shape
carat
color
clarity

New Sapphire, need setting help!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received this sapphire from Brad, and I am just swooning over the color. It's a lovely medium dark blue, with just the tiniest hint of purple in certain lighting to give it that deep rich glow. Native cut, but pretty well done with a lot of life and sparkle, and no window or rotund belly.

Please pardon the picture quality, best I could do with my phone!

2.32 ct, 8.5x6.5, Sri Lanka, heated.

Now...how the heck do I set it into a ring?

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
His photo really didn't do the stone justice. The clarity was SI due to a small feather, but when oriented face up it's really hard to find it. I tried to get a got photo of it, but couldn't really.

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per Brad's description
"Excellent color, perfect tone and cut very, very well. This gem is sizable and full of fire, you will not be disappointed. "

file.jpg

I've noticed that Brad's pictures tend to show the gems being just a smidge lighter than in real life in my limited experience. I returned a garnet once because it was darker in person, but this time it worked out well as I prefer medium darks. His descriptions are always very accurate though, and he's a great vendor to communicate and work with. I bought my star sapphire from him as well. :)

IMG_0900.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics..

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last ones, thanks for looking and any ideas for trillion setting or photos for inspiration would be great!

Also, I'm considering sending it out for evaluation before I set it since it might take awhile to figure out the setting and the raise the funds to do a proper job of it. Does the AGL gembrief test for beryllium? Is that something I even really need to worry about since I was under the impression that beryllium was more common in the ruby/pad corundum and more recent than 2006.

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see this? The consensus on this one was fabulous stone, and fabulous mounting makes a fabulous ring! Don't know if you would consider something similar.

Enjoy your stone! :wavey:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I've always like this trillion setting.

cronin-sapphire.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kismet, I love that!!

Do you know who made it?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some ideas:

Trilliant designs.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1331763032|3148728 said:
LD|1331760698|3148697 said:

Yes, yes I was! I obviously feel so close to everyone that we can just intuit each others thoughts... :Up_to_something:

But thanks for posting it LD

No worries! I feel like we are atuned! ;))

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD!
Haha. My stone is sort of irregular and chubby but some of those could work!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1331758933|3148670 said:
Oh Kismet, I love that!!

Do you know who made it?

It's made by Cronin Jewelers. I've never had anything made by them but I like the look of some of there stuff.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their website is definitely cool.

Any suggestions on which AGL report to get for a sapphire? I don't really care much about origin, but I'm not sure if the gem brief tests for beryllium?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, amazing!! I would not have guessed from the vendor picture that it would look how it does in your photographs.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1331826123|3149243 said:
Wow, amazing!! I would not have guessed from the vendor picture that it would look how it does in your photographs.

Thanks! Yeah, Brad (thegemtrader.com) is very honest in descriptions so I went by the words more than the photo, and glad I did. He's a great vendor to work with.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome colour! I like the setting that Kismet referred to.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone; the first few pictures made me think of Hauynes.

Ummm....a fat trillion...in this case, I think you can only set it oriented with the point going upwards/downwards. Setting it sideways will create asymmetry.

Yes, AGL does test for diffusion. If you go with the gem brief, it is only $55 and AGL will give you their opinion that it is/isn't heat only. If they can rule out diffusion by the usual testing method, then all is well and good. If not, they will contact you and ask if you want the more expensive testing, which is far more definitive. I think the diffusion testing is an additional $100.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1331832133|3149306 said:
Lovely stone; the first few pictures made me think of Hauynes.

Ummm....a fat trillion...in this case, I think you can only set it oriented with the point going upwards/downwards. Setting it sideways will create asymmetry.

Yes, AGL does test for diffusion. If you go with the gem brief, it is only $55 and AGL will give you their opinion that it is/isn't heat only. If they can rule out diffusion by the usual testing method, then all is well and good. If not, they will contact you and ask if you want the more expensive testing, which is far more definitive. I think the diffusion testing is an additional $100.

Thanks Chrono, that helps a lot! I might just go in person since I live in Philly and I've never really been to the NYC jewelry district. Could be fun. :)

Though the lazy person in me just wants to mail it, lol. If you mail it in, do you mail a check with it or just contact info so they can bill you when you're done?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh MTG... :lol: Do give them a call first before mailing it out. It's been a while since I've sent any stones out myself (had the vendor do it because the sale was contingent upon the result of the memo) but I would feel better to ask them for the time frame, shipping address (just in case), to whose attention it should go out to and etc.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1331833432|3149325 said:
Oh MTG... :lol: Do give them a call first before mailing it out. It's been a while since I've sent any stones out myself (had the vendor do it because the sale was contingent upon the result of the memo) but I would feel better to ask them for the time frame, shipping address (just in case), to whose attention it should go out to and etc.

Thank, I'll definitely check in with them first about specifics and turn around.

I also took some indoor photos in my computer lab. :)

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, so I realized Sally has a lotus setting appropriate for trillions, would it be awful of me to have 4 lotus settings? It's my favorite flower and I'm mildly obsessed with the setting, but I'm trying to convince myself that variety is a good thing...

ETA: In my defense, my 3 lotuses all have different shaped stones. One round, one supernova oval, and one star cab. So it's not like the same ring in 3 colors, lol.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1331751664|3148601 said:
Does the AGL gembrief test for beryllium? Is that something I even really need to worry about since I was under the impression that beryllium was more common in the ruby/pad corundum and more recent than 2006.

To your first sentence, yes.

To your second, that is not true. There's a lot of diffused blue sapphire being exported out of Thailand, and now Sri Lanka (from what I hear from a site that I frequent that reports on treatments).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love T Lee's work, and that sapphire would look stunning in one of her designs.

http://tleegold.com/complete-jewelry-collection/rings/

Here is an example with her signature 24 kt gold wire weaving. :love:

(People can tell immediately that it isn't a knock-off from Target. :naughty: )

TLeeSapphire.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning color, much better then the vendor photos. I love the setting Kismet posted. I think it would be very flattering for your gorgeous stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm hoping to go the route of Kismet's photo, and do something that looks similar though more fluid and delicate. I'm visiting a local jeweler on Thursday, though if that doesn't pan out I may have to wait on this until after vacation.

I got 5 point accents thinking they'd work, but they might be a smidgen too big...

side.JPG

sides2.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! I can imagine how it looks like IRL, because I once bought the stone from Brad that looked exactly like this one in his website. I hope you'll make a great ring from it, I would go jeweljunke's way and try something more classic and open because the stone is dark-blue, and rather deep. But it seems you have already chosen another style, which looks beautiful.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like the one Kismet posted, and it seems to work best with the shape of your stone. But what I don't like is the diamond accents. Turn it upside-down and it looks too much like a cat for me, with the sapphire being the face (nose pointing down) and the diamonds the ears. So I'd skip the accents and just do the trillion in a chevron-shaped bezel. It actually might be cool just to do the bezel on the 2 shorter sides and leave the long side naked, but I'm not sure how to make that secure. It might need some sort of prong or 2 on the non-bezeled side if you do that.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
To me this color is what I would call "ideal". I mean, wow. I would never have guessed from that vendor photo that the stone would look like how it looks in your pictures. I would consider that an amazing find!! Enjoy it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results