shape
carat
color
clarity

New Octavia - opinions on Fluorescence & ring design

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
(take dramatic pause to take in the truth of that statement...)

With that said, I do have a question about fluorescence. Is this appearance typical for a stone with medium blue fluorescence in direct sunlight?

Does it seem over-blue or hazy? Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 3.21.15 PM.png

I LOVE the stone and was instantly inspired to create a new ring with it (below)...though a little surprised by this appearance in sunlight.

Maybe something I just need to get used to?

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post the lab report.

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
WOW. I don’t know anything about the flour question but I’ve never seen anything like that stone! Incredible!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#jealous

Is this the one from GoG?

On the design, I would prefer to fill in the 45 degree corners with the darker metal to help define the cut corners better. Also maybe have a "lip" on the top and bottom.

Chicken scratch designs...

InkedIMG_9694_LI.jpg

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
(take dramatic pause to take in the truth of that statement...)

With that said, I do have a question about fluorescence. Is this appearance typical for a stone with medium blue fluorescence in direct sunlight?

Does it seem over-blue or hazy? Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 3.21.15 PM.png

I LOVE the stone and was instantly inspired to create a new ring with it (below)...though a little surprised by this appearance in sunlight.

Maybe something I just need to get used to?

I love the look of florescence. This stone is amazing.

Though it isn't the same cut...I have rose cut with florescence and it looks really cool in the sun. I have had several. Though it doesn't appear hazy to me. Example in sunlight and shade.

1623425035804.jpg 1623421030000.jpg

Attachments

• 1623423221305.jpg
    1623423221305.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 11

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love the look of florescence. This stone is amazing.

Though it isn't the same cut...I have rose cut with florescence and it looks really cool in the sun. I have had several. Though it doesn't appear hazy to me. Example in sunlight and shade.
It is, actually, a cool look. Fluorescent diamonds are just new to me.

It's still MIND-BLOWING!!!

Case & Point:

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 3.46.11 PM.png

I mean...:kiss2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what your actual eyes are seeing, but the first picture seems very clear & crisp. The second one seems to have a haze or softness to it that the other doesn't. I'm not a graphic designer but I am sure there is a term for this.

In side-by-side you can see what I mean. However, look at the background. You will see it too is more hazy/soft than the original picture. I am thinking this could be a camera effect of sorts.

compare.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh! Nice one @sledge!!!

....and yes, it is!

Thanks. And thanks, lol. I was eye balling that Octavia for the same reasons and nearly pulled the trigger. Then I figured the wife would skin me alive.

So you likely saved my life. I have been toying with the idea for a few days now.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Not sure what your actual eyes are seeing, but the first picture seems very clear & crisp. The second one seems to have a haze or softness to it that the other doesn't. I'm not a graphic designer but I am sure there is a term for this.

In side-by-side you can see what I mean. However, look at the background. You will see it too is more hazy/soft than the original picture. I am thinking this could be a camera effect of sorts.

compare.png
It's not the camera. This effect may even be slightly more pronounced in person

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks. And thanks, lol. I was eye balling that Octavia for the same reasons and nearly pulled the trigger. Then I figured the wife would skin me alive.

So you likely saved my life. I have been toying with the idea for a few days now.

Happy to be of service :lol-2:

That was, after all, my entire plan....to save your life and secure your wisdom on Pricescope for years to come. :lol:

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope you used the fact it "only" scored an AGS1 to beat GoG down on the price. That was going to be my strategy anyhow.

Despite the fact Karl & Yoram said in the other thread, it was simply a technicality. AGS had defined proportions and despite being a stunner, it didn't fit inside those parameters so it got dinged on the grading. They revamped the proportions ever so slightly to get a 0 and not affect light performance.

Of course, when bartering, you don't mention the latter. Just the fact it's a 1 instead of 0. :lol-2:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I hope you used the fact it "only" scored an AGS1 to beat GoG down on the price. That was going to be my strategy anyhow.

Despite the fact Karl & Yoram said in the other thread, it was simply a technicality. AGS had defined proportions and despite being a stunner, it didn't fit inside those parameters so it got dinged on the grading. They revamped the proportions ever so slightly to get a 0 and not affect light performance.

