shape
carat
color
clarity

new setting... but i'm hesitating... please help

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Dear all,

Recently i went for a reset. The setting was modeled after a 0.72ct engagement ring that i saw in the shop. I love the fact that the prongs look like a crown and it is six prong. So the shop decided to custom make one for my ring. 4 weeks of waiting and here is the final product... but i have my reservations as it was not as delicate as the one on the 0.72ct...

i felt the base was too broad... please comment. Thanks...

This was my old setting. it is still six prong but a bit thin...

3topPPl.jpg

here's the new setting...

doesitlooklikeacrown.jpg

the side views

isthebasetoobroad.jpg

sideview.jpg

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
I see what you mean about it not looking delicate, but it really is a gorgeous setting. It's very intricate and detailed, but I think it fits the stone well, and definitely gives the ring a little more "oomph!" I think it's lovely.

But it is your ring, and you should be 100% happy with it. I think maybe you could give it a few day's consideration, and see how you feel about it after that. If you're still unhappy or hesitant with the setting, have it redone :)

KristinT

Rough_Rock
I think it's very pretty -- well done!!!!

Personally, I think it's unique yet, classy with a touch of non traditional elegance. :appl:

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your words of encouragement. ::)

It was a tough time between me and the guys at the shop. They sure did their best based on the original "design".They didn't have a setting made for my diamond size, so didnt have any CAD design for me to consider. it was based on purely verbal description of what i wanted... well it look close to the original..

have anyone come across something like this design but way more delicate? Maybe something like that...(i photoshopped the sides. please pardon me for my lousy skills :cheeky: )

somethinglikethis.jpg

what do you think? or anyone has any similar design ring pictures to post? It will help a lot! Thanks :twirl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
this is a three stone but sort of similar

diamondisland28sar.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
here are some ritani designs that are sort of similar

ritaniring2.png

ritaniring3.jpg

ritanirings1.jpg

I think your ring is very pretty but to me what looks 'off' perhaps is the proportion of the crown part in relation to the center stone. To my eye from that picture it looks like the crown is too large?

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I think your new setting is beautiful, it looks like a real crown...but if you're not 100% satisfied, take it back to the jeweler and take him pictures of your dream setting...it's not easy to create the perfect setting based only on verbal description.

lokelani

Rough_Rock
slg47|1292572034|2799377 said:
I think your ring is very pretty but to me what looks 'off' perhaps is the proportion of the crown part in relation to the center stone. To my eye from that picture it looks like the crown is too large?

I agree. That's a lot of crown for the stone. Forgive me for being blunt, but I think it really overpowers it. :(sad But I do love the concept! Have you seen this ring?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/23rd-street-jewelers-oec.138568/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/23rd-street-jewelers-oec.138568/[/URL]

Similar idea, but executed more appropriately, IMO.

Is there any turning back though? I hope there's something they can do for you so you'll love it. Even if you do like it as-is, I worry that it would always bother you that it didn't turn out the way you had envisioned it. I think you could still make it work with maybe a pair of equally chunky/substantial bands on each side, perhaps. If redoing it isn't an option, I hope you can find a way to still love it!

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree, I feel that the "crown" sort if eats up the diamond. The last picutre from the Ritani collection is the closest to my dream setting. The link above is a great great great reference. I do agree the setting is proportionate to the diamond.

I can send the ring back but I doubt they can remake something like the ritani version. They do not have the mould like the ritani ring and i really wonder what they can do. Any idea? Thank you all so much for he pictures. I should have asked first and get some reference pic before embarking on it ;(

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It definitely is a bit chunkier than the old setting, but it is lovely! As long as you're happy with it.... ::)

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Do u all think I should keep it? Or bring back to the shop? I do not know what to tell them actually. Asking them to remake the setting is totally out. I do not know how to tell them what to change.

Should I keep it like this or bring back to the shop?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are not happy with the setting, take it back. I don't know if that particular setting can be reworked enough to have you be happy with it. It is a pretty setting but much different than your original. Maybe in a few days it would grow on you but I'm not a believer in keeping something that you are not happy with.

If you take it back, just tell them you think it looks too bulky and is not exactly what you had in mind. Perhaps they can come up with something different for you.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
MoonRiver said:
Do u all think I should keep it? Or bring back to the shop? I do not know what to tell them actually. Asking them to remake the setting is totally out. I do not know how to tell them what to change.

Should I keep it like this or bring back to the shop?

Give them pictures, not just a verbal description, but provide yourself against a disaster: it's really hard to change the profile...it's easier/safier to have a new setting.
Can you post handshots? How does the ring look on your finger? Maybe it's not so bad when worn...(well I like it the way it is)...

