shape
carat
color
clarity

New Octavia - opinions on Fluorescence & ring design

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
There are amazing design/ sets that you have made.

My eye / aesthetic goes for the normal (east west?) setting, and not the kite setting.

I love the tension setting, as it shows of the stone really well.

however, I am a little clumsy with rings- i drop things between the csr seat and centre consol, and I try and get it out. I know I should take my ring off before I go searching, but am lazy. I also take my rings off several times a day cos of work. And I have been known to drop my rings onto carpet. As such, I feel that the tension setting isn’t quite for me.

I suspect others might say that the tension setting is solid enough that it can withstand those kinds of every day workload/ mishaps. But I am in Australian and sending it back to USA to have it checked each time gets $$.

Yes there are vendors that have tension setting, but they do not set outside stones.

I do like the grooves in the band, too. It adds depth and unique- ness to the band. And the kite set is also different.

Brushed finish is also my preference- cos I am clumsy.

But, you have seen the stone kite set and you love it, which is the most important. You want to look at your ring and go- yeah!!! I did this and I love it, still, 10yrs from now.

Aesthetics changes, sure. And with that, a reset may be what is needed.

The most important thing is that you love the result of what you make. So, take the time to understand what you like and don’t like…. Absorb snd ask as many questions of us.

8mm band, kite set and groove on band. Those are what I understand you really like so far.

Keep going with drawings/ photoshop to finalise the likes and dislikes.

I love seeing this all unfold.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever you choose is going to be amazing! I vote for platinum finish vs black rhodium. I personally prefer the stone set "normally " vs kite, but both will be lovely. I also like the idea of a faux tension setting to really show off the octavia .

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. Although Caysie makes lovely rings, I don't think this aesthetic fits with her normal designs. I would personally work with Bruce boone for this, since he makes rings with this "vibe" all the time, and I bet he would work with you to customize it. I have a tension setting from him and adore it

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There are amazing design/ sets that you have made.

My eye / aesthetic goes for the normal (east west?) setting, and not the kite setting.

I love the tension setting, as it shows of the stone really well.

however, I am a little clumsy with rings- i drop things between the csr seat and centre consol, and I try and get it out. I know I should take my ring off before I go searching, but am lazy. I also take my rings off several times a day cos of work. And I have been known to drop my rings onto carpet. As such, I feel that the tension setting isn’t quite for me.

I suspect others might say that the tension setting is solid enough that it can withstand those kinds of every day workload/ mishaps. But I am in Australian and sending it back to USA to have it checked each time gets $$.

Yes there are vendors that have tension setting, but they do not set outside stones.

I do like the grooves in the band, too. It adds depth and unique- ness to the band. And the kite set is also different.

Brushed finish is also my preference- cos I am clumsy.

But, you have seen the stone kite set and you love it, which is the most important. You want to look at your ring and go- yeah!!! I did this and I love it, still, 10yrs from now.

Aesthetics changes, sure. And with that, a reset may be what is needed.

The most important thing is that you love the result of what you make. So, take the time to understand what you like and don’t like…. Absorb snd ask as many questions of us.

8mm band, kite set and groove on band. Those are what I understand you really like so far.

Keep going with drawings/ photoshop to finalise the likes and dislikes.

I love seeing this all unfold.

Your insights are astute and thought-provoking as always. We seem to share similar habits that also have me leaning away from a true tension setting. Moreover, I would also have to send it to the mainland US every time I needed it checked. So, longevity is important.

Everyone's input has been quite helpful and, at this point, I'm toying with a hybrid of the existing designs and Kenny's "Sidegrooves" from Boonerings:

Thoughts?

I'll probably still go with a faux tension setting for security and also because I like the look and feel of platinum over titanium or cobalt chrome.

IMG_0291.PNG IMG_0294.JPG IMG_0295.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0291.PNG
    IMG_0291.PNG
    442.5 KB · Views: 5

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ps. Although Caysie makes lovely rings, I don't think this aesthetic fits with her normal designs. I would personally work with Bruce boone for this, since he makes rings with this "vibe" all the time, and I bet he would work with you to customize it. I have a tension setting from him and adore it

Really? She seemed really stoked about the design.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I really like the latest adaptation.