Of course, when bartering, you don't mention the latter. Just the fact it's a 1 instead of 0. :lol-2:

I tried everything. They wouldn't budge. Said they had $14K into it so can't discount it anymore. Their attitude was essentially "take it or leave it." I'm pretty sure it is (was) the only Octavia on the market PERIOD...so, they know....

Owning one of these is truly owning a piece of history.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG that stone is BEAUTIFUL!!! NO, is is not haze. It’s just reflecting light from behind you. Haze would look like when you pour milk into water. That is one amazing fireball!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my god my jealosy is out of controlllllll. I was *thisclose* to buying that stone but just couldn't mentally handle the cost (not because it's not worth it but because current state of my finances made it feel like too much to spend on 1 thing). It's PERFECTION and the blue fluor somehow makes it cooler. I can't WAIT to see how you set it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

it didn't fit inside those parameters so it got dinged on the grading. They revamped the proportions ever so slightly to get a 0 and not affect light performance.
What are the parameters for 0 cut Asschers? :confused:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really really beautiful stone :love:

Just an FYI, @Dr_Diesel - if you have PNG versions of your original non-screenshotted photos you can upload them as-is to PS, no need to convert to JPG or some other lossy format. PNGs will render on PS with the same fidelity as the originals.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sure @Karl_K can give specifics. I am not certain.

The other thread basically confirmed my thoughts that the first batch (which this stone is a part of) is very different than a normal asscher. Since AGS didn't have an "Octavia" class it got slightly dinged. Sort of like a false-negative.

Karl mentioned they tweaked the proportions a bit to fall within the 0 criteria.

Whatever number is on the report, it matters not. The stone is freaking amazing!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would have to look it up but I can say its extremely arbitrary and you can follow all their rules and cutting guideline numbers and cut a stone that totally sucks.

@Dr_Diesel Congrates!!!!!!
Before discussing your question I want to talk to Yoram and see what his notes say for this stone.
I dont recall off the top off my head when it was cut but it looks like gog got an updated report in 2020.

I know this stone was vetted by both Yoram and Jon for any major issues including fluorescence.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks amazing.
No one should ever examine a diamond in direct sunlight unless it is for fun alone.
Shaded sunlight is perfect for assessing fluoro hazy over blue milky.
Even sun coming thru a window will over excite a diamond.
Windows block very little of the UV that creates fluorescence.

The strongest excitation occurs at 395nm (not 365nm as per Michael Cowing's erroneous reports). These frequencies travel through all types of window glass (but not through Lexan that specs and sunglasses are made from).

"The 3D fluorescence spectra indicated that this N3-related emission reaches its maximum at 395 nm excitation energy and is not excited above 430 nm"
from https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/summer-2013-luo-fluorescence-optical-defects
Two simple demo's for fun:

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
@Dr_Diesel amazing! I didn't know you were in the market for Octavia... We can be ring cousins!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@Dr_Diesel amazing! I didn't know you were in the market for Octavia... We can be ring cousins!

Haha! I didn't know either!

A number of events took place like dominos...and this happened! Totally meant to be at so many levels =)2

I was totally inspired by your design and the variant above came to me in a flash the moment I saw this rock.

Caysie (of CvB) got equally excited about the project!

I am currently in the queue for CAD rendering on June 28th. The ring should be done sometime in August...and we'll be ring brothers! Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.42.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.46.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.46.25 AM.png

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caysie (of CvB) got equally excited about the project!

I am currently in the queue for CAD rendering on June 28th. The ring should be done sometime in August...and we'll be ring brothers! Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.42.52 AM.png

I take it CvB is doing the setting for you?

By the way, I really like the updated look. It's how I had it envisioned in my head back up a few posts but I don't have the Photoshop skills, lol.

What metal do you plan to use? I really like the darker metal and the shadows around the stone as I think enhances the brightness of the stone. Provides a very nice contrast. Plus just my 2 cents but I think the dark metal helps keep it looking masculine.

I tend to like alternative metals. I ended up going with a cobalt chrome, but often regret not getting a darker metal like this. Typically you find that in tungsten, but I've seen some aged/distressed looking platinum that got somewhat close when I was looking.

It was tough finding someone to do custom work in tungsten, but a few guys do exist. When I spoke with CvB I do not think she did tungsten at that time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results