
Messages
953
Hello!! I'm thinking emilya with single cut as much as I want to incorporate so many gorgeous elements I think my pear needs to be the star here. Ultimately I'll send her to VC and let him drive between emilya and Anne Marie and single Vs full - so hard!!!
 

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,797
laurenk|1461849793|4024561 said:
Hello!! I'm thinking emilya with single cut as much as I want to incorporate so many gorgeous elements I think my pear needs to be the star here. Ultimately I'll send her to VC and let him drive between emilya and Anne Marie and single Vs full - so hard!!!

I can't wait to see it!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Lucky Alhambra Bracelet
    Lucky Alhambra Bracelet
    Handmade diamond studs
    Handmade diamond studs
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top