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
It is quite chunky... if you don't LOVE it now, you probably won't later (trust me, I know! :rolleyes: ), so I would have it redone with very clear explanations.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I love that 23rd street one :) :) :)

so, wait, you can take it back for a refund??? or just send it back and have them remake it? I am confused...I am assuming they wouldn't refund a custom order?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand what you're saying but if you were to shave the shoulders down (as per your modified setting) it would look very strange from the top - which is how you see your ring most! Actually I think it's lovely and very well proportioned. You really focus on the crown and the diamond and not the shank which is how a ring should be! Would you feel happier if you asked them to pierce the shoulders and put in a <l shape? That would open up the shoulders and make it more delicate? I most definitely wouldn't shave a bit off the bottom of the crown - that would look very weird. Don't forget you're comparing it to your very open light setting before so this is going to be heavier in look but doesn't it make the diamond look bigger as well? Personally, I'd wear it for a week or two before making a decision because it is very lovely.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I loooovveee your first setting :love:

stci

Ideal_Rock
I'm in love with your setting too! Before you photoshop it! Really gorgeous! :love:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
love all the bling on the basket of the setting!

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

thank you so much for your kind words. I will have to get back to the shop coming Monday.. It was a long story on how i got them to make this setting but i cannot get a refund... so i am still in the decision phase of keeping it or sorting out with the store... :confused:

anyway here are some hand shots.

from the front (for those who are viewing it)
handshotfront.jpg

from the back when i am viewing it
handshotside2.jpg

from the side. i manage to get a very very very very thin and flat spacer ring that slips under my new setting to fill up the space in between the eternity band
handshotside.jpg

please do give my honest opinion... i am a very very choosy and indecisive person... ;( thank you so so much!

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1292606631|2799593 said:
I can understand what you're saying but if you were to shave the shoulders down (as per your modified setting) it would look very strange from the top - which is how you see your ring most! Actually I think it's lovely and very well proportioned. You really focus on the crown and the diamond and not the shank which is how a ring should be! Would you feel happier if you asked them to pierce the shoulders and put in a <l shape? That would open up the shoulders and make it more delicate? I most definitely wouldn't shave a bit off the bottom of the crown - that would look very weird. Don't forget you're comparing it to your very open light setting before so this is going to be heavier in look but doesn't it make the diamond look bigger as well? Personally, I'd wear it for a week or two before making a decision because it is very lovely.

Hi... i am not sure if it is my eyes or its a new setting... i do feel it looks much bigger... the previous setting is more open and it allows more light to pass though... at first i wanted to order something from BGD tiffany range but i wanted something more bling at the basket and giving the basket a very crown like feel...

i haven really got diamond fanatic friends who can comment on the aesthetics of it... so i really got to rely on most of you. thanks a lot ^-^

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Here are some hand shots... i didnt really clean my ring...looks blurry.

handshot-1.jpg

handshot2.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know .... I like it much better on your hand than in the original pictures. And from the top view your stone looks ENORMOUS! The workmanship looks precise. I'm not sure how that design could be scaled differently and still support your size of stone. If it turns out that you don't like it in this scale, maybe its just better suited for a smaller stone. Somethings don't scale well. It looks nice to me though!

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
I do agree that the effect may be lost when they scale. I have no idea what they will do, but for sure they will it be able to remake. As most of you say it looks nice, I begin to kind of feel it looks nice too. Still having mix feelings though. In have up to Monday to call them .

ludmila.k

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the second setting, this is more delicate ::) It's gorgeous ring!!! :love: :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moon River - thanks for posting the top down shots. Your ring looks sensational (not to mention huge :bigsmile: ) and from this angle it most definitely looks like a Tiffany setting. This view is how most people will see your ring - very few will look down at the side. So look at it this way ..... from the top you have the delicate look of a Tiffany setting BUT THEN you get the surprise crown from the side! I love surprise rings like that because it's almost 2 for the price of 1! If you look at the top down shot again, can you see how the shank looks so delicate? It doesn't look too big or high at all. Good luck with your decision!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moonriver...the setting definitly looks better on and along with your other rings doesnt look as bulky as it does when its
off your finger. I was very pleasantly surprised by the hand shots.

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Hi all thank you for your kind words. I begin to look at my ring at a different angle. When I first got the ring, I was so focused on looking at it when placed in the box or table. I kept thinking about the 0.72ct version and ended up being concerned with the shank and the base. At first I thought the shank was shouldered too high up and the base looks broad and not narrow enough.

Sorry for the typo in the previous post, I mean that the shop is very unlikely to remake another new ring. So before making a call to them on Monday I would want to gather as much information as I can. I am afraid that returning the ring back to them, they willhave to try and interpret my verbal description, which can be risky, as the ring can look worst. So it's either I have to be very very clear with the possible changes that I want them to make with then existing ring settin OR don't risk it (appreciate the ring as it is now).

Thank you so much for your comments. I am open to hear more. Thank you very much :wavey:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I agree, I like it a lot better on your hand, especially with the 2 other rings! What carat size is it-it looks huge!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results