shape
carat
color
clarity

New Drop....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 9:38:02 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I can''t show pictures of mine because I haven''t seen it yet. It is currently residing in FF''s top drawer, along with the Barry stone. It is a possible ering stone---I know, I know. This makes how many now? But...apparently it looks almost identical to the Barry stone. it''s 1.26cts, 6.4mm. The Barry stone is 1.20cts and 6.5mm.

He cut it right after your asscher Mercoledi, so if you remember seeing it, it''s blue and round, and was the stone he cut right before this last sunstone.
And those aren''t great pictures, I can''t believe the fire off this thing, it has a very different quality than does my diamond.

I do recall, but I didn''t steal that picture; I remember you had an email in on the rough though. How many e-stones do you get? Lucky girl! I''d be interested in how the color shifts on those two compare. E-studs? E-jackets? Interlocking rings, each spinel- set, for an e-ring and w-band?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 9:55:30 PM
Author: mercoledi
And those aren''t great pictures, I can''t believe the fire off this thing, it has a very different quality than does my diamond.

I do recall, but I didn''t steal that picture; I remember you had an email in on the rough though. How many e-stones do you get? Lucky girl! I''d be interested in how the color shifts on those two compare. E-studs? E-jackets? Interlocking rings, each spinel- set, for an e-ring and w-band?
I only get one really. He gets to choose which one. The other one gets tossed to the side, and forgotten about.
3.gif
Not really, he''ll choose his favorite and that''ll be it. And the other one will probably just become part of my collection, and wait in the wings just in case something happens to the other one.

I don''t know if this one came out of his new rough...I should ask...

FF wants someone else to check out both stones to get someone else''s opinion on them, but I won''t do it. So I think he''s going to get my best friend to look at them. Blah...maybe I should just look...

Here''s the pic he sent me.

Dan Stair Spinel freke.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi,

Your asscher looks BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait for pics in sunlight.
18.gif

Freke-

I thought of you first when I saw that gorgeous stone on his website! I wondered if you'd seen it, but didn't say anything because you had 'the Barry.' How exciting! At least you know no matter which your BF picks, it'll be a winner!

ETA: Look! Look! Or you could have the BF take photos and let US look.
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol EBree! I started asking him about it when I first saw the rough!

Anyway....Here's something I posted in my Who's Who thread that you guys might enjoy--it's FF talking about my newest spinel (pictured above):

Choice phrases I've heard from him after seeing them both together:

"They look almost identical."

"This one has more going on inside."

"I don't like this box. I might put them together, but then I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. So that won't work. I need a different box. This one just doesn't have enough cushy stuff in it."

"Do you have another box that's different? I can't tell them apart when they are in the same kind and size boxes."

"I think I'm going to get someone else to look at them. I need a second opinion."

"Well, they're both blue..."

"They don't look good under halogens."

"They're both sparkly. This one might be sparklier than the other one...no wait this one is more sparkly. Well...I don't know."

"Can I borrow the gem stick thing sometime so I can look at them outside?"

ETA: I don't think he'll do that unfortunately. He's not exactly excited about trying to photograph gems like all of us...but I'll ask anyway...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Well, I think you should look, but only if you won't regret it later. You might see something in the stones that he doesn't, being a guy and not knowing much about gems. I know my husband would sound much like your BF when looking at two similar gems.

If you truly don't want to look, he should definitely get a second opinion. Best friend, Mom, us gals in Colored Stones...
3.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Mercoledi and Freke those are beautiful stones!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
(I''ll admit it I enquired with Dan about both of them - but didn''t get in quick enough!) - Looking forward to seeing more pics Mercoledi; and pics of both of yours someday (hopefully soon) Freke!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Y''know Freke, EricaGrace had this amazing antique Tiffany piece set with two OECs that would be killer with two spinels as well. It must have sold, but it''s blogged here with pictures. Your style may be way more modern, but I thought I''d throw it out there.

Oh wait, you have a local PSer! Isn''t MonkeyPie near you? Would FF meet up with her for a little informed assistance? Most of rating colored stones is choosing what speaks to you, but it sounds like he has some tough contenders. The DS is pretty much an RB while the BB is chunkier, right? **flits off to DSS thread**

Ebree, BlingAddict, thanks! This AM it''s much lighter, but still a very grey blue which I totally love. Dan said his favorite look for this stone was in full sun, so we''ll see!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 1:54:04 AM
Author:FrekeChild
Ok guys, I''m looking for a spinel. Actually more than one, but just this one for now-the other one can wait...

Anyway, this is going to be very specific.

Color: lavender/violet, blue, and blue with a hint of green. Light to medium tone, minimal to no gray. Something that when people see it, they wonder what it is. I''m looking for unusual, unique, something that is interesting.

Cut: As for cut...this is where I get picky. I want it to be as perfect as possible. I''m considering going to Jeff White or Dan Stair to see what they''ve got. I''d love a Barry Bridgestock, but I have a feeling that that would be a luck kind of thing with finding it on ACS. I do not like concave cuts at all, but I do like chunky cuts. No bowties, no windows.

