shape
carat
color
clarity

new setting... but i'm hesitating... please help

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Seeing it in perspective on your hand, with your other rings- I like it. I also bet it looks a *lot* more delicate in person than it does in pics.

I would definitely leave the shank alone. It looks like it was done in proportion to the center stone.

You *might* see if they could thin the tips of the crown out a smidge more a la the 23rd st version of this setting... but then again, it might not even be structurally possible. And frankly I think it looks fine in pics as it is, and is probably killer in real life.

I totally understand how custom can be painful. I have had that experience of opening the box and being like "Um. Not what I was thinking!" And then not really being able to see the finished product for what it is, because you keep thinking about what you had pictured for so long.

Actually, I rarely am willing to do custom anymore- it just makes me twitch, and I am usually not 100% happy with the result. I'm too much of a control freak I guess. And I know I'm not the only one around here that prefers to do stock settings or duplicates of an existing design for this reason. I'm thinking you might be right there with me at this point :wink2:

But yeah, your setting really is beautiful as-is.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your new setting is beautiful and very special! It is even more lovely on your finger and it goes so well with your other ring. And like others have commented, it is an entirely different look from the top down (all diamond and delicate shank) and then from the side you get this incredible ornate crown but still a lot of diamond. I would adore a setting like that - I love modern interpretations of traditional symbols like crowns.

Sometimes the images in our head of customized settings don't match up with the reality, and there can be a short adjustment period... but really the most important thing is that you are happy with the ring and are filled with joy every time you look at it If you decide by Monday that the ring is not you, talk to the jeweler and see what alternatives they come up with - I'm sure they want you to be satisfied too.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you're getting some more perspectives on this. Only YOU will ever know what that smaller version looked like, yanno? It might just be an adjustment of expectations ...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After seeing it on your finger, I think it looks very pretty! As another poster said, I'm sure it looks even more delicate in real life.

I'm sure it doesn't look exactly like the one you first saw because of the difference in size but it is a very pretty setting. I think you are starting to see it that well as well which is a very good thing.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do but it really does look very pretty on your hand!

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1292697595|2800423 said:
Seeing it in perspective on your hand, with your other rings- I like it. I also bet it looks a *lot* more delicate in person than it does in pics.

I would definitely leave the shank alone. It looks like it was done in proportion to the center stone.

You *might* see if they could thin the tips of the crown out a smidge more a la the 23rd st version of this setting... but then again, it might not even be structurally possible. And frankly I think it looks fine in pics as it is, and is probably killer in real life.

I totally understand how custom can be painful. I have had that experience of opening the box and being like "Um. Not what I was thinking!" And then not really being able to see the finished product for what it is, because you keep thinking about what you had pictured for so long.

Actually, I rarely am willing to do custom anymore- it just makes me twitch, and I am usually not 100% happy with the result. I'm too much of a control freak I guess. And I know I'm not the only one around here that prefers to do stock settings or duplicates of an existing design for this reason. I'm thinking you might be right there with me at this point :wink2:

But yeah, your setting really is beautiful as-is.

DITTO! I totally agree with your statement. Custom made jobs can sometimes be a 'Yay!!!' or a "hmmmmm?? ermmmm??" I feel i am in that position..

I love to have a six prong setting as i love love love love the tiffany look. So i was really quite unhappy with my initial setting for a long long long time as it was too thin and look too 'basket-like' so i was very determined and really wanted to order the tiffany set from BGD to save all the trouble. But i wanted to take the plunge as i wanted something more special, a six prong with diamond encrusted basket and prongs... I wanted the profile to nice and sleek like the tiffany basket but with the variation of diamonds on it, making it look like a 'crown'

Well the jeweler made it really nice for the 0.72ct and boy it did make the 0.72 look special but when the setting was scaled to my diamond... he really really made it look like a CROWN... somehow i feel that there was some form of lost in translation... None the less here are some pics...

from the front
frontview.jpg

upside down
upsidedown.jpg

from the top
topdown.jpg

on the keychain
onthecat-1.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moonriver- that stone is EnOrMoUs!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps trying it on with a more delicate wedding band would make a difference in the overall appearance. It is a beautiful ring!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I like it:it looks great on your finger!
That setting makes the diamond pop out!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
The setting looks beautiful on your finger. I think the first picture of the setting was a bad picture. The new pictures showing the setting is lovely.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I actually REALLY love the new setting. I'm a big fan of a solitaire with an ornate head, and I think your new setting is perfect & looks great on your hand. I'd love to see more handshots! :)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Throw my vote in for loving your new setting. It looks perfect with your WB and on your hand.

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Thank you for your encouraging words. I am beginning to like the setting now. I bought some stacking rings that are imported from Japan.

To achieve the delicate effect, i decided to stack it them up and play around with the effects. :wacko:

Some of my stacking rings.
stackingrings-1.jpg

Variation 1 with yellow gold bands
stack2.jpg

Variation 1
stack1.jpg

Variation 2
stack3.jpg

Variation 3 with rose gold bands
stack4.jpg

Variation 4
variation4.jpg

Thank you so much for all of you comments...i begin to see my ring in a different light :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results