shape
carat
color
clarity

New Project: 2ct Oval Semi-Bezel Ring

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I figured I'd start this post now as I'm so excited and I'd love to see other people's semi-bezel rings too :D
This week I dropped off my sweet 2ct oval that I bought from Alex Park. I never imagined being able to afford a 2 carat diamond but when this beauty came up at an amazing price, I decided to go for it. I did worry about my sanity a little as it's an M colour I1 stone but as Alex said, it's a bluffy diamond. Indeed, when it arrived, I could barely make out any inclusions, including a small orange garnet crystal in the middle. The science nerd in me couldn't resist this to be honest. As for the colour, I will forever be amazed by how much the lower colour diamonds can face up white.

Anyway, I finally found a jeweller that appealed to me to make a ring for my stone. The shop is run by two young guys who are passionate about jewellery making. The guy making my ring was excited about my stone and was more than happy to recycle a bunch of gold jewellery I had on hand to make the end price very good indeed!

I decided that I wanted to set the stone east/west in an 18k yellow gold semi-bezel setting. My jeweller is also going to work in two diamonds on the side profile which will come from a pair of diamond earrings my mother gave me. They are lovely but white gold and I am always paranoid of losing earrings so I never wear them. This is a better way to enjoy those stones :) I'm also using the 18K gold from my champagne solitaire ring. My jeweller is going to remove the diamond and head and convert it into a pendant which is a huge win/win situation for me as I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my first one carat purchase :D

The design will be fairly simple but suits my taste for more modern looking jewellery. I should have it ready before Christmas.

Now to break it to my husband that I err... did it again...

If anyone has any semi-bezels for me to look at, please show me!

IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1678.JPG

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! It looks gorgeous and I can’t wait to see the finished project. :love:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh this is going to be amazing! That stone is beautiful! :appl:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your pictures are lovely - and what a cool aspect of the orange garnet! How do they figure out the makeup of an interior crystal I wonder?
Lucky you to have found someone local to work with.
Can’t wait to see your ring - and more pictures of the stone if you can!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is beautiful. Can’t wait to see the finished ring. What a fun project.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone, I would love to see a closeup of the orange garnet crystal!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any inspiration pictures? Sounds so exciting!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Your pictures are lovely - and what a cool aspect of the orange garnet! How do they figure out the makeup of an interior crystal I wonder?
Lucky you to have found someone local to work with.
Can’t wait to see your ring - and more pictures of the stone if you can!

Thank you :) I'll keep this as a sort of diary so I can look back on the process too. Unfortunately you have to destroy the diamond to get to the crystal to analyse it. My guess is that it's a Spessartine garnet (the orange Fanta garnet) since garnets are the more common minerals found inside diamonds. I'll definitely post more pics :)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any inspiration pictures? Sounds so exciting!

Yes :) I've sent a bunch of things to my jeweller and he's on the path to getting something similar but with his own unique touch.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1840 2.jpg
    IMG_1840 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1847 2.jpg
    IMG_1847 2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 74

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone, I would love to see a closeup of the orange garnet crystal!

This is about as close as one can get I think. You can see so many of the dark inclusions this stone has here but I swear I can't make them out without a loupe. They would no doubt affect performance but it sparkles just perfectly for me ❤

The crystal is right in the middle so I'll still be able to look inside with a loupe once set and marvel at nature :D

IMG_2173.jpg

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! It'll be a long wait until Christmas

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing how everything turns out! Love a pretty east-west setting!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wait to see the progress on your new ring! What a unique and beautiful stone!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
This is super cool! I didn’t know you could have garnets in diamonds.

Thank you! Yes, I think most crystal inclusions are baby diamonds but other minerals can grow inside too! :D

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
This is about as close as one can get I think. You can see so many of the dark inclusions this stone has here but I swear I can't make them out without a loupe. They would no doubt affect performance but it sparkles just perfectly for me ❤

The crystal is right in the middle so I'll still be able to look inside with a loupe once set and marvel at nature :D

IMG_2173.jpg

This is so cool!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a lively, glittery, and unique stone! Garnets are hands-down my favorite colored gem so I am rather jealous of this lovely little beauty mark in your diamond! And I'm with you, I don't need mind-clean...eye-clean is plenty clean for me! (especially since we're all getting older, haha)

Can't wait to see her set!! :kiss2:

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Such a lively, glittery, and unique stone! Garnets are hands-down my favorite colored gem so I am rather jealous of this lovely little beauty mark in your diamond! And I'm with you, I don't need mind-clean...eye-clean is plenty clean for me! (especially since we're all getting older, haha)

Can't wait to see her set!! :kiss2:

Thank you so much! I love garnets too but had no idea you can get orange ones. I love learning from my diamond obsession! I love the idea of inclusions being beauty marks ☺️
Ha ha - Yeah... I struggle to make out some letters these days so I can certainly cope with some inclusions!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Nice sparkle to the stone and i can’t wait to see the final ring with all the other stones and metal being recycled!!

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
ah hah! Your the lucky one who score this!! Congrats. Can't wait for the finished product.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Nice sparkle to the stone and i can’t wait to see the final ring with all the other stones and metal being recycled!!

Thank you! Other than being excited about the stone being set, I'm so happy to have made good use of a bunch of jewellery I don't ear anymore :)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
ah hah! Your the lucky one who score this!! Congrats. Can't wait for the finished product.

Ohh! Alex did say a few other people were interested. I never wired money so fast in my life! I couldn't believe it didn't go as fast as all his other goodies :) Thank you and I'll definitely post pics.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! Love the color and the sparkle. I can’t wait to see the ring. I love the inspiration settings. Also - its inspiring that it’s I1. You got a huge, gorgeous stone.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_2173.jpg

That is so cool!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone! Love the color and the sparkle. I can’t wait to see the ring. I love the inspiration settings. Also - its inspiring that it’s I1. You got a huge, gorgeous stone.

Thank you :) I am looking forward to adding a super ideal/VS+ in my life too one day but so far I've been very lucky with the I1s :D

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is SO beautiful, I can't wait to see the final result!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
This is so cool!

Thank you! I was so torn between doing something like your amazing setting in your avatar but the stone screamed east/west to me :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results