OK Freke, this is how your DSS thread starts, what did you mean when you typed the bolded part, because now you have two stones that on paper should have different looks to them. I think they both hit the lavender/blue color, though neither picture shows much green. Can we put together some sort of questionnaire/ decision tree for him?

Slide1frekecompare.jpg

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Mercoledi, your asscher is gorgeous! It totally needs its own thread...
10.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
EBree He won''t take pictures of them. He says pictures won''t capture the stone very well, and I told him to take a video--to which he said, "It''d have to be a really long video, because it looks very different in all different kinds of lights." So I told him he could do that and put it on Youtube, and he basically said no. Butthead.

Lol Mercoledi. I showed him the picture of the ring and he wasn''t too excited about it. Something about not liking the two stones facing different directions? I dunno.

In that post, referring to the "more than one" spinel, I was kind of talking about how I''m always on the lookout for gray spinel (my *crack*), but that wasn''t really a priority at the time, and still isn''t now (gotta get my funds back up first).

MonkeyPie is here in Albuquerque. We are actually talking about getting together next weekend for a photoshoot (of me, and probably my stones too). So he could ask her about the stones, but I''m the only person he''s met in person after meeting on the internet, and he might be a bit skeptical of doing that. He wants to talk to my best friend about it, because they go shopping for my presents together, and so he has her cell phone number and email address. I have another friend that I''ve volunteered for the job because she''s SUPER picky about jewelry and gemstones (she''s liked my BB silver topaz, BB tourmaline, DS pink spinel, DS gray spinel, but did not like the DS blue oval, or any other stones I''ve emailed to her) and would probably be very frank about which one she liked better. She is also the one who goes with me on my gemstone shopping sprees. Speaking of her, I need to figure out some diamond stuff for her. But he doesn''t have her number, so she''s not as convenient as my BFF.

And I meant on there talking about color, that anything in the spectrum from lavender/violet-blue-blue green was good, but I preferred blue over everything else.

We can put together a decision tree for him. How would we go about doing that?

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi and Frekechild those are both absolutely gorgeous stones. WOW!!!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies! I got a few shots today and started a thread, though the picture's aren't nearly as lively as the stone is.

Freke- boys are weird. Did you see the latest Dan Stair spinel? It's 1.4ish with a chunkier cut. Probably too blue for you though. Let me think about the decision tree- I guess the question is what do you want for your e stone?

NewRock-14.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want blue! I just figure the bluer it gets the more expensive and harder to find it will be. I''d give a limb or two to have a bright electric blue one, but I don''t think anyone takes limbs in payments. lol. I just emailed Dan about that spinel he posted today. I''m sure it''s probably already sold, but I guess we''ll see. I hate not seeing stones.

What do I want in an ering?

Blue (secondary purple or green is ok, but it has to be blue. I think I made a mistake in my first post saying that I wanted lavender and all of those other colors. I should have just said straight up blue--but they are so rare that I tried to open up the parameters...) The color is probably the most important part. If I could have it, I''d want a blue stone that has the exact same depth of color my pink one has. Light and airy almost.

Precision cut--super sparkly!!

Clarity--eye clean (doesn''t seem to be a problem with precision cut stones DS and BB seem to look them over well)

6.5-7.5mm And both stones that I have are on the low end. I was really hoping for 7mm, but that seems unlikely to happen.

And probably most importantly, I want it to be a surprise. Which is why I have had the chance to look about 90% of the time I''m awake, and I haven''t done it yet. I have even gone into the drawer it (BB stone) was in, and managed to not look (it was sitting on top of some papers I needed to get at, even!). So that''s why I don''t want to look at it. Blah.

Suggestions?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Somewhere in LS's thread she references a color chart/index for sapphs, could you set a minimum saturation based on that? (assuming someone can find it) There are blueblueblue spinels, your newest DS could be one. On the other hand, the shift on the BB looks pretty awesome. Crossing my fingers for you on the new big chunky spinel!

ETA: found it.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
For you ladies: this is the rough that Dan has, and where those spinels have been coming from. I''m terrible at judging what color the finished stone will be based on rough, but it looks like he has a pretty good range of lighter blues and maybe even some with lavender? Freke, I thought you might like the more purply ones
1.gif

SpinRuf1.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
DS''s new spinel is gooorrrrrgeous! Wow. I love the chunkier cut. And
23.gif
30.gif
to the photo of his rough. My god.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi Minimum color would be Sweden Princess blue. Maximum color--Royal blue. My ideal, probably Prince of Wales Blue. Or, if I'm in a really bright funky mood, Camelot Blue.

I asked Dan about the other one, and he said that he liked this one better for me. We've been through a lot of stones together. I got the feeling that this one was more the color of the oval.

