shape
carat
color
clarity

New Sapphire, need setting help!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I took a leap of faith based on Brads description of the stone. I wasn't expecting it to be so nice in person either but it was a happy surprise.

Arg. Now I can't unsee the cat! Haha. I actually had an appt with a local Philadelphia jeweler today. I like her work based on what I saw and liked her as a person in general. I went to see her in her jewelry studio on jewelers row which was cool since i got to see some pieces mid commission. She gave me a really reasonable quote and sized up my eternity ring too on the spot which was awesome. We decided to try out something more traditional with semi bezels and accents. She said she would have a wax for me next week. :). Yay.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The color is beautiful!

PursuitOfBling

Rough_Rock
Seriously delicious colour! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The blue is divine :love: It even shines through the plastic bag!! Can't wait till you can show us some design/ring pics.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here is the wax, I really like the flow of the lines and design in general. It's my first time working with this local jeweler, but I have high hopes so far! I've never done wax before, anything look concerning to anyone? Any constructive comments would be much appreciated before I give the go ahead.

Also, white or yellow gold?

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Metal color is surely going to be personal preference, but my vote would be for yellow gold since the color of that sapphire is so rich.

LOVE the fluidity of the ring design!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
me too - 18k yellow gold

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another vote for yellow gold. This ring is going to be stunning! Congrats :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
18K yellow will go well with the darker tone, yet luscious colour. I like the fluidity of the wax. I think it is going to be gorgeous.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Love the style you've chosen and can't wait to see the ring.

Wax is pretty much WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get - so just make sure the bits are all in the right place ;))

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Very neat! The one thing that would bug me is that the inner curve doesn't seem to follow the shape of the stone, although it's difficult to tell with the blue on blue.

I would use yellow gold if the stone has a violet undertone, otherwise I would use white gold.

T

talamasca

:love: Oooo yummy colour and love the ring design - can't wait to see it finished

I too vote high karat YG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet|1334928603|3176069 said:
Very neat! The one thing that would bug me is that the inner curve doesn't seem to follow the shape of the stone, although it's difficult to tell with the blue on blue.

I would use yellow gold if the stone has a violet undertone, otherwise I would use white gold.

The top does sit flush, it just looks off because she was just resting the sapphire on the wax.
It does have a slight violet/purple secondary which I think makes the color rich. Im not sure about 18k though as high carat gold doesn't look quite right on me. I'm leaning towards 14 k yellow though.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
My personal preference would be for 14k YG because it's a "softer" colour. I understand what you're saying about 18k not looking quite right, I think I have the same issue :))

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree on 14 K yellow gold. Can't wait to see your ring!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love high karat gold with green and reds. And I did set my black opal in 18k yellow as well. But in general I like to reserve high karat gold for rings that are are very simple solitaires and I'm afraid I would just make this one look too costume like and busy.
I gave the go ahead for casting in 14 k yellow gold, will post more pics when I get them. Thanks for the opinions!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW! MTG, that's a really cool setting you've designed! I love trillions and when I cruise the vendor's sites, I'm drawn to those first, then pears, then cushions.

STUNNING stone set into a unique, architectural setting and (hopefully) in 14k WG - awesomeness!!!! So exciting to see an idea come to life - thanks for sharing your wax photos! When is it expected to be completed - can't wait for those photos and the hand shots!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't take credit for the design, that was all me jeweler. I just asked for something sleek an fluid that fit the stone without darkening it. She came up with the rest!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I missed this thread the first time around - GORGEOUS color on that stone, and I really like the setting. Trillions can be difficult.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1335025565|3177176 said:
I can't take credit for the design, that was all me jeweler. I just asked for something sleek an fluid that fit the stone without darkening it. She came up with the rest!

Well, I think she's pretty creative! that's a very neat setting - nice choice MTG!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like it! I agree that it's hard to tell how the wax meets the sapphire because both are a similar color, but it sounds like it will be fine.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I believe the top will need to be flush to hold the stone in anyways.
I'm not sure what the time line is until the next set of photos but I'll post them once I have them! It's always a little nerve wracking working with a new jeweler but I have high hopes. If it works out well then I'll have a local artist for custom work! Yay!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a yellow gold fan at all (I'll go to great lengths to avoid it like making a piece two-tone), but even I can concede that blue sapphires look best in YG!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very nice design. Good for you for supporting your local jewelry designer. I expect the ring will be gorgeous! :appl:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1335138636|3178053 said:
Very nice design. Good for you for supporting your local jewelry designer. I expect the ring will be gorgeous! :appl:

I love supporting local artists when I can, and it's always nice if you can form a relationship with a jeweler for custom projects!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think you've chosen a great design for that stone. I think you could go either way with the gold. I'm a white metal kind of person myself though I wear yellow gold once in a while. It would look good with either.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that azdia piece is beautiful. I think if I had a more conventionally shaped stone to put in a simple solitaire I would really love that setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results