Another thing to consider is the depth/ height of the stone.

Octavia in its beauty is a deep diamond, therefore sitting higher than most, off the finger. I forget the dimensions.

It seems you are going to be wearing on the pointing finger, based on all of your drawings. Be mindful that it “could”be a fabric catcher/ knock furniture and such like; Compared to wearing it on the ring finger.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Octavia in its beauty is a deep diamond, therefore sitting higher than most, off the finger. I forget the dimensions.
The pavilion depth is much smaller than a princess cut and a common crown height for an mrb is 15%, Octavia is 24%+ so it has a higher crown height.

Last edited:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@Karl_K thanx for the correction about the depth and crown heights I referenced.

I wanted @Dr_Diesel to understand the combined total “height” from “culet” to table or combined pavilion and crown. In particular, if he hasn’t worn diamonds rings before. And, my use of terms was incorrect.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K thanx for the correction about the depth and crown heights I referenced.
You were correct, I was just clarifying.
The pavilion depth is important in some ring designs to keep the culet off the finger and the crown height is well the height above the girdle.
The combined is not that important as them individually in the context of a setting.

I also agree that a ring on a pointing finger is slightly more susceptible to hard knocks but no where near as much as a pinky ring.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I really like the latest adaptation.

Another thing to consider is the depth/ height of the stone.

It seems you are going to be wearing on the pointing finger, based on all of your drawings. Be mindful that it “could”be a fabric catcher/ knock furniture and such like; Compared to wearing it on the ring finger.

Thank you again @gregchang35 and @Karl_K !

yes, I’ve been contemplating this for awhile. I am accustomed to wearing a sapphire ring on my right middle finger. It’s wider, heavier but about the same height as this one should be.

I tried wearing rings on various fingers over the past week or so and the left pointer feels natural for some reason I cannot fully explain. It got in the way less than the one on my middle finger actually.

the sapphire ring is my daily wear, though this one may not be. The Octavia is hardly subdued in its appearance! Not quite sure if I can pull that one off on the daily but we will see!

The stone is currently on its way to Caysie, so hopefully we’ll be seeing some metalwork in the upcoming weeks!

Here’s the other ring I wear everyday:
7F3E458A-53C7-4150-BDCD-F2EB61F5A5CC.jpeg 8AEED916-606D-4C86-91B6-A54A20D9C641.jpeg 29838E3A-7186-476E-9B4A-BBEC393FED26.jpeg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Love the blue sapphire and emerlsds cut diamond ring!
The Pointing finger it is! Cos that is how I rock as well. Whatever feels most comfortable.

The Octavia should be as comfy as yiru sappire in terms of wear- ability.

For me, I Woudl be rocking it everyday!!!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Love the blue sapphire and emerlsds cut diamond ring!
The Pointing finger it is! Cos that is how I rock as well. Whatever feels most comfortable.

The Octavia should be as comfy as yiru sappire in terms of wear- ability.

For me, I Woudl be rocking it everyday!!!

Haha!! And maybe that will be so!

Will keep you posted!

…and grazie per le complimente!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love your sapphire's color! :kiss2:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I wonder about the depth of the grooves.
I think they look deep, too deep(?), that it may affect the integrity of the ring?

Hope CVB is able to provide guidance on this.
I also think that the shank on sides are not evenly approaching the diamond. It may be Jsut me, but the right side seems more rounded and high in its approach. Compared to the left, which looks more direct in approach. I hope that makes sense. I tried to highlight it but not sure if it comes across well.

Or if these are your photo shop pics, then understand. If they are cads- then I would question the flow/ evenness of the shank.

64FE27BC-C8AF-4EF9-A1FD-A810513B7B74.jpeg

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I wonder about the depth of the grooves.
I think they look deep, too deep(?), that it may affect the integrity of the ring?

Hope CVB is able to provide guidance on this.
I also think that the shank on sides are not evenly approaching the diamond. It may be Jsut me, but the right side seems more rounded and high in its approach. Compared to the left, which looks more direct in approach. I hope that makes sense. I tried to highlight it but not sure if it comes across well.

Or if these are your photo shop pics, then understand. If they are cads- then I would question the flow/ evenness of the shank.

