shape
carat
color
clarity

New Drop....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 7:36:04 PM
Author: mercoledi
( I got the spinel. It should get here this week. )

(and I think he got in more spinel rough)

(It''s my first foray into colored gems; I''m super excited)
You naughty girl! You know if I''m ever in your area you''re going to have to let me wear it for a day right? What are you thinking about doing with it anyway?

And yes he did get in more spinel rough. Apparently since my ering stone hunt his, Barry''s, and Peter Torraca''s spinel requests went up.

I''m excited for you! (And a reminder, there is NO SUCH THING as too many pictures, you hear me?!)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 8:25:30 PM
Author: FrekeChild

You naughty girl! You know if I'm ever in your area you're going to have to let me wear it for a day right? What are you thinking about doing with it anyway?
Totally, the next time I'm out west, or you make it over to this coast you two can visit!

I don't know what I'll do with it yet- I have some ideas but I guess I should see it first.

And yes, yes, if I wasn't going to post pictures, there's no point in mentioning that I'm getting it! I'd hate to be ostracized!!

( I hope it's pretty )

How long does his shipping usually take?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m talking LOTS AND LOTS of pictures.

As for shipping...it gets from WA to NM usually in 2 days, max 3 (unless it''s over a weekend). When was he shipping it?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So probably Thursday/Fridayish to Boston if it goes out tomorrow. I have a Dr. apt Thursday, maybe I should stay home and stalk the mail man
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif

( I wanted the chin-rubbing smiley, but I can't find it! )

To anyone interested in Dan's stones, he's been a dream to work with and very patient with my zilions of questions. I got lucky; I was working late last night and checked his page shortly after it was updated, but he seems plenty eager to do special orders too, and there may be more spinel asschers in the future ( If I were him, I'd make more ).

ETA: did find this:
459698hkfekkh0rp.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, you were seriously lucky. I caught the update maybe 2 hours after he put it up, and he already have 5 people in line for your stone. He told me he'll be cutting more asschers because of that. And the fact that the last one he cut sold in about an hour too. (I've been bugging him about cutting an amethyst asscher for me for a while now...just need to get the funds together.)

ETA: I love that mail emotie! That's fantastic!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
There are probably enough asscher-crazy PSers to keep him in business. I'd bet that most rough isn't suitable to the shape; from the dimensions this baby is going to be deep, but it probably needs it to keep the color. I passed on an earlier barion cut spinel because I thought I really wanted a deep true blue, but this one just spoke to me. I actually emailed him "put me in line for the spinel" and was shocked that I was first. I happen to have the funds right now, so why not? Hopefully this will be more interesting than a true deep blue. I had my eye on a smaller diamond asscher for $500, so this is a steal in comparison (and someone bought that stone).

Honestly Freke, if you hadn't posted so many IRL pictures/videos of your Dan Stair stones, I probably wouldn't have had the cahones, so thanks lady!!

I have a long-term project in mind that this stone might just get to kick off if I can find a benchman to work with here.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woot woot! I can''t wait to see what you do with it!!!!

I''m so happy you got it (well, you know, comparatively!)

Which was the barion you passed on? (Since it wasn''t in the update, I''m sure someone already bought it. He can''t keep spinel in stock.)

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 9:36:18 PM
I''ve been bugging him about cutting an amethyst asscher for me for a while now...just need to get the funds together

Hey Freke, You could also check out Peter Torraca''s photo blog. He had some awesome amethyst asschers on there. I think they sold but, he could cut you one as well. Never hurts to have options!
2.gif

Mercoledi-I am so very jealous of your new gem. Its stunning, cant wait to see the pics of it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Merco...I won that ring you posted. LMAO.

Stryeyes--I love Peter! He''s so nice! I''ve bugged him a lot over the past few months as well. His asschers really are lovely, aren''t they?

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
I ditto everything you said Freke! He''s a pretty cool guy... Even put up with me asking all sorts of stupid newbie gem questions.
9.gif

His asschers just have that something different.. Cant pinpoint it but they just make me smile. That 11 carat amethyst asscher he cut, makes my heart sing!
30.gif
12.gif
30.gif
I just have to find a new type of stone to have cut that way since, i already have my Peter amethyst. Decisions, decisions
11.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahem.....Where are the pics woman?!?!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi you lucky girl! I can''t wait to see pics!

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 11:47:14 PM
Ahem.....Where are the pics woman?!?!

