shape
carat
color
clarity

New e-ring project! Oval halo, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m working on finding the perfect engagement ring for a friend. Her BF just trusted me with the entire project, so I need your help!

Here''s what I''m working with:

Total Budget (including setting): $9,000
Dream ring: Oval Halo
Priority: SIZE! 2 ct center is her dream size, but she knows his budget probably won''t allow that.
Metal: Platinum preferred

She''s a total size girl, and she''s not color sensitive. She doesn''t know the BF and I are talking, but we went shopping together and a while ago and she told him I know exactly what she wants. He''s open to buying from online or BM, as long as he gets a beautiful ring and stone.

Anyone interested in helping me find the right stone and setting? I''m not very knowledgeable when it comes to ovals, so right now my biggest concern is the bowtie effect. Ideas?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Haven, how fun!!
9.gif

Honestly, I would contact Jon at GOG and have him find one for you. He found Kaleigh's oval for her and it's gorgeous. And he actually pulled a few in and did a video, you could do that too maybe, and we could all help pick.
31.gif
It helps that she's not color sensitive, that will help get a bigger diamond.

On the setting, not sure. I know GOG does custom work, they just aren't into doing it big time. I am trying to find their own setting gallery on their site, but can't. I've seen some pretty rings from them though. I'll keep looking and if I find anything I'll come back and post it.

Ok, here's one.
30.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/h-a-legacy-style-ring-by-gog.47941/

And Dani's stunner. Love this ring. Not a halo, but just to let you see their work. The first few pics aren't showing, but keep scrollling, they do farther down.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-square-h-a-engagement-ring-from-gog.36580/

And here's one that someone wanted and posted about from their site, so these are the only pics.

Slide5-800.jpg

HTH!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
I am partial to this Tacori setting, which is an oval halo. Good Old Gold carries these settings.

ETA: Check out the side view by clicking the "multi-view" button.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if this gives you any reassurance but I used to have size 7 fingers (now shrunk like the rest of me!) but I have a 1.02ct Oval (no bowtie) with a halo and it looks absolutely HUGE on my hand. Ovals tend to have great finger coverage so you could probably afford to look for a lower carat weight and that would certainly come within your budget. Here''s a photo of mine:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 3:29:59 PM
Author: RBsearch
I am partial to this Tacori setting, which is an oval halo. Good Old Gold carries these settings.

ETA: Check out the side view by clicking the ''multi-view'' button.
Pretty, but might get pricey, depending....
40.gif

Haven, you could ask what stock settings they have and price vs. custom. I''m thinking custom "might" be cheaper, which would help getting a bigger stone. But, it''s not always cheaper that way.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a setting from Knox that I love- the half moon side stones are gorgeous!!
knox 1

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Haven!!

Why dont you call Mark Turnowski of ERD? He's so awesome to work with, and he will surely pick a FAB oval for her....Then he can design a gorgeous halo setting for it!!!
His custom work is wonderful (and reasonable). Your friend can probably get away with a center stone of about 1.75, b/c with the halo it will look 2+ cts, you know?

Keep us posted!!!I can wait to see how this turns out!!!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 3:53:22 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I don''t know if this gives you any reassurance but I used to have size 7 fingers (now shrunk like the rest of me!) but I have a 1.02ct Oval (no bowtie) with a halo and it looks absolutely HUGE on my hand. Ovals tend to have great finger coverage so you could probably afford to look for a lower carat weight and that would certainly come within your budget. Here''s a photo of mine:

LD you''re officially my doppleganger. With exception of your double/split shank our rings are twins. My center is a 1.02 as well

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is mine. It''s a pretty basic stock setting .50 or so in pave and the center is a 1.02 H SI2. When we bought it I was a 6.5, I''m now a 5.

ring on plant HH.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HH - spoooooooky! It would be so interesting to compare our jewellery because I think we have very very similar taste!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew I could count on my PS friends for help!

Thank you all so much for your help. I''m going to review every link you guys provided and go from there. (This project is definitely giving me a hankering for an oval!)

I''ll contact Mark T. at ERD, that''s a great idea. I spoke with him about my own cushion, but then fell in love with one from our family jeweler so went with that, instead. But he does have *the* eye for great stones, doesn''t he? I''ve never worked with Jon at GOG, but I''ll contact him if Mark doesn''t work out. Thank you for the great references. If ERD can make a custom setting similar to the one she fell in love with, that would be perfect.

Hudson--Your ring knocks me to the floor every time, it is so beautiful.

Okay, off to immerse myself in ovals . . .

Everyone, please feel free to share if you come across any knockout ovals anywhere!

THANK YOU!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven Another vote for Mark. I have worked with him a few times now and he is great!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just sent off an email to Mark. I''m really excited!

Sometimes I wish we had worked with him on my own e-ring project, but I fell head over heels in love with my cushion when our family jeweler brought it in, so I had to go with that stone. I do find myself drooling over ERD rings on PS quite a lot, though.

Hopefully we''ll have some stone options to post soon.

Thanks, everyone!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 6:21:53 PM
Author: Haven
I knew I could count on my PS friends for help!

Thank you all so much for your help. I''m going to review every link you guys provided and go from there. (This project is definitely giving me a hankering for an oval!)

I''ll contact Mark T. at ERD, that''s a great idea. I spoke with him about my own cushion, but then fell in love with one from our family jeweler so went with that, instead. But he does have *the* eye for great stones, doesn''t he? I''ve never worked with Jon at GOG, but I''ll contact him if Mark doesn''t work out. Thank you for the great references. If ERD can make a custom setting similar to the one she fell in love with, that would be perfect.

Hudson--Your ring knocks me to the floor every time, it is so beautiful.

Okay, off to immerse myself in ovals . . .

Everyone, please feel free to share if you come across any knockout ovals anywhere!

THANK YOU!

Awww thanks Haven!

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
I met with Mark a few times and while he''s a really nice guy and picks out great cushions, he was no help when it came to ovals....just my 2 cents. I got mine from a store on 47th, who was more accomodating. We gave Mark instructions on depth which he ignored. I think ovals look better a little shallower, and he was showing me ones with depth of 67 or so. He has great cushion brilliants though.

Date: 3/21/2009 6:35:19 PM
Author: Haven
I just sent off an email to Mark. I''m really excited!

Sometimes I wish we had worked with him on my own e-ring project, but I fell head over heels in love with my cushion when our family jeweler brought it in, so I had to go with that stone. I do find myself drooling over ERD rings on PS quite a lot, though.

Hopefully we''ll have some stone options to post soon.

Thanks, everyone!
4.gif
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results