shape
carat
color
clarity

New ring is here, but it's just not love

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I think I need therapy or something! I just don't love it. I think my fingers dwarf it. I also don't like the flat edges of the band. From the photos, I was expecting more of a domed look. So alas, she goes back tomorrow and the search for a bigger stone begins.

IMG_20211229_213927593.jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the diamond size looks lovely. Beautiful actually.
Perhaps you need a different setting? Good luck with whatever you decide!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear, @Runningmama !
Based on your thoughts and impressions, what size/diameter do you feel would feed your desires?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
So sorry to hear, @Runningmama !
Based on your thoughts and impressions, what size/diameter do you feel would feed your desires?

I think I need to go into a B&M store and try a few sizes. I thought 2.05 would feel huge but my hands are just so big despite a size 6 finger. The stone is stunning though. Tons of big flashes!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think it's gorgeous but imo diamonds do tend to be way too small! I mean, I would not be interested in anything much under 5 carats in any other stone because I just feel like it doesn't look like much on my finger. And even five carats would need a halo around it for me.

But a five plus carat diamond is out of my comfort zone, financially and otherwise. As has been mentioned, another option is a setting with additional diamonds or a surround/guard. Good luck with it!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I think I need to go into a B&M store and try a few sizes. I thought 2.05 would feel huge but my hands are just so big despite a size 6 finger. The stone is stunning though. Tons of big flashes!

Glad to hear that the stone is a beautiful performer, at least!

I'd like to throw something out there for you to consider: when you visit your local jeweler to try on different sizes, maybe try a few ovals of various dimensions to see if you like the finger coverage and aesthetic.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain. I have big hands And fingers and jewelry looks small. When I have my daughter put on my rings, they look much bigger. Can’t afford the size that would make me happy either. Oh well…

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also often feel that diamonds look small on me compared to other people's same sized fingers. I put my diamond in a halo on a plain shank so that it would gain finger coverage but still feel like a solitaire and be stackable with any bands.

maisie2

Shiny_Rock
I totally understand. I’m a 6.5, so a similar size to you, but stones seem to look smaller on my hand versus others of the same size.
:confused2:

I hope you’re able to find a stone that satisfies your want for more finger coverage! :)

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a 5.5 ring size and when I purchased a 2ct lab diamond I decided to set it in a halo- I am very happy with the coverage. Are you set on a solitaire? A small halo, three stone or bezel setting may be something you like visually.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Maybe a three stone for more coverage?

I was thinking about Mreader's comment more while looking at the picture of your new ring, Runningmama.

Changing the setting might be another avenue to consider. When you visit with your local jewelers, maybe try on some different side accent settings with around a 2.0-2.1ct diamond floated on the prongs to see if that provides the coverage that you are seeking so you can keep your new 2.05 diamond, if you do love the optics and light performance of it.

Here are some examples that may give a feel for a bit more finger fill, some on the length (east-west) axis, some also on the width (north-south) axis.

And yet another option is to see if you can find a side accent wrap/enhancer at one of your local jewelers that you can view with your new ring, to determine if that would be a solution.

738b3f7db8772b4ef0d3dbf1be1736a4.jpg

e5efa27cc6e2213fa32f568d40cc6f69--wedding-wraps-wedding-bands.jpg

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a three stone for more coverage?

I was going to say exactly the same. Despite the enduring popularity of solitaires a single round stone just doesn’t suit my finger - I feel it makes them look chubby. A three stone is so much more flattering.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
It’s most important that you’re happy, but from an outside perspective, I will say the diamond doesn’t look small in my opinion.
This might sound silly, but have you let anyone else try it out and see what 2 carats looks like on someone else? Maybe 2 carats sounded bigger on paper than you expected.
Our sets seem pretty similar- I have a 2.14 carat solitaire with a half carat band and my ring size is 6-6.5. I am not taking any offense whatsoever, but when you’re seeing that size another hand, does it look small to you?
DDAFCBBF-FE57-4D6C-B7F1-ACA9AE503A36.jpeg
I hope you find a ring that makes you super happy- don’t feel guilty about returning something you don’t love! Good luck on your search!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I hope you find a ring that makes you super happy- don’t feel guilty about returning something you don’t love! Good luck on your search!

Runningmama, you have a bit of a grace period to let things meld and marinade for at least a few days, if you want. But, regardless of the different tips and tricks that all of us are throwing out there to try and augment the gorgeous diamond that you have, what anangel said is still the most crucial piece of advice that can be given.
It's an absolutely beautiful diamond and, while I would love to see you be able to keep such a great score for what it is, if the solitaire size just doesn't "feel" to be enough in your heart and your mind, then no amount of tinkering with the setting will ultimately solve that. Traversing a (potentially very long) path to try and find some kind of augmentation that will never satisfy you because it doesn't exist will only burn up a lot of time and cause a lot of frustration.