Me?
33.gif

I did start a thread for a setting (with a few pics) but i didn''t ever make one just for it. Heres that thread

And here is the picture from Peter: Its a little pinky/purple in incandescent light but definitely purple in normal light. It was a rough he had sitting around, without a plan. So it worked out perfectly! Good luck with your amethyst search!

amy110-1.JPG

E B

Ideal_Rock
Okay...I HAVE to have a Dan Stair asscher in that EXACT color. Wow.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahahahahaha EBree!!!!!!!

(And yeah stryeyes I was talking to you! Do you have any more pictures?)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 1:30:27 AM
Author: EBree

Me too. I''m so jealous.

It reminded me a bit of the JW sapphire asscher on his website (owned by a PSer, but my memory''s blanking right now) and I''ve been in love with that shade of blue ever since...

drooool

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah! Tons
9.gif

I guess I should start a new thread for it? lol

*Sorry everyone for the thread jacking!*

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So many jealous PSERs! I've never bought a stone before except a weird topaz off ebay; it sounds like I picked a good one to start with.

Freke- here's the barion spinel I passed on. I really wanted a step cut, and had reservations about the color. It was also a busy day, and I didn't have time to think about spending the cash just then. I'm sure it has a good home now. I wonder who got the color-change sapphire!

I think my next stone will be a tourmaline, and Dan's had some nice ones. It'll probably have to wait until after the holidays though. And a few smallish garnets.

Must have been something cosmic if I'm buying gems from Dan Stair and you're sniping bargains off ebay. I want pictures of that ring when it comes!!

NewRock-7.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 1:53:31 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Me too. I''m so jealous.

It reminded me a bit of the JW sapphire asscher on his website (owned by a PSer, but my memory''s blanking right now) and I''ve been in love with that shade of blue ever since...

drooool

Neatfreak''s? I think hers is a little darker, and much bigger, but that''s a beauty for sure. Should we have JW and DS participate in a blue asscher cut-off? (facet off?) We can get Strm to judge!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 8:25:03 AM
Author: mercoledi

Date: 10/14/2008 1:53:31 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Me too. I''m so jealous.

drooool

Neatfreak''s? I think hers is a little darker, and much bigger, but that''s a beauty for sure. Should we have JW and DS participate in a blue asscher cut-off? (facet off?) We can get Strm to judge!
That''s a good idea!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
There are definitely many, many asscher crazy PSers ready to pounce. The husband had to hold me back and actually said. "Wow, that''s cool. Asscher right? See, I pay attention." LMAO.

WANT.

Congrats on your purchase Mercoledi!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
It''s here, it''s amazing and we have no light today!

Stupid New England fall. If we get sun tomorrow I''ll break out the tripod and have a little party; all the shots I got indoors aren''t really representative. I can''t capture the steps yet, but I''ll try!

Indoors it''s a lovely blue, much darker than the stock photo, with a greyish cast, but oh man does this thing sparkle! I left it on the table and it does make big swirly flashes, mostly deep pink in color.

The color (indoors, to me) isn''t close to the near-aqua in the picture. I''m glad I didn''t hold out for a more saturated stone. The cut is really great; I''m no asscher afficinato but I did get to see NEL''s in person a few weeks ago. This has smaller windmills than I expected but the steps are lovely and even and bright. It''s larger than I thought it would be, or looks larger or something; it may be a little big for what I had planned. Is there such a thing as spinel shrinkage syndrome?

Pictures soon- I promise.
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need pictures NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And TGal and I decided there was such a thing as Spinel Shrinkage Syndrome. She gave me a different name for it though--to sounds more like a disease, so I could get out of going to a party.

...and I don''t have a new Dan Stair spinel...I have no idea what you''re talking about...

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I''ll show you mine if you show me yours!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
teaser, though the color is off.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
oops.

IMG_0364itij.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
*again, the color isn't right*

IMG_037ndjnf6.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 6:15:29 PM

...and I don''t have a new Dan Stair spinel...I have no idea what you''re talking about...

AHEM.
10.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow it''s stunning Mercoledi!!! I can''t wait to see more pics!!!!

I can''t show pictures of mine because I haven''t seen it yet. It is currently residing in FF''s top drawer, along with the Barry stone. It is a possible ering stone---I know, I know. This makes how many now? But...apparently it looks almost identical to the Barry stone. it''s 1.26cts, 6.4mm. The Barry stone is 1.20cts and 6.5mm.

He cut it right after your asscher Mercoledi, so if you remember seeing it, it''s blue and round, and was the stone he cut right before this last sunstone.

...sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results