shape
carat
color
clarity

Octavia Asscher

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are Octavia asschers still around and if so who cuts them?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG has one...other than that I know nothing! Hopefully, someone else can answer your questions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are Octavia asschers still around and if so who cuts them?

Yoram cuts them (as said above). There aren't many available that are already cut (see the one from GOG, it's AMAZING but one of the few that's available). However, he cuts them to order so if you are interested I would contact him. Word of caution though is that there used to be more of them in a variety of sizes, but now the starting price for them is around 12K (I know bc I just asked him a month or so ago). Just an FYI!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... There aren't many available that are already cut (see the one from GOG, it's AMAZING but one of the few that's available). ...

Now a rarity, I'm glad I bought two Octavias, and got to review a few others in my home when choosing back when there was a selection.

I looked for that one on GOG, but their search tool makes it virtually impossible to find.
I only found it because I recognize the cut pattern.

GOG's search tool returns 498 asschers.
Then, under the "BRAND" category it show no Octavias, but does list two "SIGNATURE ASSCHER"s.

Viewing both, I immediately recognized the Octavia pattern.
But 99.99999% of shoppers won't be able to find it because the name Octavia is nowhere on GOG listing or website. :confused:
The only place I found the term Octavia is when I clicked on the listing's AGS report button, then I read the Comments.

Perhaps it's a careless omission.
Or perhaps it's a trademark legal thing since GOG apparently no longer has a contract for new Octavias.
Clarification on that is welcome.

FWIW, it's a 1.46 ct, I VVS1 with medium blue fluorescence, for $12,375.
It's video is one of the best I've ever seen of an Octavia because the fireworks show is quite true to life under that type of lighting.

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram cuts them (as said above). There aren't many available that are already cut (see the one from GOG, it's AMAZING but one of the few that's available). However, he cuts them to order so if you are interested I would contact him. Word of caution though is that there used to be more of them in a variety of sizes, but now the starting price for them is around 12K (I know bc I just asked him a month or so ago). Just an FYI!

what color/clarity/carat was that for?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what color/clarity/carat was that for?

I edited my above post to add it is 1.46 ct, I VVS1 with medium blue fluorescence, and wire price is $12,375.

Also I posted a link to the listing.
Scroll up. :))

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I edited my above post to add it is 1.46 ct, I VVS1 with medium blue fluorescence, and wire price is $12,375.

Also I posted a link to the listing.
Scroll up. :))

No I saw that - I was asking lovedogs because they asked about custom cutting and said it started at $12k. I'd expect custom cutting and an already-available one to possibly be different.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I saw that - I was asking lovedogs because they asked about custom cutting and said it started at $12k. I'd expect custom cutting and an already-available one to possibly be different.

I asked what the minimum price would be (e.g. lowest color/size/clarity they'd be willing to cut), because I know in the past folks could get a smallish one for like 5kish. Sadly they aren't cutting small stones like that anymore and said that the minimum price was 12Kish but didn't specify exact color/clarity since I was asking a more general question about where the pricing starts. Yoram said that this is due to the time involved in cutting them, so it just doesn't make financial sense for him to cut smaller/less expensive stones.

I asked about minimum pricing for Lab grown too, and it's ironically a bit higher (he said 13/14K minimum), but gets you a much larger stone for the money, obviously.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Or perhaps it's a trademark legal thing since GOG apparently no longer has a contract for new Octavias.
Thank you for the heads up Karl...

Kenny.., I suppose an answer to your question should come from GOG, there was never any contract with GOG, back then it was all about a relationship, and my relationship was with Jonathan Weingarten.

Presently Octavia Diamonds are offered in a bespoke fashion only. I had a few retailers enquiring about marketing Octavia diamonds (including GOG).., but wanted a "bespoke type" of supply which is not possible in our current rough diamond environment unfortunately.

Regarding starting price levels for Octavia Diamonds, the logic behind its value is quite simple..., beginning with an exclusive consideration which goes directly to Karl, its designer. (BTW..., also non-contractual and solely relationship based)

Actual crafting costs based on the following:

A) My personal involvement in the rough selection and planning of each and every diamond I supply (not exclusive to Octavia Diamonds but also).

B) It is one of the most complicated cuts to professionally and successfully achieve that I am aware of..

C) It is cut by one of the most skilled cutters in the world who masters both 3D symmetry & optical light behavior in diamonds..., such professional levels are crucial for successfully completing just one Octavia Diamond.

