shape
carat
color
clarity

New RB E-Ring Arrived! R.I.P. my beloved EC.

LolaRVA

Rough_Rock
930AAD45-142B-4BFD-A865-04B6885538ED.jpeg 8030E2D5-5974-476F-A157-6C92B05BAACC.jpeg 61FEE6FC-C71F-4D06-AC23-B9E898B31ED7.jpeg
After catastrophic loss of my first ring, I finally received my replacement! It’s beautiful but I think I’m still processing the loss of my first. Original emerald cut center stone (R.I.P :cry2:) was 2.64 carats. New RB is 2.39. My husband was never a fan of the EC and it was very important for me to choose something that he’d like as well (he wants me to wear what I like but he also paid for and has to look at it all the time...). I was also so heartbroken by the EC loss that I wanted to do something entirely different. No other fancy shapes impressed me, can’t go wrong with a beautiful RB. But it feels so small! I know, absurd to call >2c “small” but I think the EC had more finger coverage. I figured the slightly smaller RB was okay given that it has so much more sparkle, and of course cost/carat for RB is higher... I also had RB set as low as possible on simpler setting, the EC was awkwardly high for me. For replacement I wanted something very classic, secure, and clean, almost non-existent to just showcase the stone. When I was looking at RB stones, all the larger ones looked too big or were way over budget. The stone is GIA XXX, G color, SI2, set in platinum, size 4.25 finger (may need slight downsize later but currently pregnant so wanted some room to swell). HCA is 3.7 but I selected it after personally viewing and comparing multiple stones of varying scores, it was the one I repeatedly liked best within my budget. Depth is 62.6 so I’ve lost a little carat weight there, but it was really negligible on comparison. I couldn’t sacrifice more on color, as I would’ve constantly looked for warmth in H or I. The stone really is beautiful, so clear and white on face and sides.
I’m not trying to seem ungrateful by any means, but this is the last ring I plan to get and I always second-guess big decisions. Can I please get some encouragement, and also knock some sense into me that I haven’t significantly “downsized”? I think I’m getting caught up in the numbers in my mind. Please tell me I’m being crazy!

Vanilla Bling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it,it’s beautiful and I think it’s the perfect size on your finger :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^ Ditto. It's beautiful!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think the RB has more brilliance and presence on your finger. Both are lovely, of course, and quite different from one another. Hopefully you will fall in love with your new beauty!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s really gorgeous and suits your hand! Well done!

Give it some time to get used to and then enjoy the world of stacking :lol:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Add me to the crowd who think it’s gorgeous! And yes....stackers!! The possibilities are endless...I hope that you come to love your new ring as much as you loved the original.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is truly beautiful on your hand. For what it is worth, I think this looks better suited to your hand than the first.

It is a different look so it will take some time for you to get used to it. Meanwhile, just enjoy getting to know your new diamond and I'm sure you will love it too in no time!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are beautiful, and both look fabulous on your finger. You just have to adjust to the new shape/style. The stones are so different, and to look down and see something completely different will take time to register in your mind.
Your new ring is beautiful, and I don’t think you “down-sized”, at all. It’s perfect for you!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful on your hand and by no means small. Maybe the lack of pave on the band is making the setting feel to plain for your tastes. You could also change to a pave band or a tiny halo to add more oomph.

Sorry to hear about loosing your original, nothing can replace the emotional attachment to a stone un-willingly changed - even an upgrade.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband was never a fan of the EC and it was very important for me to choose something that he’d like as well (he wants me to wear what I like but he also paid for and has to look at it all the time...).

This may be a contributing factor to what’s going on; perhaps, you feel as though you compromised, in this process? I realize you stated you wanted something different...but did you want to go THIS different?
If you could do this again, would you choose a MRB, or something else?
I only ask this because I believe you are experiencing inward conflict about this diamond, and there are many probable causes for that. The obvious being the visual difference between the two diamonds. The other not-so-obvious are the inner conflicts you may be experiencing within your own mind.
I hope that this diamond was more your choice, and desire than your DH’s. I understand the motivation to please him, but you love what you love.

I do, sincerely, hope you grow to love this ring as much as your EC! It’s beautiful, classic, and looks damn good on you!! I just hope it speaks to you as much as your EC did! That may take time, but I think you will!

