shape
carat
color
clarity

New Octavia - opinions on Fluorescence & ring design

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I take it CvB is doing the setting for you?

By the way, I really like the updated look. It's how I had it envisioned in my head back up a few posts but I don't have the Photoshop skills, lol.

What metal do you plan to use? I really like the darker metal and the shadows around the stone as I think enhances the brightness of the stone. Provides a very nice contrast. Plus just my 2 cents but I think the dark metal helps keep it looking masculine.

I tend to like alternative metals. I ended up going with a cobalt chrome, but often regret not getting a darker metal like this. Typically you find that in tungsten, but I've seen some aged/distressed looking platinum that got somewhat close when I was looking.

It was tough finding someone to do custom work in tungsten, but a few guys do exist. When I spoke with CvB I do not think she did tungsten at that time.
Thank you for the suggestion!

I agree, Tungsten is cool, but not many people do it.

We’re casting in in platinum and the “antiquing” the finish with black rhodium and selective polishing.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We’re casting in in platinum and the “antiquing” the finish with black rhodium and selective polishing.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

If you get a wild hair, and decide to go tungsten, let me know. There are a couple of people that do custom that I can toss their contact info your way.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock

That sounds and looks amazing! I can't wait to see the finished ring.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Look forward to seeing the finished product.

If you get a wild hair, and decide to go tungsten, let me know. There are a couple of people that do custom that I can toss their contact info your way.

Can it be cast and worked like other metals?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing stone! Glad a PSer snapped it up! Love the design too...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Dr_Diesel
The stone was cut in 4-2012 and the nothing we have indicate any problems with florescence and agsl graded it medium.
Normally florescence is more uniform, in the picture some of the virtual facets are bright white.
When I first saw the picture it looked to me like a refection of the sky or something in the environment.
That said diamonds sometimes do weird things so I wanted to check with Yoram.
Have you viewed it with a uv light? The cheaper ones are better than the more expensive ones.

Karl

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@Dr_Diesel
The stone was cut in 4-2012 and the nothing we have indicate any problems with florescence and agsl graded it medium.
Normally florescence is more uniform, in the picture some of the virtual facets are bright white.
When I first saw the picture it looked to me like a refection of the sky or something in the environment.
That said diamonds sometimes do weird things so I wanted to check with Yoram.
Have you viewed it with a uv light? The cheaper ones are better than the more expensive ones.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thank you for looking into the stone and checking the notes. I trust you evaluation process and I feel good about the fact that both Yoram and yourself vetted the stone.

The fluorescence under a cheap UV flashlight is very uniform. You’re probably right about the reflection of the sky. I’m rather new to fluorescence in diamonds and so my perceptions are less than discerning.

Either way, I love and appreciate this stone more every day. There is soooo much to appreciate about the design & execution, I am absolutely in awe of this tiny bit of art, architecture, engineering and optics.

Truly brilliant, captivating, expressive and very much alive!

I get a broad range of fluorescent glow depending on how I hold the torch.

The first one is in an otherwise well lit room. The next one is an extreme example in a dark room. I included a few more examples as well. I’m not sure how the protocols work in relation to this task.

It is also worth noting that I live in the tropics, relatively close to the equator. The UV component of sunlight is considerably stronger here than it is at other latitudes.… Hence all the sunburned tourists :lol-2:
03AE0508-02A7-482E-839D-EDAE36953120.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B1978F5-7E1A-40BD-9403-2B4571BCD712.jpeg
    7B1978F5-7E1A-40BD-9403-2B4571BCD712.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 7
  • A01B7D9A-F0EB-4B62-8B94-F51291204230.png
    A01B7D9A-F0EB-4B62-8B94-F51291204230.png
    915.7 KB · Views: 9
  • CB517C1B-A07F-4F5B-A39A-E95ABDB63374.jpeg
    CB517C1B-A07F-4F5B-A39A-E95ABDB63374.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1D0A24C5-8511-42DB-B09C-43171EA33CDE.jpeg
    1D0A24C5-8511-42DB-B09C-43171EA33CDE.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K

just out of curiosity, how many Octavias have been cut to date?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Karl,

Thank you for looking into the stone and checking the notes. I trust you evaluation process and I feel good about the fact that both Yoram and yourself vetted the stone.

The fluorescence under a cheap UV flashlight is very uniform. You’re probably right about the reflection of the sky. I’m rather new to fluorescence in diamonds and so my perceptions are less than discerning.

Either way, I love and appreciate this stone more every day. There is soooo much to appreciate about the design & execution, I am absolutely in awe of this tiny bit of art, architecture, engineering and optics.