Last edited:

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful replies. I truly want a solitaire; I've ogled the classic Tiffany since I was a child. I'm going to go into a higher end B&M and try on various 2-3 carat sizes to see what makes my heart sing. I don't want to keep purchasing online and having to return the ring because I'm costing businesses money. I want to make sure my next purchase is "the one," barring any unforeseen circumstances. I think I'll also ask for real life photos of the setting prior to purchase if not available as well. This one is just much different than the stock photo. I'm also continuing to work on weight loss, which will also help my hands not look so puffy. I appreciate all of the time and effort put in to help, especially from you, DejaWiz.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the same problem @Runningmama, I’m a 6.75 ring size, and 2cts looked small on my big paw. I really envy those PSers with beautiful dainty fingers because 2cts look huge on them.

I was looking at a 9mm stone to give me the coverage I wanted, but ended up with over 10mm, which I feel very comfortable with.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I had the same problem @Runningmama, I’m a 6.75 ring size, and 2cts looked small on my big paw. I really envy those PSers with beautiful dainty fingers because 2cts look huge on them.

I was looking at a 9mm stone to give me the coverage I wanted, but ended up with over 10mm, which I feel very comfortable with.

Are you talking about your beautiful Bella? Please be talking about Bella, because everyone else should be, as well! :dance:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @DejaWiz, I am talking about Bella, and I know I’m extremely fortunate that she came my way.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
A stone in an elongated shape will also look larger on your finger as a solitaire. Pear, marquise, emerald cut, oval etc.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is lovely and a size to envy. The band is delicate but not "too thin," imo.

I think the eternity is too small by itself with the solitaire -- with these same elements, I really like the look with a plain spacer like @anangel above.

I think it might help to clarify what you are unhappy about -- size of the solitaire, "width" of the band, etc. Should be easy to make that ring look spectacular on any hand.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have podgy small fingers on podgy small hands
i take a really big ring size, its embarising
i go for wider bands to get finger coverage as i have to priorotize the house over diamonds
i realize not everyone likes the big wide bands of the 70's though :lol-2:

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think the size is lovely on your hand! I’m not a fan or sharp edges most of the time, so I understand your feelings there.

I never found a diamond shape that I thought looked good on my size 7 sausages until I tried an East-west set rectangular cushion. Bingo!

I had my RB reset into a 3 stone with trillion sides for more finger coverage and while I liked it, I didn’t love.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond looks big, but I think the setting is too dainty and low. You need something with a little more thickness and height; maybe that would help! The right setting will make it pop!

Friendly

Rough_Rock
Trade
In my experience - customers should always choose what they love. If you don’t wake up excited to wear it, keep looking. Experiment as much as you are able and find the piece out there for You. It’ll happen.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! I shipped her back tonight. I also had a conversation with my husband about it. About five years ago I lost my original engagement ring down inside center console of my old car. It wasn't able to be retrieved. I've tried a few times to replace this ring but none of them have felt right. My husband to this day is a bit salty about it because he paid what was a lot of money at that time for him during a point in his life where he didn't have much. He picked it out himself. I want him to be part of the replacement process, so I have set some goals for myself and when the time is right I will have him choose from a couple of stones. I think this will help me feel whole about wearing a different ring.

Thanks all! I shipped her back tonight. I also had a conversation with my husband about it. About five years ago I lost my original engagement ring down inside center console of my old car. It wasn't able to be retrieved. I've tried a few times to replace this ring but none of them have felt right. My husband to this day is a bit salty about it because he paid what was a lot of money at that time for him during a point in his life where he didn't have much. He picked it out himself. I want him to be part of the replacement process, so I have set some goals for myself and when the time is right I will have him choose from a couple of stones. I think this will help me feel whole about wearing a different ring.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, but glad you were able to come to a decision that works best for you and your family. The "right" ring is out there. And when you find it, it's going to be AH-MAY-ZING.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a great plan, Runningmama!
Feel free to encourage your husband to join us here at PS: when the time comes for you and your husband to take the journey together to find "the one", you both can have the full support, assistance, and advice of PS at your fingertips, if you'll be willing to allow us the privilege of doing so.
If you choose to keep the search more personal and intimate, then everyone here can appreciate that, as well!
We just humbly ask that you post more awesome photos/videos of the ring that makes your heart sing.
Best regards to you both and good luck in your search!

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Runningmama, I saw this stone and thought of you and your search. It's a GCAL 8x stone.

She's a beauty!!! I'm so color sensitive that all I see is the brown. I was thinking when I'm ready I could open up my search to an H but I don't think I'd be able to after all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results