New babies!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the videos!! Love them.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have very sad updates about my flock. Kevin and babies are fine. I've lost my silver laced wyandotte and my rooster to marek's disease:( Now henrietta is showing signs of the disease. We are devastated. And praying it doesn't take out our whole flock. It's highly contagious and the birds can get it regardless of whether they are vaccinated. It sucks:(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh soxfan, I am so sorry to hear this. How heartbreaking for such an awesome and loving chicken host as you and your family. Can you quarrantine the sickies (or maybe the non-sickies) or is it too late? Any benefits of the fact that you have different breeds - would that offer any protection?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So how do they get it in the first place? Its not like your chickens go to hen daycare, or hang around a sick flock so how does the illness/disease arrive?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh soxfan, I am so sorry to hear this. How heartbreaking for such an awesome and loving chicken host as you and your family. Can you quarrantine the sickies (or maybe the non-sickies) or is it too late? Any benefits of the fact that you have different breeds - would that offer any protection?

So how do they get it in the first place? Its not like your chickens go to hen daycare, or hang around a sick flock so how does the illness/disease arrive?

There is nothing I can do. Vaccines don't even prevent it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek's_disease

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are so depressed. If we lose our flock, we have to wait up to 3 years until the virus is gone from the soil.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Soxfan I am so very sorry :(2 Sending hugs and love to you and your family.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
sad :(( Oh NO! I am so sorry about this.

chicken_heaven_sympathy_card-r418c45e38a2045f5a91d9071d55fc1c4_xvuak_8byvr_400.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOT???? This is very sad. Healing vibes across the miles........

kind regards--Sharon

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nooo! I am so sorry to hear this. Healing dust to you and your family and most importantly, the chickens.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've really enjoyed your chicken pictures/stories and am so sorry to hear about your struggles with Marek's disease. We have a flock as well and have dealt with awful losses but never Marek's. Wishing you the very best of luck and I'll continue to check your thread for updates.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I have very sad updates about my flock. Kevin and babies are fine. I've lost my silver laced wyandotte and my rooster to marek's disease:( Now henrietta is showing signs of the disease. We are devastated. And praying it doesn't take out our whole flock. It's highly contagious and the birds can get it regardless of whether they are vaccinated. It sucks:(

Oh no!!!! :(2 Can you quarantine the sick to save the healthy?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So,,,,, henrietta is perfectly fine today. :shock: Right back to her old self. Thank God. And, no, quarantining does nothing for Marek's. It's in the soil, dander, etc. The birds have already been exposed. I did read that it was normal to lose younger birds under 25 weeks. My buffs are older than that. Also, estimates are that you only lose 15% of your flock which I have. Hoping this is over.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So it's just a waiting game for you, to see if they are ok? How awful. Fingers crossed for your cute flock.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soxfan, I’m glad Henrietta seems to be ok now, thank goodness. I’m really hoping the crisis is over and the rest of your flock stays healthy. :pray:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry Soxfan...I'm sure its devastating to lose one of your flock.:(sad

Fingers crossed that Herietta is good as well as the rest of the flock (Kevin and babies).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Keep us in the coop! I am Roo(stering) for you! :tongue: OK that was terrible but ykwim.

cheers--Sharon

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah - we're all sending heaps of positive, healing, powerful dust - dust that the chickens can bathe in so has two uses (was going to use a well known expression here, but realized it was extremely inappropriate given the feathered nature of the subjects).

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
This is so cute.
Makes me want to have hens again. We lost our three almost two year ago to the raccoon that lived in the green belt behind our fence (long sad story).
Did you try to make Kevin not broody anymore, or not?
When my Amanda got broody and literally stopped eating and there was ZERO chicks available, I gave her a prolonged bath in our kiddie pool (it seemed super mean at the time but I was not going to let her die of starvation), we got lucky and it worked.

I am sending good vibes for no Marek's.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
:appl::dance:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so cute.
Makes me want to have hens again. We lost our three almost two year ago to the raccoon that lived in the green belt behind our fence (long sad story).
Did you try to make Kevin not broody anymore, or not?
When my Amanda got broody and literally stopped eating and there was ZERO chicks available, I gave her a prolonged bath in our kiddie pool (it seemed super mean at the time but I was not going to let her die of starvation), we got lucky and it worked.

I am sending good vibes for no Marek's.

I may try this today with my Goldie, she's been broody for a few weeks. I'm NOT getting more chicks. How long did you keep her in the bath?

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Checking in... I hope the chickens are doing well!

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
I kept my broody hen in the bath for at least 5 minutes (REAL five minutes) then I cheked that her tummy was colder later that day. If your hen has been broody for quite a while I would do 10. A good friend lost one of her hens to broodiness so I was not going to let that happen , especially since tmine were pets and we just fell heels over heads for those crazy birds. Mine looked so miserable in just 5 days that I could not watch. I know people think it is a cruel treatment to give a cold bath to hens to stop brooding because they think it is a natural occurrence. But when one perishes and suffers, I think it is only humane to help. Especially when you know that there will never be a hatching.
So if you read stuff on the internet that it is a bed thing to do, weight that against real suffering of your sweet peep.(people are quick to judge).
I may try this today with my Goldie, she's been broody for a few weeks. I'm NOT getting more chicks. How long did you keep her in the bath?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she still "baby" them though? :)

When will they start to lay eggs? How old? I know nothing about chickens:oops:.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Just catching up after several months away.
She is so nurturant - it’s a joy to watch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results