BEG Yeah, he send me that pic too. We've already talked about some of them. I really want a blue. The least amount of purple or green and gray, the better. I should really just look at the darn stones we already have.

EBree It's pretty isn't it? I do like the chunkier cut (duh, it's me we're talking about here!). And it's 6.99mm...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 12:31:15 AM

EBree It''s pretty isn''t it? I do like the chunkier cut (duh, it''s me we''re talking about here!). And it''s 6.99mm...

So is it available? That''s a nice size! When you say Dan S. liked this one for you more, does he mean more than the one your BF has?

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 11:11:03 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
For you ladies: this is the rough that Dan has, and where those spinels have been coming from. I'm terrible at judging what color the finished stone will be based on rough, but it looks like he has a pretty good range of lighter blues and maybe even some with lavender? Freke, I thought you might like the more purply ones
1.gif

SpinRuf1.jpg

Oh my! Those roughs r making me itch for ANOTHER spinel from Dan!
31.gif
I love anything in the purple/pink/blue range! Think my lavender pink spinel might have came from that pile?

Roughspinel.jpg

60SpinSqr.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 12:58:00 AM
Author: EBree
EBree It's pretty isn't it? I do like the chunkier cut (duh, it's me we're talking about here!). And it's 6.99mm...
So is it available? That's a nice size! When you say Dan S. liked this one for you more, does he mean more than the one your BF has?
It's available to the other six people who were on the waiting list for mine. Are you one of those 6? Yeah, Dan told me that he liked the one that FF has for me more than this new bigger one. And I think we've sent about 50 emails back and forth talking about an ering stone, so I think he knows what I like. Lol.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 1:14:43 AM
Date: 10/20/2008 12:58:00 AM

Author: EBree

So is it available? That's a nice size! When you say Dan S. liked this one for you more, does he mean more than the one your BF has?

It's available to the other six people who were on the waiting list for mine. Are you one of those 6? Yeah, Dan told me that he liked the one that FF has for me more than this new bigger one. And I think we've sent about 50 emails back and forth talking about an ering stone, so I think he knows what I like. Lol.

Well, that's good news! I can't wait to see which one your FF ultimately chooses.

p.s. I wish I could afford a 1+ ct gorgeous pale blue spinel right now! I almost bought a pretty little sapphire he cut a few weeks back, but I decided it was too small (~4.6mm). Oh, and my husband would kill me. But I plan to buy something from him soon enough!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you take pics of it even though it was too small?? Which one was it?

ETA: I swear I'm about to just propose to him already. Or make him propose with a plain band. I just keep stressing out about this, because my ering is my ering forever. I'm sure there will be more rings, but that one is "the one" you know? Bah.

And besides, at this rate, I'll buy another 3-4 blue spinels before he even proposes!!!!!!!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I never had it in my possession, but I spoke to him about it after seeing it on his site. Unfortunately, I didn't get a screenshot, but it was adorable. It looked a lot like your DS spinel, but smaller. I was dreaming about putting it in a simple bezel ring, but wanted something more in the ~5-6mm range. But the ~4.6mm was much more realistic, $-wise.

If he proposed to you with a plain band, would you work together on the e-ring? Might not be a bad idea.
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blah! According to him, "Whoever gets proposed to gets bling. And I don''t want bling." So A) that negates me asking him and B) it also negates me getting asked with a plain band.

I just want it to be a surprise. And I want the stupid stone to be picked out and set in a ring so I don''t have to think about it any more, and so I''m not continually tempted to KEEP BUYING STONES.

Ack.

Perhaps it''s just a case of LIWitis, but I''m getting frustrated...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Freke, that is gorgeous. I love that color!!!! If he doesn''t chose that has your e-ring hummmmmmmmmmm!!!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This is your forever stone? You''re not planning on wearing it 24/6/365, right? Probably not if you keep up with the culinary work.

Well that makes it harder. Can you show him the blue scale and ask which stone is bluest most of the time? If he puts them in the same box, anyone with a loupe should be able to tell them apart, and that way he can carry them around for a few days and look at them in different light, side-by-side.

Too bad about the new DS spinel, the cut on that baby looks really nice, I think of you more as a chunky facets girl than a traditional RB.

Should we look for more duo setting ideas? That would fix the selection problem and provide more coverage. It would be awesome to see them shift side-by-side all day too.

Whatever he gives you, you''ll love. And he only has good options so there''s no wrong choice.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Can I just dive into that pile of Spinel? LOL! Think he''d cut me an asscher?

*sigh* Man I wish I didn''t need new furniture!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Freke - I really think you should look babe. You''re going to be the one wearing it...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 12:34:19 PM
Author: geckodani
Freke - I really think you should look babe. You''re going to be the one wearing it...

Even if the stone won''t be a surprise, the setting still will be, and the setting is a HUGE part of the ring. That way, it''d still be a surprise, but you know you''re getting a Freke-approved spinel. A win/win situation!
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''m going to have to talk to him about it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results