shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW New engagement ring! Three stone sapphire in WG

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, I've been wanting to post this, but I was waiting till DH actually gave it to me, which he did last night at midnight. So I guess it's ok now :) I apologize in advance for the super long post!

Back story: When DH and I got engaged in 2011, I didn't know much about diamonds or gemstones. I wanted an oval, and had lurked on PS enough to know that I should avoid bow-ties if possible, but that was about it. I worked with then-boyfriend to find the stone but I more or less did everything wrong - went for color over cut and performance, believed the vendor when they said it had no bowtie, etc. We got a 1ct D color oval diamond that looked lovely all on its own. From there, I sent some setting ideas to my boyfriend and he did the rest. He chose one of the settings that set the oval sideways in a half-bezel design. Original thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oval-e-ring-east-west-sideways-oval-with-half-bezel.175404/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oval-e-ring-east-west-sideways-oval-with-half-bezel.175404/[/URL]

I love the ring and always will, but….well DH went with his parents' family jeweler who, in my opinion, is good at making strong, industrial modern rings but not very skilled at delicate pieces. The e-ring is pretty but I feel that the stone is overwhelmed by the chunky bezel, and the sideways setting makes the bowtie MUCH more obvious to me. When I look down at the ring, it often looks like an X through the middle of the stone and it drives me nuts in some lighting. Plus the shank is thicker than I would have liked…in general lots of things that I didn't think about beforehand.

Flash forward to this year: FI knew that I was becoming increasingly obsessed with colored stones. I bought a BB tourmaline, had it set in Maevona, finally joined PS and started learning a lot! In one of his general catch-up calls with his mom, FI mentioned my colored stone obsession and I guess said he wished he'd gotten me a sapphire e-ring instead.

Well, interestingly enough, while there had been no family diamonds to pass on for an e-ring when we got engaged, it turned out that one of his aunts had some sapphire jewelry that she no longer wore and was willing to pass them on. She'd found some sapphire studs in the early 2000s and worked with the jeweler to source a matching larger stone that she intended to make into a pendant. In the end she never got the pendant made and stopped wearing the earrings. DH's mom got the stones from her and DH presented them as bday gift to me this year (sapphire is my birthstone). Since he'd already gotten me an e-ring, I was responsible for the setting, but that worked just as well for me because then I could get exactly what I wanted :) :) :) I had the ring made and then gave it to him to give to me at some moment of his choosing :)

Long story [somewhat] short, since before joining PS, I'd been obsessed with Yssie's gorgeous 3 stone from Whiteflash - the butterflies design. I worked with Quest Jeweler's in NoVa to reproduce it, and I couldn't be happier. I know usually sapphires are paired with diamonds to make them pop, but I liked the slight uniqueness of putting them together for one long uninterrupted line of blue!

Ok, so so sorry for how long this was. Here's the ring and the stats.
Center stone: 2.03 ct blue sapphire, 7.52mm
Sides: 0.92 ctw, 4.5 and 4.53mm
Ring: 18kt white gold custom setting (inspired of course by Whiteflash)

Thanks for looking! Hand shots first because I got the color right in these photos. The stones are a medium, rich blue and awesomely fiery!

In close-to-direct sunlight

More in the shade than not

(edited because I mis-ordered the photos the first time)

img_20121111_102304.jpg

img_20121111_0.jpg

img_20121111_102020.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness!!!! It's stunning!! I've never seen a ring with 3 sapphires like this, but it looks gorgeous!!!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
In the box from Quest... they did such a good job reproducing the WF design.

img_20121104_142205.jpg

img_20121104_142142.jpg

img_20121104_142150.jpg

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Couple more handshots to show the profile. I need to take some with it next to my wedding band, will try to take some in a bit.