Truly brilliant, captivating, expressive and very much alive!

I get a broad range of fluorescent glow depending on how I hold the torch.

The first one is in an otherwise well lit room. The next one is an extreme example in a dark room. I included a few more examples as well. I’m not sure how the protocols work in relation to this task.

It is also worth noting that I live in the tropics, relatively close to the equator. The UV component of sunlight is considerably stronger here than it is at other latitudes.… Hence all the sunburned tourists :lol-2:

kewl pictures :}
Without something to reference it is impossible to judge strength of the response in these types of photos.
It does tell us a few things, In the ones that are not just blown out you can clearly see the various pasterns aka virtual facets of the diamond so it is not oily or milky.
You can also see its uniform across the diamond, there are cases when there is a variation in response in different parts of the diamond but not this one.
That was the 2 things I was looking to learn from the photos.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Around 60 or so + 1 mmd one.

That’s so cool!

I wonder how many of them belong to PS’ers :confused:

…And I can’t say it enough. This design is truly genius.

Last edited:

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can definitely see the blue fluorescence come out in the Tropical sun. Kind of a cool effect!
18A3CE63-E0E5-4F6D-9A8B-04C88314F2EF.jpeg 3BD5E6FF-16DE-4A09-8EA3-B0EEA6475853.jpeg

It really is spectacular! I love the way it looks in its tropical environment.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dr_Diesel, congratulations and welcome to the Octavia family. :wavey:

IMO they are an extraordinary and unique cut.
Mine never ceases to amaze me!

Love your setting too.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dr_Diesel, congratulations and welcome to the Octavia family. :wavey:

IMO they are an extraordinary and unique cut.
Mine never ceases to amaze me!

Love your setting too.

Thank you Kenny! Proud to be in the family!

...and yes, it is endlessly captivating!

I'm so excited about the ring that I can barely tolerate waiting. Ugh. Patience, patience.

I feel like you did when you were waiting for your first Octavia to arrive!

Will keep you posted on updates.

Caysie of CvB Inspired Designs is WONDERFUL BTW.

Last edited:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
On a side note, here's an interesting comparison between my (former) Royal Asscher and the Octavia:

Octavia: 1.46ct I VVS1, 6.3mm x 6.3mm; 32,8% table, 77.3% depth

Royal Asscher: 1.54ct F VS1, 6.40mm x 6.41mm; 57% table, 68% depth

...and yes, the Octavia is much brighter. It's not an artifact. While both ASETs show a lot of red, the light return is notably more intense in the Octavia.

Both are very different but incredible stones!

Last edited:

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa, that is beautiful. Outstanding. Outrageous. Astounding. Flabbergasting. I could go on, but I need my hands pick my jaw up off the floor.

Seriously, congratulations. What a find.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On a side note, here's an interesting comparison between my (former) Royal Asscher and the Octavia:

...and yes, the Octavia is much brighter. It's not an artifact. While both ASETs show a lot of red, the light return is notably more intense in the Octavia.

Firstly congratulations! Hope you enjoy for many years to come...

Although late to this discussion, the numbers posted here caught my attention and wanted to elaborate a bit more...

Many call Octavia Diamonds an Asscher Cut style. Yes, both were designed to very similar square emerald (octagonal) step cut style, yet the comparisons numbers (weight, diameter, table % and total depth %) you list tell their extreme differences. (yes, very extreme for the diamond design world).

As we can notice, even though the Asscher is about 5% heavier in mass it is only larger by 1.5% in diameter.

Total depth differences: 77.3% (Octavia) vs. 68% (RA) meaning the Octavia is 13.5% deeper proportionally.

Table size, the RA table is nearly twice as large as the Octavia table..

Al this means the Octavia Diamond & RA are completely different creatures and their main differences can be very well visually noticed when comparing their individual crown ~ pavilion sections and divisions...., and of course their different play of lights tastes.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Firstly congratulations! Hope you enjoy for many years to come...

Although late to this discussion, the numbers posted here caught my attention and wanted to elaborate a bit more...

Many call Octavia Diamonds an Asscher Cut style. Yes, both were designed to very similar square emerald (octagonal) step cut style, yet the comparisons numbers (weight, diameter, table % and total depth %) you list tell their extreme differences. (yes, very extreme for the diamond design world).

As we can notice, even though the Asscher is about 5% heavier in mass it is only larger by 1.5% in diameter.

Total depth differences: 77.3% (Octavia) vs. 68% (RA) meaning the Octavia is 13.5% deeper proportionally.

Table size, the RA table is nearly twice as large as the Octavia table..