LolaRVA

Rough_Rock
86AB52DE-6B0A-4B19-BE18-7D63B1E64902.jpeg DB7FD944-3897-40CB-82B9-CC543F9E87F8.jpeg 60E59814-51F6-4D33-80DB-3308F875C4FD.jpeg FFA32567-6570-4E70-9F22-2BF84831F039.jpeg 27370941-A98A-43CE-9AD2-04962970DC1E.jpeg Thank you so much, everyone! Yes, an involuntary change is never easy and I appreciate how much you all understand that. This forum is so nice, to not have folks roll their eyes “:boohoo: boo hoo poor you, you don’t know if you like your new 2+ ct diamond as much as your old 2+ ct diamond” I realize there are far greater struggles in life and I’m very lucky that (for today) this is mine.
I would’ve preferred not to make such a big decision during my pregnancy, I change my mind multiple times simply trying to decide what to eat (and then I just eat everything)! Also more challenging now to justify spending $$$$ as I face the reality of what it will cost to raise a child. Perhaps this diamond will be my daughter’s one day (she’ll have to pull it from my cold, dead finger unless her father decides to one day upgrade me - although I can’t imagine needing more, if DSS sets in I’ll need to seek mental health treatment!).

Probably the setting has a lot to do with the adjustment, I love that this RB is very low since I hate too much projection from the side, but of course that places the stone further away from my eye. The pave may make a difference but when I added my wedding band to the original ER I though pave on both was a bit too much, I longed for a plain band. Plus now I don’t have to worry about lost side stones. Here are a few more pics for fun and comparison.

And hmmm, stacking.....

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
86AB52DE-6B0A-4B19-BE18-7D63B1E64902.jpeg DB7FD944-3897-40CB-82B9-CC543F9E87F8.jpeg 60E59814-51F6-4D33-80DB-3308F875C4FD.jpeg FFA32567-6570-4E70-9F22-2BF84831F039.jpeg 27370941-A98A-43CE-9AD2-04962970DC1E.jpeg Thank you so much, everyone! Yes, an involuntary change is never easy and I appreciate how much you all understand that. This forum is so nice, to not have folks roll their eyes “:boohoo: boo hoo poor you, you don’t know if you like your new 2+ ct diamond as much as your old 2+ ct diamond” I realize there are far greater struggles in life and I’m very lucky that (for today) this is mine.
I would’ve preferred not to make such a big decision during my pregnancy, I change my mind multiple times simply trying to decide what to eat (and then I just eat everything)! Also more challenging now to justify spending $$$$ as I face the reality of what it will cost to raise a child. Perhaps this diamond will be my daughter’s one day (she’ll have to pull it from my cold, dead finger unless her father decides to one day upgrade me - although I can’t imagine needing more, if DSS sets in I’ll need to seek mental health treatment!).

Probably the setting has a lot to do with the adjustment, I love that this RB is very low since I hate too much projection from the side, but of course that places the stone further away from my eye. The pave may make a difference but when I added my wedding band to the original ER I though pave on both was a bit too much, I longed for a plain band. Plus now I don’t have to worry about lost side stones. Here are a few more pics for fun and comparison.

And hmmm, stacking.....

YES!!! STACKING!!! :lol-2:

LolaRVA

Rough_Rock
My husband was never a fan of the EC and it was very important for me to choose something that he’d like as well (he wants me to wear what I like but he also paid for and has to look at it all the time...).

This may be a contributing factor to what’s going on; perhaps, you feel as though you compromised, in this process? I realize you stated you wanted something different...but did you want to go THIS different?
If you could do this again, would you choose a MRB, or something else?
I only ask this because I believe you are experiencing inward conflict about this diamond, and there are many probable causes for that. The obvious being the visual difference between the two diamonds. The other not-so-obvious are the inner conflicts you may be experiencing within your own mind.
I hope that this diamond was more your choice, and desire than your DH’s. I understand the motivation to please him, but you love what you love.

I do, sincerely, hope you grow to love this ring as much as your EC! It’s beautiful, classic, and looks damn good on you!! I just hope it speaks to you as much as your EC did! That may take time, but I think you will!

I appreciate the insight, you read my mind! I’ve considered this, how much was my decision vs seeking his approval. Truth be told, he originally bought me a 1.4 ct RB and I always felt guilty for changing stones, the ring is a statement of love from him as much as it is an accessory for me. As much as I adore EC, switching to my last stone was in many ways a stubborn assertion of my independence - I was engaged once before, both men chose RB even with knowledge of my preferences, so I had a point to prove that no one has power to make decisions for me. But my husband is so wonderful and I should’ve treasured what he gave me to begin with. He fully supported me choosing whatever I wanted this time, but I was thrilled to see his positive reaction to this new ring. And I am enjoying admiring it, I think I did make the right choice.