64FE27BC-C8AF-4EF9-A1FD-A810513B7B74.jpeg

Thank you so much for your caring attention to this!

I agree with everything you say…and would also be concerned if these were CAD drawings.

These are all just freehand mock-ups done on my phone. Hard to get the details down using my fingers on a little screen!

CvB will be doing CAD renderings next week :razz:

in case you may be wondering, the profile and “diamond hammock” (:lol-2: as someone referred to it) is based on this:

DC3AFF07-207A-44E4-811A-458F30FB87FF.jpeg

Here’s an attempt to correct my rendering. Again, it’s freehand on my phone…

667E3F85-56DB-4D39-A408-1F7EE3ABAF4C.png

Last edited:

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for your caring attention to this!

I agree with everything you say…and would also be concerned if these were CAD drawings.

These are all just freehand mock-ups done on my phone. Hard to get the details down using my fingers on a little screen!

CvB will be doing CAD renderings next week :razz:

in case you may be wondering, the profile and “diamond hammock” (:lol-2: as someone referred to it) is based on this:

DC3AFF07-207A-44E4-811A-458F30FB87FF.jpeg

Here’s an attempt to correct my rendering. Again, it’s freehand on my phone…

667E3F85-56DB-4D39-A408-1F7EE3ABAF4C.png

That 'diamond hammock' ring in the photo is a very cool design. Is there a thread on it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the final version MUCH better! (I understand you want it wide but I'd cut a half mm off the top and the bottom which will make the stone not look too small for the setting. 7mm is still wide!) The only other thing that Caysie needs to address are those 4 metal edges above and beneath the stone. Those need to be angled or smoothed out or something. That might make it look better even with the wider band. While Caysie doesn't do a lot of men's rings, she is very gifted in design. I am certain she can help you make it even better! Oh, and I love platinum, too!

1624576848867.png

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That 'diamond hammock' ring in the photo is a very cool design. Is there a thread on it?

The platinum ring evolved in this thread.

...or are you referring to the one in rose gold, pictured in the flower?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be perfection

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
The platinum ring evolved in this thread.

...or are you referring to the one in rose gold, pictured in the flower?

The rose gold one. I'm wondering who designed it.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade

it’s an adaptation of Bliss Lau’s “Acoustic” ring.

she typically does it with a round stone, but this one was adapted for a very octagonal Asscher

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
I love the evolution of your design and that acoustic ring is so interesting. One question it brings up for me is how much the 2nd ring (the oval that the solitaire sits in) is functioning like the bridge/shank of a cathedral setting to make the unique, all shoulder, geometry of the upper ring more comfortable. Put another way, does the Acoustic ring work on its own as a solitaire, or does need both rings for normal wear? (I hope this poor drawing perhaps makes the point of my question?)

1624600150063.jpeg
A771C83E-98D2-46F1-9EC2-4C154BE6F51E.jpeg

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock

it’s an adaptation of Bliss Lau’s “Acoustic” ring.

she typically does it with a round stone, but this one was adapted for a very octagonal Asscher

Thank you. I wasn't familiar with her. She is a seriously creative designer.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love the evolution of your design and that acoustic ring is so interesting. One question it brings up for me is how much the 2nd ring (the oval that the solitaire sits in) is functioning like the bridge/shank of a cathedral setting to make the unique, all shoulder, geometry of the upper ring more comfortable. Put another way, does the Acoustic ring work on its own as a solitaire, or does need both rings for normal wear? (I hope this poor drawing perhaps makes the point of my question?)

1624600150063.jpeg
A771C83E-98D2-46F1-9EC2-4C154BE6F51E.jpeg

It totally works on its own. Very comfortable actually. The shape is also very forgiving when it comes to swollen fingers or moving past knuckles.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you. I wasn't familiar with her. She is a seriously creative designer.

She really is. She does brilliant work.

The bench work is excellent in most respects however, personally, I found the bezel a little bit less precise than I hoped.

While it is very challenging to pull off a clean bezel for an Asscher, considering what she charges, I had my expectations set high.

I strongly believe in reimbursing for good design work.

When fees border on price gouging, it really needs to show in all aspects of the finished product.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results