Al this means the Octavia Diamond & RA are completely different creatures and their main differences can be very well visually noticed when comparing their individual crown ~ pavilion sections and divisions...., and of course their different play of lights tastes.

Thanks for weighing in Yoram!

Yes, these two are very different creatures in every respect. I think the fact that the Royal Asscher sold and the Octavia will be one of two rings that I own and wear speaks volumes. I have enormous admiration and respect for both houses. Only room for one diamond on my hand however.

As I said, what you and Karl have created is truly genius. Looking at the Octavia is a neverending study, delight and fascination. I hope you like the design of the ring it will be featured in. I feel some obligation, out of simple respect, to “represent” your work responsibly. I know Caysie thinks as highly of you and your work as so do and know she is as excited about the project as I am!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
It is, actually, a cool look. Fluorescent diamonds are just new to me.

It's still MIND-BLOWING!!!

Case & Point:

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 3.46.11 PM.png

I mean...:kiss2:

It's a rainbow in a gorgeous shape

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! The Octavia is gorgeous! Wonderful design by Karl! Plus, I think all of us who own stones cut by Yoram are extremely fortunate! I can't wait to see Caysie's setting! I am uncertain which design you ended up choosing. I really like Ace Bruin's if his is the one with the hand shot (post 27 bottom pic). I would not enclose the stone with metal on all sides. The simpler the better with such an intricately cut stone, in my opinion.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here is a video of this diamond for another perspective

Congratulations!!! The Octavia is gorgeous! Wonderful design by Karl! Plus, I think all of us who own stones cut by Yoram are extremely fortunate! I can't wait to see Caysie's setting! I am uncertain which design you ended up choosing. I really like Ace Bruin's if his is the one with the hand shot (post 27 bottom pic). I would not enclose the stone with metal on all sides. The simpler the better with such an intricately cut stone, in my opinion.

Thank you!!! Yes, I feel incredibly fortunate!
As for the design, I plan on going with the suggestion by @sledge. My original design was based on @acebruin. The only difference was the 60 degree cuts in the band, dividing it into 8 segments. This was based on an old Gelin Abaci wedding band design I liked. Sledge’s suggestion was about contract. I don’t intend to surround the stone but rather have a background of dark metal to bring out the shape. Does that make sense?

here’s what I started with:
2A4158EA-9C92-41BA-9E1C-33005EBE83E1.jpeg
Sledge’s suggestion lead to this:
4D0502A1-E282-4806-A5D2-6123869D0C19.jpeg

the designs I pulled from were these:

280CF05F-C49F-4274-B269-35E7AABCD079.png
0B7E9DEF-216D-4474-9DE1-E7C190EAABFD.jpeg
99E24142-3F82-449E-AFA7-261DF49ED778.jpeg
Caysie loved sledge’s suggestion:
A40876C8-8FDC-45B5-B8D9-D7363E00BD21.jpeg

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Used to own this VSB Octavia...

IMG_2412.JPG

Interesting how similar the Very strong blue fluorescence and the medium blue fluorescence look in these photos Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 2.16.35 PM.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I just can't see how the stone is attached in Sledge's design. Is it bezeled or will there be prongs? Is it open under the stone to be able to clean it? I guess this will be much easier to see once Caysie has CADs done. I just can't figure it out from that image.

I love the fluorescence!!!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ok, I just can't see how the stone is attached in Sledge's design. Is it bezeled or will there be prongs? Is it open under the stone to be able to clean it? I guess this will be much easier to see once Caysie has CADs done. I just can't figure it out from that image.

I love the fluorescence!!!

It is exactly the same as in Acebruin's ring: a "tension"-type mounting with a solid basket and an open back for cleaning. cvb_acebruin - CAD .png Acebruin Ring.PNG

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Here are a couple more comparison videos:

BTW, the reason I am posting these comparisons is in response to a post from a few years back:

Just adding to our library of resources!

I think these videos illustrate the extraordinary precision and regularity of the Octavia as well as its remarkable intensity of light return - and, as Yoram pointed out, shows the marked differences between the Octavia and what we typically consider an Asscher or square emerald cuts.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting how similar the Very strong blue fluorescence and the medium blue fluorescence look in these photos Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 2.16.35 PM.png

Yes, it shows why you can not judge the strength of the responce without a reference in the photo.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually there are a zillion things that can result in diamond looking different in pics.

The only way to approach a fair comparison of the appearance of two diamonds is to place them both side by side under a camera and take one single pic of the pair of them.

Even then, one might be closer to the UV light source than the other - rendering the fluorescence comparison inaccurate.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results