shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera customer service change?

DC519

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Quick question, has anyone dealt directly with Victor lately, or just the account manager/customer service rep? I guess his policies have changed, I asked to make a few small minute changes to style (larger melee diamonds and a higher under gallery to have the ring sit up higher) even asked about the custom route and while polite, it was very much "No, we cannot change or edit the styles we are known for" He mentioned I can only instruct that I want a bolder style or more delicate style and that indicating mm or melee styles is not accepted anymore.

While I understand that, as it is easy to get held up on such fine details, I found it slightly off putting. Has anyone else had this experience lately? While I trust the artist and designer, I would have at least felt better had he said "Lets collaborate" or " let's find a style that might suit your taste" There was just this "No, not at this time" or "No, this won't work" Maybe I read WAY too much into it, but I emailed a few other vendors and it was very much "We don't recommend this BUT we do recommend this!" OR "Yes, we can accommodate this, let's talk!"

Am I totally being a pouty pants over this? It just made me want to reply "Okay, keep your styles, even Tacori offers modifications. Bye!"

Maybe I just expected a more warm and fuzzy welcome with all of the rave reviews of his work. Then again, I wasn't dealing with Victor directly, I was dealing with the account manager.

If I am overanalyzing here, please let me know. Maybe I am just TOO focused on specific details.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Had a similar experience when I wanted to change some details. I decided to abandon a halo design altogether so I contacted some other designers. I have to say that David Klass has been the most receptive.

Perhaps VC is moving to establish his designs more and isn't open to slight changes. Or perhaps given the season he simply can't accommodate these revisions or perhaps they simply don't want to deal with nitpicky type customers. Given the cost of his settings I was hoping for a bit more custom service but it is what it is. Ultimately I decided to go in another direction entirely so I decided to look elsewhere.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you looking to purchase the center stone from VC or planning to supply it yourself? The response you received sounds in keeping with the policies set forth in the answer to Do you accept customer supplied center stones? on his FAQ page, so maybe that's the reason?
https://www.victorcanera.com/service/faqs

DC519

Rough_Rock
Supply it myself, and I see that now. I think I was just surprised because reading on PS over the years, Victor Canera has received multiple lines of instructions from clients that are nit picky to the 'make it however you like!' customers and he has been raved about for incredible customer service and being accommodating---even with customer supplied stones. (Frankie's ring and her journey is my main example and maybe that was the one off) I guess his policies have changed and it's my fault for not reading that. It was just anti-climatic, reading and admiring his work for years and just as I'm financially ready to upgrade and purchase, it's this kind of response. Again, not rude at all, just very 'meh' and not accommodating.

I totally understand jewelry houses need to grow and set policies that allow them to service the best possible way, but in all fairness, I got a direct response directly from Aric at Lauren B, Steven Kirsch and Leon Mege, all very friendly, very accommodating and willing to work with me on some changes--and my changes were just "can we add larger melee diamonds and have the gallery made higher"--it didn't seem so bizarre.

Anyways, I am glad to see I am not the only one, because for a second I felt like that. I felt like I was not receiving the same level of care that other customers on here have raved about. It's clear that is because policies have changed and it's my fault for not reading that. Again, not bashing him, his work is incredible and should continued to be praised. Just wish I could have had the warm and fuzzy experience I expected---and maybe, no I know that's all in my head to expect that. It's very much like the "I'm going to go buy my dream car!" and you open the door and go "Oh..I thought this would be...more..." Ah, c'est la vie.

Thanks for listening to those have read thus far!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I think that VC has changed his policies in the 4 years since frankie worked with him; I couldn't swear to it, but I don't remember those more restrictive policies re orders using customer-supplied stones being in the answer to that FAQ last year.

I'm sorry about your disappointment; here's hoping you will soon be on your way to another dreamy ring!

xizenta

Rough_Rock
I recently exchanged a number of emails back and forth with him along with one phone call. He was very professional. However, he didn't seem very eager to work with me. I think it turned him off that I wanted to provide my own stone. When he tried to sell me on stones from his inventory, I entertained the idea, but he just wasn't flexible on the prices very much at all (he offered something like 3% off).

DC519

Rough_Rock
Maybe that is the route he is going with in terms of service---he wants to appeal as a one-stop shop, similar to Tiffany's or Cartier or Harry Winston that wouldn't alter styles or give much wiggle room. However, I know Harry Winston does provide some changes if asked, and there is some wiggle room on pricing depending on the stone. I think as long as we are aware on PS of that, and these changes, there won't be any confusion or feelings like we have had in terms of expectations of service.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was so glad to see this thread. I haven't previously shared my own experience ordering with VC because I wasn't sure if an honest review would be welcomed here since so many PSers rave about VC. I went through a similar thought process when I ordered an engraved band from VC. Granted, I only interacted with Paige, so I can't speak as to the personal customer service experience with Victor himself. I felt my experience ordering from VC was very cold and impersonal. The end product was of impeccable quality but I felt a bit put off by the lack of warmth in my interactions with customer service (to be honest, I have felt more warmth and care for the customer from the server at my local Starbucks!). Since so many PSers had raved about VC's excellent customer service, I thought it was just me, as I was only buying a cheaper ($1k-ish) band. I wondered for a long time if it was because I wasn't ordering a bigger ticket item! Because of the so-so customer service when buying a cheaper item I decided not to have my OEC set by VC, as I think that customers should receive good service no matter if they're buying $1k or $10k worth of jewelry. I believe that VC pieces are of exceedingly high craftsmanship and am glad for other PSers who had excellent experiences with VC. My own experience with ordering from VC was a little different, but I would love to order from VC again if the customer service improves. :confused:

On the other hand, I have had great diamond/jewelry buying experiences with a few other vendors who are popular on PS (Whiteflash, GOG, LAD). I guess an important lesson I have learned is that even if some vendors seem to be more popular than others on PS (or vice versa), ordering jewelry is very personal and each customer's experience will differ - especially for custom orders, it's all about finding the best vendor that suits your needs and style. :wavey:

Edited to add: I would like to clarify that the customer service I received from VC was never rude. It was always strictly very professional and polite.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Victor does superb work and has a small, but top notch operation. He can only make so many rings a year. Naturally he is going to give preference to those who buy their diamonds from him.

I think the thing with Victor is, if you want an Emilya or any of his well known pieces, he can judge the best size once the customer has noted a particular ring they like on his site. Or like someone said, it they want bolder or more subtle, he can do that. But a master jeweler really doesn't need the micromanager type customer when they have more business than they can accept. (Please note that I am not directing that at the OP, personally...just at the topic in general which we are discussing.)

I just looked and saw that his FAQ's do address this exact question:

"Q: I'm interested in having a jewel made with very specific measurements, like a 12mm halo with 1.55mm melee, and 1.85mm melee on the shank etc.
A: We do not accept hard specifications for rings outside of your finger size. We're happy to accommodate your general preferences like "a more delicate halo" or "a more substantial halo" or other general preferences from clients. It is our opinion that giving us the freedom to use the right proportions based on our experience leads to the best result. Every ring is a unique project and specs like stone sizes etc. need to be made dynamically and in proportion to the specific center stone or finger size."

When it comes down to it, warm and fuzzy is nice. But I am paying for the end product. Victor is very consistent in supplying an excellent piece at the end.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like Victor is not hurting for work and can pick and chose his projects and his customers.

There are other designers you can work with if this doesn't suit you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results