shape
carat
color
clarity

New Drop....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 7:04:39 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I think I''m going to have to talk to him about it...

I totally agree! Let us know what he says!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So I'm going to say some fairly un-ps things, so feel free to ignore me.

*clambers onto soapbox*

1237393zp18x6fdqm.gif

Personally, I think that you're already so far invested in the process that you should just pick the stone. The I think you should back away. Give him a no-list for setting options (no halos, nothing over 4mm, whatever) and get a new hobby. Why do I think this? I love my e-ring. Adore it. Wouldn't trade it for a 4ct asscher. It is not at all like anything I would have chosen or designed on my own. Every time I look at it, it's a little bit of a surprise. I know it inside and out, but it still catches me off guard. If I had designed my e-ring, or even gotten something like what I described I wanted, I wouldn't get that feeling. I'm a researcher too, I spend days considering $30 purchases
20.gif
. My ring is someone else's perspective on me, and I only got that by relinquishing control.

I would never have bought a diamond. Not ever. And I would not have found PS. And then where would I be? (Probably working on my dissertation instead of talking to strangers on the internet) But I love it. I love the spinel too, and it's similar to what I would have picked for myself but DH only kinda likes it. He's very attached to my e-ring, and that's worth something in and of itself.

So let your FF surprise you and don't freak him out too much about what you want/expect/desire/require. Relationships and marriage are full of surprises, and that's what keeps it interesting. He knows and loves you, I doubt he'll blow this.

*retreats from soapbox*
tumbleweed.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I've been thinking about everything. I've come to the conclusion that it's me that's not looking at it, and it is him that wants me to see them. Because he wants to make sure I like it.

It's my desire to be surprised that's preventing me from looking. Barry's has been there for how long? 2 months-ish? I haven't looked. I won't look.

I wish I could have just left the stone buying to him, but according to him, I'm so picky, he didn't want to risk it. So by me picking out the stone on computer monitor, but not seeing it in person means that it's a surprise, and I get to stare into it for a good 6 months afterward (after all it will be the first stone I'll get that actually gets set.) And I ensure that it's a quality stone that I'll enjoy through cut.

So, I don't want to look at it/them. I picked them both, but he gets to make the final decision. I get surprised. And he gets to pick out a setting that I'll have no idea about. So I'll be doubly surprised.

My curiosity is one of my worst traits, and the most strongly compulsory. When I'm tempted by something, nothing can hold me back. This is the first thing I have been tempted to see, but have completely restrained myself. That has been incredibly hard, but I can't stop now. I've come this far.

So, I won't look. Unless he really really wants me to.

And so I've begun collecting pictures of settings I like, and I'm sending them to him, and he gets to pick out whatever he wants.

I just want to have it on my finger already!!!

Too bad he's got a plan, and a date, and he's not deviating from that, so I (probably) get a really long wait. Perhaps we'll see something around April or so...

Thank you Mercoledi for getting on your soapbox. It made me actually write out my thoughts.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Another new drop at Dan Stair''s place.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results