D) Every Octavia Diamond takes us on its exclusive cutting journey, the fastest I was able to complete just one Octavia was 7 full working days, the most prolonged was a over 3 weeks. (lets take 10 days as an average)

Another important issue is that none of the above points change with size..., most of the time and energy goes into the final finetuning of the 3D optical symmetry. Its a painstaking process that actually loses minimal weight-mass but as far as time, we are in a twilight zone, (we never really know ahead when we decide to stop pursuing perfection).

As most of you know, I am based in Israel..., today one of the highest "cost of living" countries in the Western world. I have a wonderful team of craftsmen who after many years were able to reach and achieve such high craftsmanship quality levels.

For those of you who are familiar with Octavia Diamonds and the visual experiences it offers..., and now knowing and understanding the above facts..., I believe the logic behind the value is better perceived.

Thank you.

P.S. want to get some insights into what it takes to plan and craft one Octavia? I welcome you to read the journey to our first Octavia MMD at https://gemconcepts.net/lab-grown-diamonds-exploring-open-mindedly/

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked what the minimum price would be (e.g. lowest color/size/clarity they'd be willing to cut), because I know in the past folks could get a smallish one for like 5kish. Sadly they aren't cutting small stones like that anymore and said that the minimum price was 12Kish but didn't specify exact color/clarity since I was asking a more general question about where the pricing starts. Yoram said that this is due to the time involved in cutting them, so it just doesn't make financial sense for him to cut smaller/less expensive stones.

I asked about minimum pricing for Lab grown too, and it's ironically a bit higher (he said 13/14K minimum), but gets you a much larger stone for the money, obviously.

All good to know. I've always wanted one but even just emailing about this is too intimidating for me, lol. I like to have an idea of the range and the money saved up before I even inquire because I worry about being a bother.

Kenny.., I suppose an answer to your question should come from GOG, there was never any contract with GOG, back then it was all about a relationship, and my relationship was with Jonathan Weingarten.

Presently Octavia Diamonds are offered in a bespoke fashion only. I had a few retailers enquiring about marketing Octavia diamonds (including GOG).., but wanted a "bespoke type" of supply which is not possible in our current rough diamond environment unfortunately.

Regarding starting price levels for Octavia Diamonds, the logic behind its value is quite simple..., beginning with an exclusive consideration which goes directly to Karl, its designer. (BTW..., also non-contractual and solely relationship based)

A) My personal involvement in the rough selection and planning of each and every diamond I supply (not exclusive to Octavia Diamonds but also).

B) It is one of the most complicated cuts to professionally and successfully achieve that I am aware of..

C) It is cut by one of the most skilled cutters in the world who masters both 3D symmetry & optical light behavior in diamonds..., such professional levels are crucial for successfully completing just one Octavia Diamond.

D) Every Octavia Diamond takes us on its exclusive cutting journey, the fastest I was able to complete just one Octavia was 7 full working days, the most prolonged was a over 3 weeks. (lets take 10 days as an average)

Another important issue is that none of the above points change with size..., most of the time and energy goes into the final finetuning of the 3D optical symmetry. Its a painstaking process that actually loses minimal weight-mass but as far as time, we are in a twilight zone, (we never really know ahead when we decide to stop pursuing perfection).

As most of you know, I am based in Israel..., today one of the highest "cost of living" countries in the Western world. I have a wonderful team of craftsmen who after many years were able to reach and achieve such high craftsmanship quality levels.

For those of you who are familiar with Octavia Diamonds and the visual experiences it offers..., and now knowing and understanding the above facts..., I believe the logic behind the value is better perceived.

Thank you.

P.S. want to get some insights into what it takes to plan and craft one Octavia? I welcome you to read the journey to our first Octavia MMD at https://gemconcepts.net/lab-grown-diamonds-exploring-open-mindedly/

Thank you for this! I knew it was a difficult and precise cut but 7 days - three weeks is certainly a lot!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All good to know. I've always wanted one but even just emailing about this is too intimidating for me, lol. I like to have an idea of the range and the money saved up before I even inquire because I worry about being a bother.