Forgot to note in the first post - the sapphires have been heated, but that is the only treatment.

img_20121111_102408.jpg

img_20121111_102348.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
those sapphires are fantastic!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW!!! looks beautiful!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you. Unique too. I love that you get color and sparkle too! Well done.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Beautiful! I love the saturation of that blue!! If I ever get sapphires, I want that exact color!!!! Heat or no heat! Who cares! That is THE perfect blue!!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful, the hue & color looks great, congratulations! I especially love the heritage of the stones, wonderful!! :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:
sarahb

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's gorgeous and I love the color!!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I adore that ring!! I would never have thought of a sapphire three stone like that but that just shows how I creative I can be. It's stunning!!!!!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
It's so unique and pretty!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It looks absolutely beautiful on you - congratulations!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blue color is so striking! I love, love, love it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color of blue!!! :love: Lucky you!!!! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is very pretty - love the color of those sapphires! Congrats on getting what makes your heart sing!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks gorgeous on your hand! :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for all the kind words! I will respond in more detail tomorrow, but I wanted to add some pics with my wedding bands.

Here it is with my scalloped band....usually this is the band I wear but I am thinking that it looks too busy with the new ring.

fancyband1.jpg

fancyband2.jpg

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I like it better with my simpler band, I think. Thoughts?

simpleband2.jpg

simpleband3.jpg

simpleband4.jpg

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Lastly, stacked... just for fun. Probably too much though.

_2737.jpg

_2738.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

I love it with your simple band! I feel like it compliments your sapphires without distracting from the color and the main Ering. The color of your scalloped band and the shape doesn't have the same flow. But there is no harm in switching it up once in a while. But if it were me, I would wear the simple diamond band most of the time.

ETA: I like the stack in the first picture. The one with your Ering,then the simple band, then the scalloped. It gives it some space in between the scalloped band and the Ering and more balance.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh that color is gorgeous! Congrats and thx for sharing!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous. Congratulations.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a stunning ring. I love the all blue look, and its nice to be a bit different.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Jereni|1357075401|3345063 said:
Alright, I've been wanting to post this, but I was waiting till DH actually gave it to me, which he did last night at midnight. So I guess it's ok now :) I apologize in advance for the super long post!

Back story: When DH and I got engaged in 2011, I didn't know much about diamonds or gemstones. I wanted an oval, and had lurked on PS enough to know that I should avoid bow-ties if possible, but that was about it. I worked with then-boyfriend to find the stone but I more or less did everything wrong - went for color over cut and performance, believed the vendor when they said it had no bowtie, etc. We got a 1ct D color oval diamond that looked lovely all on its own. From there, I sent some setting ideas to my boyfriend and he did the rest. He chose one of the settings that set the oval sideways in a half-bezel design.

Original thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oval-e-ring-east-west-sideways-oval-with-half-bezel.175404/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oval-e-ring-east-west-sideways-oval-with-half-bezel.175404/[/URL]

.... Flash forward to this year: FI knew that I was becoming increasingly obsessed with colored stones. .... Well, interestingly enough, while there had been no family diamonds to pass on for an e-ring when we got engaged, it turned out that one of his aunts had some sapphire jewelry that she no longer wore and was willing to pass them on. ..... I know usually sapphires are paired with diamonds to make them pop, but I liked the slight uniqueness of putting them together for one long uninterrupted line of blue! ....
Thanks for looking! Hand shots first because I got the color right in these photos. The stones are a medium, rich blue and awesomely fiery! .....
:appl: "B"e (as in BLUE)-yond Beautiful!!!! I really love your ring and the sapphires are full of sparkle Jereni, wow! I'm so glad you love, love, love your ring now ... that's how it should be.
:appl: :appl: :appl:
As a side note for those who are lurking or researching diamonds and are considering ovals: As an oval-holic, I found that their bowties (and according to the experts, all ovals have some "level" of a bowtie) tend to be much more prominent (to me) when set East-West vs North-South.

I learned from Jonathan's videos for Good Old Gold, where he compares a variety of ovals for clients who are thinking of setting of them E-W, that I notice the bowties a LOT more in the E-W position than in his videos where they're all in the N-W position. I don't know that this is as apparent to everyone as it is to me, but even Jonathan suggests that if you're considering setting an oval in an E-W setting, you need to have pictures/videos taken in the E-W position before making a final decision because the setting can affect the final look of the stone.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Love it!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is gorgeous! Congrats on your new ring!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!!!!!!! I too am a big fan of Yssie's ring (all versions of it!). And I have to say that I love your blue version! Just gorgeous!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
PERFECT color of blue!!! LOVE the new ring!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results