shape
carat
color
clarity

New here! Prong/craftsmanship help

Cavs019

Rough_Rock
Hi all! New here and looking for advice or confirmation on the below pictures. My vision was for a 6 prong low setting and here’s what came back from my local (highly recommended by a trusted friend) jeweler. Is the gap between the bottom of the stone and the prongs normal? Or should the prongs be more flush to the stone? And generally speaking does this setting look ok? Apologies if I am using the wrong terminology here and thank you in advance for the help!

7A4A05A9-3456-4A24-BEE8-8CC453A6BD25.jpeg
91FB8F04-1C10-403B-BA90-BE71FD485E4C.jpeg 50A64A47-3845-4DE9-9366-2AA26F7199B9.jpeg 298D6A9C-A7E2-43C9-A9C2-CC291956A775.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto ... looks good/normal to me; beautiful diamond & classic soli! :wavey:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gap is completely normal; the prongs around the diamond look secure; the setting is classically beautiful - enjoy your ring!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Either way seems acceptable. Some people prefer no gap or air space between the pavilion of the diamond and the prongs. Setting a diamond in the prongs with no air space can make the diamond lower and closer to the hand which some people prefer. Air space between prongs and pavilion enables cleaning, it enables a better view and it sets the stone up higher. My preference is to have the air gap exactly like you have but if you don’t like it you can ask the jeweler to change it. Your setting looks pretty to me. Just my opinion.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Okay, so your mounting is extremely similar to mine. I do not have my ring with me right now, but I will take a photo later and post it so you can see how mine is. I think mine is too low! I like how yours is LOL! YES, I love how mine is closer to my hand. It doesn't bump anything (I'm super clumsy and have like no depth perception!), so this part is very good. And it is very comfortable and the low setting, feels like it is just part of my finger! HOWEVER, the cleaning has been an issue for me IMO. There IS space but I don't think it is enough. I had told the jeweler that I didn't want it like many you see where it is super high. So he said they would do it "not too high and not too low". Yet, when I picked it up, I immediately saw that there wasn't a lot of space and questioned him on it and he looked and said it was enough space but I think he just was bluffing. I think he has his bench jeweler set it and he didn't do it personally and just saw at the moment that the bench jeweler screwed it up but obviously wasn't going to say it and probably was hoping I didn't make an issue of it. My husband has told me to go have him redo it but I just don't want to start messing with it.
Now, perhaps I am just being paranoid (have been known to be lol!) and my jeweler was solid in his view that mine has sufficient room to be cleaned. Now, when I refer to "cleaning", I'm not talking about being able to get under the diamond to clean it. I can do that. ALTHOUGH, I think you can get the sides of the pavilion more thoroughly than I can and that is where the light leakage can occur... when there is gunk buildup on the pavilion. However, for me, my bigger beef is that stuff gets trapped up there throughout the day easily... at leasts in my perception. I just don't know. I had been making a point of washing my hands during the day as much as possible with Dawn given that is what everyone says to soak their diamond in for cleaning, but I feel it is so thick that it just isn't getting rinsed easily during the day and creates buildup.
But I TOTALLY understand what you are expressing about feeling it is too high. That is precisely why I have not had mine raised up because I love the height it is at. And I do not know, for certain, that raising it up a tiny bit will really affect how easily it gets dirty. So I don't want to open a Pandora's box. Don't know why this has to be so hard!!!
Irregardless, yours is gorgeous.
Can you take some photos of it on your hand... with side views?
Also, what is the mm measurement of your diamond?

Cavs019

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and piece of mind!

it’s still with my jeweler unfortunately - these are pictures he sent me this morning. It’s a 1.9ct stone if helpful.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good to me. :))

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it. Perfect height. And easy to get a baby toothbrush in there to clean off the gunk that somehow gravitates to diamond pavilions.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great! Had the same thought as ringo856, makes it easy to clean that beautiful diamond!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful & looks lovely & tight in the claws.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry I have not had time to post the profile of mine... I came down with a horrible stomach flu yesterday and am just coming up for air.
What I wanted to mention to you is that everything in photos looks larger, so when you actually have the ring in person, it won’t appear so high (IMO).
I thought yours was similar in size to mine... I have an 8.01mm stone.
Also, what I’ve noticed is that when I look at mine overall (not where the stone sits, just the whole style), it seems like it’s high... yet when it’s on my finger, it doesn’t actually look that high, so I think you really have the best of both worlds.... not too high, yet stone high enough for cleaning.
I will still try to remember to post photos when I’m feeling better.
Did you get your diamond from an online vendor? What are the proportions?... the visual aesthetic of the crown and table is fabulous! You must be so excited!

Cavs019

Rough_Rock
Excited indeed! I got it locally from a GIA dealer in downtown Boston.

It’s 7.91 x 4.91, so just a touch smaller than yours it seems.

I’m going to keep it as is- thanks everyone!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
WE WANT HAND PHOTOS!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
9F3C8760-A0E1-4535-B026-A8125ADF249E.jpeg A221C47C-73F8-4BA5-B1A0-1C9B46150372.jpeg Finally made it through 24 hrs of stomach flu! Here are 2 images... it appears our rings are set very similar. As such, it will feel low on your finger :)

Cavs019

Rough_Rock
It doesn’t fit on my finger - it’s for my fiancé to be (assuming she says yes of course!). I should have been more specific from the outset!

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Lol., okay so I guess no hand photos! But my response is still the same: Looks gorgeous and I’m sure she will say yes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results