I certainly hope I didnt let you feel this way..., I welcome you to contact me directly with any questions you may have, certainly wont be a bother for me. As I just tried to explain the logic behind the value (above), its value was not meant to intimidate people..., on the contrary, I love to get my clients involved in the bespoke process itself. Thinking about a bespoke process in general is a bit worrisome in itself and that's why I try to offer a most relaxing atmosphere by sharing a lot of the journey openly.., just a bit more intimate.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly hope I didnt let you feel this way..., I welcome you to contact me directly with any questions you may have, certainly wont be a bother for me. As I just tried to explain the logic behind the value (above), its value was not meant to intimidate people..., on the contrary, I love to get my clients involved in the bespoke process itself. Thinking about a bespoke process in general is a bit worrisome in itself and that's why I try to offer a most relaxing atmosphere by sharing a lot of the journey openly.., just a bit more intimate.

Yoram has always been extremely kind to me despite the fact that I can't afford an octavia :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Yoram.
You are a master diamond cutter, and Karl a master designer. :clap::clap::clap:
Brilliant work, guys! ... Pun intended. :wacko:

I relish my Octavia every day! :dance::dance::dance:

I'm amazed there is not a huge demand.
I've tried to help spread the word with photography.
I find a loose Octavia to be the quintessential muse for macro photography.

Too bad there isn't an Octavia booth at JCK Las Vegas every year ... right next to the Royal Asscher booth. :Up_to_something:
Retailers, and in turn customers, really must see an Octavia in person to appreciate it's worth the price.

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Now a rarity, I'm glad I bought two Octavias, and got to review a few others in my home when choosing back when there was a selection.

I looked for that one on GOG, but their search tool makes it virtually impossible to find.
I only found it because I recognize the cut pattern.

GOG's search tool returns 498 asschers.
Then, under the "BRAND" category it show no Octavias, but does list two "SIGNATURE ASSCHER"s.

Viewing both, I immediately recognized the Octavia pattern.
But 99.99999% of shoppers won't be able to find it because the name Octavia is nowhere on GOG listing or website. :confused:
The only place I found the term Octavia is when I clicked on the listing's AGS report button, then I read the Comments.

FWIW, it's a 1.46 ct, I VVS1 with medium blue fluorescence, for $12,375.
It's video is one of the best I've ever seen of an Octavia because the fireworks show is quite true to life under that type of lighting.

Holy balls, some small depth and ample depth! So bright I could never guess the color.
Too amazing for me, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Retailers, and in turn customers, really must see an Octavia in person to appreciate it's worth the price.
Yup, A must own for all step cut fans. Ain't nothing like sporting an Octavia IRL. :love: . My dream stone is a G/H VS 3.75 ct Octavia. faintthud.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, A must own for all step cut fans. Ain't nothing like sporting an Octavia IRL. :love: . My dream stone is a G/H VS 3.75 ct Octavia. faintthud.gif

Here DF.
You're gonna need this.

Now you owe me a beer.

DF.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need about $100K.

Here ya go, my good friend ...

KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diagem I appreciate you sharing the intimate details of what it entails to craft an Octavia. Your response was enlightening, humbling and transparent. Even noting your “gentlemen’s agreement” with @Karl_K.

I know in a price driven world it doesn’t get said often enough, so THANK YOU for your dedication, attention to detail and superb craftsmanship exhibited by you personally, @Karl_K the designer and your cutting team. The diamond world is a better place as a result.

I hope one day I will have an opportunity to see one in the flesh & blood, and better yet own one.

Much respect to both you and @Karl_K. :cool2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen Kenny's and there's simply no words to describe the sparkles and beauty. I hesitated then due to the price for how small the face up size is and now it is totally out of of my price range. Much regret!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Breathtaking. These must be the Rolls Royce of diamonds surely.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking more about that Octavia on the GoG site and had to have another look. Then I was curious the dimensions because I've been getting the itch to create a wedding band with a rocking stone, but as a guy, I find it hard to find a style that allows the bling but stays "masculine".

Given the fact my plain ole wedding band is 9.5mm wide, I could theoretically fit a 6.30x6.30 stone w/o any real issues (aside from depth obviously).

Anyhow, as I was looking at the dimensions I noticed this particular stone got an AGS 1 for proportions, and ultimately an AGS 1 cut grade, as opposed to 0. This struck me very odd as the video and ray-trace ASET clearly shows it's ideal.

My guess is because the Octavia is cut different than regular asschers that the proportions fall outside that set of criteria. Is that about the right? Forgive the stupidity. I am trying to learn and just not very well educated in this shape.