I’ll always be an EC fan but it did leave something to be desired in terms of sparkle. I think this change is good. The RB has a better “flow” if that makes sense?

Diamond psychology is so complex!

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
It’s beautiful and I like it better than the EC. If I am offered the chance to upgrade in the future I would get exactly that. My ring size is 4.25 in the summer and I would so love to rock a honkin stone like yours.
Did you want to see if you’d miss it. Send it over! Absence makes the heart grow fonder.:D

LolaRVA

Rough_Rock
It’s beautiful and I like it better than the EC. If I am offered the chance to upgrade in the future I would get exactly that. My ring size is 4.25 in the summer and I would so love to rock a honkin stone like yours.
Did you want to see if you’d miss it. Send it over! Absence makes the heart grow fonder.:D

:lol-2: If I ever lose all of my fingers, I’ll send it your way! (Oh god, I shouldn’t joke about dismemberment. Might be bad karma :shock:)

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
:lol-2: If I ever lose all of my fingers, I’ll send it your way! (Oh god, I shouldn’t joke about dismemberment. Might be bad karma :shock:)

Goodness!! No dismemberment necessary. I just thought I could wear it for you, to give you some distance and some clarity. Or, if you get tired of it or of thinking about it, you know... ? Keep your fingers, please. How else are we to justify more beautiful baubles for our fingers if we don’t have them?!

LolaRVA

Rough_Rock
Goodness!! No dismemberment necessary. I just thought I could wear it for you, to give you some distance and some clarity. Or, if you get tired of it or of thinking about it, you know... ? Keep your fingers, please. How else are we to justify more beautiful baubles for our fingers if we don’t have them?!

Ok, deal - Fingers will stay, I’ll look you up if I ever need a ring vacation :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald cuts are often cut deeper and face up smaller for their weight. That's why rounds cost more, but they face up larger than many cuts for their weight. I have a 2.3 ct round and a 2.7 ct antique asscher, and they have a similar face up appearance. So I doubt you are really seeing much difference in reality.

Your new ring is gorgeous! You can't go wrong with a nice round! But you have many anniversaries down the road to maybe get another emerald cut! Who says we have to stop at one diamond ring?! Start preparing your DH that for a future anniversary you'd like an anniversary ring!

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Your new ring is gorgeous and I think it gives more finger coverage. I also second the idea of stackers!! :love:

LolaRVA

Rough_Rock
Emerald cuts are often cut deeper and face up smaller for their weight. That's why rounds cost more, but they face up larger than many cuts for their weight. I have a 2.3 ct round and a 2.7 ct antique asscher, and they have a similar face up appearance. So I doubt you are really seeing much difference in reality.

Your new ring is gorgeous! You can't go wrong with a nice round! But you have many anniversaries down the road to maybe get another emerald cut! Who says we have to stop at one diamond ring?! Start preparing your DH that for a future anniversary you'd like an anniversary ring!

Thank you so much for that example! I still have EC GIA report, I compared measurements for kicks - EC 9x6.68, RB 8.47-8.52. And yes, EC depth 68 compared to RB 62.6. So I haven’t really lost finger coverage or carat weight, it’s just redistributed and probably more efficiently so. Like I said, I think it’s all in my head...

Haha in re: anniversary gifts! I’ll keep that plan to myself for now, maybe start planting subliminal messages a few years down the line!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, might be best to give him a little break after this purchase! :lol:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:roll2:Lola, your new ring is just lovely on you. You can always stack it with a step cut band to give you the best of both worlds!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me first say that I’m a huge step-cut lover. But the round looks perfect on your hand. I don’t know if it’s because of the shape, the size, or the crisp white color but it just looks perfect to me.

I’d guess there’s a lot of emotional resistance to it based on the details you’ve shared. Perhaps get a beautiful emerald-cut RHR one day instead? Then both you and your DH would be happy =)2

Fwiw, here’s a visual of the two stones using your finger size and the dimensions you gave of the diamonds. Barely any difference. If you want more finger presence, I second (third?) the recommendation of stackers! :appl:

142491FB-3A72-4911-851B-389582E9CD95.jpeg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful and looks huge on your finger.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new ring is gorgeous and looks perfect on your hand. I am very much an EC fan and I don't think you downsized with your new diamond and setting. I like the idea of stackers including a step cut band. I swap out 4 bands with my ering and enjoy having the variety.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your RB with your pave wedding band - it’s a gorgeous classic look and is extra beautiful with this big white stone! You’ll be able to have a lot of fun adding in new bands too - maybe mixing it up with different metals and textures too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results