shape
carat
color
clarity

New babies!

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Kevin's babies are no longer babies :lol:

I think you said the babies aren’t going to be as big as Kevin, but I was wondering if Kevin is mostly feathers — like those dogs that look big until you get them wet :mrgreen2:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin and her babies are adorable! :love:
I love how she's watching them so attentively. What a great Mom!
You did a wonderful thing, providing Kevin with her family. :appl:

Please tell me Kevin's kids are not responsible for the furniture to be stacked upon itself. :mrgreen2:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adorable! :love: Love them! Yeah, even in the pic you can see Kevin keeping an eye on them, so cute.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
That's such a pretty coop! I've wanted hens for years but the husband says no. We don't have a big enough yard and we also have a dog who may either get scared of them or eat them.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

how is Kevin??

cheers--Sharon

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin’s family is adorable. Thank you for posting more pictures @soxfan

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG they are so cute!

Thank you for loving them <3

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So they are ALL laying. Came home to 6 white eggs today. White leghorns are amazing layers- the most common production layer.

I don't think I posted about this because it was incredibly sad. We lost our rooster a few months ago. He contracted Marek's disease. I ran around getting vitamins, I hand fed him, did everything I could but he died peacefully in our garage in a warm bed that we made for him. He was a great rooster. RIP Silky:(

IMG_3922 2.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So they are ALL laying. Came home to 6 white eggs today. White leghorns are amazing layers- the most common production layer.

I don't think I posted about this because it was incredibly sad. We lost our rooster a few months ago. He contracted Marek's disease. I ran around getting vitamins, I hand fed him, did everything I could but he died peacefully in our garage in a warm bed that we made for him. He was a great rooster. RIP Silky:(

IMG_3922 2.jpg

Happy and sad. Thanks for the update.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry about Silky! That must have been sooo hard. We have chickens as well and know about the ups and downs:blackeye:

As an aside, we had eggs in an incubator and hatched one early October. Wouldn’t you know it, it’s a rooster! As I’m typing this, he is crowing in the tv room lol : ). He’s a darling but I’m counting the days until spring (too cold at the moment to move him outside). My kids however are tickled pink!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@soxfan , I'm so sorry to hear about Silky.
Although he succumbed to the disease, you clearly did everything possible for him.
Your brood (feathered and, no doubt, non-feathered) are lucky to have you caring for them.

That's so exciting that all of Kevin's babies are laying eggs!
Yes, they do indeed grow up so fast -- again, feathered and non-feathered. =)2

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry about Silky! That must have been sooo hard. We have chickens as well and know about the ups and downs:blackeye:

As an aside, we had eggs in an incubator and hatched one early October. Wouldn’t you know it, it’s a rooster! As I’m typing this, he is crowing in the tv room lol : ). He’s a darling but I’m counting the days until spring (too cold at the moment to move him outside). My kids however are tickled pink!

That's too funny reading about your rooster crowing in the tv room! :lol-2:
My mother endured me bringing home all kinds of pets when I was growing up.
However, I never brought home a rooster.

I think that's wonderful that you have a rooster hatched from an egg in an incubator!
What a great experience for your kids.

Do you have photos to share of your boy?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about your rooster...so hard to when you lose a pet.

But the babies are laying!!! That is very exciting and your new rooster just looks lovely. He's a real "hunk"!
Its been a joy to watch Kevin's story! It could have turned out really bad but quite the opposite has happened!

You are a good "Mom" to your chicken brood!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someday I hope to have another rooster! Although the girls are just fine without one. :lol::lol::lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only discovered this thread today. Wonderful read! Gorgeous photos! I can't stop smiling over Kevin's adopted babies.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someday I hope to have another rooster! Although the girls are just fine without one. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh gosh, I thought that was a NEW rooster :oops:...RIP beautiful guy.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw I'm sorry about your rooster soxfan :(2

Love the pics of Kevin's babies, they are beautiful!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is such a feel good thread!! Kevin’s babies are beauties and you’re so kind in helping her become a mama.

My sweet husband has been wanting chickens ever since moving back to our home state from upstate NY. His brood was always up to something funny. Unfortunately now, we live in an area with a strict HOA but would eventually like to have more space to roam once the kiddos are out of the house and on their own. (Our oldest is 9. Lol!) Hopefully you will keep this thread updated with their shenanigans!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just came across your thread @soxfan and indeed it is like the most amazing one ever! I just love chickens, loved playing with them as a kid and you taught us so much about them. They are so smart, much smarter than many think, look at your swimmer wow, the sled, so funny and sweet, what a momma Kevin has proven to be.

I hope you will keep posting pix and updates and I somehow hope that you will have a new rooster even though no one can replace gorgeous Silky. I also wish you had more babies for us to enjoy but please only do it at your own pace. :bigsmile:... although this thread is just awesome. Cannot wait for more fun news and hopefully no bad news at all!

Thanks for sharing your story with your family and awesome chickens! :love:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hows the feathery family??? I found something interesting to look at....

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...l-chickens-in-new-coffee-table-book-1.4567639

cheers--Sharon

I saw that! Very cool pics. The family is doing good, although one of my buff orpingtons disappeared one day and hasn't been seen since:( I am sure a fisher or fox got her. Funny thing, though- it hasn't come back for any more. So I'm down to 13 from 14. Her name was bantam because she was so tiny and timid. But she grew into a gorgeous hen and ended up at the top of the pecking order before she disappeared. So sad. I miss her:(

My easter egger, Roxanne has started to lay beautiful green eggs! And kevin's babies are egg laying machines who frequently give us some double-yolk eggs!!

IMG_6185.jpg IMG_6266.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results