Do all the Octavia's grade out like this, or do they normally come back as 0? I want to be extra clear that regardless what the paper says, the stone clearly kicks a** so I am not inferring this is bad or less than by any stretch of the imagination.

@Karl_K
@diagem
@kenny

17531_AGS.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking more about that Octavia on the GoG site and had to have another look. Then I was curious the dimensions because I've been getting the itch to create a wedding band with a rocking stone, but as a guy, I find it hard to find a style that allows the bling but stays "masculine".

Given the fact my plain ole wedding band is 9.5mm wide, I could theoretically fit a 6.30x6.30 stone w/o any real issues (aside from depth obviously).

Anyhow, as I was looking at the dimensions I noticed this particular stone got an AGS 1 for proportions, and ultimately an AGS 1 cut grade, as opposed to 0. This struck me very odd as the video and ray-trace ASET clearly shows it's ideal.

My guess is because the Octavia is cut different than regular asschers that the proportions fall outside that set of criteria. Is that about the right? Forgive the stupidity. I am trying to learn and just not very well educated in this shape.

Do all the Octavia's grade out like this, or do they normally come back as 0? I want to be extra clear that regardless what the paper says, the stone clearly kicks a** so I am not inferring this is bad or less than by any stretch of the imagination.

@Karl_K
@diagem
@kenny

17531_AGS.jpg

omg PLEASE buy this so I can live vicariously through you. I seriously considered it, waffled back and forth a ton, but eventually realized that for me at the moment I can't feasibly spend that much one 1 thing. One day I will though!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@sledge good question and your spot on, the Octavia was designed before the ags cut grades for step cuts and blow them out of the water for light performance once they did. Hence the ags0 light performance grade.
However it ran into one of their arbitrary number limits on the proportions because it is so different from other asschers out there.
We made a very tiny modification in the next batch that had 0 impact on performance or looks for a ags0 across the board.
The performance is the way it is because that is the way I wanted it not because ags said it should be and that did not and will not change.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do all the Octavia's grade out like this, or do they normally come back as 0?

17531_AGS.jpg
Here's the lab report of my old Octavia.

Octavia.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@sledge good question and your spot on, the Octavia was designed before the ags cut grades for step cuts and blow them out of the water for light performance once they did. Hence the ags0 light performance grade.
However it ran into one of their arbitrary number limits on the proportions because it is so different from other asschers out there.
We made a very tiny modification in the next batch that had 0 impact on performance or looks for a ags0 across the board.
The performance is the way it is because that is the way I wanted it not because ags said it should be and that did not and will not change.

Actually one of the reasons I dont submit any diamonds to AGS anymore.
Great laboratory, great personnel but their policies are simply against future cut evolution.

As Karl mentions above..., we needed to modify in order to earn the 0 without any true utility.
Such requirements frame cutters from further exploring..., the storied problem to our present generic diamond world.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, it's not you at all! Definitely a me problem. I tend to plot out multiple projects with prospective prices well in advance and then save up the money and choose which one to do, so it feels awkward to me to email someone only to be like, "Well, I'll get back to you in a couple of years!" Especially with diamonds because there is always... always another kind of gem demanding my attention.

Thanks Yoram.
You are a master diamond cutter, and Karl a master designer. :clap::clap::clap:
Brilliant work, guys! ... Pun intended. :wacko:

I relish my Octavia every day! :dance::dance::dance:

I'm amazed there is not a huge demand.
I've tried to help spread the word with photography.
I find a loose Octavia to be the quintessential muse for macro photography.

Too bad there isn't an Octavia booth at JCK Las Vegas every year ... right next to the Royal Asscher booth. :Up_to_something:

I have only seen one Octavia in person, when I visited DBL... it was a 2+ ct maybe N color? Or even S? some kind of lower color. David brought it out and it was then and remains to this day the sparkliest thing I have EVER seen. I've seen multiple ideal cut rounds... the Octavia blew them all out of the water, imo. Has to be seen to be believed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you.

I would love to have anything cut by Yoram and his team! I'd so love to have an Octavia! I am the very fortunate owner of two stones from Yoram, an AVR purchased through Jonathan, and a light yellow antique cushion. Just look at the perfection of this AVR/OEC:

@diagem I'm not sure you've seen it since I finally reset it! I think it finally has worthy home and hopefully will be a family heirloom for many generations!

IMG-5632 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results